US Postal Service

Getting the Interview

24 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Rural Carrier Associate Interview

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at US Postal Service in March 2014.

Interview Details – Began in February - applied online and took personality test, received notification to go to testing site, took test, received score within an hour (note online that status changed from application entry to hiring list), received email for interview, interview was a panel interview with 3 postmasters from different locations(one stated she was the certified interviewer, the other 2 were each from a different post office and were looking to hire an RCA, take your drivers license with you they will need a photo copy, they basically asked the same questions they did on your application (driving record, felonies, etc) what they did was dated and initialed your original responses so they had an updated record in case anything transpired between the time you applied and the interview, then they asked basic questions such as - how would you handle an irate customer, why do you want to work for the po, and why should we select you for the position, they told me to watch my email for 2 different emails, one email would be the drug test and the other email would be the background/driving record check, completed the drug test the next day (fyi...places are open on the weekends) and signed and faxed my background check paperwork. It has been 3 weeks and I still have not heard anything yet. Although, the post master did say I was selected. I emailed and asked. So, I guess we are just waiting for all the backlgrounds to get done.

Interview Question – Very relaxed and informal interview. Completely different than corporate company interviews. Just be yourself and relax. I studied and it was not necessary.   Answer Question

Pittsburgh, PA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at US Postal Service.

Interview Details – Process took 2 months (Jan 2 to March 5) from start to job offer. Process was as follows:

1.)Go Online to USPS.com and fill out an application

2.) Take USPS Personality Assessment Profile - No right or wrong, but with all other behavioral test - always answer at the extreme ends (Strongly Agree/Disagree) with the correct respond (Example: I think it is appropriate to steal when I am mad at my job...)as it will move you into a top tier

3.) Pending on how you answer the Personality Test, you will be automatically invited to take a battery test (473). This is a proctor test that you take off-site. It will test you on things such as basic understanding of directions, memorization, etc. - DO NOT GET FOOL INTO BUYING STUDYING GUIDES AS THE TEST IS COMMON SENSE - The only hard part is the memorization portion, but the trick is to take the time in practice portion to memorize the chart as it same as the actual test chart. You will be emailed your test results. Higher test results = greater chance of getting an interview. Test is rated out of 100, with 15 of those points given to veteran and military status. A passing score is 70, but you want to shoot in the 80s for a greater chance to get invite to interview

4.) The postmaster will schedule an interview with the candidates who got the top scores, usually interviewing the top score first and moving down. First one to take the position gets it.

5.) Go to interview, they read off basic questions that related to things such as team building, work ethic, etc. They are very basic questions. Really, the interview is more to see how you will fit within the particular post office.

6.) You will receive an email to do a drug test and background check and driving record.

7.) Passing them, you get an offer letter and then have to go to orientation, then once you pass a driving test, you are good to go!

Note: There could be week(s) delay between each step. So be prepared. Best Chance to Get This or Any Job at USPS: Apply to as many open positions and score as high as possible on the battery test - Out of the 10 positions I applied for, I got put on the hiring list for 8 because I had a score of 84.9.

Interview Question – What to do if you are approached by an angry customer? / What to do when an co-workers request your help? / How to handle change in your daily routine?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No Negotiation - This is Non Career, meaning that you hired for one year and they will continue to rehire you as long as you dont mess up.

Rural Carrier Associate

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at US Postal Service in February 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online, via USPS employment site. Built my profile, chose stations near me, and sent my profile to them. Had to take a personality test online, and then scheduled a test at a facility. You can't really study for the test, but there is a lot of memorization involved. Once I had completed the test, I waited for a couple weeks and got an email from one of the stations (my second choice) inviting me to schedule an interview. I called the number provided and sent an email to the email provided, and never heard anything back. About a week later, I got an email from the station closest to me. Again, I called the number and this time was told the postmaster was on vacation, and they would let him know I called. I sent an email just in case. I called the day after he got back from the date I was told he would be back from vacation, since I hadn't heard anything, and he told me he was very busy. I was a little perplexed why these invites were going out if no one was actually going to set up a time with me. After a couple weeks went by, I kept looking for other work because my experience with USPS had been frustrating, and after reading about the position, it sounded like I might only be working 1 day a week, plus anytime someone decided to call out sick. I think about three weeks since I got the original email, I got a call out of the blue from the postmaster. He asked if I had been interviewed for the position...again this was raising all kinds of red flags in my mind. He asked me to come in for an interview an hour from the time he called. I went (luckily I wasn't busy) and I waited a while, as the post office was extremely busy. Finally he brought me into his office and asked me to tell him about myself. After giving him a little spiel he asked me about jobs I've had; really basic stuff. He then explained the job to me, how I would work every Saturday, and whenever a carrier went on vacation or needed sick time. He told me that sometimes I would get very few hours, while at other times it would be a full-time job. He asked me if that sounded like something I could do and he proceeded to offer me the job. He talked at great length after that about advancement, and his own story. Training was scheduled for two weeks after my interview. Since then, there has been bad communication, I was not told about all the paperwork I would need, or that my out-of-state license would not be accepted. I start training soon and I have already put a lot of money into a job (traveling over 200 miles total, getting a new license) that could be only 1 day a week. I am hoping that they will be able to tell me when I work a reasonable amount of time beforehand so that I can get a second job.

