US Postal Service Interview Questions

Updated Sep 2, 2015

2.0

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at US Postal Service in January 2015.

Interview

The entire process took just over a month, and about a month and a half till the start of orientation (Remember this is a government job so there's always extensive screening processes). I did an online application on December 10th, 2014. Following my submission, I was emailed a link to complete an online assessment. They both were fairly easy; it seemed more or less to see if you were competent (the second was more personality based questions). A week later on December 17th I was emailed a link to sign up to do a proctored exam. This you have to complete within x amount of days (I think it was complete it within 5 days). I was worried since I obviously was working a different job and it was a week before Christmas. Luckily there was a date and time that I was available for. I signed up for Exam 473 Delivery, Distribution and Retail and took the exam on the last available day: December 22nd, 2014. There's plenty of practice exams and examples online so research it! Its not a typical exam and not a good one to walk into blindly. They will email you your results before you get home from the exam. I think the passing grade that qualifies you for the CCA position is 82% A week later on December 29th, 2014 I was emailed an invite to interview face-to-face. Along with this email, they also send you links to complete a background check and to go in to a place to do a drug test (urinalysis). They do mass interviews/orientations so they tell you a date and time and there's not much leeway. Mine was for January 6th, 2015. I walked into a conference room with 50 other people there for the same position. (I live in a large city with many cities/post offices so there were plenty of positions open). We filled out paperwork (In case we were offered a position it would be done already) and then the HR rep gave more details about the position to weed out any weak ones (which some people actually got up and left). Then we all were individually interviewed (5 at a time and my luck I was the last round of interviews...it took over 2 hours until my turn). On to the actual interview: It was easy...really easy. Whenever I do any job interview I always find something to connect me with my interviewer. Luckily this happened immediately. I like finding a connection because then you can mostly talk about that (instead of the job) and build a relationship getting them to really like you. My advice: be the one to ask questions and lead the interview. Anywho, the questions were so simple, mostly just to see if you are willing to battle the weather. Since I live in a region that gets bombarded with blizzards in the winter and extreme humidity in the summer, they just wanted to see if you were up to being outside and walking in the extreme conditions. It was basically just a compatibility interview to see if you grew up with a strong work ethic and if you can handle the outside world. At the end of the interview my interviewer told me she was going to recommend me for the position ( I don't know if they typically tell people that; I was just the last one of the day and we had good report so I think she told me to lessen the pain of being there all day). 2 days later on January 8th, 2015 I received another email giving me a conditional offer for the position contingent on passing a medical assessment. The medical assessment consisted of 3 questions just asking if you're on any current medication, if you have any current injuries, and if you have any past injuries that will prevent you from doing any functions of the job. I printed it out and emailed it back within 5 minutes. Then on January 13th, 2015 I received my final email congratulating me on the position and confirming that I was actually being hired. In the email I received instructions on my week long paid orientation that starts January 26th, 2015. Hope this helps. I will post another review after my orientation!

Interview Questions

• Have you had a job requiring you to work outside before?   7 Answers

Negotiation

No negotiation.

Exam 916 Custodial Maintenance Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at US Postal Service.

Interview

I took the 916 assessment and scored a 77.20 , I took the test This month and I'm wondering if that good or bad. I also would like to know, when I'll receive the interview email...someone help? I'm lost on what's going on, I haven't received word on

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at US Postal Service.

Interview

Was quick and smooth. Filled out the application online and was scheduled to take the cival service test right afterwards. I didnt know to study for the test so I just went in and took it. Was pretty common sense stuff with nothing to major to worry about, but studying wouldnt have been a bad idea. Within a week or so I was called for an interview which was just about like any other interview. Within 3 weeks of the interview I was emailed some papers to fill out and fax in for my background checks, as well as my drug test. Within 2 hours of taking my drug test I was offered a position and filled out my medical questionaire. Waiting now to hear back about my training. Overall, very easy process.

