US Patent and Trademark Office Patent Examiner Interview Questions

Updated Aug 24, 2015

2.3

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office (New York, NY) in August 2015.

Interview

Applied online through USAJobs and was notified that my application had been forwarded a week after the application deadline. Week later scheduled for an interview with an SPE. Video conference failed so had to talk over the phone. Questions were standard that have been posted before. Interviewer made that very clear.

Interview Questions

• What areas would I be interested in?   6 Answers

Other Interview Reviews for US Patent and Trademark Office

Patent Examiner Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office.

Interview

The process was exactly the same as they posted on the process. They contacted after about 2 to 3 weeks for an interview. After the interview, they waited for about a month for making the decision. Once hired, training is about 12 months.

Patent Examiner Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office.

Interview

I applied on USAJOBS and in about a month or so got an email inviting to do a phone interview. The phone interview took about 30 minutes. The person interviewing (an SPE) asked the same questions already mentioned here on glassdoor. I was told I should hear back in 2-3 weeks whether or not I was selected.

Interview Questions

• The person interviewing asked the same questions already mentioned here on glassdoor.   2 Answers

Patent Examiner Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office in May 2015.

Interview

Applied online on USAJobs. I received an interview about a couple weeks after I applied on USAJobs. They email you a date and time of the interview. You are given an online tool called WebEx to set up the interview. The questions were pretty basic, I believe four questions, all of which are listed on here.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a project where someone else was right and you were wrong.   2 Answers

Patent Examiner Interview

Interview

They asked me about 5 or so questions. The interview was very easy and laidback. The interviewer would be typing out the answers I had responded to about the question. The interview was conducted via a program similar to Skype.

Patent Examiner Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office in April 2015.

Interview

Applied online in early February, got an e-mail for interview first week of April. They give you a specific day and time, and then send you a follow-up e-mail with a link to WebEx. Didn't work for me, so we just spoke on the phone. I spoke with an extremely friendly and nice supervisor, who repeated the questions twice and told me to relax and answer them clearly. Interview was last week, told me I would hear back in 2-3 weeks, so will edit if I do get an offer!

Interview Questions

• All the questions that were asked were on here, so look at them!   28 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Virginia Beach, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office (Virginia Beach, VA) in April 2015.

Interview

I applied on the 8th of March; they responded four days later saying they have received my application for Patent Examiner (Computer Engineering) GS-7. I received another email on the 1st of April with a WebEx Interview Invitational for the 7th of April. I did the interview with the video conference and phone call. The interview was standard behavioral questions. Update: I called HR; they've made their selections for the rest of this fiscal year.

Interview Questions

• All of the interview questions are listed on this site.   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office (Washington, DC) in April 2015.

Interview

The process was smooth. I applied online via USAjobs and received an email about a month later saying I made the second cut-off. Then about 2 weeks later I received an email that I was referred to a selecting official. A couple weeks after that I was sent an email with a time and date for an interview via WebEx. The interview was simple and straightforward. All the questions are here on glassdoor. It's been about 2 weeks and I'm waiting to hear back.

Interview Questions

• No questions were unexpected   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office (Alexandria, VA) in April 2015.

Interview

I applied on or about December 2014. I was interviewed on April 7. First we tried to connect on video but that didn't work so he called me on phone. Interview went pretty smooth, he described the all the process and expections, that lasted about 20-25 minutes. It's been 5 weeks now but I still haven't heard anything from them yet, so I gave up all the hopes now. But I will update it if I hear abything from them.

Interview Questions

• He asked me all the behavioral questions, nothing about the electrical engineering. Four projects at the same time how would you handle, any positive critism, have you ever persuaded somebody ... Like that   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office (Alexandria, VA) in April 2015.

Interview

I was interviewed by phone. Interviewer asked the five questions, each of which is described in several related Patent Examiner interview posts on this site. The interview was an SPE (as opposed to an HR Hiring Manager) and he did not ask for any details or clarifications. I don't believe that there was a stated time limit for each answer.

Interview Questions

• Describe how you would prioritize four things that need to be completed at the same time.   Answer Question