USAA Interview Questions

Updated Aug 26, 2015

2.8

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Addison, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at USAA (Addison, TX).

Interview

Behavioral question and very customer service oriented, it's was your standard, "Give me a situation when did something wrong, or handled a difficult customer." It's nothing that's going to overwhelm you and leave you asking yourself if you answered the question right. They're super big on those 30/60/90 day plans... Believe, you're opinion doesn't matter... Just say member and veteran a lot, and how you like serving them, and you'll get the job.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

They don't negotiate because they don't pay well at all. There's no monthly bonuses and your salary is barely worth referencing. It's pretty pathetic actually. The good thing is, you may still qualify for welfare.

Total Loss Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at USAA (San Antonio, TX).

Interview

very rude manager who was on teleconference during interview with someone in FL, ERICA RODRIGUEZ was FALLING ASLEEP during the interview then said I needed to say key words I must not have said her key words that she wanted but if that is how they hire instead of experience, good thing I don't work there!

Interview Questions

• what positions have I held where I had to bring bad news to someone and what did I do and what was the outcome   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at USAA (San Antonio, TX).

Interview

Phone interview with in-person follow up. In-person interview was 8 hours in a holding room with your fellow candidates, and at some point during the day one 40 minute panel interview (8 hours is probably an informal observation by recruiting team members). The panel interview was somewhat disorganized--three members of the panel met at one interview room, which turned out to be the wrong room. I then walked with the three members to a different room, where the fourth member was waiting. During part of the 8 hour waiting period, we also received a tour of the facility. The on-site campus is absolutely opulent (exciting as a candidate, maybe disheartening as a USAA member thinking about overhead), with on-site softball fields, gyms, task-rabbit type services to have folks change your oil, etc. The panel interview consisted of behavioral based questions. At the end they allowed me to ask questions about USAA. During this time USAA was very transparent about their organization and culture, for which I was thankful. For me, the key part of the interview was when I was allowed to ask questions of the panel. I asked the following question: "I see the majority of the prior military corporate officer leadership is mostly made up of generals. Being a former [lower level rank] military member, I would like to be judged solely on my performance. One of my personal goals is to become a corporate officer..." At which point a former O-7 on the panel snickered "...do you think this is achievable at USAA?" I had my answer before finishing my question. My key points walking away from the interview were the following: 1. USAA is a customer focused organization and stable place to work. 2. USAA, similar to the military, has a very hierarchical organizational structure. 3. "Hurry up and wait" interview process felt similar to the military, as did the disorganization around the interview location. 4. I felt my prior rank would follow me into this organization. 5. Confirmed there are no 1Lts or Captains in high level corporate officer positions. 6. Bonuses are based on company, not individual performance. I appreciated the transparency and felt I got a good feel for the company culture, which was very important to me. It was a positive experience.

Interview Questions

• What do you hope to gain from the JMO development program?   Answer Question

Financial Foundations Associate Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at USAA.

Interview

Started with a phone interview and then I was called in to take a computer tests to determine my skills with multitasking on more then one computer screen. This was later followed by an in person interview.

Claims Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at USAA.

Interview

Two phone interviews followed by background check. Everything was great up until the background check run by a third party company. I submitted all documentation required only to be told half of it wasn't accepted. When I called up the rep/agent in charge of the background check she asked me a couple questions and said everything was good and to ignore the email. The next morning I get another email saying there is a request for more information which the rep/agent didn't say anything about. I send in the info and after a couple days I get another email saying the new documents are not accepted. I call the rep/agent up again asking what's going on. As a veteran myself I have a secret security clearance and if there was really something wrong there is no way I would have that. Again the rep/agent asks a couple questions and says everything is good. At this point it should come as no surprise that one week goes by and I get an email saying my documents are not accepted so I call up the recruiter to find out what's going on. The USAA recruiter tells me all of my documents are accepted and when would I like to set up an in person interview. I turned the position/interview down at this point and explained that if USAA does business with outside companies like the one I just had the misfortune of interacting with, I could not see myself with USAA. Interviewees beware, you will have to hire yourself into this company after wading through a huge headache and there's plenty of other companies out there looking for good employees. USAA: stop farming out HR functions to outside companies that are tarnishing your image and costing you money. Also get some better recruiters on board that don't make your applicants do their work for them.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at USAA.

Interview

Recruiter reached out to me and solicited my application. Recruiter sent a list of questions regarding my previous work experience as well as complete salary history (a complete duplication of what the website requires candidates to fill out). Scheduled a phone interview with the hiring manager in 30 days. Had 20 minute phone interview with the head of the department. He talked 95% of the time and asked me two questions about my background. I received a rejection email from USAA exactly 45 minutes after I hung up the phone. Just a heads up to other candidates, the HR recruiter gave me a range on the base & bonus compensation for the position and their process forces candidates to disclose all salary history prior to starting the process. The budgeted range was presented to me was $68k-$98k with a max discretionary cash bonus of ~$20k. My current all in comp. is substantially more so I'm not sure if that effected my candidacy or I wasn't a good fit for the group.

Interview Questions

• Have you worked on transactions with early stage companies? What do you enjoy about private equity? I did not get any technical questions or questions about previous transactions which I'd worked on.   1 Answer

SDI I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at USAA (San Antonio, TX) in August 2015.

Interview

Applied on-line at their site. I received a phone call about two weeks after applying from their Human Resources department to schedule a phone interview. The phone interview went well and received another call from the same Human Resources person to schedule a formal interview. Formal interview was scheduled about a week after phone interview. An on-line application had to be completed before the formal interview. I received a copy of their benefits as well, which are amazing!

Interview Questions

• Explain how I handled a difficult situation with another employee or a difficult situation at my last employment.   1 Answer

Customer Service Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at USAA in August 2015.

Interview

had a phone interview were they asked basic interview questions and the interviewer gave me job description, salary, and training dates. Interviewer was nice and easy to talk too, I'm looking toward to my manager interview soon!

Interview Questions

• What's my availability to work nights and weekends?   1 Answer

Total Loss Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at USAA (San Antonio, TX) in August 2015.

Interview

After applying, I was asked to complete an online assessment within a few days. After completion, I had a phone interview a couple of weeks later and was then scheduled an in-person interview two weeks after that. Before my in-person interview, I had to complete a background check and drug test. Worst interview experience. My interviewer (1 lady, usual interviews include 2 or 3 interviewers) was impersonal, sour-faced, never smiled and seemed disinterested from the start. Luckily I know many people who work for USAA and this is not the typical interview experience. If had interviewed with anyone else, I know I would have been offered a job.

Interview Questions

• How would your friends describe you?   Answer Question
    • Identify a situation where something happened at work that you weren't prepared for, what did you do and what was the outcome?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at USAA (San Antonio, TX).

Interview

I initially met a recruiter on campus who scheduled an on-campus interview for a few days later. I interviewed with one manager who asked me some questions about my classes and coursework, and my personality. No technical questions, just asked situational questions. I was then invited to a dinner with other prospective interns and a few managers. The next day I interviewed at the actual USAA campus with two managers. They asked me basic questions about myself, why I wanted to work there, what I would do in certain situations.

Interview Questions

• They gave me a math problem where I had to create 3 specific numbers using only certain other numbers.   Answer Question