US Postal Service

272 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

CCA Interview

Virginia Beach, VA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at US Postal Service in February 2013.

Interview Details – Show you a video, ask are you flexible?, are you a good driver?, can you meet deadlines? If yes to all three, you're hired

Interview Question – N/a unless your driving record is bad.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None.

CITY LETTER CARRIER Interview

I applied through other source and the process took 3 months - interviewed at US Postal Service.

Interview Details – Take civil service test, interview, placement in temp position and what for carrier slot to open up.

Interview Question – Are you afraid of dogs? Do you mind working in inclement weather? Is carrying heavy objects a problem? Can you be punctual, timely, and efficient? Can you work six days a week 8-10 hours a day?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – None

CCA Interview

Interviewed at US Postal Service

Interview Details – interview was simple, went over what is to be expected.

Interview Question – Describe a time where you disagreed with a co worker. Explain how you resolved it.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Transitional Employee- Letter Carrier Interview

Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at US Postal Service in March 2010.

Interview Details – Initial Phone interview, Driving test using your personal vehicle Drug/background screening, in-person interview(s), Human resource/medical review, then driving/safety training. At any of these junctures a person could be released and not proceed with the hiring process. This was a very impersonal process that occurs over a period of four to six weeks, most of which is at the applicant's expense. It was inevitable over this time span that friendships began to bud, but were quickly nipped in the bud when people were let go.

Interview Question – Why did I want to become a mail carrier.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation as this was a union position with pre-set pay rate.

City Carrier Assistant Interview

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at US Postal Service in August 2012.

Interview Details – Submitted application online at the usps career website. Received an email about 1 month later asking me to show up at an interview at the local post office branch that was hiring. All other candidates were there at the same time and were shown into a conference room where the manager asked us to sign in and gave us a "reality check" talk on how this job was not for everyone because of the long hours, bad weather and the fact that it was not a career position. After that asked if everyone still wanted to go through the process and everyone did. Manager then interviewed each person separately in a different room. Asked standard questions about previous experience, strengths v. weaknesses and what previous boss might say about you. Manager was very polite and easy going the whole time. A couple of days after the interview received an email to submit to drug test and background check. About two weeks later was called by HR stating that I had been accepted and scheduled 2 day orientation. After orientation was scheduled to attend 1 day of drivers training and 3 days of carrier academy.

Interview Question – None. Questions were all very standard boilerplate type interview questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. Hourly pay is listed on job announcement.

PSE Clerk Interview

I applied online - interviewed at US Postal Service in July 2012.

Interview Details – Was actually good....once you showed up on time... you pretty much got the job...

Negotiation Details – Just one set rate for everyone

City Carrier Assistant Interview

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at US Postal Service in March 2014.

Interview Details – It took a long time to not get hired. lol I initially applied online on January 27, 2014. I filled out application online. Then received an email saying I was invited to complete an online personality type test. No right or wrong, just your beliefs/practices type questionnaire. After that if you "pass", you receive an invite to take a proctored test. This is an actual test of how well you are at memorization and noticing errors in address information. The test is given in multiple dates and locations and I was able to pick where to take it. Received test score same day or next day, cant remember, but if you receive a high enough pass combined score then you are invited to interview. ( the personality type test gets factored into the score you received on the proctored test, not sure how it is calculated.)
I was invited to interview, but that location is set as is the time. It was kinda far from me but I went. The interview questions were very easy and mundane, nothing crazy. Examples: explain trouble situation at past job and how you handled it, describe toughest situation with a team member and how you handled it, how do you handle an irate customer.
The interviewer I had was very friendly and made that experience very comfortable. Also at that time they did a fingerprint/ background check and you had to fill out a lot of paperwork and select the locations that you could work at from a list of job openings. I did not know the areas that well, so I did not pick too many. I passed interview and background portion. But was not selected as they pick you for a location based on your score and compare you with other people that picked same location. My score was only 84. Plus I only picked like 6 locations that I had heard of. (Also keep in mind veterans get preference by being allowed to add a certain number of points to their final score.)
The process, as far as I went, took from jan. 27th to March 12th. I was having to wait a week or two between each step. so a very long drawn out "interview" process indeed!

Interview Question – not a question was difficult but the selecting of available work locations was difficult for me. I do not understand why they could not have provided a map of the locations. I was applying in the NYC/NJ area and there were tons of places needing people but I don't know area well enough to know what was close enough to me and you don't have time to google every single location on your phone!   Answer Question

Rural Carrier Associate Interview

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at US Postal Service in March 2014.

Interview Details – Began in February - applied online and took personality test, received notification to go to testing site, took test, received score within an hour (note online that status changed from application entry to hiring list), received email for interview, interview was a panel interview with 3 postmasters from different locations(one stated she was the certified interviewer, the other 2 were each from a different post office and were looking to hire an RCA, take your drivers license with you they will need a photo copy, they basically asked the same questions they did on your application (driving record, felonies, etc) what they did was dated and initialed your original responses so they had an updated record in case anything transpired between the time you applied and the interview, then they asked basic questions such as - how would you handle an irate customer, why do you want to work for the po, and why should we select you for the position, they told me to watch my email for 2 different emails, one email would be the drug test and the other email would be the background/driving record check, completed the drug test the next day (fyi...places are open on the weekends) and signed and faxed my background check paperwork. It has been 3 weeks and I still have not heard anything yet. Although, the post master did say I was selected. I emailed and asked. So, I guess we are just waiting for all the backlgrounds to get done.

Interview Question – Very relaxed and informal interview. Completely different than corporate company interviews. Just be yourself and relax. I studied and it was not necessary.   Answer Question

Los Angeles, CA

I applied online and the process took 7+ weeks - interviewed at US Postal Service in March 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online and was invited to take the exam. Took it 2 weeks later, got a 71 plus 10 vet points. Got called for interview about 2 weeks later. Knew I had the job if I wanted it even before going to the interview since I'm a disabled veteran. Strolled in like a boss. About 15 other peeps in waiting room for interviews. Manager seemed to have attitude but nothing he could do since I'm protected under Veteran Employment Opportunity Act. Sent me for drug test immediately after interview. A week later I was called in for driving test. From there filled out paperwork and started training. If you aren't a veteran then you better score exceptionally high on the exam or you don't have a chance in a large city due to number of vet applicants. If you're in sticksville you might have a better chance.

Interview Question – None were difficult knowing the job was mine.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotation either take their offer or dont

Buffalo, NY

I applied online - interviewed at US Postal Service in March 2014.

Interview Details – Filled out application online
Took postal exam
2 weeks later got invitation for mandatory orientation/drug screening/background check
went to orientation which included interview & completed drug + background check forms/tests
have not heard anything yet about results, application status still says pre-screening
have no idea how to further check the status of my application

Interviews for Top Jobs at US Postal Service

Worked for US Postal Service? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at US Postal Service interview questions and advice. All 272 interview reviews posted anonymously by US Postal Service employees and interview candidates.