Interview Questions

• Was asked the normal questions that everyone always asks, the main one being, tell me a little bit about yourself. The best way to answer this is answered all over the internet and was a big help.   Answer Question

PSE Mail Processing Clerk Interview

Interview

On July 1st I took my exam passed that with a 79.60 soon as I got in my car I receive the results on July6 I received an email to do a drug test and background today I called Gis and they told me that my background check and drug test were completely clear just waiting on interview I hope I don't have a long wait for that

City Carrier Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at US Postal Service (Cleveland, OH) in September 2015.

Interview

Took 473 test. Passed. Invited to take drug test. Passed. Background check and driving records. Passed On August 31, 2015 I received an email about the interview/processing session. I'm not sure what to expect but if I'm offered a position I WILL TAKE IT! I haven't worked since December 2014. I'm ready to get back at it. Can anyone tell me what should expect in this interview/processing session???

Interview Questions

• Can you work in the outside elements?   2 Answers

City Carrier Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at US Postal Service (Chicago, IL) in August 2015.

Interview

I applied for this position on August 3rd 2015 but I had already applied for a Rural Carrier Associate on July 29th.. the same day I received a notification to take an online assessment about 2 minutes later and if I passed the online assessment, I would be invited to take the 473 exam.. Which I took on August 5th. After I received my score from the exam, which I passed with an 82%, my status of the application was updated from "application entry" to "pre-hire list." On August 21st I received an email to pick an interview day either for the 24th of August or the 25th of August. I emailed and asked if I could be scheduled for an interview on August 24th. I received an email back later that day for an interview time for 1pm on August 24th. I went to my interview that Monday, I was early.. arrived about 12:40pm.. make sure u arrive early and notify the postmaster that u are there. They like that and it shows initiative. She took me back to interview me at 12:45pm.. it was a relaxed interview, be friendly as possible. Have fun and smile a lot. She informed me how many hours I would be working, asked me about 4 basic questions and told me what she would expect from a new hire. Which is a good attitude. We had a few laughs, told me she would be making her selections the following day which was Tuesday but to keep an eye on my email because I would be receiving a job offer. I told her thank u for her time and left. Wednesday, August 26th.. i finally received notification for a conditional job offer. U have 7 days to accept it. Then u do ur background check, drug test, and fingerprints. They tell u that it will be 3 days of training and that it is paid. They want to start u as quickly as possible. They don't waste time. Good luck everyone!

Interview Questions

• Are u a detailed oriented person? Do u have an issue with traveling? Will working long hours be ok for u? If ur postmaster told u to do something but ur manager told u to deliver express mail, what would u do? Do u have customer service experience?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation.. things are pretty much set in stone. The pay is over 15, so I have no issues.

CCA Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Little Rock, AR

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at US Postal Service (Little Rock, AR) in September 2015.

Interview

All exams, background check and drug screen were done prior to interview. Was called for interview 3 hours after doing the drug screen. The manager was scheduling for the next day. I went to the interview where I spoke with 2 post masters from area cities. After a brief explanation of the position, I was asked some scripted questions. "Tell me about yourself ", tell me about a time when you had to meet a deadline and what were the results ", "tell me about a time when you dealt with an angry customer ". There were a few more. Then I was asked if I had any parking tickets or accidents. They made a copy of my IDs and told me that they would be making a decision that evening. I would hear that night or the next day. I'm still waiting to hear, though it's only been a few hours.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had a sudden change in schedule and how did you handle it.   Answer Question

Rural Carrier Associate Interview

Interview

No interview. Still waiting. Applied online and passed the personality test. Then I took the postal exam test - passed. About 1-2 weeks after that, I took the drug test. This was a couple days ago. I have not heard back for an interview.

CCA Interview

Anonymous Employee in Oxnard, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at US Postal Service (Oxnard, CA).

Interview

it is all about how well you do on the test. The bests scores win the job. It doesn't even matter how you dress. It is all about the score.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

everything is set in price per the union. everyone knows what everyone else makes because of the union

Mail Handler Assistant Interview

Application

The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at US Postal Service.

Interview

I took the online assessment and the proctored exam. Very very easy. They asked general questions just to make sure you pay attention to detail. I passed and had my results emailed the same day. In just waiting for an inperson interview.