US Postal Service

Average Difficulty
11 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Waterloo, IA

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at US Postal Service in June 2014.

Interview Details – Setting up your profile on the usps.com website took quite a while and here's a tip: to copy and paste your resume or cover letter to the yellow boxes you have to use the control c and control v keys, as the clicking on copy/paste won't work. I learned that after about my 7th application for a position.

Then you take the 150 question "psyche test" to see if you answer similar questions the same(level of maturity???). If you "pass" this test (you'll never learn your score from this part of the exam), then you get invited to a commercial "staffing" agency to take the 473 Postal Exam. if all you want is part time work and no chance to promote to full time career, then you don't have to take these tests. I highly recommend that you spend the $30 on line and get the "JK Parnell" tutorial and take the 6 practice tests you get from his website and do this at least a week before your scheduled exam. Instead of being in an auditorium taking this exam with 200 other people(like I did 20 some years ago), the test is done on line now. It's faster answering questions with clicking the mouse, rather than the old way of using a test booklet and coloring in the circles on the answer sheet. USING THE OLD SCHOOL USPS EXAM STUDY GUIDE BOOKS AT THE LIBRARY IS A WASTE OF TIME!! They quit that system in like 2008. The Parnell tutorial also has great advise on how to budget you time during the memory portion of the test and tips for memorizing the address blocks. Guessing for answers will be penalized, so make sure of your answer or else leave it blank. I had my test results by the time I got home from the exam as they were sent via email. 80-90% of the test takers fail the exam because they weren't prepared for the speed and accuracy necessary to finish in time nor the familiarity with the testing procedure. You have to wait another 4 months to retake the test if you fail or want to improve your score. i did great on the memory and address checking part of the testing but the final score revealed that I didn't do well on the psyche part, but I still passed and after applying for any position within a 30 mile range of my house, I started getting interview invitations within a couple of weeks. Initially I was passed over by folks that had higher scores, but eventually I was hired once the others either accepted a position or declined. I accepted a Rural Carrier Assistant position, but there are city carrier asst., mail handler asst., and mail clerk asst. positions too. You need to have a clean driving record for the past 5 years to even get a chance at an interview. You will be fingerprinted for your background check and if you get a follow up email requesting you find a clinic to do the drug test, that's a pretty good sign they want to hire you. Each of the above 4 positions has it's pluses and minuses, it just depends on how badly you want to work for USPS. Hourly rate starts around $15/hr and gets to around $20 once you make full time.

Mail handlers- lots of overtime working nights or 3rd shift, 6 days a week and most holidays. You're on you feet all the time. The most physical of the jobs, especially if you are working the inbound and outbound docks.
Mail Clerk- you're sorting and casing mail and may be trained to work the counters with customers CSR skills a must!! You'll come in at like 4AM and work til the work is done(10/11AM), then clock out and return later in the afternoon for a few hours to make sure everything gets out the door.

The interview process was heavily laden with paperwork and don't be surprised if you are in a group of 5-10 folks for the paperwork part. At a couple of the interviews, they had you fill out a questionnaire so they didn't have to ask everyone the same questions over and over. Be honest and sincere in telling them what you bring to the Postal Service.

Interview Question – These would be the 4 positions you would be applying for;

City Carrier Asst. You won't be casing (sorting ) your own mail, just picking it up and subbing for Full time carriers needing time off. You'll be driving the White LLV's(long life vehicles) and will have driver training after orientation, as driving on the right hand side of the vehicle has it's challenges. I think the CCA's come in about 7 and need to be back in by 6, preferably earlier....CCA's do walk some or all of their routes, so good shoes and excellent fitness level will help. You will be carrying up to a 35# mail bag

