US Patent and Trademark Office

Average Difficulty
115 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Arlington, VA

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office in September 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online and received a telephone interview through email.

Interview Question – Nothing was unexpected after reading through other's reviews. The Interview was straight forward. No tricky questions   Answer Question

Senior Attorney Interview

Senior Attorney

I applied online and the process took 2+ months - interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office.

Interview Details – You'll be asked to demonstrate your knowledge of the Trademark operations, your ability to deal with conflict, and your ability to multitask. Your are being hired to manage tasks and people, so you should be prepared to discuss when you have done this in the past and how you positively resolved conflicts or accomplished tasks in difficult circumstances. Also, remember that while there may be many people who are qualified to to do the internal component of this job, some of them might not be TRUSTED to do the external component of representing the Office to the public. This is paramount in the minds of those hiring you, while not necessarily apparent to you in the interview.

Interview Question – What is your greatest weakness?   View Answer

Alexandria, VA

I applied online and the process took 2+ months - interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office in November 2012.

Interview Details – Applied online and was invited for a phone interview. The phone interview mostly involved how questions about multitasking. I then received periodic emails about the application moving through various review stages. You can also check the status of your application online. The careers webpage associated with the US Patent and Trademark Office is fairly helpful.

Interview Question – If you have more than one task, how do you get them done?   View Answer

Alexandria, VA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office in September 2013.

Interview Details – I applied thru. usajobs process took 2 months. After 2 weeks closing date I received an email and says" eligible" Then received another e-mail to schedule an interview and got interview on september. All questions were behavioral type. It took 30 minutes. I had good experience but received an email mid october and not selected

Interview Question – nothing was unexpected question   Answer Question

Patent Examiner

Interview Details – I applied in late July for the August 11, 2013 deadline of ChemE Patent Examiner GS-7/GS-9. Interviewed on 9/11. I thought the interview went really well. It lasted about 35 minutes. The questions consisted of mainly behavioral questions as other interviewers previously noted. Glassdoor really prepared me for the interview. On 10/7 I got referred but not selected for GS-7. Few days later, received notification, GS-9 was also referred but not selected.

My background: MS in ChemE with over 5 years of biotech industry experience.

Interview Question – All questions were previously noted on Glassdoor   Answer Question

Alexandria, VA

I applied online and the process took 2+ months - interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office in September 2013.

Interview Details – I applied in late August for the GS-7 ME position on USAjobs, had a phone interview on September 11th, and got the position on October 10th. The interview was really relaxed, as long as you look through the questions posted here you will be fine.

My backround: BS, no IP experience, 2 years in industry, and 1year of grad school

Interview Question – There weren't any difficult questions. Most questions posted here were asked, as well as some pertaining to my resume and previous employment.   Answer Question

Interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office

Interview Details – I applied in July for CSEPatent Examiner GS-7/GS-9. Interviewed on 9/11. I also thought the interview went really well. It lasted about 25 minutes. The questions consisted of mainly behavioral questions as other interviewers previously noted. Glassdoor really prepared me for the interview.I got referred but not selected.
My background: MS in CSE with over 5 years of software experience. My interview was taken by a Chenese person. I heard later that they are mostly hiring Chinese. It is not fair.

Interview Question – I had a heard time understanding Chinese Accent.   Answer Question

Junior Patent Examiner Interview

Junior Patent Examiner

I applied online - interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office in September 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online in August. I had an interview in September. Interview was a phone interview about 30 minutes long. I was asked the same questions as posted on here, as well as what my interests were so they can place in an art unit. I was informed on the day of the government shutdown I was not selected for the position. Coincidence?

Interview Question – When did you give a technical presentation? When was the last time you had a confrontation?   Answer Question

Alexandria, VA

Interview Details – Some background: Ph.D. EE (GPA 3.9/4), 5 years of experience in the semiconductor industry. Applied online through USAJOB for the position closing on 8/11/13. Received a notification of selection on 8/30/13 then a phone interview appointment on 9/5/13.
The interview proceeded well. I was asked 6 standard questions which were mentioned several times on this website: describe a difficult problem that you had to solve timely, describe an occurrence where you had to convince your boss about something, how do you handle criticism...and so forth. I advise some preparation and thorough revision of the USPTO's introduction presentation.

UPDATE: On Oct 1st 2013, I have received a notification that I did not make the cut after the phone interview. Not the GS9 grade or even the GS7! Seriously? I have a Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering with 5 years of experience and an outstanding professional record, and I though I sold myself pretty well during the interview...And that is not enough for a GS9 position that only requires a Masters? Very disappointed. I wonder if the Gov. Shutdown affected this round of hiring at the USPTO. I would appreciate any info from candidates with a similar strange outcome.

Interview Question – No surprises, all questions were previously rehearsed through preparation material from this site.   Answer Question

Patent Examiner

I applied online and the process took 8 weeks - interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office in September 2013.

Interview Details – It is very similar as described here. My interview was held in late September. Still waiting for their response.

Interview Question – Very straightforward interview. 2 people took my interview. They were very nice and gentle.   Answer Question