US Patent and Trademark Office
www.uspto.gov Alexandria, VA 5000+ Employees

US Patent and Trademark Office Junior Patent Examiner Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Apr 23, 2014

Getting the Interview

Average Difficulty
13 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Junior Patent Examiner

I applied online - interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office in April 2014.

Interview Details – The interviewer did a phone interview and it lasted 30~35 minutes. The questions were pretty standard, but the ones I recall were:
1. Is there a particular area of technology you'd be interested in?
2. Describe a technical project for which you had to do extensive research.
3. Describe a task / project that you had to accomplish with a short turn around time.
4. If you were given 4 projects, all with the same importance and same deadlines, how would you prioritize these projects so that all 4 a completed on time?
5. Describe a situation in which you received constructive criticism about work you have done.

Interview Question – The questions were not difficult, all of them pretty standard. The interviewer mentioned that he is required to ask all applicants a set of standard questions.   View Answer

Alexandria, VA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office in February 2014.

Interview Details – Via web-ex. Interview was casual. Questions asked could be found online. Interview process took 45 min. SPE was very informative and answered all questions I had about the position as well as the hiring process, including the start date of the next class and how long I should expect to hear back from HR.

Interview Question – Do you know what the patent process is like? What is the role of the patent examiner?   Answer Question

Junior Patent Examiner

I applied online - interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office in September 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online in August. I had an interview in September. Interview was a phone interview about 30 minutes long. I was asked the same questions as posted on here, as well as what my interests were so they can place in an art unit. I was informed on the day of the government shutdown I was not selected for the position. Coincidence?

Interview Question – When did you give a technical presentation? When was the last time you had a confrontation?   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Junior Patent Examiner

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office in September 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online in late July and was emailed a phone interview offer in early September. The interview was very basic and scripted. All of the questions asked were already posted here. The actual interview lasted about 20 minutes and then there was a 10 minute time period in which the interviewer kept asking if I had any questions. Still haven't heard anything back since the interview.

Interview Question – When was there a time you had to convince your supervisor and what did you do to try to persuade them? Describe a situation when you received constructive criticism and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Alexandria, VA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office in February 2012.

Interview Details – The interview process begins by going registering and uploading your information (e.g., resume, transcripts) at usajobs.gov. Check several boxes in the questionnaire to show you are qualified. In about a month, they make a determine if you are "selected for an interview." After about another month, you are either "selected" or not; it is online.

Interview Question – "Why should we hire you?" It was the first question asked.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotation. Take it or leave it.

Alexandria, VA

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office in February 2012.

Interview Details – Four months after I submitted my resume at USAJOBS.gov I received an email stating that I was selected as a possible employee if I submitted a lot of paperwork that was sent along with it; I was given roughly 2 weeks to submit them.

About two weeks after submission I had an interview with a primary examiner and an HR person from the USPTO. They asked questions relating to customer service, technical interests, past experiences at work, and even life questions. The interview was fairly short and the interviewers were very nice.

Less than one month after that I received notification that I had been selected to be hired upon submitting more forms, which I did. From the start of my first contact from the USPTO to when I started was roughly three months.

Interview Question – What was the hardest customer service situation you ever dealt with?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was none. The USPTO runs on government salary structure.

Junior Patent Examiner

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office.

Interview Details – phone interview, quick and painless if you know your stuff

Interview Question – situational questions about potential obstacles faced on the job   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – them: do you want this job with this salary?
me: yes, thank you, see you soon

Alexandria, VA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office in March 2012.

Interview Details – applied in February, interviewed in March, not selected in April. In applied on USAJOBS.gov - I already had my federal resume prepared. I carefully prepared my cover letter and did a lot of research to prepare for the interview. Perhaps I didn't get an offer because I was too eager, just guessing. One phone interview with 2 patent managers - both were very nice. Asked what I knew about the USPTO, how would I handle difficult people and to give details about my work experience. It was difficult to hear sometimes over the phone because they were both on speakers. I aksed a question but they either misunderstood or gave me additional information so we kind of went round and round on that one. They were very eager to tell me about the orientation and how you would progress in the position.

Interview Question – Tell me how you handle difficult people.   Answer Question

Arlington, VA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office in December 2011.

Interview Details – Interviewed with one principal patent examiner and one HR rep at the same time. Was asked to explain my background, qualifications, interest in the job and knowledge of the patent prosecution.

Interview Question – What is your understanding of the US and global IP systems?   Answer Question

Alexandria, VA

The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office in May 2007.

Interview Details – 1. Submitted my resume to the USPTO.gov website. Called several times to follow-up, but that did not help. Finally received a call about 5 weeks later. Told them I would be in the D.C. area in a few weeks for a job fair
the USPTO was having. Arranged a meeting then.

2. After that, received another phone-call basically seeing if I could construct an a English with proper sytax and grammar. After that, another 3 weeks passed.
3. Finally, received an email with the offer and salary amount, GS grade. Called and accepted the offer.

Interview Questions

• Describe a project you worked on.   View Answer
  • Describe your understanding of the Patent Application process.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was none. Its the Government. GS scale pretty much leaves no room for negatiation. Either you
have the degree/experience or not.

Interviews for Top Jobs at US Patent and Trademark Office

Worked for US Patent and Trademark Office? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at US Patent and Trademark Office Junior Patent Examiner interview questions and advice. All 13 interview reviews posted anonymously by US Patent and Trademark Office employees and interview candidates.