US Postal Service

Average Difficulty
11 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Melville, NY

I applied through other source and the process took 2 days - interviewed at US Postal Service in May 2012.

Interview Details – Lots of paperwork, many safety videos and discussions, most for naught. Basically asked if you were competent, what you did previously, don't care about an education. Didn't hear for months at first, then called out of the blue and said ''Take a drug test tomorrow and if you pass, you will start work on Monday. 2 days of training to not much purpose, basically to cover their butts.

Interview Question – Can't remember anything difficult   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation at all.

Casual Mail Handler

I applied in-person and the process took 2 months - interviewed at US Postal Service in November 2013.

Interview Details – very easy

Interview Question – you have to work 7 days a week and 10 hr days   Answer Question

Los Angeles, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at US Postal Service in November 2013.

Interview Details – In the Los Angeles facility, it's not really so much of an interview as a "processing." Basically, if you are invited to interview, you will receive an offer.

After applying online, I was asked to complete a background check (also completed online) and to complete a drug test at a 3rd party facility. "Interview" date and time were set by USPS (applicants have no way of changing it). On the notification email, it stated that the process might take up to 7 hours.

DAY 1
- I arrived at the facility at 7:30am, stood in a couple of lines with the other candidates and was finally lead into a holding space where we completed more forms as a group. Applicants who had been fired from a previous job or had a criminal record were asked to complete a statement and were interviewed separately by the HR representative. Applicants who have interviews for permanent positions with the USPS or who are currently working for other federal agencies (e.g. the TSA) were not eligible for this position and were dismissed.

- The rest of us were "interviewed" in groups of 3-5 by supervisors. In my case, we weren't asked any actual questions. The interviewer just talked about the importance of showing up on time and following directions.

- We were instructed to complete another copy of the application with our complete job history, as well as additional forms, and to return to the facility the following day to receive our formal offers. We were dismissed around 12:30pm.

DAY 2
- We returned to the facility at 7:30am. Completed more forms, was finger-printed, and finally received our work assignments. The HR staff then reviewed each application to make sure it was correctly filled out (there was roughly 100+ applicants). Those that arrived first were processed first and had first choice of assignments. They were done by noon. Those that arrived later did not finish until almost 5pm.

There was A LOT of waiting around and very little communication from the HR staff in charge of the process. The paperwork that you're filling out is largely redundant. (If only the organization had some sort of expertise in processing huge volumes of data ... wait a second ...)

Interview Question – What is your name? (I'm not exaggerating, this was the only actual question asked during the interview.)   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – USPS unexpectedly pushed back my start date a week later. On the day of my scheduled orientation, I waited for over an hour with 20 other people, but no one from USPS showed up. We were finally told that there had been a mix up by HR and that we needed to return two days later for the formal orientation. At this point, I had essentially lost out on 7 days of work already, as the end date for casual employment was fixed.

I was disappointed by the mishandling of this entire process and the inefficiency of the organization as a whole. Ultimately I decided that my dignity and time was worth more than $10/hour.

Interviewed at US Postal Service

Interview Details – Applied online for seasonal Christmas, interview was basic "tell us about yourself", "why should I hire you". Process took one month.

Interview Question – Have you ever witnessed an employee stealing, what did you do?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, salary was set.

Denver, CO

I applied online - interviewed at US Postal Service in June 2013.

Interview Details – Very easy, they ask you a few basic questions from a standard sheet about experiences etc. Not a stressful interview. If they call you for an interview you have the job essentially

Interview Question – do you take directions better spoken to you or written down   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None

Casual Mail Handler

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at US Postal Service.

Interview Details – Multiple page application form with the standard information requested. Single interview with a manager, quick with not too many difficult questions to get a feel of the type of person you are. Tour of the entire facility at the end.

Interview Question – How do you deal with a situation in which another employee and you come into conflict?   Answer Question

Indianapolis, IN

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at US Postal Service in August 2012.

Interview Details – Apply
Background Check (Sent in Email)
Drug Test
Interview: List of Easy to answer questions. Mostly common sense.
Orientation: Two Day Process
90 Day Probation Period (80% Chance of Being Let Go Afterwards - Fired 25 and kept 3 or 4)

Interview Question – "If you see a piece of mail addressed to yourself, what would you do?"   View Answer

Baltimore, MD

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at US Postal Service.

Interview Details – I was called 1 month after I applied I was interviewed a week later and hired right on the spot. My interviewer asked the basic questions any interviewer would ask. I received orientation and pay information as well as time to work the same day.

Interview Question – there really wasn't any   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – they were not negotiable it was a set pay grade

Saint Louis, MO

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at US Postal Service in October 2011.

Interview Details – THIS IS THE WORST COMPANY ON THE PLANET! STAY FAR AWAY !

