US Postal Service

325 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Mail Handler Interview

Mail Handler

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at US Postal Service in August 2010.

Interview Details – Go on line to find locations as to where the USPS is hiring "helpers" and apply. Make absolutely sure you are on the USPS website! In the past Postal Examinations were given every 6 months to the public, today only "helpers"/casuals are eligible to take the test after a certain time frame. Must pass Postal Examination. Will get notified of score via mail. Make sure you keep your address updated as you will be notified via mail once a position has opened according to your score.

Interview Question – During written exam some questions are tricky - get the USPS test book at the library; DO NOT pay an organization which claims to insure hiring via the USPS, they're frauds. Also 1 test will be included in your testing appointment.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There's not negotiation, you will either be hired or not. USPS will put you on a schedule as they deem needed, not what you need.

Bullhead City, AZ

I applied online and the process took 5 months - interviewed at US Postal Service in January 2014.

Interview Details – Testing was in las vegas. it was a long time waiting... the entire thing took aprox. 5 months. .. & training was in Phoenix. They dont train very well& it could use hands on which they DO NOT offer.

Interview Question – All interview questions were pretty basic.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – there was no negotiation the pay is a standard rate.

Las Vegas, NV

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at US Postal Service in April 2014.

Interview Details – filled out the app online the i was contact to take the memory test which i passed with a score of 76. Was contact and ask to fill out background paper and fax them along with a drug test. I was interview a week or two later. The interview was a group interview and i was asks just a few question.

Interview Question – Ask if the heat bothers me.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – They said 15.30 is the pay and it is on call. They say to always tell you supervisor you have an open availability and you are will to work and you will get lots of hours

City Carrier Assistant I Interview

City Carrier Assistant I
Tulsa, OK

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at US Postal Service in June 2014.

Interview Details – The first thing i did was filled out an application on USPS career website. followed by two test. one week letter i was invited to attend a group interview immediately following a personal interview. arrive early so you will get in and out. the total interview took approximately 1.5 hours. majority of the interview different managers tell you about their experience as a postal worker. after the interview one week later, i was invited by email to fill out an electronic background check and take a drug screening. one week after that i received a letter of processing/ job offer.

Interview Question – have you ever delivered anything before?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – the postal workers never discussed wages with me

Rca Interview

Rca
Waterloo, IA

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at US Postal Service in June 2014.

Interview Details – Setting up your profile on the usps.com website took quite a while and here's a tip: to copy and paste your resume or cover letter to the yellow boxes you have to use the control c and control v keys, as the clicking on copy/paste won't work. I learned that after about my 7th application for a position.

Then you take the 150 question "psyche test" to see if you answer similar questions the same(level of maturity???). If you "pass" this test (you'll never learn your score from this part of the exam), then you get invited to a commercial "staffing" agency to take the 473 Postal Exam. if all you want is part time work and no chance to promote to full time career, then you don't have to take these tests. I highly recommend that you spend the $30 on line and get the "JK Parnell" tutorial and take the 6 practice tests you get from his website and do this at least a week before your scheduled exam. Instead of being in an auditorium taking this exam with 200 other people(like I did 20 some years ago), the test is done on line now. It's faster answering questions with clicking the mouse, rather than the old way of using a test booklet and coloring in the circles on the answer sheet. USING THE OLD SCHOOL USPS EXAM STUDY GUIDE BOOKS AT THE LIBRARY IS A WASTE OF TIME!! They quit that system in like 2008. The Parnell tutorial also has great advise on how to budget you time during the memory portion of the test and tips for memorizing the address blocks. Guessing for answers will be penalized, so make sure of your answer or else leave it blank. I had my test results by the time I got home from the exam as they were sent via email. 80-90% of the test takers fail the exam because they weren't prepared for the speed and accuracy necessary to finish in time nor the familiarity with the testing procedure. You have to wait another 4 months to retake the test if you fail or want to improve your score. i did great on the memory and address checking part of the testing but the final score revealed that I didn't do well on the psyche part, but I still passed and after applying for any position within a 30 mile range of my house, I started getting interview invitations within a couple of weeks. Initially I was passed over by folks that had higher scores, but eventually I was hired once the others either accepted a position or declined. I accepted a Rural Carrier Assistant position, but there are city carrier asst., mail handler asst., and mail clerk asst. positions too. You need to have a clean driving record for the past 5 years to even get a chance at an interview. You will be fingerprinted for your background check and if you get a follow up email requesting you find a clinic to do the drug test, that's a pretty good sign they want to hire you. Each of the above 4 positions has it's pluses and minuses, it just depends on how badly you want to work for USPS. Hourly rate starts around $15/hr and gets to around $20 once you make full time.

