US Postal Service

Getting the Interview

Average Difficulty
41 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions

City Carrier Assistant

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at US Postal Service.

Interview Details – More of an explanation than anything else. As far as hiring it was pretty streamlined. As of right now I was offered a conditional job offer. I'm just waiting for official job offer after medical assessment. Then I would get an effective date of appointment.

Negotiation Details – Not negotiable

Interviewed at US Postal Service

Interview Details – I applied on March 6th. Application closed on March 9th. I took the exam on March 13th, and got a 86.5. I am hoping that I hear back soon about an interview. I am praying that my exam score is good enough to get a position with USPS. My application status still says Application Entry. Hopefully the process does not take an extremely long time.

Interview Question – I have not had the interview yet so I do not know what the most difficult part was.   Answer Question

City Carrier Assistant

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at US Postal Service.

Interview Details – I applied online on March 4,2013. Right after I was invited to take a personality test.. After passing that I was invited to take the online test to schedule my 473 test if passed. I passed the test and I was invited for the test the following week. DONT BE SILLY AND SPEND MONEY ON THE TEST BOOKS ! I googled practice test and it helped me get the score that I got. I ended up scoring an 80%. So After about a week later the sent me my paper work for my drug test, back round check and my interview. I faxed my drug test and back round check. and the following week I went for my interview. I was in the room for about an hour and the were explaining the position. and then they called us back for one on one interviews. My interview lasted about 5-10 mins. Honestly the lady rubbed me the wrong way asking me if I was sure this is what I wanted to do. I had a bad feeling. luckily I applied to two different locations for the same opening because just today ( March 29th) the other location emailed me for an interview. So Im thinking I didnt get chosen for the first location.

Interview Question – why usps? previous work history?   Answer Question

City Carrier Assistant

I applied online and interviewed at US Postal Service.

Interview Details – I applied for the City Carrier Assistant position in my area, and almost immediately I received a link in my email to take the online assessment. I passed. I received a email for drug testing and a background check which I completed 1 weeks ago. No response yet.

Interview Question – I have not been interviewed yet for the position.   View Answer

Nashua, NH

I applied online - interviewed at US Postal Service in May 2014.

Interview Details – I took the postal exam on April 28, 2014. It was super easy. I passed with a score of 91.30 and got an email with the results within one hour of finishing the exam. I applies to 12-14 jobs including postal clerk, cca, rural carrier and casual. I was invited to interview for 3 locations in that same week as I took the exam (2-cca and 1-pse post office clerk). I was offered all three jobs and originally accepted two, 1- cca and 1-pse po clerk, however the postmaster just about guaranteed me that I will certainly get hours as a cca even though they were not suppose to because the position is originally planned to be for Sundays only as USPS has contracted with Amazon who wants their customers to receive packages on Sundays. So, needless to say, I declined the clerk position which is only on Saturdays. Overall, I had been invited to 9 out of 12 interviews and ALL of the 5 that I actually went to were informal. All except one was an one on one but even the one which I had two supervisors present was informal and actually the most easy going of all the interviews. Basically they tell you about the position, tell you how many days and hours they can safely say you can expect to work, ask if you have reliable transportation to be on time, then ask if you still want the position and if you do, they ask you to provide your social security number and sign in a few areas and the job is yours if you want it.

Interview Question – For the PSE Post Office Clerk position, I was only asked would I be able to handle operating the post office by myself and if a customer had ever injured themselves, how would I handle it?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There is not a negotiation phase. They offer you the position, you either accept it or not then move on to your next interviews.

Los Angeles, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at US Postal Service in March 2014.

Interview Details – Group Orientation first then will move on to one on one interview.

Interview Question – Tell me something about yourself?   Answer Question

Buffalo, NY

I applied online - interviewed at US Postal Service in March 2014.

Interview Details – Filled out application online
Took postal exam
2 weeks later got invitation for mandatory orientation/drug screening/background check
went to orientation which included interview & completed drug + background check forms/tests
have not heard anything yet about results, application status still says pre-screening
have no idea how to further check the status of my application

Los Angeles, CA

I applied online and the process took 7+ weeks - interviewed at US Postal Service in March 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online and was invited to take the exam. Took it 2 weeks later, got a 71 plus 10 vet points. Got called for interview about 2 weeks later. Knew I had the job if I wanted it even before going to the interview since I'm a disabled veteran. Strolled in like a boss. About 15 other peeps in waiting room for interviews. Manager seemed to have attitude but nothing he could do since I'm protected under Veteran Employment Opportunity Act. Sent me for drug test immediately after interview. A week later I was called in for driving test. From there filled out paperwork and started training. If you aren't a veteran then you better score exceptionally high on the exam or you don't have a chance in a large city due to number of vet applicants. If you're in sticksville you might have a better chance.

Interview Question – None were difficult knowing the job was mine.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotation either take their offer or dont

Oakland, CA

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at US Postal Service in May 2014.

Interview Details – In total my process about 20 days. I saw a sign saying the USPS was hiring and went online found the closest city to me and applied. I live in Oakland but the nearest job posting was for SF and Walnut Creek. I applied for both. After applying the Walnut creek application contacted me to take a computer assessment. This test you take will give you a score that will be your score for 6 months until you're able to retake it. If you take the test a second time it keeps the higher of the two scores. If you get over 70 points that's good over 80 and your in for sure. Veterans also get additional point for there service. Not exactly sure how that works.

The test is based on sorting data, multiple choice, seeing if you can fill out paperwork correctly-all easy, and memorization which is not as easy!

After my test maybe 3 days later I received an email saying I should fill out a criminal background check questionnaire online and when I was done with that it needed to be faxed into the company. I also received another email asking me to schedule a drug test which I did immediately and that all happened in about 3 days.

I was told to come in for an interview on Wednesday which took about 5 hrs. Mostly filling paperwork out. Lots and lots of it. Then they did individual interviews which were, as many others have said, basic. They tell you about the job and ask you...

1. What do you think this job involves?

2. How would you handle an irate customer?

Some other people got different questions but they were asked casually in conversation. Like, "oh you worked for an airline? What kind of things did you do in a day?"

Then they say if you pass your drug test and we want to hire you we will phone you.

I had already done my drug test to day before the interview so they called me the very next day to offer employment. Hurray!!

Interview on Wednesday, called and offered employment on Thursday. I have orientation this Monday.

Also** city carrier assistant is a non career position. Meaning you do not belong to a union and do not get health benefits until you are offered a career position. You HAVE to be a "temporary" CCA before you become a City Carrier. At most it's a year of work and then an evaluation. I believe you get 3,6, and/or 9 month reviews as well.

Interview Question – How would you handle an irate customer?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was none and they didn't even tell you what the rate of pay is. But that wasn't a concern to me so I didn't ask.

San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at US Postal Service in April 2014.

Interview Details – The hiring process was long. Week 1 -Started with an application, followed by taking a test. Week 2 - All paperwork was reviewed by HR before interviewing with a senior person from USPS. After the interview, you either received a recommend to hire or not. I received a recommendation to hire and was given a finger print card. I had to take the card to a UPS store to have finger prints taken (Cost $26), then returned to the HR person. Week 3 - I received a phone call offering me the job. Week 4 - received written offer. Week 5 - Received a start date and location for orientation and initial training.

Interview Question – This is a very physical role. Can you handle being on your feet and walking all day 8-12 hours?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Rate is fixed, negotiated a start date. It was relatively easy.

Interviews for Top Jobs at US Postal Service

Worked for US Postal Service? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at US Postal Service City Carrier Assistant interview questions and advice. All 41 interview reviews posted anonymously by US Postal Service employees and interview candidates.