US Postal Service Interview Questions

Updated Apr 21, 2015

2.0

City Carrier Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at US Postal Service in January 2015.

Interview

The entire process took just over a month, and about a month and a half till the start of orientation (Remember this is a government job so there's always extensive screening processes). I did an online application on December 10th, 2014. Following my submission, I was emailed a link to complete an online assessment. They both were fairly easy; it seemed more or less to see if you were competent (the second was more personality based questions).

A week later on December 17th I was emailed a link to sign up to do a proctored exam. This you have to complete within x amount of days (I think it was complete it within 5 days). I was worried since I obviously was working a different job and it was a week before Christmas. Luckily there was a date and time that I was available for. I signed up for Exam 473 Delivery, Distribution and Retail and took the exam on the last available day: December 22nd, 2014. There's plenty of practice exams and examples online so research it! Its not a typical exam and not a good one to walk into blindly. They will email you your results before you get home from the exam. I think the passing grade that qualifies you for the CCA position is 82%

A week later on December 29th, 2014 I was emailed an invite to interview face-to-face. Along with this email, they also send you links to complete a background check and to go in to a place to do a drug test (urinalysis).

They do mass interviews/orientations so they tell you a date and time and there's not much leeway. Mine was for January 6th, 2015. I walked into a conference room with 50 other people there for the same position. (I live in a large city with many cities/post offices so there were plenty of positions open). We filled out paperwork (In case we were offered a position it would be done already) and then the HR rep gave more details about the position to weed out any weak ones (which some people actually got up and left). Then we all were individually interviewed (5 at a time and my luck I was the last round of interviews...it took over 2 hours until my turn).

On to the actual interview:

It was easy...really easy. Whenever I do any job interview I always find something to connect me with my interviewer. Luckily this happened immediately. I like finding a connection because then you can mostly talk about that (instead of the job) and build a relationship getting them to really like you. My advice: be the one to ask questions and lead the interview. Anywho, the questions were so simple, mostly just to see if you are willing to battle the weather. Since I live in a region that gets bombarded with blizzards in the winter and extreme humidity in the summer, they just wanted to see if you were up to being outside and walking in the extreme conditions. It was basically just a compatibility interview to see if you grew up with a strong work ethic and if you can handle the outside world. At the end of the interview my interviewer told me she was going to recommend me for the position ( I don't know if they typically tell people that; I was just the last one of the day and we had good report so I think she told me to lessen the pain of being there all day).

2 days later on January 8th, 2015 I received another email giving me a conditional offer for the position contingent on passing a medical assessment. The medical assessment consisted of 3 questions just asking if you're on any current medication, if you have any current injuries, and if you have any past injuries that will prevent you from doing any functions of the job. I printed it out and emailed it back within 5 minutes.

Then on January 13th, 2015 I received my final email congratulating me on the position and confirming that I was actually being hired. In the email I received instructions on my week long paid orientation that starts January 26th, 2015.

Hope this helps. I will post another review after my orientation!

Interview Questions

• Have you had a job requiring you to work outside before?   2 Answers

Negotiation

No negotiation.

Rural Carrier Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at US Postal Service.

Interview

Was quick and smooth. Filled out the application online and was scheduled to take the cival service test right afterwards. I didnt know to study for the test so I just went in and took it. Was pretty common sense stuff with nothing to major to worry about, but studying wouldnt have been a bad idea. Within a week or so I was called for an interview which was just about like any other interview. Within 3 weeks of the interview I was emailed some papers to fill out and fax in for my background checks, as well as my drug test. Within 2 hours of taking my drug test I was offered a position and filled out my medical questionaire. Waiting now to hear back about my training. Overall, very easy process.

Interview Questions

• Was asked the normal questions that everyone always asks, the main one being, tell me a little bit about yourself. The best way to answer this is answered all over the internet and was a big help.   Answer Question

Rural Carrier Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at US Postal Service (Baltimore, MD) in March 2015.

