US Postal Service

Updated Jan 28, 2015
Updated Jan 28, 2015

2.0

City Carrier Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at US Postal Service in January 2015.

The entire process took just over a month, and about a month and a half till the start of orientation (Remember this is a government job so there's always extensive screening processes). I did an online application on December 10th, 2014. Following my submission, I was emailed a link to complete an online assessment. They both were fairly easy; it seemed more or less to see if you were competent (the second was more personality based questions).

A week later on December 17th I was emailed a link to sign up to do a proctored exam. This you have to complete within x amount of days (I think it was complete it within 5 days). I was worried since I obviously was working a different job and it was a week before Christmas. Luckily there was a date and time that I was available for. I signed up for Exam 473 Delivery, Distribution and Retail and took the exam on the last available day: December 22nd, 2014. There's plenty of practice exams and examples online so research it! Its not a typical exam and not a good one to walk into blindly. They will email you your results before you get home from the exam. I think the passing grade that qualifies you for the CCA position is 82%

A week later on December 29th, 2014 I was emailed an invite to interview face-to-face. Along with this email, they also send you links to complete a background check and to go in to a place to do a drug test (urinalysis).

They do mass interviews/orientations so they tell you a date and time and there's not much leeway. Mine was for January 6th, 2015. I walked into a conference room with 50 other people there for the same position. (I live in a large city with many cities/post offices so there were plenty of positions open). We filled out paperwork (In case we were offered a position it would be done already) and then the HR rep gave more details about the position to weed out any weak ones (which some people actually got up and left). Then we all were individually interviewed (5 at a time and my luck I was the last round of interviews...it took over 2 hours until my turn).

On to the actual interview:

It was easy...really easy. Whenever I do any job interview I always find something to connect me with my interviewer. Luckily this happened immediately. I like finding a connection because then you can mostly talk about that (instead of the job) and build a relationship getting them to really like you. My advice: be the one to ask questions and lead the interview. Anywho, the questions were so simple, mostly just to see if you are willing to battle the weather. Since I live in a region that gets bombarded with blizzards in the winter and extreme humidity in the summer, they just wanted to see if you were up to being outside and walking in the extreme conditions. It was basically just a compatibility interview to see if you grew up with a strong work ethic and if you can handle the outside world. At the end of the interview my interviewer told me she was going to recommend me for the position ( I don't know if they typically tell people that; I was just the last one of the day and we had good report so I think she told me to lessen the pain of being there all day).

2 days later on January 8th, 2015 I received another email giving me a conditional offer for the position contingent on passing a medical assessment. The medical assessment consisted of 3 questions just asking if you're on any current medication, if you have any current injuries, and if you have any past injuries that will prevent you from doing any functions of the job. I printed it out and emailed it back within 5 minutes.

Then on January 13th, 2015 I received my final email congratulating me on the position and confirming that I was actually being hired. In the email I received instructions on my week long paid orientation that starts January 26th, 2015.

Hope this helps. I will post another review after my orientation!

Interview Questions
    • Have you had a job requiring you to work outside before?   View Answer
    No negotiation.

PSE Mail Processing Clerk Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at US Postal Service.

It is very simple, if you get a email to come in and your background is clean and you passed the drug test you got the job. You come in as a group and go over the job duties and your application.

Interview Questions
    • They ask if you were dishonest on your application and give you a change to be honest if you were not.   Answer Question

City Carrier Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at US Postal Service.

Took about a month after testing to hear from them about an interview. I received an invitation by email, when I showed up there was at least 20 other people there for interviews too. Everyone took turns pairing with various supervisors, who asked the usual General interview questions.

No negotiations.

CCA (City Carrier Assistant) Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at US Postal Service.

Whole process is a bit long. I applied the first week in Nov., took the assessment about a week or 2 later & passed. Almost a month after that I received my email for drug screen/background check which I also passed. A few weeks after that got the email for the interview. The interview was very pleasant, the PM I interviewed with was very nice and made me feel welcome and a lot less nervous. The interview is pretty straight forward they just want to make sure this is something you really want to do because it requires A LOT OF PHYSICAL STRAIN! Many people quit because they can't handle the amount of physical activity and the fact that 95% of the time you'll probably be working 7 days a week. My interview was more of a conversation than a lot of questioning which was pretty nice.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question to me was "How would you deal with a manager who was constantly on your case about your work performance?"   Answer Question
    Pay rate is set. $15.30 hourly

City Carrier Assistant Interview

I applied online – interviewed at US Postal Service.

When I arrived for the interview, they line everyone up and seated us according to who arrived the earliest. We had to feel out paper work that was missing and and write down on are assigned folders what city we like to work in. They explained everything about the job and was straight Forward and didn't Sugar coat anything, it was either you could handle the job or not. It lasted 20 mins then the next step was interviews, since i got there early i was one of the first to interview. I loved my interviewer he was a layed back guy and he only asked me, why i wanted to work for the usps? I poured My heart out to him and focus on who i was and how i adore people and love to serve others. Which is 100% true! He had a folder checking off things and i must have seen atlease seven to eight checks. We mostly had a great conversation for 15-20 mins and at the end of the interview he told me he would Recommend me to be hired so now im waiting on my next step.

Rca Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at US Postal Service.

Take the test and pass with highest score possible. Interview was slightly generic. Hiring seemed solely based on test score. They want to make sure you have the ability to work quickly and accurately.

None

PSE Clerk Interview

First you apply on-line. Than they will send you an invite to the exam. The exam is straight forward computer based. If you score decent 75 or better they will call you for an interview. The interview is a few questions. The ones I was asked is Why do you want to work here. How long have you been considering a job at the Post Office. Do early morning hours bother you.

None 15.63 an hour no benefits.

Rural Carrier Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at US Postal Service.

Long and pointless waste of time and money . They were rude while coming to interview. I was asked about my personal life which I thought was strange. Overall I would not work for this company

Interview Questions

I didn't think the job was for me at this time

Rural Carrier Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Corsicana, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Corsicana, TX

I applied in-person – interviewed at US Postal Service.

Easy interview! Very simple questions that are easy to answer. Two people were in the room they were both asking questions. Very friendly people told me all about the job. The interview was mostly them talking about the job.

Interview Questions
    • Can you handle basically being your own supervision?   View Answer
    No I was not. I just answered what they asked of me

City Carrier Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at US Postal Service.

Filled out online application which included the personality test. One week later took the postal exam with a score of 82.5 One week later I received a call for an interview. Nothing out of the ordinary was asked. I believe it went well. A few days later I was sent an email to have a drug test and background check. These both are stated to have them done in 3 days. I did that yesterday. I did not hear back yet but it is still soon. I believe there is still a driving test and physical to go.

Interview Questions
    • If 2 supervisors asked me to do 2 different things how would I handle it.   Answer Question