US Patent and Trademark Office

Updated Jan 20, 2015

2.3

100 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Patent Examiner Interview

I applied online and got a response like in 1 month. I received an email asking for a phone interview. I did an awesome interview because all the questions are the same. She asked me about my resume etc. All the questions are here in the site.

Other Interview Reviews for US Patent and Trademark Office

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

I applied online – interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office in December 2014.

Applied online and was contacted about a week after the posting closed. If you're referred for an interview they give you one date and time for a phone interview that can absolutely not be changed. The phone interview lasts about 30 minutes. There are 2 or 3 typical behavioral questions for example: if you have 3 tasks due at the same time how do you prioritize them.

Interview Questions
    • Interviewer seemed a little unprepared. Asked about past projects, what department you were interested in, why you want to work there. All pretty standard.   View Answer

Patent Examiner Interview

I applied online – interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office.

I applied online and several weeks after the position opening closed I received an email saying I met the minimum qualifications, several weeks later I received an email saying I had been referred, and then a week or so later I received an email offering me an interview. It was a phone interview with general experience/interests questions and 4 behavioral questions.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you had to persuade someone of your point of view. What did you do and what was the outcome?   View Answer

Patent Examiner Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office in November 2014.

I applied on USA Jobs for the round of job announcements that closed on 10/19. I got an email about 4 weeks later saying that I was scheduled for a WebEx interview, which took place about a week later.

The four main interview questions were the exact same as others have posted.

I was interviewed by a supervisory patent examiner who just seemed to be following the script and was disinterested in the whole process. That would make some sense though as they have no hiring power. Other than that, it was okay as it was straightforward and there were no surprises.

I have not yet received an offer but will update if I do.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a project with extensive research.   Answer Question
    • How would you prioritize 4 projects due at the same time and with the same importance?   Answer Question
    • Give an example of a time when you had to make a persuasive argument. How did you accomplish it and what was the outcome?   Answer Question
    • Describe a situation in which you received constructive criticism about work you have done and how you handled it.   Answer Question

Patent Examiner Interview

I applied online. The process took 8 weeksinterviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office in November 2014.

I applied through the usajobs site. The posting closed in mid October. Four weeks later, in mid November, I had the interview. The interviewer was really nice and the questions were the same as seen in glassdoor. I didn't use Webex. It was only a phone interview. The best thing is to prepare really well for all the questions listed in glassdoor.

3 weeks after the interview, I was sent a form to fill out and email back. After I emailed the form back, I received another email with the offer within a day.

Interview Questions
    • How would you handle four tasks of equal priority?
      How did you cope with a difficult co-worker?
      Describe a situation/project you had to prepare a technical paper/presentation.
      Give an example of a time when you had to make a persuasive argument, how did you accomplish it and what was the outcome?

View Answers (28)
    There was no negotiation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office in November 2014.

Applied through USAJobs back in September, and the position closed sometime in October. Received frequent email updates and finally an invitation to an Interview in November. Interview was done through Webex (webcam optional), and I was asked the same questions already mentioned in other glassdoor posts. Interview lasted about 30 minutes total.

Interviewer was friendly, but English was not her native language. Like other people mentioned, the interviewer doesn't really have any hiring power.

Interview Questions
    • Questions asked:

1. When is your earliest availability?
      2. Describe a time when you received constructive criticism and how you handled it.
      3. Describe a time when you had to take on a project that required extensive research.
      4. Describe a time when you had a very short deadline to complete a project/task.

View Answers (8)

Patent Examiner Interview

I applied online – interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office in November 2014.

Patent Examiner Interview

I have an interview with patent hiring manager on 20th November 2014. Interview questions were like shown in glassdoor web.Interview process was going very fine.But i don't have an offer yet although passed seven weeks.I think that they aren't hiring me.

Patent Examiner Interview

I applied online – interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office.

Applied in May and interviewed in June. Interviewer asked standard behavioral questions that are listed below. There were about 4 behavioral questions and then there was a question about my technical area of interest. Great interview experience even though I didn't receive an offer.

Interview Questions
    • Describe time with very short deadline.

How would you prioritize 4 projects due at the same time and with same importance?

Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office in August 2014.

The hiring process took 6+ weeks. After 3 weeks of the cut-off I was scheduled for an interview. The interview was very easy. They basically ask the same questions listed here. Two weeks after my interview I received an email saying that I was selected and I will be receiving and official offer soon.