USAA Financial Advisor Interview Questions

2.8

Financial Advisor Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at USAA.

Interview

The interview was very fast paced and after a quick "get to know you" segment, a duo of managers will ask you how you'd overcome objections and build value for someone whom doesn't quite want to buy a product from you. They'll even do a brief role play scenario where you'll have to sell them a cell phone (what I got personally, but I've heard of people having to sell pens). Basically they just want to see how you can perform on the spot and overcome the objections provided. It's all about understanding what they need and are looking for. Really plays well into the actual job too. USAA is very member-centric and while there are sales numbers you're expected to meet (but not fired if you don't), they'll never pressure you to push something unsuitable.

Interview Questions

• When was a time you've had to stand up to your manager or overseeing body?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Did not have much room to negotiate due to my lack of financial background as compared to other applicants who had 5-10 years.

Other Interview Reviews for USAA

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at USAA (San Antonio, TX) in December 2013.

Interview

Apply on line. If they are interested they will send you an email to take a basic skills test. If I remember leaning toward some financial questions. Second I got a call to set up a telephone interview. The phone interview wasn't to difficult, I think it was more of a screening process. Then came drug testing and background check. The group panel was a little weird, because one of them is typing while you are answering a interview question. It can disrupt your train of thought if you are not focused.

Interview Questions

• How did you handle something difficult you encountered in your previous job   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at USAA (Dallas, TX).

Interview

The process is pretty straight forward. I didn't the online application first, several days later received an email about the online assessment test. The test was pretty common sense, some basic math questions and logic questions. Make sure you are in a quiet place when you take the assessment, there are some audio questions at the end. The idea is to mimic the condition you will be in later on, answering client calls and help them with their particular needs. I don't think you can really prepare for that, just pay attention to callers name and account number, they only say it once. About couple days later, I got an email for phone interview. And the process was simple, basically just going through your pervious jobs, education and background. At this point they haven't ask any financial questions yet, they are just trying to get some idea about personal characters. I feel like they pay a lot attention on your voice and tone, it makes sense because all the business will be conduct over the phone later on. At the end, they actually scheduled the face to face interview with me. The face to face interview is more formal. There are two people, one is from HR department, one is the hiring manager. They actually will type in all your answers in the computer, which made it a little comfortable for me, but not a big deal if you are not focusing on the typing noises. Very typical interview questions they will ask, strengths, weaknesses, previous boss comments, very typical. There will be couple scenarios, but not role play. They will give you clients information and ask what questions would you ask them, what products they need. Just be slow, don't rush the answers, they understand you need some time to think about it. Yes, make sure bring a pen and notebook. First it makes you look more professional and prepared, second, you can put down scenario information. I did got an offer several days later, but I just couldn't late hours and Saturdays. They are open about it, when you first get in, you will get those not so favorable shifts. This process is relatively pleasant and I do think it's a comfortable place for advisor who doesn't want to network and build their own business. Bottom line, all the clients are not attached to advisors at all, they are companies clients, and you get a salary for your work.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Colorado Springs, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at USAA (Colorado Springs, CO) in February 2013.

Interview

I applied online and it took about 2 weeks before I heard back. I was then emailed and instructed to complete a few assessments online, the typical questionnaires and tests. A few days later I was emailed to schedule a phone interview. Immediately after my phone interview I was offered a in person interview at the local campus with the HR manager. The interview with the manager was about 30 mins long. Questions were geared towards past work experience and how you would be able to fit this job. Shortly after the manager interview I was emailed yet again and asked to go and complete a drug screen as well as give permission for them to run a through background check. It took another 2 weeks before I heard back and was offered the position. This was a very professional interview process, just very thorough!!

Interview Questions

• All the questions were as expected just be up to date with your resume and how your past experience can relate to the position you are applying for   Answer Question

Unfortunately had to decline because the week following my last interview we were informed my husband was deploying and you are asked not to take any leave for the first 6 weeks of training.

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at USAA (Phoenix, AZ) in January 2011.

Interview

Phone interview and face to face met with 2 managers both asking questions

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at USAA (Phoenix, AZ) in June 2009.

Interview

The hiring process is actually trivial. They already know your qualifications so the process is to determine if you fit in. Be very professional (no joking), very polite, and ask for the job.

Interview Questions

• Tell me when you had to fire someone and why.   1 Answer

Negotiation

There wasn't any.

Financial Advisor Interview

Interview

Very basic phone interview with HR person and then offered to fly me out for the face to face. Two managers, pretty straight forward.

Interview Questions

• One of the hiring managers took his cell phone out of his pocket and asked me to sell it to him right there.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

The process took 3 days. I interviewed at USAA (Dallas, TX) in February 2011.

Interview

interview process was very detailed and organized. the panel interview can be a little uncomfortable. they try to put you on the spot. you ill need to have examples of f specific situations that relate to the questions they ask.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

there isn't one. they just make a offer

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at USAA (Phoenix, AZ) in January 2008.

Interview

Applied online. Recruiter called to question my experiences and set up interview. Panel of two taking turns asking about 3 financial call scenario questions each. Asked me to join and then was taken on tour and briefed on culture as well as benefits packages. Background check was pretty thorough and very specific.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

an additional $3K

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at USAA (Phoenix, AZ) in August 2010.

Interview

Very simple phone interview lasted about an hour. Then a face-to-face interview that lasted about an hour. It is very important to go in with a focus to serve the military and how important it is. Remember this is also and insurance company. At the end of the interview they will ask to you sell them an item. Resolve the doubt and then re-recommend the product to the person.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

None