US Patent and Trademark Office Patent Examiner Interview Questions

Updated Sep 10, 2014

2.3

89 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Patent Examiner Interview

I applied online – interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office.

Applied in May and interviewed in June. Interviewer asked standard behavioral questions that are listed below. There were about 4 behavioral questions and then there was a question about my technical area of interest. Great interview experience even though I didn't receive an offer.

Interview Questions
  • Describe time with very short deadline.

How would you prioritize 4 projects due at the same time and with same importance?
      Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for US Patent and Trademark Office

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office in August 2014.

The hiring process took 6+ weeks. After 3 weeks of the cut-off I was scheduled for an interview. The interview was very easy. They basically ask the same questions listed here. Two weeks after my interview I received an email saying that I was selected and I will be receiving and official offer soon.

Patent Examiner Interview

I applied online – interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office in August 2014.

Patent Examiner Interview

Applied for the position through usajobs. About two weeks after the close of the post date, I received an e-mail regarding an interview. The interview was a phone conference through webex (webcam not necessary). The interview questions are exactly the same ones posted by other users. They said i should expect to hear from them after a couple of weeks. I will update this post after i hear from them.

Interview Questions
    • They asked pretty standard behavioral questions. They also asked about my education and past work experience.   View Answer

Patent Examiner Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office.

Applied online in the mid of April 2014 and got interviewed second week of June 2014. Got the offer after two weeks of interview.

Got an email to schedule an interview after 1 1/2 month of applying. Scheduled an interview from a week after getting the email and it was a WebEx interview. During the call, there was one hiring manager to whom I talked to. Hiring manager who conducted the interview was friendly and pleasant. She first explained the job requirement and gave a job description. Then she started with the interview. Along with the 4 questions given below, she asked me about my work. The interview call lasted for 45 minutes.

Interview Questions
    • Questions asked:
      1. Describe a situation/project you had to prepare a technical paper/presentation.
      2. Describe a task/project that you had to accomplish with a short turn around time.
      3. Describe a situation in which you received constructive criticism about work you have done and how you handled it.
       4.Give an example of a time when you had to make a persuasive argument, how did you accomplish it and what was the outcome?

Give an example for each situation.
        View Answers (21)
    There was no negotiation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

I applied online. The process took 7 weeksinterviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office in July 2014.

Received an e-mail with an interview date. Interview was done online using webcam and telephone. The interviewer was a very nice person and the questions were that same questions that was mentioned by others. After 15 days I received the offer by email.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing difficult or unexpected. Just prepare the questions that were mentioned by glass door users.   Answer Question
    No negotiation

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

I applied online. The process took 8 weeksinterviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office in July 2014.

Applied in May 2014. Interviewed on 7/24. Interviewer was very courteous, and asked me about my education, followed by several questions on this site. Was told that I did a great job and recommended for 3 areas. Three weeks went by, and did not hear back so called the agency contact, and was told that I was not selected!

Who tells someone they were a great candidate and recommends them, only to turn around and reject them???

Interview Questions
    • There were no difficult questions. Just read through the questions given on this site. They ask the same ones over and over again.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office in July 2014.

Applied online. Received interview notification two weeks later. Had video interview two weeks after that on 7/24. Standard questions that have been previously listed in other posts. Talk about a time when you had to persuade some one. What would you do if you must finish three projects at the same time. Discussed some of your professional experiences. Overall an smooth interview. Received selection notification exactly two weeks after that.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office in July 2014.

I applied online through USAJobs.Com and faxed my unofficial transcripts. About a month after the position closed I interviewed with an SPE which went really well and about a month later I got a call from hr with an offer. All the questions asked are already listed on this site BUT be prepared to answer questions about your resume at the end of your interview.Be patient, no news is good news, it took two long months for an offer but it came. If you're currently in the hiring and interviewing process I hope this was helpful and I wish you guys the best of luck.

No Negotiation pay given by GS level

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office in June 2014.

Submitted Application via USAJobs website. Taken in the cut-off round, though I had thought I missed the cut-off date. Cut-off date was May 26th, received notification of interview ~2 weeks later, interviewed middle of June, received offer at beginning of July. Very quick processing, very timely responses.

Interview Questions
    • Questions are as listed in other reviews. No surprises. Very nice interviewer (SPE), basically told me she hoped I'd get a job there. Great experience overall. Also pushed back start date by two months to allow me to finish my degree.   Answer Question
    No negotiation. Flexible on start date, salary and benefits are take it or leave it, but with these benefits, its a really nice package anyways.