USAA Intern Interview Questions

Updated Jul 20, 2015

2.6

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at USAA in September 2014.

Interview

Met with a recruiter at a campus career fair. I got a call about two days later asking to set up an interview later that week. Recruiters were very friendly and easy to talk to. After some basic questions, was handed essentially a test to complete in front of the recruiter. It had four questions mainly to see your thought process. Was a bit uncomfortable completing it while the recruiter watched but got through it okay enough. They mainly want to see how you think and if you'd fit in with their culture.

Interview Questions

• The only question I remember from the written portion involved a chart that had a list of names and their scheduling preferences. You were asked to create a one week schedule based off of the information   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for USAA

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at USAA (San Antonio, TX) in October 2011.

Interview

Internship interview -- offsite. First half were questions about who you are, why you want to work at USAA and then personality questions relating to working with others and you are to give examples from your experience. Second half is more technically as they look for you to say keywords like development model names. Next they'll ask a critical analysis math problem, similar to a math problem on a middle school homework assignment. (Weird and confusing wording but a simple problem) Next they'll ask you a situational question relating to developing something and what the steps are required to build it. Then they'll ask crap like what are you personally interested in. Onsite interview is the same but a tag team. They follow a similar order of questions as the first one but they feel free to ask questions they want whenever. They gave us a time frame of when we would know when we would get notified and we weren't notified in the specified time frame. But recently learned there was a hiring freeze that caused some of lag between the recruiters and the potential interns.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself.   Answer Question
    • You are to design a leak detection system. What kind of data would you collect from a leak detection system that you have implemented. Explain how you would go about this.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at USAA (San Antonio, TX) in March 2012.

Interview

I first saw USAA at a career fair booth at my school where I was offered a next day interview. Among some behavioral questions there were some creative thinking questions given to see how I go about solving problems. After the interview I was contacted by HR to go onsite in san antonio to interview again. I was flew to san antonio for free and they provided a one night hotel as well as meals. I arrived onsite the next day where I interviewed with two managers and then I took a tour of the campus before flying back. I was emailed next week saying that I was not given the offer.

Interview Questions

• What is a website that you visit frequently and how would you go about improving it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at USAA (San Antonio, TX) in October 2013.

Interview

I was first contacted by a recruiter after submitting my application. I had a phone interview, and then was flown down to the Home Office in San Antonio, TX for an on-site interview. We had a tour and an interview built into one day. We also had dinner the night before with the other candidates and employees from the department. Between breakfast and lunch the day before, I met over 20+ employees who I know work with on a daily basis at my internship.

Interview Questions

• I had no technical questions-they were all behavioral based.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was not able to negotiate.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at USAA (Plano, TX) in October 2014.

Interview

Met with them on the Career fair and had a behavior questions interview. Little math puzzle and some creative problem solving / problem solving approach. After the 1st interview they contacted me a few weeks later offering me to go their campus in Plano, TX where they took us to Dinner and the next day more interviews and an more detailed overview of the company / benefits. If you have any military connection be sure to mention it and bring it up. Most of the time they are asking for a fit for their culture and not a skillset.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at USAA in October 2014.

Interview

On campus interview the day after the career fair. 9 days later and offer to go to cooperate in5 days. After 1 week after the cooperate interview I was extended an offer.

Interview Questions

• Explain a time a whole was greater then the sum or it's parts, where you worked together to achieve something bigger then you could've done on your own.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at USAA (Tampa, FL) in February 2015.

Interview

Hiring process took 4 weeks. Went through two interviews with a group of hiring managers. One phone & the other in person. They were looking for individuals that fit with their culture.

Intern Interview

Interview

First round of interviews on campus. Interview was primarily more of a fit-type of interview. Two weeks later got offered to have a second round at their main office in San Antonio. Second interview was much more in-depth

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time where you made a decision and regretted it?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at USAA in October 2011.

Interview

I was able to obtain an interview with USAA through my university's online job search and internship application. The interview process was well structred and went smoothly. The employer asked me the usual interview questions -- why should we hire you, describe a difficult situation, greatest strength/weakness, etc.-- and proceeded to also test me on general reasoning skills via a simple test. He was very polite and gave me plenty of time to think and respond. Nothing too out of the ordinary, but keep in mind this was for an intern position and not full time. He explained that if one passed this interview process he or she would be interviewed a second time at their facility. When I brought up the fact that I had already recieved an offer from another major company in regards to a time constraint, the employer seemed more interested in our discussion. However, it is hard to know whether or not this would have been the deciding factor as the interview had seemed to progress well before that was mentioned. I believe that your best bet for obtaining an interview and hopefully an internship is to know your techincal skills as well as knowing proper social ettiquette and seeming enthusiastic and motivated. I would advise learning Java (any other programming languages are good too!) as well as having a firm grasp on mathematical reasoning and critical thinking. I would believe that you also need to be enrolled in or have graduated from a 4 year degree program. Good luck!

Interview Questions

• What will be the biggest challenge with using social media in the future as a way to promote business?   1 Answer

I decided to take a different offer for personal reasons.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at USAA in March 2013.

Interview

On campus interview, was asked general behavioral questions and a few logic puzzles. Interviewer did not seem to want to be there, acted very disinterested from the beginning. Also very focused on undergraduate GPA, will not consider a second interview if it is too low despite any other higher education.