US Postal Service Interview Questions

Updated Mar 25, 2015
Updated Mar 25, 2015

2.0

City Carrier Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at US Postal Service in January 2015.

The entire process took just over a month, and about a month and a half till the start of orientation (Remember this is a government job so there's always extensive screening processes). I did an online application on December 10th, 2014. Following my submission, I was emailed a link to complete an online assessment. They both were fairly easy; it seemed more or less to see if you were competent (the second was more personality based questions).

A week later on December 17th I was emailed a link to sign up to do a proctored exam. This you have to complete within x amount of days (I think it was complete it within 5 days). I was worried since I obviously was working a different job and it was a week before Christmas. Luckily there was a date and time that I was available for. I signed up for Exam 473 Delivery, Distribution and Retail and took the exam on the last available day: December 22nd, 2014. There's plenty of practice exams and examples online so research it! Its not a typical exam and not a good one to walk into blindly. They will email you your results before you get home from the exam. I think the passing grade that qualifies you for the CCA position is 82%

A week later on December 29th, 2014 I was emailed an invite to interview face-to-face. Along with this email, they also send you links to complete a background check and to go in to a place to do a drug test (urinalysis).

They do mass interviews/orientations so they tell you a date and time and there's not much leeway. Mine was for January 6th, 2015. I walked into a conference room with 50 other people there for the same position. (I live in a large city with many cities/post offices so there were plenty of positions open). We filled out paperwork (In case we were offered a position it would be done already) and then the HR rep gave more details about the position to weed out any weak ones (which some people actually got up and left). Then we all were individually interviewed (5 at a time and my luck I was the last round of interviews...it took over 2 hours until my turn).

On to the actual interview:

It was easy...really easy. Whenever I do any job interview I always find something to connect me with my interviewer. Luckily this happened immediately. I like finding a connection because then you can mostly talk about that (instead of the job) and build a relationship getting them to really like you. My advice: be the one to ask questions and lead the interview. Anywho, the questions were so simple, mostly just to see if you are willing to battle the weather. Since I live in a region that gets bombarded with blizzards in the winter and extreme humidity in the summer, they just wanted to see if you were up to being outside and walking in the extreme conditions. It was basically just a compatibility interview to see if you grew up with a strong work ethic and if you can handle the outside world. At the end of the interview my interviewer told me she was going to recommend me for the position ( I don't know if they typically tell people that; I was just the last one of the day and we had good report so I think she told me to lessen the pain of being there all day).

2 days later on January 8th, 2015 I received another email giving me a conditional offer for the position contingent on passing a medical assessment. The medical assessment consisted of 3 questions just asking if you're on any current medication, if you have any current injuries, and if you have any past injuries that will prevent you from doing any functions of the job. I printed it out and emailed it back within 5 minutes.

Then on January 13th, 2015 I received my final email congratulating me on the position and confirming that I was actually being hired. In the email I received instructions on my week long paid orientation that starts January 26th, 2015.

Hope this helps. I will post another review after my orientation!

No negotiation.

Rural Carrier Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at US Postal Service.

Was quick and smooth. Filled out the application online and was scheduled to take the cival service test right afterwards. I didnt know to study for the test so I just went in and took it. Was pretty common sense stuff with nothing to major to worry about, but studying wouldnt have been a bad idea. Within a week or so I was called for an interview which was just about like any other interview. Within 3 weeks of the interview I was emailed some papers to fill out and fax in for my background checks, as well as my drug test. Within 2 hours of taking my drug test I was offered a position and filled out my medical questionaire. Waiting now to hear back about my training. Overall, very easy process.

Interview Questions
    • Was asked the normal questions that everyone always asks, the main one being, tell me a little bit about yourself. The best way to answer this is answered all over the internet and was a big help.   Answer Question

PSE Clerk Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pensacola, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pensacola, FL

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at US Postal Service in March 2015.

Process took one month......

Applied 2/5/15 and took personality assessment same day. Passed and scheduled the online exam

2/15/15 took exam at testing center. Got results in email a few minutes later

3/10/15 had interview. One on one and was a breeze. Basically what would you do if type questions. Got email to schedule drug screen and background check a few hours later.

3/11/15 did drug screen and faxed background check form

3/16/15 was offered the position and did fingerprints and filled out paperwork. Just waiting on my orientation date

I applied online – interviewed at US Postal Service.