I started the process by applying online. I thought this is a respectable place, Gov job and all you know? Well ..... I applied and was contacted via email the next day and it was an invitation to a interview...they pick the date and time. They contacted me on a Monday and the interview was set for Fri. In between that time they sent me another email stating I needed to go online and select a drug testing facility Before the interview, and you also have to give them consent to do a background check. Fine fine , no problem... sooooo I did all of this and did my drug test the very next day to show them I was interested. On Friday in the email, it tells you a time to go and to bring a copy of you letter for proof and to meet by the East elevators? ummmmm what is this? Men in Black? Is Someone going to meet me? I had no idea... it was seasonal work, so then I thought it would be alot of people, I have had experience in the past with "group" hirings......oh and they don't want you parking on their lot or a meter.... fun for downtown stl...so you make due......

Interview Question – We don't care if your a people person, all we want to know is if your hungry for work and if you have a strong back?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – I arrive early and notice alot of people by the elevator... this must be it... Mass Hiring like I thought.. no biggee.....I don't care, Well After 15-20 min.. someone Finally comes down..we go up elevator and she took us all to another room with desks. I waited to listen there was a Large white woman and a demanding Black woman that was speaking to us... The black lady started out telling us about it, she was right to the point which I like, but I didn't like what she said......She basically said "Here are some things to think about before we doing our 1:1 interviews, don't waste my time or yours" She said that when we work there she will own us! She said , that we will see her face More than our families, don't expect to ever use your cell phone while working or your get fired. If your 1 minute late, you will be fired. She said we are on the LOWEST part of the totem pole and there are people there that have seniority over us that have put in 20 40 years and they know it and don't have a problem telling you off. She said some "Regulars" actually like to see how many Casuals they can get fired or quit and put that down as a notch in their belt. She said we would be working next to inspectors and they will try to make you do something and if you do it and are not supposed to , you will be fired. She said they don't care about your child care, school or any other problems you have. You have to be there and that is that or your fired.. They do not work with your schedules. If you don't like it then Don't take the job. She said , from here to the next 6 wks you will be working 12 hours shifts or more, and weekends. And if a Regular doesn't want to do their job, they will make YOU do it, so you will have both your job and theirs.. she said they will be talked to , but you will be fired if you don't do it..
Also , she said, don't worry about the holidays........because YOUR Not getting any! You will be Mine on Thanksgiving and Christmas and all the rest. The pay is Only $9

There was more crap, then the other lady (she was laughing while the other was talking). she went on and said don't wear pretty clothes we don't care , no jewlerly , cells, put your hair up if long cuz if it is caught in machine they will chop it off. Sounded Worse than prison! She said when we interview you don't tell us your a people person , we don't care, all we want to know is if your hungry for work and have a strong back! What a find.. both of them women...

Sooooooooo I am sitting there after feeling like we were court martialed like in a military unit, but worse and contemplating if I want to take it..........when all of a sudden I hear the Black lady yell out , I need to see......can't say the first or last name.......I am like crap that is me.......and it was.........so I get up and then she called this other guy too.. I wait in the hall , he and the women come out by me and he says he is withdrawing right away........I then say I am too......... I have a baby that is just starting to walk, didn't tell her...but....I am NOT Missing the Holidays.........So i decline........and sign off on a sheet...........

I am better off making that kind of money or Less doing something that I feel good about , then to work as a prisoner where I have to worry about people trying to get me fired or worse never speaking to my family during the day again, what if there is an emergency??? They don't care they said it.....they don't care. I could NOT believe what just happened. Apparently it boils down to this........If your in the Post office and have put your time in.. you will Never get fired... Never......you don't have to even show up for work, and they won't fire you. See they hire "Casuals" which are Below temps.. no benefits.......basically slaves , to do what the "Regular" people will Not do.......so the holiday cards and influx of mail will get delivered. Otherwise it won't. The Regular people do not like to work , so they hire more casuals to help them out......basically to do their job.......If they actually made them Do their job, it would go better........Oh and one of the last things they said is , I don't care if you Withdraw because there are Hundreds of Others that will take our position in a minute..........So be it.. Let them take my spot......Life is too short for that.

Casual Mail Handler

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at US Postal Service in July 2012.

Interview Details – Applied online and got a call from HR manager about a week later to set up an interview. Went into to the interview had to get a card and sign in. I was then told that I needed to go across the street to the other building and swipe the card to get into that building and to a certain room where interviews were being held. Got into that building and I went to that room and then was directed to another room (which wasn't the correct room either). Finally found the correct room and there was a man and lady in their chatting. They told me that I was early and the person that was interviewing me wasn't there yet and to sit outside. While sitting outside another woman came up and the lady that was inside chatting asked her to come in and interviewed her while I'm still waiting outside. About 10 mins after this the women who interviews me comes in, she asks me what my availability is and tells me about the job. The entire interview lasts about 7 mins... time spent at USPS is about an hour. She tells me that I if I am selected I will be e-mailed with further direction and that I will be put on a list until they are ready and able to hire me. A week later I get an e-mail with the information needed to complete the background check. And a today I received information about where I need to go in order to complete my drug test.

Interview Question – Are you willing and able to work up to 12 hours a day during peak (Christmas, Thanksgiving, etc.) season?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation.

Interviews for Top Jobs at US Postal Service

Worked for US Postal Service? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at US Postal Service Casual Mail Handler interview questions and advice. All 11 interview reviews posted anonymously by US Postal Service employees and interview candidates.