US Postal Service Interview Questions

2.0

PSE Clerk Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at US Postal Service.

If you actually receive a call back for an interview you have the job pending you pass a drug test. It was a long process and very drawn out. A lot of uncertainty when training will begin or when I would start.

Operations Industrial Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at US Postal Service.

Simple, waited about a month after I submitted application and had a phone interview. About 3 weeks later had an on site interview. Questions were intermediate and required some thought put into them.

City Carrier Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at US Postal Service in June 2014.

Applied online and was directed to take the Postal exam at a local college at my earliest convenience. The exam was not hard at all, mainly just being able to notice difference in address lines. The hardest part was the memory portion where they give you a few minutes to memorize a chart and then ask you questions based on the chart. After receiving my score, a few days later I was directed to conduct a drug screening. After this, i was given a packet of information paperwork and given my interview time via email. I showed up and the other candidates were pulled into a conference room and interviewed one on one with our own different interviewer. The interview was more of them describing the job in detail to me than a structured interview. I declined after thinking more about the position. No benefits for at least a year and it seems that this position is mostly on call, tho they say you will work at least 20 hours a week but when they call you, you have an hour to report or you're gone.

Interview Questions

No benefits, unsteady hours.

Mail Processing Clerk Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hartford, CT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hartford, CT

I applied through other source – interviewed at US Postal Service.

You need to take a preliminary test. You will receive a score and the applicants are called in by test score. Points are added to scores for veterans, 5 points for non active war vet, and 10 points for active war vet. US Postal Service is one of the major employers of veterans. If may take a while from the time you test to the time they actually call you in because the applicants are called in by score.

Interview Questions
    • Questions are not too difficult. Just the basics. You are assessed on your ability to do the job. A City Letter Carrier can be a physically challenging job.   View Answer
    No salary negotiation. You are paid on a set scale. EVERYBODY hired gets the same amount. A very simple process. No interview penalties for asking about salary.

Postmaster Relief Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at US Postal Service in June 2014.

My process was I applied on May 23 got a call June 5 to come in for an interview on the June 10, the interview was real east and the postmaster was nice. Next day received an email for drug test and background check. Completed that, now just waiting on my offer letter.

Interview Questions
    • If I call you an said I need you here at this time, how would I react?   Answer Question

Shipping Solutions Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at US Postal Service in June 2014.

First you must check the usps website for an opening and apply through the site. Part of the application process requires you to write answers to how your knowledge and skills make you the right person for the job.
    Then you sit back and wait about 3 weeks and hope you get a call for an interview .

Interview Questions
    • Can you tell us something trending with the competition   Answer Question
    • Was there a time were you got the business from a competitor when your prices were higher.   Answer Question
    • Tell us how would qualify a new call and how would you prepare to to get a meeting with them   Answer Question
    This is already established during the job listing process. There is a range. You need to send them proof of your previous salaries and they compare it to similar jobs in the region were you work. They normally average the salary.

Rca Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waterloo, IA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waterloo, IA

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at US Postal Service in June 2014.

Setting up your profile on the usps.com website took quite a while and here's a tip: to copy and paste your resume or cover letter to the yellow boxes you have to use the control c and control v keys, as the clicking on copy/paste won't work. I learned that after about my 7th application for a position.

Then you take the 150 question "psyche test" to see if you answer similar questions the same(level of maturity???). If you "pass" this test (you'll never learn your score from this part of the exam), then you get invited to a commercial "staffing" agency to take the 473 Postal Exam. if all you want is part time work and no chance to promote to full time career, then you don't have to take these tests. I highly recommend that you spend the $30 on line and get the "JK Parnell" tutorial and take the 6 practice tests you get from his website and do this at least a week before your scheduled exam. Instead of being in an auditorium taking this exam with 200 other people(like I did 20 some years ago), the test is done on line now. It's faster answering questions with clicking the mouse, rather than the old way of using a test booklet and coloring in the circles on the answer sheet. USING THE OLD SCHOOL USPS EXAM STUDY GUIDE BOOKS AT THE LIBRARY IS A WASTE OF TIME!! They quit that system in like 2008. The Parnell tutorial also has great advise on how to budget you time during the memory portion of the test and tips for memorizing the address blocks. Guessing for answers will be penalized, so make sure of your answer or else leave it blank. I had my test results by the time I got home from the exam as they were sent via email. 80-90% of the test takers fail the exam because they weren't prepared for the speed and accuracy necessary to finish in time nor the familiarity with the testing procedure. You have to wait another 4 months to retake the test if you fail or want to improve your score. i did great on the memory and address checking part of the testing but the final score revealed that I didn't do well on the psyche part, but I still passed and after applying for any position within a 30 mile range of my house, I started getting interview invitations within a couple of weeks. Initially I was passed over by folks that had higher scores, but eventually I was hired once the others either accepted a position or declined. I accepted a Rural Carrier Assistant position, but there are city carrier asst., mail handler asst., and mail clerk asst. positions too. You need to have a clean driving record for the past 5 years to even get a chance at an interview. You will be fingerprinted for your background check and if you get a follow up email requesting you find a clinic to do the drug test, that's a pretty good sign they want to hire you. Each of the above 4 positions has it's pluses and minuses, it just depends on how badly you want to work for USPS. Hourly rate starts around $15/hr and gets to around $20 once you make full time.

