US Patent and Trademark Office Interview Questions in Washington, DC

Updated Aug 31, 2014

2.4

50 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

I applied online. The process took 2+ months - interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office in January 2014.

Applied online in November, recieved phone interview through email in early January.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Arlington, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office in September 2013.

Applied online and received a telephone interview through email.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing was unexpected after reading through other's reviews. The Interview was straight forward. No tricky questions   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

I applied online. The process took 2+ months - interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office in November 2012.

Applied online and was invited for a phone interview. The phone interview mostly involved how questions about multitasking. I then received periodic emails about the application moving through various review stages. You can also check the status of your application online. The careers webpage associated with the US Patent and Trademark Office is fairly helpful.

Interview Questions
    • If you have more than one task, how do you get them done?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office in September 2013.

I applied thru. usajobs process took 2 months. After 2 weeks closing date I received an email and says" eligible" Then received another e-mail to schedule an interview and got interview on september. All questions were behavioral type. It took 30 minutes. I had good experience but received an email mid october and not selected

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

I applied online. The process took 2+ months - interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office in September 2013.

I applied in late August for the GS-7 ME position on USAjobs, had a phone interview on September 11th, and got the position on October 10th. The interview was really relaxed, as long as you look through the questions posted here you will be fine.

My backround: BS, no IP experience, 2 years in industry, and 1year of grad school

Interview Questions
    • There weren't any difficult questions. Most questions posted here were asked, as well as some pertaining to my resume and previous employment.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

Some background: Ph.D. EE (GPA 3.9/4), 5 years of experience in the semiconductor industry. Applied online through USAJOB for the position closing on 8/11/13. Received a notification of selection on 8/30/13 then a phone interview appointment on 9/5/13.
    The interview proceeded well. I was asked 6 standard questions which were mentioned several times on this website: describe a difficult problem that you had to solve timely, describe an occurrence where you had to convince your boss about something, how do you handle criticism...and so forth. I advise some preparation and thorough revision of the USPTO's introduction presentation.

UPDATE: On Oct 1st 2013, I have received a notification that I did not make the cut after the phone interview. Not the GS9 grade or even the GS7! Seriously? I have a Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering with 5 years of experience and an outstanding professional record, and I though I sold myself pretty well during the interview...And that is not enough for a GS9 position that only requires a Masters? Very disappointed. I wonder if the Gov. Shutdown affected this round of hiring at the USPTO. I would appreciate any info from candidates with a similar strange outcome.

Interview Questions
    • No surprises, all questions were previously rehearsed through preparation material from this site.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office in August 2013.

Applied online, filled out additional paperwork. A 30 minute interview was subsequently scheduled. The interviewer was an intensely awkward person. He didn't ask any of the questions listed here and the interview was only 15 minutes. Just very basic stuff regarding my background. "What software have you used to conduct literature searches?" I explained that I already held patents and had written multiple review papers during grad school, which would translate well to searching the patent literature. When I mentioned it seemed like a great job he made a snarky comment about it not really being great. Three weeks later I received an email that I was no longer under consideration.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 7 months - interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office in June 2012.

There was a phone interview with two supervisors whom you will never speak to again. They tell you about the job and ask if it would be something for you. After about a month, you have to fill in about 25 pages of the routine hiring paperwork (tax forms and legal). During the probationary period, they assess if they like you or not.

Interview Questions
    • It was just a routine interview. Would this be something that you would like?   View Answer
    It was take it or leave it.

Junior Patent Examiner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office in February 2012.

The interview process begins by going registering and uploading your information (e.g., resume, transcripts) at usajobs.gov. Check several boxes in the questionnaire to show you are qualified. In about a month, they make a determine if you are "selected for an interview." After about another month, you are either "selected" or not; it is online.

Interview Questions
    • "Why should we hire you?" It was the first question asked.   Answer Question
    No negotation. Take it or leave it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

I applied online. The process took 6 months - interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office.

Only phone interview