US Postal Service

Updated Jul 9, 2014

Average Difficulty
6 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions

Mail Handler

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at US Postal Service in August 2010.

Interview Details – Go on line to find locations as to where the USPS is hiring "helpers" and apply. Make absolutely sure you are on the USPS website! In the past Postal Examinations were given every 6 months to the public, today only "helpers"/casuals are eligible to take the test after a certain time frame. Must pass Postal Examination. Will get notified of score via mail. Make sure you keep your address updated as you will be notified via mail once a position has opened according to your score.

Interview Question – During written exam some questions are tricky - get the USPS test book at the library; DO NOT pay an organization which claims to insure hiring via the USPS, they're frauds. Also 1 test will be included in your testing appointment.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There's not negotiation, you will either be hired or not. USPS will put you on a schedule as they deem needed, not what you need.

Cincinnati, OH

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at US Postal Service in June 2008.

Interview Details – was a joke, I took all my paperwork including my degree and the woman didn't even look at me. just asked some questions and that was it.

Negotiation Details – no negotiation...salary is already in place.

Woburn, MA

I applied in-person and interviewed at US Postal Service.

Interview Details – Be able to read and write and follow directions on a written test

Interview Question – There are no difficult questions asked..test based grades determine order for hiring   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Brooklyn, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at US Postal Service.

Interview Details – No real interview. As long as you pass the entry level exam, medical evaluation and don't have a criminal record you're hired. After the pre-screening process, training last about a month.

Coppell, TX

I applied in-person - interviewed at US Postal Service in September 2009.

Interview Details – You are hired from a register after taking the postal exam. Basically if you are physically able and do not have felony record, your chance of being hired is great. They have changed now that you can only be hired as a temporary. No more walk in career jobs.

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. Salary is negotiated by union. Everyone title makes the exact amount regardless of past experience.

Phoenix, AZ

I applied in-person and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at US Postal Service in January 2008.

Interview Details – You must first take a test that gives you a score from 1-100. You get extra points for being a veteran. If you score well (over 85) you will typically get a call back to come in as a group of 20-60 people. They then whittle it down based on scores and only interviews people that are called back.

Interview Question – Are you allergic to anything?   View Answer

Worked for US Postal Service? Contribute to the Community!