US Patent and Trademark Office Interview Questions in Washington, DC

Updated Jul 27, 2015

2.4

Design Patent Examiner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 8 weeksinterviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office (Arlington, VA) in July 2015.

Interview

Apply on usajobs.com, the process takes about 8 weeks. Expect to hear back about an interview week 4. They interviewed for two weeks on week 6 and 7 and notified applicants on week 8 with job offers. The interview is two part. The first is answering a set of object description questions and visual acuity problems (i.e. unfolding a cube, describing different angles of an object, etc). You are alone in a room for 15 minutes. Second part is a face to face with three managers.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you know you were correct and someone else was not. Be specific.   1 Answer
    • Describe a time when you were wrong and someone else was not. Be specific.   Answer Question
    • Describe a time when you were faced with a complex problem and the outcome was successful. Be specific.   Answer Question

Linux Administrative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office (Arlington, VA) in April 2015.

Interview

Quick, Interviewed with 2-3 people, one room, all at the same time. Make sure to bring Identification to get into the building, 2 forms of ID are always helpful in a government building setting, but a driver's license will suffice. A lot of networking questions, and basic linux admin questions.

Interview Questions

• Day to day at previous employeer, network troubleshooting questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Very straight forward, no surprises.

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office (Washington, DC) in April 2015.

Interview

The process was smooth. I applied online via USAjobs and received an email about a month later saying I made the second cut-off. Then about 2 weeks later I received an email that I was referred to a selecting official. A couple weeks after that I was sent an email with a time and date for an interview via WebEx. The interview was simple and straightforward. All the questions are here on glassdoor. It's been about 2 weeks and I'm waiting to hear back.

Interview Questions

• No questions were unexpected   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office (Alexandria, VA) in April 2015.

Interview

I applied on or about December 2014. I was interviewed on April 7. First we tried to connect on video but that didn't work so he called me on phone. Interview went pretty smooth, he described the all the process and expections, that lasted about 20-25 minutes. It's been 5 weeks now but I still haven't heard anything from them yet, so I gave up all the hopes now. But I will update it if I hear abything from them.

Interview Questions

• He asked me all the behavioral questions, nothing about the electrical engineering. Four projects at the same time how would you handle, any positive critism, have you ever persuaded somebody ... Like that   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office (Alexandria, VA) in April 2015.

Interview

I was interviewed by phone. Interviewer asked the five questions, each of which is described in several related Patent Examiner interview posts on this site. The interview was an SPE (as opposed to an HR Hiring Manager) and he did not ask for any details or clarifications. I don't believe that there was a stated time limit for each answer.

Interview Questions

• Describe how you would prioritize four things that need to be completed at the same time.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office (Alexandria, VA) in December 2014.

Interview

Applied online and was contacted about a week after the posting closed. If you're referred for an interview they give you one date and time for a phone interview that can absolutely not be changed. The phone interview lasts about 30 minutes. There are 2 or 3 typical behavioral questions for example: if you have 3 tasks due at the same time how do you prioritize them.

Interview Questions

• Interviewer seemed a little unprepared. Asked about past projects, what department you were interested in, why you want to work there. All pretty standard.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office (Alexandria, VA) in November 2014.

Interview

Applied through USAJobs back in September, and the position closed sometime in October. Received frequent email updates and finally an invitation to an Interview in November. Interview was done through Webex (webcam optional), and I was asked the same questions already mentioned in other glassdoor posts. Interview lasted about 30 minutes total. Interviewer was friendly, but English was not her native language. Like other people mentioned, the interviewer doesn't really have any hiring power.

Interview Questions

• Questions asked: 1. When is your earliest availability? 2. Describe a time when you received constructive criticism and how you handled it. 3. Describe a time when you had to take on a project that required extensive research. 4. Describe a time when you had a very short deadline to complete a project/task.   8 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office (Alexandria, VA) in August 2014.

Interview

The hiring process took 6+ weeks. After 3 weeks of the cut-off I was scheduled for an interview. The interview was very easy. They basically ask the same questions listed here. Two weeks after my interview I received an email saying that I was selected and I will be receiving and official offer soon.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office (Alexandria, VA) in July 2014.

Interview

I applied online through USAJobs.Com and faxed my unofficial transcripts. About a month after the position closed I interviewed with an SPE which went really well and about a month later I got a call from hr with an offer. All the questions asked are already listed on this site BUT be prepared to answer questions about your resume at the end of your interview.Be patient, no news is good news, it took two long months for an offer but it came. If you're currently in the hiring and interviewing process I hope this was helpful and I wish you guys the best of luck.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No Negotiation pay given by GS level

Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office (Arlington, VA) in July 2014.

Interview

Applied through usajobs.gov. After the application it took almost 4 months for me to get an interview. Once i got the interview it was pretty simple all the question are mentioned here. It lasted about 40 mins but thats because the lady was just explaining the duties. Also the interview was through webcam but it didn't work for me so we just talked over the phone.

Interview Questions

• Is there a particular area of technology you'd be interested in?
   Answer Question
    • Describe a technical project for which you had to do extensive research.
   Answer Question
    • If you were given 4 projects, all with the same importance and same deadlines, how would you prioritize these projects so that all 4 a completed on time?