US Patent and Trademark Office Interview Questions in Alexandria, VA

Updated Jun 22, 2015

2.4

Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office (Alexandria, VA) in April 2015.

Interview

I applied on or about December 2014. I was interviewed on April 7. First we tried to connect on video but that didn't work so he called me on phone. Interview went pretty smooth, he described the all the process and expections, that lasted about 20-25 minutes. It's been 5 weeks now but I still haven't heard anything from them yet, so I gave up all the hopes now. But I will update it if I hear abything from them.

Interview Questions

• He asked me all the behavioral questions, nothing about the electrical engineering. Four projects at the same time how would you handle, any positive critism, have you ever persuaded somebody ... Like that   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office (Alexandria, VA) in April 2015.

Interview

I was interviewed by phone. Interviewer asked the five questions, each of which is described in several related Patent Examiner interview posts on this site. The interview was an SPE (as opposed to an HR Hiring Manager) and he did not ask for any details or clarifications. I don't believe that there was a stated time limit for each answer.

Interview Questions

• Describe how you would prioritize four things that need to be completed at the same time.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office (Alexandria, VA) in December 2014.

Interview

Applied online and was contacted about a week after the posting closed. If you're referred for an interview they give you one date and time for a phone interview that can absolutely not be changed. The phone interview lasts about 30 minutes. There are 2 or 3 typical behavioral questions for example: if you have 3 tasks due at the same time how do you prioritize them.

Interview Questions

• Interviewer seemed a little unprepared. Asked about past projects, what department you were interested in, why you want to work there. All pretty standard.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office (Alexandria, VA) in November 2014.

Interview

Applied through USAJobs back in September, and the position closed sometime in October. Received frequent email updates and finally an invitation to an Interview in November. Interview was done through Webex (webcam optional), and I was asked the same questions already mentioned in other glassdoor posts. Interview lasted about 30 minutes total. Interviewer was friendly, but English was not her native language. Like other people mentioned, the interviewer doesn't really have any hiring power.

Interview Questions

• Questions asked: 1. When is your earliest availability? 2. Describe a time when you received constructive criticism and how you handled it. 3. Describe a time when you had to take on a project that required extensive research. 4. Describe a time when you had a very short deadline to complete a project/task.   8 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office (Alexandria, VA) in August 2014.

Interview

The hiring process took 6+ weeks. After 3 weeks of the cut-off I was scheduled for an interview. The interview was very easy. They basically ask the same questions listed here. Two weeks after my interview I received an email saying that I was selected and I will be receiving and official offer soon.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office (Alexandria, VA) in July 2014.

Interview

I applied online through USAJobs.Com and faxed my unofficial transcripts. About a month after the position closed I interviewed with an SPE which went really well and about a month later I got a call from hr with an offer. All the questions asked are already listed on this site BUT be prepared to answer questions about your resume at the end of your interview.Be patient, no news is good news, it took two long months for an offer but it came. If you're currently in the hiring and interviewing process I hope this was helpful and I wish you guys the best of luck.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No Negotiation pay given by GS level

Application

Interview

The interview was by phone, but very similar to an in-person interview. There was also a video conference option, but we did not make use of this facility. We discussed how I might handle different scenarios discussed elsewhere on this site such as how I handle criticism and reviewed some elements of my resume and prior experience. The interviewer also provided an opportunity for me to ask questions and we discussed general working conditions.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office (Alexandria, VA) in July 2014.

Interview

Applied through USA job and got a call for interview after a month. the interview was via webEx. about two weeks after the interview, received an offer letter and others paper work that need to filled out.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office (Alexandria, VA) in June 2014.

Interview

Submitted Application via USAJobs website. Taken in the cut-off round, though I had thought I missed the cut-off date. Cut-off date was May 26th, received notification of interview ~2 weeks later, interviewed middle of June, received offer at beginning of July. Very quick processing, very timely responses.

Interview Questions

• Questions are as listed in other reviews. No surprises. Very nice interviewer (SPE), basically told me she hoped I'd get a job there. Great experience overall. Also pushed back start date by two months to allow me to finish my degree.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation. Flexible on start date, salary and benefits are take it or leave it, but with these benefits, its a really nice package anyways.

Design Patent Examiner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office (Alexandria, VA) in May 2014.

Interview

Applied February 2014 and interviewed mid May 2014. Still currently waiting to hear back but I will definitely update. This site is a great resource for the process. My interview consisted of a 15 minute assessment test - basically to see how well you can identify differences and very minor details. That was followed by a group interview with standard questions (all can be found here).

Interview Questions

• Explain the design patent process. This isn't that difficult without proper research here and on their website.   8 Answers