Mail handlers- lots of overtime working nights or 3rd shift, 6 days a week and most holidays. You're on you feet all the time. The most physical of the jobs, especially if you are working the inbound and outbound docks.
    Mail Clerk- you're sorting and casing mail and may be trained to work the counters with customers CSR skills a must!! You'll come in at like 4AM and work til the work is done(10/11AM), then clock out and return later in the afternoon for a few hours to make sure everything gets out the door.

The interview process was heavily laden with paperwork and don't be surprised if you are in a group of 5-10 folks for the paperwork part. At a couple of the interviews, they had you fill out a questionnaire so they didn't have to ask everyone the same questions over and over. Be honest and sincere in telling them what you bring to the Postal Service.

Interview Questions
    • These would be the 4 positions you would be applying for;

City Carrier Asst. You won't be casing (sorting ) your own mail, just picking it up and subbing for Full time carriers needing time off. You'll be driving the White LLV's(long life vehicles) and will have driver training after orientation, as driving on the right hand side of the vehicle has it's challenges. I think the CCA's come in about 7 and need to be back in by 6, preferably earlier....CCA's do walk some or all of their routes, so good shoes and excellent fitness level will help. You will be carrying up to a 35# mail bag

Rural Carrier Asst. You most certainly be working every Saturday, and then covering for Full timers that want vacation or are sick. You case your own mail and will need your own vehicle with either a bench front seat (no console!!) or purchase a right hand drive vehicle or buy a conversion kit to convert like a mid 90'sJeep Cherokee to RHD). The plus is that you are paid a flat rate for your route based on how many stops you have to make and how many miles the route is. Even though most routes have over 500 stops each day, you are your own boss and need to be self sufficient. You are also reimbursed for vehicle wear and tear to the tune of like 71 cents a mile to cover gas, maintenance, and part of our loan payments if you purchase a vehicle. RCA's can end up with fewer work days than the other crafts, it just depends on the size of the office. They also have the most to learn to be efficient at their craft. None of the questions were hard, except explaining why I was terminated from my previous job. There's a fine line between "telling your side of the story" and bashing your former employer. When I filled out the "why were you fired" part, I put down something like "change in company focus towards employees" and then let them ask me to expand on that. Overall, the 6 or 7 interviews I had with the various postmasters and HR folks, were all very pleasant experiences. i never felt like I was "on the witness stand" with any of them. If there was a tough question, I guess it would've been,"If one supervisor tells you to do something and 10 minutes later another supervisor tells you to do something else, what do you do??
        View Answer
    Hourly rate set by union contracts

City Carrier Assistant I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tulsa, OK
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tulsa, OK

The first thing i did was filled out an application on USPS career website. followed by two test. one week letter i was invited to attend a group interview immediately following a personal interview. arrive early so you will get in and out. the total interview took approximately 1.5 hours. majority of the interview different managers tell you about their experience as a postal worker. after the interview one week later, i was invited by email to fill out an electronic background check and take a drug screening. one week after that i received a letter of processing/ job offer.

Interview Questions
    • have you ever delivered anything before?   View Answer
    the postal workers never discussed wages with me

City Carrier Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Buena Park, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Buena Park, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at US Postal Service in June 2014.

Did the application, did the exam last year so didn t have to redo if I didn't want to, interview starts off as a group and someone explains the job, after that you are interviewed one on one, they let you know at the end of the interview if they recommend you or not if you are youll receive a packet with w 2 forms and a date when to go back and turn it in

Interview Questions
    • Are you scared of dogs? What would you do if someone is mad and get in your face? Can u lift and carry 35lbs? Do you exercise? How many times were you absent in previous job? Can you come in if called in at 6 a.m.?   Answer Question
    No starts out as 15.30/hr

Rural Carrier Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Augustine, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Augustine, FL

I applied online – interviewed at US Postal Service in June 2014.

They will tell you you need to use your own vehicle, but unless your vehicle has right hand drive, and plenty of room for all the packages and mail, your wasting your time.

Interview Questions
    • None of the questions were unexpected.   View Answer
    There wasn't any negotiation.