US Patent and Trademark Office Interview Questions in Virginia

Updated Aug 24, 2015

2.4

Design Patent Examiner Interview

Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office (Arlington, VA) in July 2015.

Interview

Apply on usajobs.com, the process takes about 8 weeks. Expect to hear back about an interview week 4. They interviewed for two weeks on week 6 and 7 and notified applicants on week 8 with job offers. The interview is two part. The first is answering a set of object description questions and visual acuity problems (i.e. unfolding a cube, describing different angles of an object, etc). You are alone in a room for 15 minutes. Second part is a face to face with three managers.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you know you were correct and someone else was not. Be specific.   1 Answer
    • Describe a time when you were wrong and someone else was not. Be specific.   Answer Question
    • Describe a time when you were faced with a complex problem and the outcome was successful. Be specific.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Virginia Beach, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office (Virginia Beach, VA) in April 2015.

Interview

I applied on the 8th of March; they responded four days later saying they have received my application for Patent Examiner (Computer Engineering) GS-7. I received another email on the 1st of April with a WebEx Interview Invitational for the 7th of April. I did the interview with the video conference and phone call. The interview was standard behavioral questions. Update: I called HR; they've made their selections for the rest of this fiscal year.

Interview Questions

• All of the interview questions are listed on this site.   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office (Alexandria, VA) in April 2015.

Interview

I applied on or about December 2014. I was interviewed on April 7. First we tried to connect on video but that didn't work so he called me on phone. Interview went pretty smooth, he described the all the process and expections, that lasted about 20-25 minutes. It's been 5 weeks now but I still haven't heard anything from them yet, so I gave up all the hopes now. But I will update it if I hear abything from them.

Interview Questions

• He asked me all the behavioral questions, nothing about the electrical engineering. Four projects at the same time how would you handle, any positive critism, have you ever persuaded somebody ... Like that   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office (Alexandria, VA) in April 2015.

Interview

I was interviewed by phone. Interviewer asked the five questions, each of which is described in several related Patent Examiner interview posts on this site. The interview was an SPE (as opposed to an HR Hiring Manager) and he did not ask for any details or clarifications. I don't believe that there was a stated time limit for each answer.

Interview Questions

• Describe how you would prioritize four things that need to be completed at the same time.   Answer Question

Linux Administrative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office (Arlington, VA) in April 2015.

Interview

Quick, Interviewed with 2-3 people, one room, all at the same time. Make sure to bring Identification to get into the building, 2 forms of ID are always helpful in a government building setting, but a driver's license will suffice. A lot of networking questions, and basic linux admin questions.

Interview Questions

• Day to day at previous employeer, network troubleshooting questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Very straight forward, no surprises.

Patent Examiner Mechanical Interview

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office (Richmond, VA) in March 2015.

Interview

Applied online - got an email scheduling the interview - video conference with 2 senior examiners - asked about my background - few questions on thermodynamics and fluid mechanics (just basic college level principles and fundamentals) - why I was interested in the job - told them my current job was not challenging and that I like reviewing stuff - asked if I had questions - asked them how they deal with the job when it gets repetitive - they shared their experiences.

Interview Questions

• What's the cycle consisting of one constant pressure, one constant volume and two isentropic processes?   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiations - accepted to GS-09 step 6

Attorney-advisor, Trademarks Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office (Alexandria, VA) in January 2015.

Interview

The HR department set up an interview after I had applied through USA Jobs and submitted a personal statement (along with the other required documentation). I had an interview over the Internet because the weather was nasty in January. It was a very pleasant interview overall, and the three-person panel made me feel comfortable. Connecting with the server system was a little tricky at first, but the sound and visuals were good. I interviewed with three upper management people. It lasted about 30 minutes. I did get a second and third interview as well.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office (Alexandria, VA) in December 2014.

Interview

Applied online and was contacted about a week after the posting closed. If you're referred for an interview they give you one date and time for a phone interview that can absolutely not be changed. The phone interview lasts about 30 minutes. There are 2 or 3 typical behavioral questions for example: if you have 3 tasks due at the same time how do you prioritize them.

Interview Questions

• Interviewer seemed a little unprepared. Asked about past projects, what department you were interested in, why you want to work there. All pretty standard.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office (Alexandria, VA) in November 2014.

Interview

Applied through USAJobs back in September, and the position closed sometime in October. Received frequent email updates and finally an invitation to an Interview in November. Interview was done through Webex (webcam optional), and I was asked the same questions already mentioned in other glassdoor posts. Interview lasted about 30 minutes total. Interviewer was friendly, but English was not her native language. Like other people mentioned, the interviewer doesn't really have any hiring power.

Interview Questions

• Questions asked: 1. When is your earliest availability? 2. Describe a time when you received constructive criticism and how you handled it. 3. Describe a time when you had to take on a project that required extensive research. 4. Describe a time when you had a very short deadline to complete a project/task.   8 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office (Alexandria, VA) in August 2014.

Interview

The hiring process took 6+ weeks. After 3 weeks of the cut-off I was scheduled for an interview. The interview was very easy. They basically ask the same questions listed here. Two weeks after my interview I received an email saying that I was selected and I will be receiving and official offer soon.