US Patent and Trademark Office Interview Questions in Washington, DC

Updated Aug 18, 2015

2.4

Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office (Arlington, VA) in July 2015.

Interview

Apply on usajobs.com, the process takes about 8 weeks. Expect to hear back about an interview week 4. They interviewed for two weeks on week 6 and 7 and notified applicants on week 8 with job offers. The interview is two part. The first is answering a set of object description questions and visual acuity problems (i.e. unfolding a cube, describing different angles of an object, etc). You are alone in a room for 15 minutes. Second part is a face to face with three managers.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you know you were correct and someone else was not. Be specific.   1 Answer
    • Describe a time when you were wrong and someone else was not. Be specific.   Answer Question
    • Describe a time when you were faced with a complex problem and the outcome was successful. Be specific.   Answer Question

Linux Administrative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office (Arlington, VA) in April 2015.

Interview

Quick, Interviewed with 2-3 people, one room, all at the same time. Make sure to bring Identification to get into the building, 2 forms of ID are always helpful in a government building setting, but a driver's license will suffice. A lot of networking questions, and basic linux admin questions.

Interview Questions

• Day to day at previous employeer, network troubleshooting questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Very straight forward, no surprises.

Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office (Alexandria, VA) in July 2014.

Interview

I applied online through USAJobs.Com and faxed my unofficial transcripts. About a month after the position closed I interviewed with an SPE which went really well and about a month later I got a call from hr with an offer. All the questions asked are already listed on this site BUT be prepared to answer questions about your resume at the end of your interview.Be patient, no news is good news, it took two long months for an offer but it came. If you're currently in the hiring and interviewing process I hope this was helpful and I wish you guys the best of luck.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No Negotiation pay given by GS level

Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office (Alexandria, VA) in July 2014.

Interview

Applied through USA job and got a call for interview after a month. the interview was via webEx. about two weeks after the interview, received an offer letter and others paper work that need to filled out.

Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office (Alexandria, VA) in June 2014.

Interview

Submitted Application via USAJobs website. Taken in the cut-off round, though I had thought I missed the cut-off date. Cut-off date was May 26th, received notification of interview ~2 weeks later, interviewed middle of June, received offer at beginning of July. Very quick processing, very timely responses.

Interview Questions

• Questions are as listed in other reviews. No surprises. Very nice interviewer (SPE), basically told me she hoped I'd get a job there. Great experience overall. Also pushed back start date by two months to allow me to finish my degree.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation. Flexible on start date, salary and benefits are take it or leave it, but with these benefits, its a really nice package anyways.

Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office (Alexandria, VA) in May 2014.

Interview

Applied February 2014 and interviewed mid May 2014. Still currently waiting to hear back but I will definitely update. This site is a great resource for the process. My interview consisted of a 15 minute assessment test - basically to see how well you can identify differences and very minor details. That was followed by a group interview with standard questions (all can be found here).

Interview Questions

• Explain the design patent process. This isn't that difficult without proper research here and on their website.   8 Answers

Application

Interview

I applied in March 2014, interviewed mid-May 2014, got the offer the first week of June 2014, and the start date was the end of June 2014. It moves fast! Be ready to move across the country in less than 2 weeks (sometimes just a weekend) in order to take this job. The interview process consisted of two parts: a short test and an in-person interview with three managers in the department. The test was 15-minutes and tested your ability to notice small details and describe visual objects with words. The in-person interview was a pretty basic interview, although mine lasted well over an hour. I really liked all of the managers with whom I interviewed. From what I understand, the design patent examiner positions are broken into units with a manager for each one. The managers who have available spaces in their units get to select the candidates they want to hire.

Interview Questions

• None of the questions were unexpected. Pretty much everything already listed on Glassdoor.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office (Alexandria, VA) in May 2014.

Interview

It was a phone screen interview no in person interview was conducted. They asked a series of standard questions and then asked more about my background and the type of work i had done relating to the patent examining skills

Interview Questions

• asked about skills relating to experience doing design reviews mostly   2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in College Park, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office (College Park, MD) in February 2014.

Interview

Phone interview that addresses simple behavioral circumstances to determine if you'd be a good fit for the job. The interview overall is a very easy going process that doesn't require much preparation other than a very basic understanding of how to answer behavioral type interview questions.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever disagreed with your management staff and how did you overcome the disagreement?   1 Answer

Attorney-advisor, Trademarks Interview

Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office (Alexandria, VA) in January 2014.

Interview

The interview process began with filing an application on USAJOBS.com. The job announcement closed on November 26, 2013 and I received my first email on that day stating that my application had been received. Approximately ten days later, I received a second email stating that I met the minimum qualifications and that my application would be sent to the selection officials. About a week later, I received an email requesting that I complete and submit a writing sample. The email contained three questions, provided a five-page limit, and a seven-day deadline to complete and submit. I submitted the documentation in mid-December and received notification of my first interview the day after Christmas. The notification came via email and stated that I had been selected for an interview in Washington, D.C., but I might be able to do a teleconference-style interview instead. I completed the first interview during the second week of January. I interviewed with three individuals, each of whom worked as a supervisor for trademark attorneys. The interviewers were friendly and cordial and told me a great deal about the position and their expectation of attorneys working there. In total the interview lasted approximately forty minutes. At the close of my first interview, I was told that they would finish interviews up that week, and could take up to two weeks after the close of first interviews to determine who would move on to a second interview. I received an email the same day as the first interviews closed inviting me to the second interview that MUST be done in DC. I received approximately eight days notice of the second interview. The "second interview" was actually a second and third interview, as I spoke with two panels back to back. Each panel consisted of approximately eight law office managers or supervisors who asked a litany of questions. Most were typical interview questions, "Tell me about a time when..." sort of questions. The first panel lasted about 35 minutes; the second lasted a little less. I received a phone call about two weeks after my second interview tentatively offering me a position. I received a call from Human Resources (my first contact since the last mentioned) exactly two weeks after that asking if accepted the position.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Salary and Start Date are both non-negotiable.