US Patent and Trademark Office

120 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Very Easy Interview

Patent Examiner

I applied through college or university and interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office.

Interview Details – It was a very informal interview. They were at our school career fair. If I remember correctly, I had a short, quick interview on the spot with the gentleman at the booth. I gave him my resume, talked for a few minutes and received a job offer not too long after that.

Interview Question – It was very casual and no unexpected questions. It was more of what my major was, what kind of classes I took, GPA, etc...   Answer Question

Alexandria, VA

I applied online and the process took 5 months - interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office in July 2012.

Interview Details – Took a phone interview. Basic questions. They asked things like "explain a problem you encountered in the workplace and how you overcame it". The key thing is qualifications. They basically have a check list of the requirements that you must meet before you are considered for employment. If you miss any one of the requirements, your application will be thrown out before it even gets to the hiring manager.

Interview Question – Nothing unexpected   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – They took too long to get back to me.

Attorney-advisor, Trademarks Interview

Attorney-advisor, Trademarks
Alexandria, VA

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office in January 2014.

Interview Details – The interview process began with filing an application on USAJOBS.com. The job announcement closed on November 26, 2013 and I received my first email on that day stating that my application had been received. Approximately ten days later, I received a second email stating that I met the minimum qualifications and that my application would be sent to the selection officials. About a week later, I received an email requesting that I complete and submit a writing sample. The email contained three questions, provided a five-page limit, and a seven-day deadline to complete and submit. I submitted the documentation in mid-December and received notification of my first interview the day after Christmas. The notification came via email and stated that I had been selected for an interview in Washington, D.C., but I might be able to do a teleconference-style interview instead. I completed the first interview during the second week of January. I interviewed with three individuals, each of whom worked as a supervisor for trademark attorneys. The interviewers were friendly and cordial and told me a great deal about the position and their expectation of attorneys working there. In total the interview lasted approximately forty minutes. At the close of my first interview, I was told that they would finish interviews up that week, and could take up to two weeks after the close of first interviews to determine who would move on to a second interview. I received an email the same day as the first interviews closed inviting me to the second interview that MUST be done in DC. I received approximately eight days notice of the second interview.

The "second interview" was actually a second and third interview, as I spoke with two panels back to back. Each panel consisted of approximately eight law office managers or supervisors who asked a litany of questions. Most were typical interview questions, "Tell me about a time when..." sort of questions. The first panel lasted about 35 minutes; the second lasted a little less. I received a phone call about two weeks after my second interview tentatively offering me a position. I received a call from Human Resources (my first contact since the last mentioned) exactly two weeks after that asking if accepted the position.

Interview Question – Nothing Unusual   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Salary and Start Date are both non-negotiable.

Very Easy Interview

Patent Examiner

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office.

Interview Details – The interview process was short -about 30 minutes. It consisted of basic questions. Also, the interviewer was very polite and knowledgeable. I received an offer about 3 months after applying.

Interview Question – The questions were as noted in other reviews. They were very general. For example, one question posed was, "... can you give me an example of when you had to document and present a problem to your management team?".   Answer Question

Alexandria, VA

I applied online and the process took 2+ months - interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office in January 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online in November, recieved phone interview through email in early January.

Interview Question – All questions were previously listed here.   Answer Question

Arlington, VA

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office in September 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online and received a telephone interview through email.

Interview Question – Nothing was unexpected after reading through other's reviews. The Interview was straight forward. No tricky questions   Answer Question

Senior Attorney Interview

Senior Attorney

I applied online and the process took 2+ months - interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office.

Interview Details – You'll be asked to demonstrate your knowledge of the Trademark operations, your ability to deal with conflict, and your ability to multitask. Your are being hired to manage tasks and people, so you should be prepared to discuss when you have done this in the past and how you positively resolved conflicts or accomplished tasks in difficult circumstances. Also, remember that while there may be many people who are qualified to to do the internal component of this job, some of them might not be TRUSTED to do the external component of representing the Office to the public. This is paramount in the minds of those hiring you, while not necessarily apparent to you in the interview.

Interview Question – What is your greatest weakness?   View Answer

Alexandria, VA

I applied online and the process took 2+ months - interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office in November 2012.

Interview Details – Applied online and was invited for a phone interview. The phone interview mostly involved how questions about multitasking. I then received periodic emails about the application moving through various review stages. You can also check the status of your application online. The careers webpage associated with the US Patent and Trademark Office is fairly helpful.

Interview Question – If you have more than one task, how do you get them done?   View Answer

Alexandria, VA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office in September 2013.

Interview Details – I applied thru. usajobs process took 2 months. After 2 weeks closing date I received an email and says" eligible" Then received another e-mail to schedule an interview and got interview on september. All questions were behavioral type. It took 30 minutes. I had good experience but received an email mid october and not selected

Interview Question – nothing was unexpected question   Answer Question

Patent Examiner

Interview Details – I applied in late July for the August 11, 2013 deadline of ChemE Patent Examiner GS-7/GS-9. Interviewed on 9/11. I thought the interview went really well. It lasted about 35 minutes. The questions consisted of mainly behavioral questions as other interviewers previously noted. Glassdoor really prepared me for the interview. On 10/7 I got referred but not selected for GS-7. Few days later, received notification, GS-9 was also referred but not selected.

My background: MS in ChemE with over 5 years of biotech industry experience.

Interview Question – All questions were previously noted on Glassdoor   Answer Question