US Postal Service

Updated Sep 22, 2014

6 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sacramento, CA
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sacramento, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at US Postal Service in February 2010.

I tested, very high score, basic interview held, no tough questions, knew the interviewer from my childhood. I was hired and started as a city letter carrier and later was promoted to a supervisor position

Other Interview Reviews for US Postal Service

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newark, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newark, NJ

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at US Postal Service in June 2008.

Very good interview process did a drug screen went through training which was like 3 days if I remember correctly. Met the post master and general manager and it was actually a great experience.

City Carrier Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at US Postal Service in August 2008.

The interview process begins with a paper application which may get you in the door. From there, you may be hired as a TE (Temporary Employee) or as a career employee. To be considered for a career position, you will need to take a civil service exam at a local branch and pass with a high score to make the roster. If you are in the top 10% of the roster, you may receive the interview.

Interview Questions
    • Explain a time when you had a conflict with a manager or supervisor. How was the issue resolved?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burlington, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burlington, NC

I applied in-person. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at US Postal Service in January 2010.

The hiring process is rigorous and lengthy. First you have to score well on their exam. Do yourself a favor and practice for this exam by purchasing a book. After your exam, if you score well then you can you get put on a list. It took about 4 months after I got a letter in the mail with an offer for an interview. Afterwards, I was interviewed along 8 others and then offered a job.

Interview Questions
    There was no negotiation, wages were fixed.

City Carrier Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at US Postal Service.

Applied for job, took assessment and passed. Took another assessment at a controlled computer lab and passed. Got called in for a group interview and filed out about 15 pages of paperwork. Then had a 1-on-1 interview with a local Post Master that last about 20 minutes. After about 2 days got an e-mail to take a drug test and background screen. Then went back to home Post Office to fill out a medical assessment. Finally got the offer letter via e-mail and mail about 3 weeks later.

Interview Questions
    • How much time would you spend interacting with customers?   View Answer
    • A dog is loose and blocking you to do your job and deliver the mail at a house... what do you do?   View Answer
    • A customer is upset with you because you don't have their monthly check on the 1st... what do you say/do?   View Answer
    No negotiation. The pay is set and was posted upfront.

City Carrier Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 12+ monthsinterviewed at US Postal Service in January 2008.

I actually took the test three years before the interview. The test is more than four hours long and is a personality test, skills test, IQ, etc..Then you wait, and wait, and wait. They will send you your test score and you have to be over 80%, I think, to even be looked at. After that, if they get down to your name in the test score rankings, you will be called in for an interview. They don't really tell you much about the position, normally they say there are a few spots they are trying to fill. Maybe a few months later you will get a letter saying you have to go for a drug test and that they are offering you the job if you pass the drug and background check. Even after accepting the job, you have to train and then take more test--and if you don't pass, you're terminated. Lets say you get the job...then you find out that you're going to doing, xyz--but it's on a part-time basis, no regular hours, but the hourly rate is great. So you accept and then you learn they own you. they send you where ever when ever and if you only get two hours of scheduled work for that week, you have to run around and try to pick up hours at other offices just so you can pay the insurance costs. The last portion is the stuff they don't tell you in the interview.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing really--it's so cut and dry. The interview was really normal.   Answer Question
    No negotiation with them--it's all set-up on "grade" and "level". You get what you get.