US Patent and Trademark Office

Updated Feb 17, 2015
Updated Feb 17, 2015

2.4

Patent Examiner Interview

I applied online – interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office.

Patent Examiner Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office.

Applied at mid october thru usajobs. After two weeks I got an email for schedule an interview thru WebEx, I got time to check my system works with the webpage. The interview was schedule for 1 month after the email, the interviewer was friendly and things went well, she told me that I will receive the decision by 2-3 weeks after the day of the interview.

Patent Examiner Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office in February 2015.

I applied online using USAJOBS.gov , then after 10 days received email to submit more documents. Two weeks later I received invitation by email for the interview using WebEX with attached file (Candidate Interest Questionnaire). The interview was scheduled one week after the email. I did the interview and the lady was very nice she was from the HR, we did the interview using both camera and voice. The interview took 45 minutes at the end she told me to wait for the response which will take between 4-6 weeks.

Interview Questions
    • The questions are similar to one mentioned on this website:
      Describe a time when you had to persuade someone of your point of view. What did you do and what was the outcome?
      When was the last time you had an assignment that had to get completed quickly and how did you organize/manage your time.
      Have you ever been given positive criticism and how did you handle it?
      She asked me some questions about my background study, my previous job. But she didn't ask me anything about the USPTO.

View Answers (2)

Primary Patent Examiner Interview

The hiring and interview process went very smoothly. I do not have any complains. I believe that all of the people that assisted me in the hiring and interview process were very helpful, responsive and looking out for my best interst.

Interview Questions
    • I did not have a difficult or unexpected question   View Answer
    Non-negotiable

Patent Examiner Interview

I applied online and got a response like in 1 month. I received an email asking for a phone interview. I did an awesome interview because all the questions are the same. She asked me about my resume etc. All the questions are here in the site.

Trademark Examining Attorney Interview

I applied online – interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office.

I applied to this job in November. A few weeks later I was asked to verify I was a Bar member in good standing. Another week later I was asked to write a statement identifying my communication skills, legal skills, and ability to work independently and efficiently. Two weeks later I was given a interview slot - January. Therefore, the process took two months. I was interviewed by three people. The interview was very engaging. The process of becoming a trademark examining att'y was explained and what was to be expected. They explained that the job was fast-paced and asked me to demonstrate a time when I had to work fast and efficiently.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office in January 2015.

We tried to do it via WebEx, but it wasn't working on my computer. So instead we did it over the phone. She started off by explaining the training and what to expect. Then she asked a set of behavioral questions. All of the questions she asked were on this site. I thought up the answers beforehand which is important. After she asked the questions she asked if I had any questions for her. It's always good to have at least a couple of questions ready. The interview lasted for about an hour. One week later I was offered the position in Alexandria starting at a GS-7 step 10.

Interview Questions
    • Have you ever been given a task that had a quick turnaround, and if so how quick and how did you handle it? Have you ever been given positive criticism and how did you handle it? Have you ever had to convince an employer to your viewpoint, and how did it turn out? Have you ever had to do extensive research on a project, and how did you go about the research?   View Answer

Junior Patent Examiner Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office.

Was contaced via email that the company wanted to interview me. The interview was done using video conferencing. I had a feeling part of the initial test was to see if you were able to follow instructions in order to get the video conferencing to work properly. There were about 10 questions asked of you and all of the questions are fairly common.

Interview Questions
    • what would you do if given two tasks and how would you handle it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA
    Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

I applied online – interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office in December 2014.

Applied online and was contacted about a week after the posting closed. If you're referred for an interview they give you one date and time for a phone interview that can absolutely not be changed. The phone interview lasts about 30 minutes. There are 2 or 3 typical behavioral questions for example: if you have 3 tasks due at the same time how do you prioritize them.

Interview Questions
    • Interviewer seemed a little unprepared. Asked about past projects, what department you were interested in, why you want to work there. All pretty standard.   View Answer

Patent Examiner (Mechanical) Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office in December 2014.

I applied online through the usajobs site. The posting closed in mid October, 7 weeks later, early December, I had an interview. The interview was simply done over the phone. All the questions have already been enumerated on glassdoor.

2 weeks after the interview I received an email containing a tentative offer and directions to fill out a background check form.

Interview Questions
    • (1) How would you handle four tasks of equal priority?

(2) Give an example of a time when you had to make a persuasive argument, how did you accomplish it and what was the outcome?

(3) Describe a situation /project you had to prepare a technical paper/presentation.
       - also, describe databases you utilized...

(4) How did you cope with a difficult co-worker?

Answer Question