USAA IT Interview Questions

Updated Apr 30, 2015

2.7

Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at USAA (Plano, TX).

Interview

Campus Interview with 2 USAA HR Reps. Involved puzzle math questions and questions on basic IT/Computer Science Concepts. Then called for another hands on interview next week with USAA team in Plano. Interview involved group presentations and troubleshooting, Sudoku problem solving, charting timelines for projects, all with working with other candidates. Next phase was individual interview with 1-2 USAA engineers. Very similar to campus interview with more question but a bit more indepth overall. 2 week waiting time until final decision. All in all very positive experience.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for USAA

Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at USAA (Plano, TX).

Interview

Spoke with the recruiters at an college job fair during the Fall semester. Was able to set up an on-campus interview the next day. Interviewed with the IT Manager. Interview was very easy to talk to and relate with. Very smooth interview. Questions were behavioral, how you work on a team, etc.

Interview Questions

• Come up with an idea that would improve the customer experience (something along those lines)   Answer Question

IT Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at USAA.

Interview

I was recruited in career fair. Had 1:1 interview, rejected after that. I would have liked to receive feedback on it, I was told by the interviewer I did really good and the interview even lasted more than expected, but I only got an automated email saying I was rejected during the interview.

Interview Questions

• Design how would you implement banking in an original way   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at USAA (San Antonio, TX) in November 2014.

Interview

The recruiters from USAA came to my university and spoke to our class about being in the IT division at USAA. After the presentation, they setup an information session and accepted resumes on the spot. They then selected students from the resume pile and asked them to schedule an interview through our career center. They then selected a smaller number of students that made it to the interview for a final interview.

Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at USAA (San Antonio, TX) in October 2014.

Interview

There are 2 interviews, the first one is about 10 behavioral based questions and the 2nd is very similar to the first one. However, the 2nd one they invite you to dinner mostly to see if you are a culture fit so you really have to make a good impression.

After they ask the behavioral questions, they give you 3 papers, each page has a question. Question 1 was a puzzle (make up a schedule for the given employees based on their criteria) Question 2 was a design question and Question 3 was an Innovation question.

Interview Questions

• Name a time where you had to analyze something. How did you approach it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at USAA (Austin, TX) in October 2014.

Interview

1 on-campus (college) interview, and 1 WebEx interview. Both of the interviews were the same format, about 20-25 minutes of behavioral questions, and then two/three slightly technical questions. They weren't so technical as they were critical thinking; real life situations, rather than a question that was looking to stump. The second interview was with the team that I would have worked with, but almost exactly the same format.

Interview Questions

• Q: How would you tailor a mobile application to a service member working in an area with little to no internet capability?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at USAA (Plano, TX) in October 2014.

Interview

I did an interview at the university campus and they seemed pleased so they scheduled me for an interview at the Plano office. For a company who's entire mission statement is to assist and enable the armed services and their family, I find it offensive that they didn't extend an internship offer to a veteran. I felt I was qualified for the position (4.0 gpa in Computer Science, veteran, previous internship and industry experience) but then again the second interview could of went better. This is coming from someone who was later extended offers from Lockheed Martin and Google. I really don't know what the USAA recruiters didn't see that the LM and Google recruiters did see (Poor quality recruiters perhaps?). Still, the process left me with a bad impression of the company overall.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you experienced conflict in the workplace and how you resolved it.   Answer Question

IT Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at USAA in October 2014.

Interview

Two rounds of interviews. First one was on my University Campus during career fair recruitment. The second interview USAA flew us out to San Antonio, stayed at the Omni Hotel and had a networking dinner the night before with various employees. The interview day, was filled with various presentations and a tour of the campus (which is huge and awesome)

Interview Questions

• Design question, design an app that allows military to use in remote locations   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at USAA (San Antonio, TX) in October 2014.

Interview

Found out about opportunity through university career fairs (they do alot of work with university relations). They have 2 interviews and always have 3 specific questions - one problem solving, one logical, and one creative. The problem solving is something like given a set of clues, can you figure out the solution to the problem? The logical question is coming up with a design, key features, or capabilities that a certain new product would need (innovative thinking). The creative questions is similar and asks you to come up with a unique solution or design to solve a certain problem at hand. All are very easy-going and do not require intense programming skills. They don't ask you to write code or anything like that. The interview is behavioral based and measures your personality as a fit to their culture.

Interview Questions

• The design and logical questions (described above) was what I thought was most challenging. They are looking for certain key words from your answer.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at USAA (Austin, TX) in October 2014.

Interview

Talked to engineers at college career fair. Made a good impression and was emailed to set up an on campus interview within 5 days (despite being told that it was unlikely because I was a freshman). Interview was scheduled about three weeks after the initial contact at career fair. This interview (with an experienced developer turned manager) went well, and I received a phone call 5 days later asking to setup a second round phone interview (this time with two IT managers) for the end of the week. I received an offer 5 days thereafter. Altogether, the process took a little more than 4 weeks. My process was expedited, but I was offered an expenses-paid San Antonio visit/tour of the campus before my offer deadline.

Both interviews were /very/ similar. One mathematical reasoning question, two design/innovation questions. Nothing you can prepare for really.

Interview Questions

• You have engineering resources to spare. Come up with a compelling product or idea to encourage innovation.   Answer Question