I applied online for the position. After passing an online exam, I scheduled myself to take the 473 exam. My combined exam score was over an 84. I waited for about a month before I was contacted for an interview. The interview was done in a group. They first gave us a tour of the post office and explained the duties of the job. They then interviewed us one-on-one in order of our test scores with the highest scoring going first (I was the second person they interviewed). They asked standard interview questions. I was then called a couple weeks later and told they had two openings and was asked if I was still interested. I said yes. They emailed me paperwork so they could conduct a background check and drug test. And, that's as far as I have gotten in the hiring process.

I applied online – interviewed at US Postal Service.

the is interview was real easy, the interviewer just gave info about the positions. I did get offer the position still waiting on my start date. this really a long process. I file out the app on line in December I received an email for an interview 2 week later. one week letter I received a email to take my drug test, then one week later a received a email to offer me the job

Interview Questions
    • They really did not me any question because I did work for the company already so I know what the position was all about   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at US Postal Service in March 2015.

Applied for USPS online on 1/1/2015. Then as soon as I was done with the application online I received an email for an invitation to take the 473 Exam. They will allow for you to choose a day, time and location to take the Exam. Two days later, 1/3/2015, I took the exam and passed with with an 83%. A little over a week later, I received an email to do a background check and drug test screening. Havent heard or received any emails for a little over 5 weeks. Then on 2/20/2015 I finally received a phone call for a group and one on one interview on 2/24/2015. 18 other people were suppose to attend but only 8 attended. The interview was mostly about them describing the job. After the group interview they call you in for the one on one interview to make an offer. 2/27/2015 I received an email for an Extended Offer with USPS along with the Employment forms attached. Then I received another email for a Processing Appointment on 3/4/2015 to turn in my completed Employment forms to Local Services following the fingerprint process. Now I'm just waiting for the orientation and training.

Interview Questions
    • Are you ok with working outside even in the rain or snow?   Answer Question
    • Have u ever had a job where they require for you to work outside?   Answer Question
    • Are you ok with not being able to receive benefits for one year?   Answer Question
    • How do u feel about being your own supervisor?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Coopersburg, PA
    Anonymous Employee in Coopersburg, PA

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at US Postal Service in March 2015.

I applied online. I got through exam procedure in a few days including online test. And I got an email that I was invited to a interview from one of offices I applied a few weeks later.
    Overall interview was easy, not tense. There are no tricky questions, only behavioral questions in a situation with customers and coworkers. The manager kept saying that the interview questions are not important but just procedures.
    They really need me use my own vehicle for delivery, and that was the point I hesitated. They say I would need mini vans or SUVs since I have to sit on passenger seat with mails on driver seat. That was a problem for me. The manager noticed a problem from my face, but he said that I can consider getting a suitable car after being chosen.

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I applied in-person – interviewed at US Postal Service in March 2015.

Easy questions its all about the skill you are about to do for the position. I did not accept the positiion because there was no benefits until after your first year with the company.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Trenton, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Trenton, NJ

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at US Postal Service in March 2015.

Easy, short, common sense questions. Alot of other applicants present but interviews are done one on one. Very organized interviewers are very nice. Since there was so many other applicants there was a long wait to be interviewed.

City Carrier Assistant Interview

I applied online – interviewed at US Postal Service.

I applied, was sent the personality assessment, was then invited to take the postal exam, after about 2 weeks I was invited to interview and had to wrangle up all of my driving records from the states I lived in for the last 5 years. I had 4. I spent a lot of money using office max's fax machine.
    I went to the interview and there were about 6 other people there. I was 20 minutes early, but felt late. I waited for hours. When I was called back she didn't like my criminal history, I had to write a statement explaining each situation and then she said I needed to get her a court docket to prove the most recent case was closed. Despite all of that she said she would recommend me for the job. The docket took another week to get. I was asked to drug test and did.
    While waiting for the docket, I was invited to interview for the same position, but a different location. When I finished that interview I sent the First Lady my court docket. She called me angry, said that she found out I interviewed somewhere else asked me which job I preferred and then gave me a verbal offer when I said I preferred whoever would hire me first. As soon as I got off the phone with her I was called by the second lady who interviewed me and she asked why I switched back to my first preference.
    I felt jerked around without any job offer in writing. Not very professional.