US Navy

Average Difficulty
21 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Direct Input Officer Nuclear Power Instructor (1210) Interview

Direct Input Officer Nuclear Power Instructor (1210)
Washington, DC

I applied through a recruiter and interviewed at US Navy.

Interview Details – Found out about opportunity to get paid E-6 or E-7 pay for up to 2.5 years while still a full time university student from Navy recruiter at college job fair. Met high GPA requirements, so applied. Went on familiarization trip to Naval Nuclear Power Training Command in South Carolina to see what Nuclear Power Instructors (Direct Input Officers) do. Got to talk to several current instructors to get their opinions and hear about their experiences. Went to Washington Navy Yard for 2-3 technical interviews and one brief personality interview with 4-star Admiral Director of Navy Nuclear Propulsion. Looking back after many years, everything went as promised.

Interview Question – Why... repeatedly... From the Admiral.   Answer Question

Contract Specialist Interview

Contract Specialist
Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 2+ months - interviewed at US Navy in July 2012.

Interview Details – Situation based scenarios with an emphasis on degree requirements and work experiences. They are looking for a business background and common sense as well. Knowledge of the agency mission is very important in answering the interview questions.

Interview Question – Where do you see yourself in ten years?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation but salary was acceptable.

Legislative Liaison Interview

Legislative Liaison
Washington, DC

I applied through other source and the process took a day - interviewed at US Navy.

Interview Details – 3 levels of review. Immediate boss, lunch with prospecive peers, Deputy and then Chief of Legislative Affairs

Interview Question – Biggest weakness?   Answer Question

Underwater Archeology Branch Internship Interview

Underwater Archeology Branch Internship
Washington, DC

I applied through college or university - interviewed at US Navy in June 2013.

Interview Details – Phone interview about 30 minutes long. Not too bad, interviewers were very friendly.

Interview Question – Tell me about yourself.   Answer Question

Program Management Interview

Program Management
Washington, DC

I interviewed at US Navy in April 2010.

Interview Details – Once already in the Navy there is not a formal interview process for a program management position in the Acquisition Community. There is a standard format for a written submission. The submission needs to detail all relevant experience, includes performance evaluations, and has some sections for discussion. A selection board meets to review the applications received and chose the best qualified candidate.

Interview Question – It was all written, so plenty of time to think through answers.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiations for salary and benefits. The Navy has standard pay scale.

Naval Officer Interview

Naval Officer
Washington, DC

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at US Navy.

Interview Details – Interviewed with head of Nuclear Power program in Washington, DC. Prior to the interview I had to be screened medically/psychologically and be reviewed for technical knowledge by three separate groups.

Interview Question – Are you sure you know what you are getting yourself into?   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Nuclear Submarine Officer Interview

Nuclear Submarine Officer
Washington, DC

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 6 months - interviewed at US Navy.

Interview Details – Must possess a crystal clean record (medically, legally)
Pass 2-3 hours of Technical Interview (Math, physics)
Pass 5-10 minute Personal Interview (4-Star Admiral of the Nuclear Navy
Graduate Officer Candidate School (Physical and Academic Training)
Graduate Nuclear Power School (Classroom - 6months)
Graduate Nuclear Prototype (Practical - 6 months)
Graduate Submarine School ( Classroom and practical - 10 weeks)

Negotiation Details – No negotiations, you take what they offer or you walk.

Nuclear Surface Officer Interview

Nuclear Surface Officer
Washington, DC

Interview Details – Participate in two technical interviews and a personal interview with the admiral in charge of Naval Nuclear Power in order to qualify for the training program.

Interview Question – This varies greatly depending on your personal experience, college transcript, etc. I got asked basic physics and algebra questions through most of my technical interviews, but I know of some people who have gone in and been asked to design a nuclear power plant.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There is no negotiation in the Navy.

Entry Level Interview

Entry Level
Washington, DC

I interviewed at US Navy in December 2012.

Interview Details – Met them at my college career fair months ago and they called me and asked if they could have my transcript and then they told me about the application process. First to look over my grades, security clearance, drug test, and then finally the offer. The recruiter said there might not be an offer for a while depending on job openings but they keep you in the system.

Nuclear Submarine Officer Interview

Nuclear Submarine Officer
Washington, DC

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at US Navy in January 2008.

Interview Details – I was in school at USNA and was told that i was not going to be a surface warfare officer and i had an interview with ADM Do

Interview Question – What would i do to improve my grades   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There is no negotiation, they tell you you are hired and that's it. standardized pay.

Interviews for Top Jobs at US Navy

Worked for US Navy? Contribute to the Community!

US Navy Videos

US Navy – Why Work for Us?

A Life-Changing Opportunity Waiting It’s not just the world-class training, competitive salary, generous benefits and opportunities to earn an advanced education. It’s more than the immense responsibilities Navy… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at US Navy interview questions and advice in Washington, DC. All 21 interview reviews posted anonymously by US Navy employees and interview candidates.