Interview Question – Tell me about yourself.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. Good pay, no guarantee on hours. Amount of hours is determined every so often, and you are paid for that many hours. If you finish it faster, you get to go home; slower, you aren't getting paid extra.

Wayne, PA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at US Postal Service in January 2014.

Interview Details – A friend of mines who work at the post office, posted a hiring ad. Immediately went and filled out for the position. Once online you take the online test and if you pass the online test, you are able to schedule a actual post office test. You have to past this test with at least a 75% .in order to be called in for a interview. Test was easy to me but some people say that the test is hard. If you focus shouldnt be hard. At the interview its about 20 people and you sitting in a room where there interviewer talks and goes through the paperwork. Then you go into one on one interview

Interview Question – None, asked if I was capable of adjusting to the extremely cold and hot weather!   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None, I asked for none. Starting at 15.87 at the age of 21 was enough for me

Tampa, FL

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at US Postal Service in August 2013.

Interview Details – Exam and interview

Interview Question – Wait for 2 weeks for exam, 2 weeks for interview, 2 weeks for drug test and records, 2 weeks for orientation, 2 weeks for academy training, and 2 weeks for driving course, and the training and showing from the facility you work. Then the fun really starts when you are on evaluation paid not the hourly.

My suggestion is get to know and understand your job requirement and how employee truly feel about their job. Landing the job is cake, but the actual reality is the job kicked my butt big time. I see old ladies ran circle on me. The job is hard and it does take a long waiting period to get paid. So find out if this is what you want first before you spend long period of unpaid time and exhaustion. Good luck with whatever choice you made.
  View Answers (2)

Negotiation Details – Set paid, everyone starts the same paid

Lawrenceville, GA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at US Postal Service in July 2013.

Interview Details – Hiring and Interview Process

1. Filled out application on USPS.com
2. Received an email request to take a postal exam to rate qualifications
3. After receiving acceptable scores on the exam another email was sent requesting an interview.
4. After answering a few short questions within the interview I was then asked to take a drug test in a later email
5. After passing the drug test, an orientation followed which was for about three days.
6. After orientation a driving test is taken within a postal service vehicle. One must pass the driving test before they are able to start.
7. Lastly, after passing the driver test one will have to attend a short course on how to properly sort mail before they begin.

Interview Question – Describe a situation when you were in a verbal argument with a co-worker and how you chose to respond.   Answer Question

Rural Carrier Associate

I applied in-person and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at US Postal Service.

Interview Details – Easy process, took the test waited for results got the call from the local office, interviewed with postmaster and was hired within 3 days of interview.
interview was simple straight-forward and quick.

Interview Question – I can`t say that there were any difficult or unexpected questions.
Just be honest and let your personality show through, high energy and willingness to work are good qualities.
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Rural Carrier Associate

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at US Postal Service in April 2013.

Interview Details – The hiring process went a lot faster than expected. I applied online and had to take a civil service exam before I would be considered for the position. I passed the test with flying colors and a couple weeks later I was called to set up an in person interview. After the fairly informal interview process during which the manager was already speaking as if I already had the position I was told it would be around 3 weeks before I would hear back from their central office as to whether I was selected. Apparently the manager you interview with only makes a hiring recommendation and then the central office makes the final decision. It was only about a week and a half and I received a call that they were offering me the position.

Interview Question – This was a pretty easy interview actually. I can't recall any questions being particularly difficult.   Answer Question

Fayetteville, NC

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at US Postal Service in July 2013.

Interview Details – Filled out an a application on the USPS.com website, set up a time and place to go and take the postal assessment test, went and did the testt, got an email that said I had an inter view already set up. when I went to the interview there were 17 other candidates that were in the room. They did not ask any questions. They just had a copy of my application that they read. Alfter I went home I waited a few days and they sent me an email saying that I needed to set up a time and place in that area to go and take a drug test. I went and did the drug test and waited a few days and they sent me an email telling me to go do orientation.

Interview Question – No questions were asked to anyone   Answer Question

Stillwater, MN

I applied in-person - interviewed at US Postal Service in November 2009.

Interview Details – Took hiring test, was called in 5 months later for interview & hired on the spot, although the subsequent training took several months and the job didn't actually begin until 5 months after I was hired

Interview Question – all questions are difficult   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Work one year on "probation" and after successfully completing the year you would be hired full time and have access to union protection and benefits. They don't tell you that you are set up for failure, they use you mercilessly for that first year, and right before the year is up, you are given notice you will not be hired. I was just one of many before me who experienced the same treatment on this same route.

Interviews for Top Jobs at US Postal Service

Worked for US Postal Service? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at US Postal Service Rural Carrier Associate interview questions and advice. All 24 interview reviews posted anonymously by US Postal Service employees and interview candidates.