US Patent and Trademark Office Interview Questions in Washington, DC

Updated Jul 27, 2015

2.4

Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office (Alexandria, VA) in July 2014.

Interview

The interview was by phone, but very similar to an in-person interview. There was also a video conference option, but we did not make use of this facility. We discussed how I might handle different scenarios discussed elsewhere on this site such as how I handle criticism and reviewed some elements of my resume and prior experience. The interviewer also provided an opportunity for me to ask questions and we discussed general working conditions.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office (Alexandria, VA) in July 2014.

Interview

Applied through USA job and got a call for interview after a month. the interview was via webEx. about two weeks after the interview, received an offer letter and others paper work that need to filled out.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office (Alexandria, VA) in June 2014.

Interview

Submitted Application via USAJobs website. Taken in the cut-off round, though I had thought I missed the cut-off date. Cut-off date was May 26th, received notification of interview ~2 weeks later, interviewed middle of June, received offer at beginning of July. Very quick processing, very timely responses.

Interview Questions

• Questions are as listed in other reviews. No surprises. Very nice interviewer (SPE), basically told me she hoped I'd get a job there. Great experience overall. Also pushed back start date by two months to allow me to finish my degree.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation. Flexible on start date, salary and benefits are take it or leave it, but with these benefits, its a really nice package anyways.

Design Patent Examiner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office (Alexandria, VA) in May 2014.

Interview

Applied February 2014 and interviewed mid May 2014. Still currently waiting to hear back but I will definitely update. This site is a great resource for the process. My interview consisted of a 15 minute assessment test - basically to see how well you can identify differences and very minor details. That was followed by a group interview with standard questions (all can be found here).

Interview Questions

• Explain the design patent process. This isn't that difficult without proper research here and on their website.   8 Answers

US Patent Examiner Interview

Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office (Alexandria, VA) in May 2014.

Interview

The initial process of determining whether I would be referred for an interview took approximately 3 weeks. When I received a call to set up an interview the hiring manager used an outdated calendar for scheduling purposes, which led to some initial confusion. There were two managers who conducted the interview and both were friendly and pleasant. I have an extensive background in art education and it seemed as though the managers were uncertain as to why I would want to leave my present career to become a patent design examiner. The first part of the interview requires you to complete a written examination. I do not suggest interviewing via teleconference as the written exam was provided in a PDF format with a time limit of 15 mins. There was not enough time to print and review the 6 page document and it was extremely difficult to complete scrolling back and forth on a computer screen. It was also necessary to draw and circle specific items on the document, which was nearly impossible to complete in a PDF file with the provided time constraints.

Interview Questions

• Questions were quite standard, but be prepared with background knowledge of basic patents. The US Patent Office has a helpful video that is accessible online   1 Answer

Design Patent Examiner Interview

Application

Interview

I applied in March 2014, interviewed mid-May 2014, got the offer the first week of June 2014, and the start date was the end of June 2014. It moves fast! Be ready to move across the country in less than 2 weeks (sometimes just a weekend) in order to take this job. The interview process consisted of two parts: a short test and an in-person interview with three managers in the department. The test was 15-minutes and tested your ability to notice small details and describe visual objects with words. The in-person interview was a pretty basic interview, although mine lasted well over an hour. I really liked all of the managers with whom I interviewed. From what I understand, the design patent examiner positions are broken into units with a manager for each one. The managers who have available spaces in their units get to select the candidates they want to hire.

Interview Questions

• None of the questions were unexpected. Pretty much everything already listed on Glassdoor.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office (Alexandria, VA) in March 2014.

Interview

See the other posts to get an idea of the behavioral questions asked. This was for a biomedical examiner position. I prepared an eight-page document over the course of a few days with possible questions and answers and practiced them the night before. I was able to answer most of the questions as rehearsed. Interviewer was casual and nice. I asked a lot of questions myself. I ended the interview weakly, though, which made me paranoid. Few weeks after the interview, I got two emails saying I did not make the GS-7 or GS-9 opening. USAjobs profile was updated as well. Very sad to see those as I was very excited for the opportunity and was thinking of making it a career (I have a JD).

Interview Questions

• How would you finish a job that was due tomorrow and give an example.   Answer Question

Patent Examiner (Mechanical Engineer) Interview

Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office (Alexandria, VA) in February 2014.

Interview

After applying on the USA jobs website, I was notified about 1 week after the position closed that I had met the basic qualifications and that a hiring official would further review. About two months later I had a schedule for an interview. The interview was a video conference. I was told to expect a yes or no in two weeks. Three weeks later I called them and found out I didn't get it.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time in which you had a very short deadline to meet   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in College Park, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office (College Park, MD) in February 2014.

Interview

Phone interview that addresses simple behavioral circumstances to determine if you'd be a good fit for the job. The interview overall is a very easy going process that doesn't require much preparation other than a very basic understanding of how to answer behavioral type interview questions.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever disagreed with your management staff and how did you overcome the disagreement?   1 Answer

Junior Patent Examiner Interview

Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office (Alexandria, VA) in February 2014.

Interview

Via web-ex. Interview was casual. Questions asked could be found online. Interview process took 45 min. SPE was very informative and answered all questions I had about the position as well as the hiring process, including the start date of the next class and how long I should expect to hear back from HR.

Interview Questions

• Do you know what the patent process is like? What is the role of the patent examiner?   Answer Question