US Postal Service

332 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

PSE Mail Processing Clerk Interview

PSE Mail Processing Clerk

I applied online - interviewed at US Postal Service in April 2014.

Interview Details – I applied for the position online, I had already taken the exam for this position since this was my second time under consideration. I was contacted via email for my interview. Then received an email a few weeks later for pre-hire orientation. I passed the drug and background screening, but there were no opened positions. A few weeks later maybe two I received an email about some opening in my craft and was able to choose an location.

Interview Question – They were really standard questions about safety, time work, ensuring that I met the qualifications in the job description i.e. lifting up to 70lbs, working long periods of time, and etc   View Answer

Negotiation Details – The starting hourly rate wasn't negotiable but my location and tour was. I was able to choose the plant and tour I wanted to fit into my schedule.

Mail Processing Clerk Interview

Mail Processing Clerk
Hartford, CT

I applied through other source and interviewed at US Postal Service.

Interview Details – You need to take a preliminary test. You will receive a score and the applicants are called in by test score. Points are added to scores for veterans, 5 points for non active war vet, and 10 points for active war vet. US Postal Service is one of the major employers of veterans. If may take a while from the time you test to the time they actually call you in because the applicants are called in by score.

Interview Question – Questions are not too difficult. Just the basics. You are assessed on your ability to do the job. A City Letter Carrier can be a physically challenging job.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No salary negotiation. You are paid on a set scale. EVERYBODY hired gets the same amount. A very simple process. No interview penalties for asking about salary.

Data Collection Technician Interview

Data Collection Technician
Birmingham, AL

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at US Postal Service in July 2010.

Interview Details – Must have experience and knowledge using computers and are able to come in early hours in the wee morning. You have to fill out a 991 form to list all of your experience and all of your schools also. If you are able to type more that 50 words a minute, you will have a good shot at the job.

Interview Question – Is it easy to learn all the rules and instructions for the job of Data Collection Tech?   View Answer

Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at US Postal Service in May 2014.

Interview Details – The hiring process took about 2 weeks. The PM's that were present at the interview, were very pleasant and informative. The interview took 3 hours, they mainly explained the job to the group then they did one-on-one interviews, which lasted for about 15 minutes.

Interview Question – None, everything was pretty much common sense.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There is NO NEGOTIATION. $15.60/hr is the pay with no benefits and your temporary.

Everett, WA

I applied online and the process took 5 months - interviewed at US Postal Service in May 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online for multiple locations in January. Got an email to schedule the written postal exam 473, did it at a local testing center and passed above the required score for the position.
Waited for response but also looked elsewhere and ended up getting temporary office work. Received a phone call in the end of April to come in and interview at USPS headquarters. Following week I went in totally prepared. Multiple people were being interviewed at the time but I got a 1-1 and spent most of it filling out paperwork and in conversation. Then I had to go get a driving abstract so know that one is required for CCA. More paperwork with HR personnel, finger-printing and checked that my background check got submitted the day before via fax. I had not submitted my drug test yet but at the end, they said I was hired if I did pass it. The next week, well today, I got the email that I have been selected for the position and have orientation next week!

Interview Question – None really, I answered some questions about my experience but mostly listened to some information about what the position required and agreed that I could do everything.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiations, set pay rate and varied hours.

CCA Interview

CCA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at US Postal Service.

Interview Details – Interview was pretty easy. You were asked a few questions and then the manger put the mail bag on you to see if you could handle the weight.

Interview Question – Do you know your way around the Quad Cities   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Nashua, NH

I applied online - interviewed at US Postal Service in May 2014.

Interview Details – I took the postal exam on April 28, 2014. It was super easy. I passed with a score of 91.30 and got an email with the results within one hour of finishing the exam. I applies to 12-14 jobs including postal clerk, cca, rural carrier and casual. I was invited to interview for 3 locations in that same week as I took the exam (2-cca and 1-pse post office clerk). I was offered all three jobs and originally accepted two, 1- cca and 1-pse po clerk, however the postmaster just about guaranteed me that I will certainly get hours as a cca even though they were not suppose to because the position is originally planned to be for Sundays only as USPS has contracted with Amazon who wants their customers to receive packages on Sundays. So, needless to say, I declined the clerk position which is only on Saturdays. Overall, I had been invited to 9 out of 12 interviews and ALL of the 5 that I actually went to were informal. All except one was an one on one but even the one which I had two supervisors present was informal and actually the most easy going of all the interviews. Basically they tell you about the position, tell you how many days and hours they can safely say you can expect to work, ask if you have reliable transportation to be on time, then ask if you still want the position and if you do, they ask you to provide your social security number and sign in a few areas and the job is yours if you want it.

Interview Question – For the PSE Post Office Clerk position, I was only asked would I be able to handle operating the post office by myself and if a customer had ever injured themselves, how would I handle it?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There is not a negotiation phase. They offer you the position, you either accept it or not then move on to your next interviews.

Post Office CCA Interview

Post Office CCA
Denver, CO

I applied in-person - interviewed at US Postal Service in May 2014.

Interview Details – I applied at the usps site and applied for about 4 stations close to me, I got offered an interview at each one, it may have taken a while to get a call from each station but I DID get the call. I finally got a call to be a CCA. The process was long, but smooth. It took around two months to be where I am. I applied, waited, got an email to go in for an interview and there was around 40 other people applying for CCA's as well I assumed, and once I finally got my turn the lady was so sweet and she was telling me what the post office has to offer and how it's gone for her. She was probably in her late 50's and she was telling me her life has been very stable and she's been in the post office since she was 20. Anyways... After the interview you get emails to get a drug test and a background check. After you send in the drug test and background check it's another wait. I waited about a week, but then I got a call to return to the headquarters and I had already got accepted that very morning at another job with my cousin because frankly I was getting tired of waiting. (Funny how things happen huh?) well anyways, I returned and I saw one other lady who was there when I got interviewed, she was nice.. And they got our fingerprints and offered us a CCA position and WE got to choose the station we wanted! I thought that was awesome. And now here I am, 18 years old and in the post office. I start orientation this Monday and I've heard a lot of reviews about the job, I've visited the station already and honestly, ignore whatever anybody has to say and witness the thing yourself, that's how you'll find out wether it's for you or not.

Interview Question – What brings you to the post office?
What is your schedule?
Are you willing to work long hours?
Can you support lifting heavy objects?
Can you stand being on your feet a lot?
Do you get sick a lot?
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They offer you a position, you get to choose which station to work at, and they offer your pay rate and if you accept, you choose station, if not, you leave

Rural Route Carrier Interview

Rural Route Carrier

I interviewed at US Postal Service in April 2014.

Interview Details – Offered the job, but only 1 day every 2 weeks! Crazy! I figured getting a job with the postal service would be awesome, but not offering permanent jobs anymore and the reviews I've seen I'm not so sure anymore.

Interview Question – none   Answer Question

CITY LETTER CARRIER Interview

CITY LETTER CARRIER

I applied online and the process took a year or more - interviewed at US Postal Service.

Interview Details – It may be different now but when I signed up I had to sign up to take a test that gave you a score and the interviews and hiring was determined somewhat based on the score of the test, whole process took over a year between first applying for the test and actually getting an interview. The hiring took over a month after the interview.

Interview Question – The toughest part about getting hired would probably be keeping a clean driving record. I have one, and if you don't it might keep you from getting hired because driving is a large part of what a carrier does.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Nothing is negotiable, everything is based on set pay, unchangeable work hours (pretty much everything is at the management's discretion regarding work schedule) and if you're unable to work any day of the week that isn't sunday, you will pretty much exclude yourself from the hiring pool.