Rural Carrier Asst. You most certainly be working every Saturday, and then covering for Full timers that want vacation or are sick. You case your own mail and will need your own vehicle with either a bench front seat (no console!!) or purchase a right hand drive vehicle or buy a conversion kit to convert like a mid 90'sJeep Cherokee to RHD). The plus is that you are paid a flat rate for your route based on how many stops you have to make and how many miles the route is. Even though most routes have over 500 stops each day, you are your own boss and need to be self sufficient. You are also reimbursed for vehicle wear and tear to the tune of like 71 cents a mile to cover gas, maintenance, and part of our loan payments if you purchase a vehicle. RCA's can end up with fewer work days than the other crafts, it just depends on the size of the office. They also have the most to learn to be efficient at their craft. None of the questions were hard, except explaining why I was terminated from my previous job. There's a fine line between "telling your side of the story" and bashing your former employer. When I filled out the "why were you fired" part, I put down something like "change in company focus towards employees" and then let them ask me to expand on that. Overall, the 6 or 7 interviews I had with the various postmasters and HR folks, were all very pleasant experiences. i never felt like I was "on the witness stand" with any of them. If there was a tough question, I guess it would've been,"If one supervisor tells you to do something and 10 minutes later another supervisor tells you to do something else, what do you do??
  View Answer

Negotiation Details – Hourly rate set by union contracts

Rca

I applied in-person and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at US Postal Service.

Interview Details – Career profile to usps site - apply on line - receive a mail to take 473 test - if test is more than 70% you get a mail for interview - if interview result is recommended than another mail for drug and background test and than if everything is ok then you return to the post office for paperwork review and then you are waiting next mail for 2 days orientation.I am there for the moment!!!

Interview Question – Interview is friendly,nothing unexpected.Most like a description of the job.Yoy have to be polite and honest.   Answer Question

Tarpon Springs, FL

I applied through other source and the process took 4 months - interviewed at US Postal Service in April 2009.

Interview Details – The testing was easy enough and I thought the interview process was very comfortable and laid back.

Interview Question – None that I remember   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None

Phoenix, AZ

I applied online - interviewed at US Postal Service in May 2009.

Interview Details – Must pass a written exam. Then interviewed by local PO

Interview Question – Don't recall any   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Be willing to work any time with hyours of notice

Rca

I applied through other source - interviewed at US Postal Service in March 2009.

Interview Details – The interview consisted of 2 interviewers. It was a very informative interview. The interviewers were very helpful and well mannered.

Interview Question – I wasn't asked any difficult or unexpected questions at the interview.   Answer Question

Saint Louis, MO

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at US Postal Service in March 2010.

Interview Details – Most be available 24/7

Interview Question – There is no difficult questions.   Answer Question

Rochester, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at US Postal Service in March 2012.

Interview Details – Takea about 2 months. The test is the start and then if you score well enough you can get an interview. They interview their top 3 and make their selection. There is some background work you need to do along with a physical and drug screen.

Interview Question – Nothing difficult, you just need to be available at the last minute if they need you. If you tell them you cant then they will not be likely to hire you. They typically will call you the night before when it happens but you just need to be ready.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There is no negotiating with them.

Very Easy Interview

Tulsa, OK

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at US Postal Service in March 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online 2 months ago, had an interview today, recieved email for drug screen and background, and now I am waiting. During this time I took an online personality test, then went for a proctored exam. I was waiting quite a while before I was given an email out of the blue to interview.

Interview Question – Are you prepared to work 6 days a week?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Bradenton, FL

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at US Postal Service in January 2011.

Interview Details – Very long drawn out process. First applied online, got an invitation to take a personality test, then a test at a testing facility (closest to my home was 1hr away), scored 84.5 on the test got a call for a 1:1 interview.
The interview was a waste of my time. I wasn't really asked any questions, the manager just talked about how little work I could possibly get and talked about himself and the local office.
The test is easy, memory of addresses and forms to complete.
After the interview I was told that I would be marked as "highly recommended" then I got an email for orientation about 1 month afterwards. No communication between the interview and the time I got the email. I did get called for the three offices I applied at and was able to choose between two, chose the bad one unfortunately.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. The union has a contract with rates. No benefits at all for RCA's.

Rca

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at US Postal Service.

Interview Details – Apply online. Take computer tests somewhere. Wait months for a reply. Go to in-person interview.

Interview Question – Can't remember the interview questions. It was fairly easy though.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There is no negotiating

Worked for US Postal Service? Contribute to the Community!