US Patent and Trademark Office

www.uspto.gov

US Patent and Trademark Office Patent Examiner Interview Questions in Washington, DC

Updated Jan 19, 2015
Updated Jan 19, 2015

2.3

35 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

I applied online – interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office in December 2014.

Applied online and was contacted about a week after the posting closed. If you're referred for an interview they give you one date and time for a phone interview that can absolutely not be changed. The phone interview lasts about 30 minutes. There are 2 or 3 typical behavioral questions for example: if you have 3 tasks due at the same time how do you prioritize them.

Interview Questions
  • Interviewer seemed a little unprepared. Asked about past projects, what department you were interested in, why you want to work there. All pretty standard.   View Answer

Other Interview Reviews for US Patent and Trademark Office

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office in November 2014.

Applied through USAJobs back in September, and the position closed sometime in October. Received frequent email updates and finally an invitation to an Interview in November. Interview was done through Webex (webcam optional), and I was asked the same questions already mentioned in other glassdoor posts. Interview lasted about 30 minutes total.

Interviewer was friendly, but English was not her native language. Like other people mentioned, the interviewer doesn't really have any hiring power.

Interview Questions
    • Questions asked:

1. When is your earliest availability?
      2. Describe a time when you received constructive criticism and how you handled it.
      3. Describe a time when you had to take on a project that required extensive research.
      4. Describe a time when you had a very short deadline to complete a project/task.

View Answers (8)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office in August 2014.

The hiring process took 6+ weeks. After 3 weeks of the cut-off I was scheduled for an interview. The interview was very easy. They basically ask the same questions listed here. Two weeks after my interview I received an email saying that I was selected and I will be receiving and official offer soon.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office in July 2014.

I applied online through USAJobs.Com and faxed my unofficial transcripts. About a month after the position closed I interviewed with an SPE which went really well and about a month later I got a call from hr with an offer. All the questions asked are already listed on this site BUT be prepared to answer questions about your resume at the end of your interview.Be patient, no news is good news, it took two long months for an offer but it came. If you're currently in the hiring and interviewing process I hope this was helpful and I wish you guys the best of luck.

No Negotiation pay given by GS level

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office in June 2014.

Submitted Application via USAJobs website. Taken in the cut-off round, though I had thought I missed the cut-off date. Cut-off date was May 26th, received notification of interview ~2 weeks later, interviewed middle of June, received offer at beginning of July. Very quick processing, very timely responses.

Interview Questions
    • Questions are as listed in other reviews. No surprises. Very nice interviewer (SPE), basically told me she hoped I'd get a job there. Great experience overall. Also pushed back start date by two months to allow me to finish my degree.   Answer Question
    No negotiation. Flexible on start date, salary and benefits are take it or leave it, but with these benefits, its a really nice package anyways.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office in March 2014.

See the other posts to get an idea of the behavioral questions asked. This was for a biomedical examiner position. I prepared an eight-page document over the course of a few days with possible questions and answers and practiced them the night before. I was able to answer most of the questions as rehearsed. Interviewer was casual and nice. I asked a lot of questions myself. I ended the interview weakly, though, which made me paranoid.

Few weeks after the interview, I got two emails saying I did not make the GS-7 or GS-9 opening. USAjobs profile was updated as well. Very sad to see those as I was very excited for the opportunity and was thinking of making it a career (I have a JD).

Interview Questions
    • How would you finish a job that was due tomorrow and give an example.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office in January 2014.

Applied online in November, recieved phone interview through email in early January.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office in September 2013.

Some background: Ph.D. EE (GPA 3.9/4), 5 years of experience in the semiconductor industry. Applied online through USAJOB for the position closing on 8/11/13. Received a notification of selection on 8/30/13 then a phone interview appointment on 9/5/13.
    The interview proceeded well. I was asked 6 standard questions which were mentioned several times on this website: describe a difficult problem that you had to solve timely, describe an occurrence where you had to convince your boss about something, how do you handle criticism...and so forth. I advise some preparation and thorough revision of the USPTO's introduction presentation.

UPDATE: On Oct 1st 2013, I have received a notification that I did not make the cut after the phone interview. Not the GS9 grade or even the GS7! Seriously? I have a Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering with 5 years of experience and an outstanding professional record, and I though I sold myself pretty well during the interview...And that is not enough for a GS9 position that only requires a Masters? Very disappointed. I wonder if the Gov. Shutdown affected this round of hiring at the USPTO. I would appreciate any info from candidates with a similar strange outcome.

Interview Questions
    • No surprises, all questions were previously rehearsed through preparation material from this site.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office.

Only phone interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

I applied in late August for the GS-7 ME position on USAjobs, had a phone interview on September 11th, and got the position on October 10th. The interview was really relaxed, as long as you look through the questions posted here you will be fine.

My backround: BS, no IP experience, 2 years in industry, and 1year of grad school

Interview Questions
    • There weren't any difficult questions. Most questions posted here were asked, as well as some pertaining to my resume and previous employment.   Answer Question