US Postal Service

Average Difficulty
331 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Houston, TX

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at US Postal Service in January 2014.

Interview Details – Everything is by email initially but eventually you will follow the orders that HR will send you. The job itself is very formal but depend on location the envronment of hostility depends upon the Supervisor in charge. There is alot of retaliation within the post office but your best bit stay to yourself.

Negotiation Details – Smoke Screen they will say one thing and do another

Rural Carrier Associate Interview

Rural Carrier Associate
Saint Augustine, FL

I applied online - interviewed at US Postal Service in June 2014.

Interview Details – They will tell you you need to use your own vehicle, but unless your vehicle has right hand drive, and plenty of room for all the packages and mail, your wasting your time.

Interview Question – None of the questions were unexpected.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There wasn't any negotiation.

Manager Human Resources Interview

Manager Human Resources
Shreve, OH

I applied through other source - interviewed at US Postal Service in June 2010.

Interview Details – In most cases employees are hired in lower level positions and must work their way up to higher level positions. Employees must take an entrance exam and score in the 90% to be considered for a position. Employees are selected for interview and hiring based strictly by their exam score. A criminal background check and preemployment screening must show negative results in order to hired. The interview questions are mostly general in nature and center around work hour availibility and physical requirements of the job.

Interview Question – The jobs at the Postal Service are very demanding even at lowere level positions so the most difficult question to answer is wheter you are willing to work any hours and any day of the week. If not chances are you will be passed over.   Answer Question

Manhattan, KS

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at US Postal Service in July 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online and was instructed to take a personality test, after the personality test I scheduled an appointment for the 473 exam. I scored an 83.8 which is decent plus 5 points for serving active duty in military. The test is pretty easy, just make sure you look at the memorization part as long as possible, and do the sample memorization part as well which use the same addresses they give you in the "real" test. I then waited two weeks and was contacted by email for a one on one interview. The interview was very simple. Asking questions about job experience. I was contacted the next day for a drug test and offered the position.

Interview Question – All were very easy, make sure you respond to questions about safety hazards by saying you would follow all safety procedures and policies before preforming a task.   Answer Question

Mansfield, OH

I applied online and the process took 5 months - interviewed at US Postal Service in July 2014.

Interview Details – Process took 5+ months from beginning to end. Initially applied online back in February 2014 and just received word today that I got offered the position. After applying online, within a week I received an email to fill out an on-line background check and required to fax a paper. Simultaneously I scheduled a test to take at a semi-local college. If you want to know what the test is about, google it or see comments on here. After completion of that and almost immediate results, I heard nothing for easily 3+ months. During that time and till the end, online just said "In-process" & "Pre-screening"; this was very frustrating to say the least, and I gave up on it.

Roughly 3 weeks ago, I received an email asking me to do the background check on-line and faxing the form in again, along with scheduling an interview at my local post office. After completing that, I scored an interview after about 2-3 days. Interview was easy (see below), equivalent to them checking to see if you have a pulse honestly. Following the interview, I heard nothing and was slowly starting to drift away from remembering I applied.

Today I received a phone call from the HR rep and they offered me the job. Start orientation in 1 1/2 weeks, then it's off to being a pack mule! On a side note, all correspondence typically has a 3 day reply time to acknowledge the tasks they give you, so make sure to browse spam folder often to make sure. Also, make sure you research the test subjects and stuff, the last part can be tricky, as your test score means a lot on the waiting list.

Interview Question – Questions are non-existent or few at best. Very basic questions. Besides just acting professionally and answering the questions like you personally were hiring for your company, I'd recommend scrubbing everyone else's questions on here.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation for this job. CCA 1 is $15.00/hr & CCA 2 is $15.30/hr, unless you were in the business already (rare).

Omaha, NE

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at US Postal Service in March 2013.

Interview Details – Began with a brief over the phone interview. Then went on to second one on one interview at main office. Asked standard interview questions, such as, strengths and weaknesses, why do you want to work at the post office, etc. Ended with an email to make an official offer and set a date to begin the hiring process.

Interview Question – Straightforward questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. Pay is set by USPS.

Mail Handler Interview

Mail Handler

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at US Postal Service in August 2010.

Interview Details – Go on line to find locations as to where the USPS is hiring "helpers" and apply. Make absolutely sure you are on the USPS website! In the past Postal Examinations were given every 6 months to the public, today only "helpers"/casuals are eligible to take the test after a certain time frame. Must pass Postal Examination. Will get notified of score via mail. Make sure you keep your address updated as you will be notified via mail once a position has opened according to your score.

Interview Question – During written exam some questions are tricky - get the USPS test book at the library; DO NOT pay an organization which claims to insure hiring via the USPS, they're frauds. Also 1 test will be included in your testing appointment.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There's not negotiation, you will either be hired or not. USPS will put you on a schedule as they deem needed, not what you need.

Bullhead City, AZ

I applied online and the process took 5 months - interviewed at US Postal Service in January 2014.

Interview Details – Testing was in las vegas. it was a long time waiting... the entire thing took aprox. 5 months. .. & training was in Phoenix. They dont train very well& it could use hands on which they DO NOT offer.

Interview Question – All interview questions were pretty basic.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – there was no negotiation the pay is a standard rate.

City Carrier Assistant I Interview

City Carrier Assistant I
Tulsa, OK

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at US Postal Service in June 2014.

