USAA

Updated Jul 9, 2014

Average Difficulty
11 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions

San Antonio, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at USAA in October 2013.

Interview Details – I was first contacted by a recruiter after submitting my application. I had a phone interview, and then was flown down to the Home Office in San Antonio, TX for an on-site interview. We had a tour and an interview built into one day. We also had dinner the night before with the other candidates and employees from the department. Between breakfast and lunch the day before, I met over 20+ employees who I know work with on a daily basis at my internship.

Interview Question – I had no technical questions-they were all behavioral based.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was not able to negotiate.

San Antonio, TX

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at USAA in October 2013.

Interview Details – I did not have the opportunity to speak with USAA at the career fair, but I applied online. The entire process lasted a little over a month. Shortly after I applied I was contacted for a videoconference interview. The interviewer asked typical behavioral questions and questions about my interest in the field. Two weeks later I was notified that I was selected for the final interviews. A week later I drove to San Antonio and we had dinner with the other students and a few members from the department. The next day we went to HQ and toured the campus, met with many people working in the department and were interviewed in a two person panel for about 45 minutes. All the questions were behavioral, but I could see how the questions were related to my specific position. They also based all of their questions from my experiences on my resume. I found out I was selected for the position three business days later.

Interview Question – Name a time you had to analyze something.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation, but the offer is very good.

San Antonio, TX

I applied through college or university - interviewed at USAA in February 2013.

Interview Details – Interview on campus. Afterwards, got an e-mail for an on-site visit with other students. We had dinner the day before, then we got an escort to the facility. We were there for about 6 hours, but interview lasted only one hour. Two critical thinking questions and one math question the first interview, and one critical question and one math question. Same difficulty.

Interview Question – The math question was relatively easy, but confusing. Just ask questions.   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Interviewed at USAA

Interview Details – University recruitment, campus fair, campus interview, followed by on-sight interview.

Interview Question – Mainly behavioral questions, they weren't trying to catch you off guard.   Answer Question

San Antonio, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at USAA in October 2012.

Interview Details – Applied through my college recruiting website, and was notified that I would have an interview on a scheduled day.

In the interview, I was given a few problems. The first problem involved a simple algebraic problem solving skills. The second was designing a system for a pizza restaurant. The third was coming up with an innovation to replace elevators and escalators.

Really they just wanted to see if I was logical yet creative while still being personable.

Interview Question – In the second interview they gave me a situation:

If you were told one year in advance that a giant earthquake would completely break california from the mainland US, and had anyone's skills at your disposal, what would you do to prepare for that day.
  View Answers (3)

Negotiation Details – No negotiation as it was an internship offer.

Interviewed at USAA

Interview Details – Interviewed at a conference two weeks later was flown out for an interview and tour of headquarters

Interview Question – They will ask a design and creativity questions that are all very different in nature and sometimes difficult to think outside of the box on.   Answer Question

Interviewed at USAA

Interview Details – Initial 5 min interview with one person to talk about basic info. Second person went through behavioral questions and then gave a written skills test.

Interview Question – What was your the most difficult obstacle that you had to overcome?   Answer Question

Intern

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at USAA in February 2012.

Interview Details – One group interview. Took about three weeks before they started offering people

Interview Question – Name a time when you worked in a team and it didn't go as planned.   Answer Question

San Antonio, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at USAA in March 2012.

Interview Details – I first saw USAA at a career fair booth at my school where I was offered a next day interview. Among some behavioral questions there were some creative thinking questions given to see how I go about solving problems. After the interview I was contacted by HR to go onsite in san antonio to interview again. I was flew to san antonio for free and they provided a one night hotel as well as meals. I arrived onsite the next day where I interviewed with two managers and then I took a tour of the campus before flying back. I was emailed next week saying that I was not given the offer.

Interview Question – What is a website that you visit frequently and how would you go about improving it?   Answer Question

Intern

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at USAA in October 2011.

Interview Details – I was able to obtain an interview with USAA through my university's online job search and internship application. The interview process was well structred and went smoothly. The employer asked me the usual interview questions -- why should we hire you, describe a difficult situation, greatest strength/weakness, etc.-- and proceeded to also test me on general reasoning skills via a simple test. He was very polite and gave me plenty of time to think and respond. Nothing too out of the ordinary, but keep in mind this was for an intern position and not full time. He explained that if one passed this interview process he or she would be interviewed a second time at their facility. When I brought up the fact that I had already recieved an offer from another major company in regards to a time constraint, the employer seemed more interested in our discussion. However, it is hard to know whether or not this would have been the deciding factor as the interview had seemed to progress well before that was mentioned.

I believe that your best bet for obtaining an interview and hopefully an internship is to know your techincal skills as well as knowing proper social ettiquette and seeming enthusiastic and motivated. I would advise learning Java (any other programming languages are good too!) as well as having a firm grasp on mathematical reasoning and critical thinking. I would believe that you also need to be enrolled in or have graduated from a 4 year degree program. Good luck!

Interview Question – What will be the biggest challenge with using social media in the future as a way to promote business?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – I decided to take a different offer for personal reasons.

Worked for USAA? Contribute to the Community!