USAA

Getting the Interview

10 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Colorado Springs, CO

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at USAA in February 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online and it took about 2 weeks before I heard back. I was then emailed and instructed to complete a few assessments online, the typical questionnaires and tests. A few days later I was emailed to schedule a phone interview. Immediately after my phone interview I was offered a in person interview at the local campus with the HR manager. The interview with the manager was about 30 mins long. Questions were geared towards past work experience and how you would be able to fit this job. Shortly after the manager interview I was emailed yet again and asked to go and complete a drug screen as well as give permission for them to run a through background check. It took another 2 weeks before I heard back and was offered the position. This was a very professional interview process, just very thorough!!

Interview Question – All the questions were as expected just be up to date with your resume and how your past experience can relate to the position you are applying for   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Unfortunately had to decline because the week following my last interview we were informed my husband was deploying and you are asked not to take any leave for the first 6 weeks of training.

Phoenix, AZ

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at USAA in January 2011.

Interview Details – Phone interview and face to face met with 2 managers both asking questions

Phoenix, AZ

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at USAA in June 2009.

Interview Details – The hiring process is actually trivial. They already know your qualifications so the process is to determine if you fit in. Be very professional (no joking), very polite, and ask for the job.

Interview Question – Tell me when you had to fire someone and why.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There wasn't any.

Phoenix, AZ

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at USAA in January 2008.

Interview Details – Applied online. Recruiter called to question my experiences and set up interview. Panel of two taking turns asking about 3 financial call scenario questions each. Asked me to join and then was taken on tour and briefed on culture as well as benefits packages. Background check was pretty thorough and very specific.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – an additional $3K

Dallas, TX

The process took 3 days - interviewed at USAA in February 2011.

Interview Details – interview process was very detailed and organized. the panel interview can be a little uncomfortable. they try to put you on the spot. you ill need to have examples of f specific situations that relate to the questions they ask.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – there isn't one. they just make a offer

Phoenix, AZ

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at USAA in August 2010.

Interview Details – Very simple phone interview lasted about an hour. Then a face-to-face interview that lasted about an hour.

It is very important to go in with a focus to serve the military and how important it is. Remember this is also and insurance company. At the end of the interview they will ask to you sell them an item. Resolve the doubt and then re-recommend the product to the person.

Interview Question – Sell me a cell phone   View Answer

Negotiation Details – None

San Antonio, TX

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at USAA in October 2010.

Interview Details – I applied on-line at the end of Sept. and got called for an phone interview at the end of October, on a Monday. That went well and they immediately scheduled the drug/background test and a 1:1 interview on site with the hiring manager that same Friday. A few days ago my status on the website has now changed from 'interview in progress" to "cleared interview." I presume nowt they are just waiting for the background check to clear and then hopefully an offer.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in 5 years?   Answer Question
  • Tell me about a time you had to convert a client with a negative experience into a positive one? (or something to that effect)   Answer Question

San Antonio, TX

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at USAA in August 2009.

Interview Details – Position was for Financial Advisor. Process was easy. Didn't understand why all sorts of stuff was required prior to the first Face to Face interview: Drug Test, Background Check, Financials ETC. This usually happen after the first interview at other companies. Seems like there is going to be a lot of change soon. They are going to expand their available market, thus sales shoul increase along with job growth. Wonderful facilities, benefits bonuses, and 401K matching. Just wondering how well a 10 yr experienced financial guy will be accepted.

Interview Question – Asked to overcome different objections that I may receive form members. Having to explain some of it via phone and not in person with the client   Answer Question

Interviewed at USAA

Interview Details – Very basic phone interview with HR person and then offered to fly me out for the face to face. Two managers, pretty straight forward.

Interview Question – One of the hiring managers took his cell phone out of his pocket and asked me to sell it to him right there.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Financial Advisor

The process took a day - interviewed at USAA in February 2010.

Interview Details – After applying, I was e-mailed 2 tests (1 behavioral and 1 math / skills) - 24 hrs. to complete and a very thorough online application which required me to provide my social security number and driver's license number in addition to everything else. Included in the application is a "release" which releases usaa from any liability in connection with all of the private info you are providing. I was very uncomfortable providing and almost decided not to go forward, but eventually after 2 calls from their HR person I did. After completing I received an e-mail requesting to schedule a phone interview. The phone interview was basic and provided me with info about the company and position.
Next was the face-to-face interview- 2 wealth mgrs. 1 hour. Predominately behavioral questions and questions about previous jobs and strengths and weaknesses. At one point I was given an object and told to sell it to them. Overall, they were pretty friendly and very upfront about the challenges of the position.

Interview Question – Sell me this object.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at USAA

Worked for USAA? Contribute to the Community!

USAA Videos

USAA – Why Work for Us?

USAA's Mission The mission of the association is to facilitate the financial security of its members, associates, and their families through provision of a full range of highly competitive financial products and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at USAA Financial Advisor interview questions and advice. All 10 interview reviews posted anonymously by USAA employees and interview candidates.