Interview

Applied for USPS online on 1/1/2015. Then as soon as I was done with the application online I received an email for an invitation to take the 473 Exam. They will allow for you to choose a day, time and location to take the Exam. Two days later, 1/3/2015, I took the exam and passed with with an 83%. A little over a week later, I received an email to do a background check and drug test screening. Havent heard or received any emails for a little over 5 weeks. Then on 2/20/2015 I finally received a phone call for a group and one on one interview on 2/24/2015. 18 other people were suppose to attend but only 8 attended. The interview was mostly about them describing the job. After the group interview they call you in for the one on one interview to make an offer. 2/27/2015 I received an email for an Extended Offer with USPS along with the Employment forms attached. Then I received another email for a Processing Appointment on 3/4/2015 to turn in my completed Employment forms to Local Services following the fingerprint process. Now I'm just waiting for the orientation and training.

Interview Questions

• Are you ok with working outside even in the rain or snow?   Answer Question
    • Have u ever had a job where they require for you to work outside?   Answer Question
    • Are you ok with not being able to receive benefits for one year?   Answer Question
    • How do u feel about being your own supervisor?   Answer Question

CCA Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at US Postal Service (Irvine, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

Mass interview with over 50 people. Lasted about 2 good hours, very informative information provided by people of power. Great insight into the position applied for. Great experience all in all. At this point I'm waiting on the medical assessment and also to complete the pre employment background. I suspect my first official day to be the last Monday in April.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you had to deal with an irate customer? What did you do? How did you handle it?   Answer Question

Rca Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at US Postal Service.

Interview

They only asked few questions ; have you had your license suspended in the last 3 years and have you been arrested. They also wanted to know how far did you stay from work.

Interview Questions

Application

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at US Postal Service.

Interview

DO NOT APPLY FOR A JOB HERE!! I applied for a City Carrier position back in Feb and they had me take a drug test and paid for a background check. A few weeks later, they said I was no longer eligible because I have 1 speeding ticket on my MVR. I got an email yesterday saying I was being invited to attend a group interview next week. I emailed the procurement lady back to see if they had changed their minds on my status. She sends an unprofessional response "In error sorry". Every email she sent me over the month process of recruitment was poorly typed. Apparently the postal service doesn't require employees to have professional typing and grammar skills. She doesn't deserve to be in her position and isn't representing the postal service very well. They won't give me an interview because of 1 speeding ticket, and she has an administrative position with bad grammar and typing? Really? Unbelievable!

PSE Clerk Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at US Postal Service.

Interview

I waited outside in the lobby and called my hiring contact to walk me through the secured building. There were three of us waiting. We were given a brief tour of the facility. We were led into a conference room where we filled out paperwork documenting the last five years of our residency. I waited in the conference room until I was called up for my interview. They walked me into another room for my one on one interview. It was a very easy going process. They verified my background, asked a few generic interview questions, and asked my shift preference. Then I was sent to another room where I got fingerprinted and then another room where I got my photo taken for an ID card. I was a bit confused on whether or not I had gotten the job because they did not directly say it, but after they asked me which day I was available for orientation, I knew I had gotten the job.

City Carrier Assistant (CCA) Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at US Postal Service.

Interview

I have orientation this coming Monday, and these forums are very interesting. I want to type a really good detailed procces and info on how to become a CCA and just how the orientation/training went. So stayed tuned, thanks.

City Carrier Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at US Postal Service (Los Angeles, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

Upon reading other interview experiences I was already expecting a large group of people for a mass interview. I was not expecting over 100, more than half were weeded out for either not passing background check or drug screening. By the way if you are not confident that you are going to pass do yourself a favor do not show up because they call your name out and put you on the spot in front of everyone.
     More than half of the people left due to the speaker explaining the expectations of the employee, telling you that pretty much you must not have any plans or other responsibilities for you will potentionally be working 7 days a week any hours of the day with no benefits making $15.68 hourly. Examples she gave... "If you have a graduation, wedding, summer vacation, 3day weekend, kids who need your time, then do not stay for the interview." "You will be working if you don't show up you will be fired and can not ever work for USPS again" scare tactic? I don't know. But it didn't convince me to stay for the interview.

Interview Questions

• Are you willing to work 7 days a week any hours for a non career position making $15.68?   1 Answer

CCA Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oshkosh, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at US Postal Service (Oshkosh, WI).

Interview

The interview process is straightforward, IF you pass the postal exam and the pre exam online, did I hit my thirty words yet glassdoor? geez what a silly requirement demanding thirty words.

Interview Questions

• If I could deliver mail safely   1 Answer