US Patent and Trademark Office

Updated Jan 19, 2015

2.4

Attorney-advisor, Trademarks Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office in January 2014.

The interview process began with filing an application on USAJOBS.com. The job announcement closed on November 26, 2013 and I received my first email on that day stating that my application had been received. Approximately ten days later, I received a second email stating that I met the minimum qualifications and that my application would be sent to the selection officials. About a week later, I received an email requesting that I complete and submit a writing sample. The email contained three questions, provided a five-page limit, and a seven-day deadline to complete and submit. I submitted the documentation in mid-December and received notification of my first interview the day after Christmas. The notification came via email and stated that I had been selected for an interview in Washington, D.C., but I might be able to do a teleconference-style interview instead. I completed the first interview during the second week of January. I interviewed with three individuals, each of whom worked as a supervisor for trademark attorneys. The interviewers were friendly and cordial and told me a great deal about the position and their expectation of attorneys working there. In total the interview lasted approximately forty minutes. At the close of my first interview, I was told that they would finish interviews up that week, and could take up to two weeks after the close of first interviews to determine who would move on to a second interview. I received an email the same day as the first interviews closed inviting me to the second interview that MUST be done in DC. I received approximately eight days notice of the second interview.

The "second interview" was actually a second and third interview, as I spoke with two panels back to back. Each panel consisted of approximately eight law office managers or supervisors who asked a litany of questions. Most were typical interview questions, "Tell me about a time when..." sort of questions. The first panel lasted about 35 minutes; the second lasted a little less. I received a phone call about two weeks after my second interview tentatively offering me a position. I received a call from Human Resources (my first contact since the last mentioned) exactly two weeks after that asking if accepted the position.

Interview Questions
    Salary and Start Date are both non-negotiable.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office in January 2014.

Applied online in November, recieved phone interview through email in early January.

Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office in September 2013.

Some background: Ph.D. EE (GPA 3.9/4), 5 years of experience in the semiconductor industry. Applied online through USAJOB for the position closing on 8/11/13. Received a notification of selection on 8/30/13 then a phone interview appointment on 9/5/13.
    The interview proceeded well. I was asked 6 standard questions which were mentioned several times on this website: describe a difficult problem that you had to solve timely, describe an occurrence where you had to convince your boss about something, how do you handle criticism...and so forth. I advise some preparation and thorough revision of the USPTO's introduction presentation.

UPDATE: On Oct 1st 2013, I have received a notification that I did not make the cut after the phone interview. Not the GS9 grade or even the GS7! Seriously? I have a Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering with 5 years of experience and an outstanding professional record, and I though I sold myself pretty well during the interview...And that is not enough for a GS9 position that only requires a Masters? Very disappointed. I wonder if the Gov. Shutdown affected this round of hiring at the USPTO. I would appreciate any info from candidates with a similar strange outcome.

Interview Questions
    • No surprises, all questions were previously rehearsed through preparation material from this site.   View Answer

Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office.

Only phone interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

I applied in late August for the GS-7 ME position on USAjobs, had a phone interview on September 11th, and got the position on October 10th. The interview was really relaxed, as long as you look through the questions posted here you will be fine.

My backround: BS, no IP experience, 2 years in industry, and 1year of grad school

Interview Questions
    • There weren't any difficult questions. Most questions posted here were asked, as well as some pertaining to my resume and previous employment.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

I applied thru. usajobs process took 2 months. After 2 weeks closing date I received an email and says" eligible" Then received another e-mail to schedule an interview and got interview on september. All questions were behavioral type. It took 30 minutes. I had good experience but received an email mid october and not selected

Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA
    Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office in September 2013.

Applied online and received a telephone interview through email.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing was unexpected after reading through other's reviews. The Interview was straight forward. No tricky questions   Answer Question

Design Patent Examiner Interview

Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

I applied online – interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office in August 2013.

The hiring and interview process seems to be unusually rushed at present, but includes a written exam featuring visual puzzles, then a face-to-face question and answer session with multiple senior examiners and, finally, an opportunity to speak with a mid-level examiner while touring the facilities. I am told there are more interviews to be conducted in the coming days, decisions made within weeks and new jobs starting before the end of next month.

Interview Questions
    • Many of the questions posed have been mentioned by others here already, but I was additional asked, "what would be the perfect job for me". A bit of time to think that one through ahead of time would have been nice.   View Answer

Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office in August 2013.

Applied online, filled out additional paperwork. A 30 minute interview was subsequently scheduled. The interviewer was an intensely awkward person. He didn't ask any of the questions listed here and the interview was only 15 minutes. Just very basic stuff regarding my background. "What software have you used to conduct literature searches?" I explained that I already held patents and had written multiple review papers during grad school, which would translate well to searching the patent literature. When I mentioned it seemed like a great job he made a snarky comment about it not really being great. Three weeks later I received an email that I was no longer under consideration.

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office in March 2013.

Went to my Alma Mater's career fair. Talked to a recruiter (who is a patent examiner himself/herself) for about half a minute and he asked me to sign up for interviews if interested, as long as you are an [insert technical B.S./M.S. major here] you can sign up at career fairs. Interviews were two-on-one (senior ex-patent examiners) at my school with one person talking while the other frantically takes notes. 30 minutes for first round.

Interview Questions
    • Many "describe a time/situation when..." questions. Some I remember is "Describe a time when you were given a difficult task, how did you accomplish it"? "Describe a situation when you had to handle multiple assignments with the same due date when it seems you don't have enough time?"   Answer Question