USA Today

Relevance Date Difficulty

National Accounts Director Interview

National Accounts Director
McLean, VA

I applied through other source and the process took 3 months - interviewed at USA Today in November 2012.

Interview Details – My interview process took approximately three months from the initial online application to the job offer. There was a phone interview, then an in-person interview with the direct manager, followed by a panel interview that included role playing a presentation for a client. I probably wouldn't have been given an interview if I hadn't contacted the manager directly.

Interview Question – I'm afraid I don't remember the most difficult or unexpected question; however I had less than 24 hours to prepare my presentation for the final round interview.   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Analyst
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at USA Today in February 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online then messaged my boss via LinkedIn and was able to set up a meeting. Only got the interview because I reached out to him that way. Had two interviews (boss and colleague) and then waited for a few weeks before hearing back. The whole process from application to acceptance took over two months.

Interview Question – Explain some previous work samples that I brought with me in great detail. Wouldn't have thought he would dive so deeply into my work.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I did not negotiate

Analyst Interview

Analyst

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at USA Today in February 2013.

Interview Details – Phone call with HR/Recruiter, then onto interviewing with direct Manager then Director of department. Offer the position within 24 hours.

Interview Question – None, pretty much standard garden variety...i.e." Tell us a time when you saw an error in procedure, and what did you do to improve that procedure"   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotiation - this was an entry level position

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Marketing Interview

Marketing
McLean, VA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at USA Today.

Interview Details – It took about 2 weeks. A lot of email communication. I talked to them then was invited to interview with other people. It was difficult to talk to some people who kept asking the same question, clearly didn't like my response even though most managers like the answer.

They called all of my references and said I was in the running. They did tell me I did not get the position which was a positive.

Interview Question – How would I work around delays for the client   Answer Question

Sales for Travel Division Interview

Sales for Travel Division
Los Angeles, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at USA Today in May 2012.

Interview Details – Typical interview- no surprises

Interview Question – How would you deal with internal silos and building teamwork?   Answer Question

Advertising Interview

Advertising
McLean, VA

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at USA Today in September 2011.

Interview Details – My interview experience at USA Today was overall pretty good. I was not offered the position in the end. I interviewed with two people at the same time. The interview was behavioral based. I was asked the generic interview questions such as biggest weakness, what do I know about USA Today, what my greatest strengths are. The people who interviewed me spent a lot of time with me, which was nice since I traveled out of town to be there.

Business Analyst Interview

Business Analyst
McLean, VA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at USA Today in February 2011.

Interview Details – I had applied for a position a few months back, and randomly I got an email from a HR rep asking what my salary expectations were and whether i was interested in the position. Later I had a more formal conversation with HR, they asked a lot of behavioral and situational questions. Wasn't expecting the interview to be long, but it was well over 1 hour 30 min. A few weeks later i went for the department interview, was asked about my experience and overall fit in the company. Again they had planned out a series of questions beforehand but it ended up being more of a conversation. Both people I interviewed with were great and I had a great experience.

Graphic Designer Interview

Graphic Designer
McLean, VA

The process took a day - interviewed at USA Today in November 2010.

Interview Details – There was a first call from an HR person who asked pretty general questions. About 3 weeks later I was asked to come for an interview in front of marketing management. When I was there the HR person asked same questions as on the phone interview, which was little odd.
The presentation was about an hour, mostly focusing on generic behavioral questions like "What are you looking in a boss," I was pretty engaging, I felt very comfortable, the team showed work and the kind of work they are looking for. I though I could fit right in. Unfortunately they didn't even bothered to contact me and give me feedback on the status. I've tried contacting twice but did not hear anything at all.

Interview Question – What are you looking in a boss?   Answer Question

Manager Interview

Manager
McLean, VA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at USA Today in January 2010.

Interview Details – USAT relies on behavioral interviews and a defined question set. All involved were actually open, friendly, generally positive. Unfortunately ,USAT uses the rude practice of never following up, adopting the practice of avoidance and "eventually they'll get the message," which is weird for a communicaitons company. Zero recontact after multiple interviews, despite specific efforts to follow up by job seeker with letter, email and voicemail to HR. A simple "thanks but we've decided to go with another candidate" is an expected courtesy from any job applicant.
Bad form, USA Today

Interview Question – Uses behavioral interviews. Quesitons were all experiential, based on specific situations and how you handled them in the past. "Tell me about a time when you..."   View Answer

Help Desk Analyst Interview

Help Desk Analyst
McLean, VA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 days - interviewed at USA Today in August 2008.

Interview Details – First it was a screening interview from a recruiter. Then a phone call from hiring manager. Then inhouse applcation fillout, interview with manager again, then team lead, then director, then Vice President. Then, I received an offer two days later.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – No negotiations. Research what is average. They will try to lowball you.

Worked for USA Today? Contribute to the Community!