USAA Financial Foundations Associate Interview Questions

Updated Sep 6, 2014

2.7

17 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

I applied online. The process took 2+ months - interviewed at USAA in January 2011.

I applied in October 2010 and received an email from the recruiter in December 2010 to schedule a phone interview. She asked basic behavioral questions and confirmed info on my resume. The same day I was scheduled for an in-person interview for about two weeks later. There I was interviewed by two individuals, one asking questions and the other typing mu responses. They asked tons of behavioral questions and about my career goals. It lasted about 45 minutes. I got a call from the recruiter about a week later offering me the position.

Interview Questions
  • Tell me about a time you had to deal with an irate customer and how did you handle it?   Answer Question
I didn't negotiate because I knew the chance of getting more money would ne slim to none. However a coworker of mine did and got a slightly (very slightly) higher salary.

Other Interview Reviews for USAA

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at USAA in August 2014.

I applied online and it took 2-3 weeks to hear anything back. They emailed me an assessment which was basically a personality test and a few call center simulations. About a week later I got an email to schedule a phone interview.

The phone interview was about 15 minutes long and just a few very basic interview questions. It was a little bit awkward because the interviewer was typing the whole time I spoke, but she was very friendly and easy to talk to. At the end of the phone call, she gave me the option of doing the second and final interview on the campus or over the phone (since I don't live in the area), and she stressed that it made absolutely no difference to her. I thought that was kind of weird, but I decided to just go to the campus and do the interview in person. We scheduled the interview for the following week.

The in-person interview was also quite easy. The interviewer was super nice and made me feel comfortable, so that was probably why. They have a hallway of tiny rooms with thin walls and tiny desks that I assume they use specifically for interviewing, because there was a woman with the same interview time as me and they took us each into separate tiny rooms next to each other. Unlike others, I didn't have two people in the room when I interviewed but there was someone on speaker phone (she was from another USAA office in another state) who was basically silent the entire time except when she introduced herself at the very beginning and then when she thanked me at the end. The main interviewer (the one who was physically in the room with me) just asked a series of standard interview questions, some of them were even the same as the phone interview. She asked for a paper copy of my resume and skimmed over it. I had a list of references ready, but she never asked for them. She told me I'd hear from the recruiter I was working around the beginning of the following week.

On Monday or Tuesday of the following week, I got an email congratulating me on the interview and letting me know that they were just waiting on a few more things from my background check.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time you went out of your way for a customer and what happened.   Answer Question

The pay is non-negotiable-- $36K/year. They told me I'd be working evenings and weekends for a while because they give shifts based on seniority. One of the questions I asked in the interview was about retention and the interviewer basically told me it's very low (she even admitted it's lower than other call centers in the area) because many people have issues with attendance. This was a huge red flag to me that people don't like working there and don't feel valued enough to even show up.

Financial Foundations Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at USAA in February 2014.

Applied, a week later got an email for an assesment next week got hone interview then week after got in person interview. one person types what your saying one ask questions

Interview Questions
    • describe a time you had to muti task, what did you do and what was outcome   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at USAA in July 2014.

I applied in June of 2014 for the June, July, and August classes. It took about 2 weeks until I received an email which asked me to take an assessment (on a Tuesday) and I received a call the next day to schedule me for an interview on Thursday. I was contacted promptly by USAA HR at the scheduled time and the interview lasted about 25 minutes. The questions were pretty standard for any first round interview. In the beginning of the interview they pretty much tell you the starting pay and the hours required to work and then get into the questions. It was pretty smooth for me. At the end of the interview the HR manager told me that they wanted to pass me along to the next round interview on campus with Hiring Managers. They gave me some feedback to prepare myself for the interview. My interview was scheduled the following Thursday, a week later. I was then emailed by the HR Manager with the interview details along with instructions to complete a background check and a drug screening. I made sure to arrive early for my interview since you have to go through security and the campus is quite large. The interview is with 2 Hiring Mangers, one typing and the other mainly asking questions. Both of them made me feel very welcome and comfortable. Once again standard interview questions. At the end of the interview I was told I would hear from the HR Manager in 3 business days. It took 2 business days and I was called with a job offer and sent an email with the official offer. Pretty smooth process overall and I am excited to start my training soon.

Interview Questions
    • You are asked a few questions in the SBO (Situation, Behavior, Outcome) format. Make sure you give details about the situation, how you felt and others felt during the situation, and then how it was resolved.   Answer Question
    No negotiation. This is an entry level position and it has a set starting salary. Very good pay for starting pay.

Financial Foundations Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at USAA in June 2014.

Was an easy process, applied online, got sent the assessment via email one week later and completed same day to get a call 2 days later for phone interview the next day, face to face interview the next day then the next week was offered the position.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at USAA in June 2013.

Applied online. Received email two days later to complete assessment. Received email next day after assessment for a phone interview. After phone interview was scheduled for onsite interview with manager for two days later.

Interview Questions
    • Name a specific time when you had to sell someone something who objected and what was the outcome.   Answer Question
    No negotiation. There is a range and your salary is dictated by prior experience, military experience, and education.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

I applied online - interviewed at USAA.

Hiring process was pretty straight forward. Initial interview with recruiter followed by an interview at the facility with two managers. Whole process took about a month. One manager asked questions while the or he took notes.

Interview Questions

The salary was lower than I was looking for and I felt like the opportunity for time off down the road was slim. I just wanted to know that in case of an emergency with my kids I would be supported. When I questioned that with the recruiter I never heard back.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at USAA in June 2013.

I applied online, and about a week later I received an email that I had been scheduled for a phone interview. The phone interview was more of a screening process. My interview was with a woman who asked a few basic questions and went over the job description and made sure I was okay with the training hours and start date. After that, I was scheduled for another phone interview. This was my final interview. The woman asked me questions about my previous jobs, and about my sales experience as well as a role play and 2 basic customer service scenarios. I was told I would be contacted in 72 hours. I got a phone call three days later offering me the position. I got an email to either accept or deny the job offer. I accepted and was forwarded a login and password to fill out some new hire paperwork. My experience was positive and everyone I dealt with was very polite.

Interview Questions
    • Explain a time when you had to change old ways of doing things in order to improve sales. What is your approach to selling something.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

I applied online. The process took 4 days - interviewed at USAA in March 2011.

Fairly quick interview process. I just wish they had been more truthful about what the position entailed. The interviewer asked questions about how to service an angry customer (typical stuff) and laid the very basic function of the job but making sound like the primary focus. Over the course of the next few months, it became very clear to me that I had been duped. The position is a sales position; plain and simple. And the membership does not like it. At all.

Financial Foundation Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Tampa, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL

I applied online. The process took 4 days - interviewed at USAA in March 2014.

After applying online at usaa.com, I was directed to complete two follow-on assessments. After passing the assessments online, I was contacted by a recruiter via phone who asked more sales-related questions about my sales history. After that interview with the recruiter, another phone interview was set up with a hiring manager to conduct another interview.

Interview Questions
    • They mostly just asked sales experience related questions, about experience with up-selling and cross-selling products.   Answer Question

The pay was not enough for me, I was offered 34,000 per year and that was the highest they could offer me.

Worked for USAA? Contribute to the Community!