Interview Details – The first thing i did was filled out an application on USPS career website. followed by two test. one week letter i was invited to attend a group interview immediately following a personal interview. arrive early so you will get in and out. the total interview took approximately 1.5 hours. majority of the interview different managers tell you about their experience as a postal worker. after the interview one week later, i was invited by email to fill out an electronic background check and take a drug screening. one week after that i received a letter of processing/ job offer.

Interview Question – have you ever delivered anything before?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – the postal workers never discussed wages with me

Rca Interview

Rca
Waterloo, IA

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at US Postal Service in June 2014.

Interview Details – Setting up your profile on the usps.com website took quite a while and here's a tip: to copy and paste your resume or cover letter to the yellow boxes you have to use the control c and control v keys, as the clicking on copy/paste won't work. I learned that after about my 7th application for a position.

Then you take the 150 question "psyche test" to see if you answer similar questions the same(level of maturity???). If you "pass" this test (you'll never learn your score from this part of the exam), then you get invited to a commercial "staffing" agency to take the 473 Postal Exam. if all you want is part time work and no chance to promote to full time career, then you don't have to take these tests. I highly recommend that you spend the $30 on line and get the "JK Parnell" tutorial and take the 6 practice tests you get from his website and do this at least a week before your scheduled exam. Instead of being in an auditorium taking this exam with 200 other people(like I did 20 some years ago), the test is done on line now. It's faster answering questions with clicking the mouse, rather than the old way of using a test booklet and coloring in the circles on the answer sheet. USING THE OLD SCHOOL USPS EXAM STUDY GUIDE BOOKS AT THE LIBRARY IS A WASTE OF TIME!! They quit that system in like 2008. The Parnell tutorial also has great advise on how to budget you time during the memory portion of the test and tips for memorizing the address blocks. Guessing for answers will be penalized, so make sure of your answer or else leave it blank. I had my test results by the time I got home from the exam as they were sent via email. 80-90% of the test takers fail the exam because they weren't prepared for the speed and accuracy necessary to finish in time nor the familiarity with the testing procedure. You have to wait another 4 months to retake the test if you fail or want to improve your score. i did great on the memory and address checking part of the testing but the final score revealed that I didn't do well on the psyche part, but I still passed and after applying for any position within a 30 mile range of my house, I started getting interview invitations within a couple of weeks. Initially I was passed over by folks that had higher scores, but eventually I was hired once the others either accepted a position or declined. I accepted a Rural Carrier Assistant position, but there are city carrier asst., mail handler asst., and mail clerk asst. positions too. You need to have a clean driving record for the past 5 years to even get a chance at an interview. You will be fingerprinted for your background check and if you get a follow up email requesting you find a clinic to do the drug test, that's a pretty good sign they want to hire you. Each of the above 4 positions has it's pluses and minuses, it just depends on how badly you want to work for USPS. Hourly rate starts around $15/hr and gets to around $20 once you make full time.

Mail handlers- lots of overtime working nights or 3rd shift, 6 days a week and most holidays. You're on you feet all the time. The most physical of the jobs, especially if you are working the inbound and outbound docks.
Mail Clerk- you're sorting and casing mail and may be trained to work the counters with customers CSR skills a must!! You'll come in at like 4AM and work til the work is done(10/11AM), then clock out and return later in the afternoon for a few hours to make sure everything gets out the door.

The interview process was heavily laden with paperwork and don't be surprised if you are in a group of 5-10 folks for the paperwork part. At a couple of the interviews, they had you fill out a questionnaire so they didn't have to ask everyone the same questions over and over. Be honest and sincere in telling them what you bring to the Postal Service.

Interview Question – These would be the 4 positions you would be applying for;

City Carrier Asst. You won't be casing (sorting ) your own mail, just picking it up and subbing for Full time carriers needing time off. You'll be driving the White LLV's(long life vehicles) and will have driver training after orientation, as driving on the right hand side of the vehicle has it's challenges. I think the CCA's come in about 7 and need to be back in by 6, preferably earlier....CCA's do walk some or all of their routes, so good shoes and excellent fitness level will help. You will be carrying up to a 35# mail bag

Rural Carrier Asst. You most certainly be working every Saturday, and then covering for Full timers that want vacation or are sick. You case your own mail and will need your own vehicle with either a bench front seat (no console!!) or purchase a right hand drive vehicle or buy a conversion kit to convert like a mid 90'sJeep Cherokee to RHD). The plus is that you are paid a flat rate for your route based on how many stops you have to make and how many miles the route is. Even though most routes have over 500 stops each day, you are your own boss and need to be self sufficient. You are also reimbursed for vehicle wear and tear to the tune of like 71 cents a mile to cover gas, maintenance, and part of our loan payments if you purchase a vehicle. RCA's can end up with fewer work days than the other crafts, it just depends on the size of the office. They also have the most to learn to be efficient at their craft. None of the questions were hard, except explaining why I was terminated from my previous job. There's a fine line between "telling your side of the story" and bashing your former employer. When I filled out the "why were you fired" part, I put down something like "change in company focus towards employees" and then let them ask me to expand on that. Overall, the 6 or 7 interviews I had with the various postmasters and HR folks, were all very pleasant experiences. i never felt like I was "on the witness stand" with any of them. If there was a tough question, I guess it would've been,"If one supervisor tells you to do something and 10 minutes later another supervisor tells you to do something else, what do you do??
  View Answer

Negotiation Details – Hourly rate set by union contracts

Worked for US Postal Service? Contribute to the Community!