Mail handlers- lots of overtime working nights or 3rd shift, 6 days a week and most holidays. You're on you feet all the time. The most physical of the jobs, especially if you are working the inbound and outbound docks.
Mail Clerk- you're sorting and casing mail and may be trained to work the counters with customers CSR skills a must!! You'll come in at like 4AM and work til the work is done(10/11AM), then clock out and return later in the afternoon for a few hours to make sure everything gets out the door.

The interview process was heavily laden with paperwork and don't be surprised if you are in a group of 5-10 folks for the paperwork part. At a couple of the interviews, they had you fill out a questionnaire so they didn't have to ask everyone the same questions over and over. Be honest and sincere in telling them what you bring to the Postal Service.

Interview Question – These would be the 4 positions you would be applying for;

City Carrier Asst. You won't be casing (sorting ) your own mail, just picking it up and subbing for Full time carriers needing time off. You'll be driving the White LLV's(long life vehicles) and will have driver training after orientation, as driving on the right hand side of the vehicle has it's challenges. I think the CCA's come in about 7 and need to be back in by 6, preferably earlier....CCA's do walk some or all of their routes, so good shoes and excellent fitness level will help. You will be carrying up to a 35# mail bag

Rural Carrier Asst. You most certainly be working every Saturday, and then covering for Full timers that want vacation or are sick. You case your own mail and will need your own vehicle with either a bench front seat (no console!!) or purchase a right hand drive vehicle or buy a conversion kit to convert like a mid 90'sJeep Cherokee to RHD). The plus is that you are paid a flat rate for your route based on how many stops you have to make and how many miles the route is. Even though most routes have over 500 stops each day, you are your own boss and need to be self sufficient. You are also reimbursed for vehicle wear and tear to the tune of like 71 cents a mile to cover gas, maintenance, and part of our loan payments if you purchase a vehicle. RCA's can end up with fewer work days than the other crafts, it just depends on the size of the office. They also have the most to learn to be efficient at their craft. None of the questions were hard, except explaining why I was terminated from my previous job. There's a fine line between "telling your side of the story" and bashing your former employer. When I filled out the "why were you fired" part, I put down something like "change in company focus towards employees" and then let them ask me to expand on that. Overall, the 6 or 7 interviews I had with the various postmasters and HR folks, were all very pleasant experiences. i never felt like I was "on the witness stand" with any of them. If there was a tough question, I guess it would've been,"If one supervisor tells you to do something and 10 minutes later another supervisor tells you to do something else, what do you do??
  View Answer

Negotiation Details – Hourly rate set by union contracts

Distribution Clerk Interview

Distribution Clerk

I applied in-person and interviewed at US Postal Service.

Interview Details – Was a pretty straight forward process. Take test, score high and wait until your number appears on register. Once your number comes up on register, then you will be given interview. Interview process is pretty standard, about a half hour in length. Once completed and if you pass, you should be hired after drug screening. Most start at the processing and distribution facilities before changing to local offices.

Interview Question – What are your expectations from me on the job?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Not really any negotiation involved

Postmaster Relief Interview

Postmaster Relief

I applied online and interviewed at US Postal Service.

Interview Details – A basic list of questions was read to me and mainly asked yes or no answers. The questions involved basic safety and work habit type questions. I was not asked anything about previous employment.

Interview Question – No difficult questions as it was all basic.   Answer Question

PSE Custodian Interview

PSE Custodian
San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at US Postal Service in March 2014.

Interview Details – Submit application online, you will be notified via e-mail of acceptance, then directed to complete the tests required for the position. One interview only. After drug testing and aptitude tests are completed and accepted.

Interview Question – None, all extremely simple.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Non-Negotiable

City Carrier Assistant

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at US Postal Service in May 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online and scheduled to take the exam the following week. I received an email several weeks later to come to a "group interview". Took over 3 months to actually begin work from the time I initially applied online.

Interview Question – Nothing difficult or unexpected…basic questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiations.

Shipping Solutions Specialist Interview

Shipping Solutions Specialist

I applied online and the process took 2+ months - interviewed at US Postal Service in June 2014.

Interview Details – First you must check the usps website for an opening and apply through the site. Part of the application process requires you to write answers to how your knowledge and skills make you the right person for the job.
Then you sit back and wait about 3 weeks and hope you get a call for an interview .

Interview Questions

• Can you tell us something trending with the competition   Answer Question
  • Was there a time were you got the business from a competitor when your prices were higher.   Answer Question
  • Tell us how would qualify a new call and how would you prepare to to get a meeting with them   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – This is already established during the job listing process. There is a range. You need to send them proof of your previous salaries and they compare it to similar jobs in the region were you work. They normally average the salary.

Interviews for Top Jobs at US Postal Service

Worked for US Postal Service? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at US Postal Service interview questions and advice. All 325 interview reviews posted anonymously by US Postal Service employees and interview candidates.