US Postal Service

Updated Dec 18, 2014
Updated Dec 18, 2014

2.0

CITY CARRIER ASSISTANT (HOLIDAY TERM) Interview

About 50 people showed up and we were all brought into a large room with tables and chairs. A speaker told us about the job and that we would be required to work up to possibly 12 hours a day 7 days a week including Christmas and New Years. We were required to fill out a lot of paperwork while the speaker explained how to fill it out and answered any questions. We were then called in 1 at a time to interview with only 1 person. Then back to sit in the large room until called again to the back of the room to go over our paperwork and give any missing information. About 5 hours in all.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a situation where you dealt with an upset customer, how you handled it and what the outcome was.   Answer Question

City Carrier Assistant Interview

The interview process is a drawn out affair. Before you hold an interview you must take a test. What you score on this test determines your place on the hiring list. You are then invited to a meeting room another day with other prospective employees and given forms to complete. There is a time for questions and answers with the Human resources staff.

Mail Handler Assistant Interview

I applied online – interviewed at US Postal Service.

Never had a formal interview. Large room where I asked questions and then a five minute individual session where I verified what shift I wanted. Most work done online...testing was at a center. Not all positions require the testing.

Interview Questions
    • Are u willing to work any and all scheduled holidays?   View Answer
    No negotiation at the USPS. they own you. You deal with it.

PSE Mail Processing Clerk Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at US Postal Service.

I applied for this position on November 20th. I was sent an email for a interview on the 3rd of December. This process was a breeze. I was very nervous when I entered the interview and the person during interview made me feel really comfortable. We talked about my work history and my ability to handle the job as a PSE Processing Clerk.

PSE Mail Processing Clerk Interview

I applied online. The process took 9+ monthsinterviewed at US Postal Service.

This whole process took 9 months for me. I applied for city carrier 1st 11/19/13 I was invited for an assessment 1/22/14 I was invited for an interview 2/4/14. I didn't get the position because of my driving record. Thus I applied for mail processing clerk 3/5/14. 10/18/14 I was invited in for a drug test. 11/1/14 I was invited in for an interview. The interview was so short I figured I didn't get the job. 12/3/14 I was finally offered the position. Everything was through email. Frequently check your email. You never know!

PSE Mail Processing Clerk and Casual Mail Handler Interview

I applied online – interviewed at US Postal Service.

The process is straight forward, making a career profile online and then filling out the application. Depending on your position, you will need to take the Postal Exam which isn't too hard because you can download a study guide of what the test will be. Then if you pass the test and your application is selected, you will have to take a drug test and have a background check. You will have to do this and fax or mail in papers that are emailed to you about this within a certain number of days or you will no longer be considered for the job. Then the interview is next which is pretty simple. They go through your application with you and make corrections or fill in missing information. They ask about 4 or 5 actual interview questions. Then if you're selected, finger prints are the next step and last step. Everything is done by email so make sure to check your spam folder because there is a time limit. The whole process takes around 2-3 months. I applied in mid/end of May twice and started working the middle of August the first time and the end of July the second time. Another time, I applied mid January and began working late March.

Interview Questions
    • Did you ever have any unschedule absences and why?
      If Supervisor A gives you an assignment and Supervisor B gives you a different assignment in which you had to abandon your previous assignment, what would you do?
      How often were you late at your previous job?

View Answer
    No negotiations, they tell you the hourly pay in the application. Some people are eligible for Sunday Premium, holiday pay, and/or night differential

Data Conversion Operator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through other source. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at US Postal Service.

Applied on the website, took two tests at two different locations and days and passed both, received email for group interview in two weeks, filled out paperwork at group interview and got fingerprinted, signed a background check release form and faxed it in, took a drug test, waited to hear that I was finally hired, got an unofficial email saying I was hired.

Interview Questions
    No negotiating took place. I wasn't even sure I was being offered the job. I had to pass the background and drug test before I knew for sure that I was hired.

City Carrier Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at US Postal Service.

The application process starts with an on-line application. You are then invited to take the exam. The exam has very short time, so you have to hurry. The most difficult portion of the exam is the memory section at the end. Practice memorization techniques.

After you pass the exam, you can get an interview. The questions are not difficult and the answers are obvious. The score on the exam is the most important factor in the hiring process from what I understand.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation possible. Union contracts control.

I Was Interviewing for Cca Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at US Postal Service.

Not really an interview but just filling out paperwork if you had 2 checks on your file than you know you got hired. You just need a good background and clean drug test

No negotiations

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Flemington, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Flemington, NJ

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at US Postal Service in December 2014.

Process took about 4 weeks until I got my interview. Interview was more them telling me what the job entails. Everyone was very friendly. It was a group setting, about 30 people, some CCA's some RCA's (rural carrier). You fill out some paperwork, photograph two forms of ID, then they pull you in for an interview. The interview was easy, just basic questions. If you still want the job, they fingerprint you. I was told I was "recommended" for the CCA position and pending no problems with the drug test or background checks, my start date would be either this Monday or the following Monday, so within 2 weeks. Its been 3 days since the interview, I took the drug test same day. I'm waiting for an email to let me know when I start for orientation.

Was told at the interview CCA hourly rate just went up to 15.63 from 15.30. RCA's make a little more per hour (16 something) but get less hours than City Carriers.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing difficult or unexpected. "Did you ever have a job where you had to answer to more than one supervisor and got two different answers? How would you handle that?" "Ever been in a position where you handled money?"   Answer Question
    No negotiation. Pay rate is currently $15.63 per hour, time and half if you work over 8 hrs in a day and anything over 40 hrs. per week. Double time for anything over 56 hrs. per week (uncommon).