US Patent and Trademark Office Interview Questions in Washington, DC

2.4

50 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Design Patent Examiner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

I applied online - interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office in August 2013.

The hiring and interview process seems to be unusually rushed at present, but includes a written exam featuring visual puzzles, then a face-to-face question and answer session with multiple senior examiners and, finally, an opportunity to speak with a mid-level examiner while touring the facilities. I am told there are more interviews to be conducted in the coming days, decisions made within weeks and new jobs starting before the end of next month.

Interview Questions
    • Many of the questions posed have been mentioned by others here already, but I was additional asked, "what would be the perfect job for me". A bit of time to think that one through ahead of time would have been nice.   View Answer

Visual Information Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

I applied online. The process took 4 months - interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office in January 2012.

Pretty unprofessional. My interview was set up on a Federal Holiday off, and the selecting official told me way too much info before I was hired (like the good and bad designers who had applied for the job).

Interview Questions
    • What did I not like about my last supervisor.   View Answer
    HR girl was kind of rude and rushed me for an answer. Basically said that there were others they had in mind.

Junior Patent Examiner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office in February 2012.

Four months after I submitted my resume at USAJOBS.gov I received an email stating that I was selected as a possible employee if I submitted a lot of paperwork that was sent along with it; I was given roughly 2 weeks to submit them.

About two weeks after submission I had an interview with a primary examiner and an HR person from the USPTO. They asked questions relating to customer service, technical interests, past experiences at work, and even life questions. The interview was fairly short and the interviewers were very nice.

Less than one month after that I received notification that I had been selected to be hired upon submitting more forms, which I did. From the start of my first contact from the USPTO to when I started was roughly three months.

Interview Questions
    • What was the hardest customer service situation you ever dealt with?   Answer Question
    There was none. The USPTO runs on government salary structure.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

I applied online. The process took 6 months - interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office in March 2012.

The hiring process took about 6 month from time of application submission to finally getting an offer. The phone interview was pretty easy and only behavioral questions were asked. Not many technical questions besides what relevant science/technology courses I have taken.

Interview Questions
    • The behavioral questions dealing concerning working with difficult people are always hard to answer.   Answer Question
    Not much negotiation involved.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Washington, DC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office in March 2013.

Went to my Alma Mater's career fair. Talked to a recruiter (who is a patent examiner himself/herself) for about half a minute and he asked me to sign up for interviews if interested, as long as you are an [insert technical B.S./M.S. major here] you can sign up at career fairs. Interviews were two-on-one (senior ex-patent examiners) at my school with one person talking while the other frantically takes notes. 30 minutes for first round.

Interview Questions
    • Many "describe a time/situation when..." questions. Some I remember is "Describe a time when you were given a difficult task, how did you accomplish it"? "Describe a situation when you had to handle multiple assignments with the same due date when it seems you don't have enough time?"   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office in October 2012.

Applied online through USAJobs...Was contacted after a couple months for phone interview. Interview was pretty simple, same script as everyone has mentioned before.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

I applied online. The process took 6 months - interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office in November 2012.

it was a phone interview with a SPE; interview questions are the same as people posted. you just need to prepare a little bit before the scheduled date. I spent half hour talking on the phone. Overall, it went well.However,i am not sure how they select candidates. hope they are going to hire more in this year.

Patent Examiner At US Patent and Trademark Office Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

I applied online. The process took 6+ months - interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office in November 2012.

I applied through usajobs.gov and got email for interview after the 4 weeks of closing date (August 28,2012) and got called in after 4 weeks (December 19, 2012).

Position: Patent Examiner - Electrical Engineer

Interview Questions
    • "What do you know about the USPTO, what it does and its goals?"
      "Describe a situation when you received constructive criticism and how did you handle it" Answer
      "Describe a time when you had to deal with a difficult customer"
      "Give an example of a time when you had to make a persuasive argument, how did you accomplish it and what was the outcome"
      "Describe a time when you had to do extensive technical research and had to write a technical report"
        Answer Question
    No negotiation

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

I applied online. The process took 6 months - interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office in October 2012.

Do a little research before your interview date and all should go well.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at US Patent and Trademark Office in August 2012.

The phone interview latest about 40 minutest and was held by two senior patent examiners who were on two separate lines. The questions that have already mentioned were pretty much the same questions that I received. The main question was explain the role of the USPTO. They also asked several questions about time management, meeting deadlines and how to deal with difficult situations.

Interview Questions
    • There were't really any difficult questions, but some questions were very similar so it was hard not to repeat myself.   Answer Question