USAA

Getting the Interview

253 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Member Service Representative Interview

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at USAA.

Interview Details – Applied for a few positions. I finally had an email to take an assessment. About a week later I had a phone interview, then was scheduled the next day for a manager interview. I thought it went well considering they sent me on a drug test. Called today to give the recruiter some information (more than a week after interview) and was told I was not being hired. Glad they never bothered to tell me. I guess talk a lot they apparently want you to ramble on or you are to quite in their opinion. Its called being professional not quite.

Interview Question – Tell us about a time you had to have people work together   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

San Antonio, TX

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at USAA in April 2010.

Interview Details – Pretty straight forward. Phone interview was very general, no surprises. F2F interview was a panel of Directors who asked a lot of questions around PPM systems and practices. No surprises there either.

Negotiation Details – They made an offer, I countered and they accepted. Pretty easy. Took about 3 days.

Inside Adjuster III Interview

San Antonio, TX

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at USAA.

Interview Details – First, I had an online assessment, then a phone interview. After the phone interview, I was asked to complete a drug test and background check. Then, I received an on-campus interview with 2 managers. One typed mainly and the other asked the questions. I received a call the next day offering me the position. I accepted it online and I start soon. It was a pretty straightforward, yet intimidating process!

Interview Question – They were all difficult because I handle these on a daily basis--- name a time when you helped an upset customer, name a time you helped achieve a common goal, etc   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation but seems like a pretty fair salary so I didn't try.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

IT Intern Interview

San Antonio, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at USAA.

Interview Details – I applied online after meeting USAA reps at a college career fair. A few days later I received an email informing me that they were interested in conducting a phone interview. The phone interview consisted of no technical questions, just logic based questions. After a week, I received another email inviting me to interview in person. It was a two day process. The first day was very casual. We just had dinner with some of the managers from the company. The second day consisted of a 1 hr interview and a tour of the enormous campus. The face to face interview was had very similar questions as the phone interview. A few logic questions, 1 question asking how you would handle an efficiency issue, 1 design question

Interview Question – Design an application that can be used on multiple types of devices. It must allow the user to record audio, take pictures, wrote text, etc; It must also store the data and be able to be accessed at a later date. You have to draw a picture and explain everything.   Answer Question

Financial Foundations Associate Interview

San Antonio, TX

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at USAA.

Interview Details – I applied to USAA through the Careers section online. Applied on January 3rd but didn't get an email back until February 15th for the assessment, took about 40 minutes. The assessment basically measures common sense, typing skills, customer relation scenarios, personality test and so on. The next day I got a call asking if I would be interested in taking a phone interview. It was scheduled for the next day.

During the phone interview an HR Rep reviewed the job description along with when the training class would start. She went over my job experiences, what I learned from each job and why I left each job. She asked if the start date would be a problem and if I had plans to travel or have time off within the first 6 months. I did have a trip planned but I informed her I would not mind cancelling it if I got the job. She proceeded to ask me numerous What would you do if. . . and tell me about a time that . . . Once we finished with the 20 minute phone interview she asked me if I would be available to have a face-to-face interview with 2 hiring managers. She suggested that I mention my current GPA and mention my schooling in my next interview. I agreed I would be available the next day and was told I needed to go get a drug test as well as complete the background check information through a link that was emailed to me. I had 24 hours to get the drug test done if not I would be withdrawn from the process.

The face-to-face interview was with two managers. One was asking all the interview questions as the other just notated everything I was answering. At first they wanted to get to know me as a person. Asked of what my days consisted of, what hobbies I had, what I looked for in a company. She then went ahead and started asking me 4 main questions of what would you do if. . . and how would you handle . . . She stated some questions could be repeated from when the HR Rep had the interview with me but to try to provide different scenarios. Once we finished the 40 minute face-to-face interview she went over the training information, job description and more about the company as a whole.

That same day HireRight (the company that is contracted to do the background check) emailed me for paystubs of my current job, proof of start date and asked me to email them signed form to be able to release all the information found to USAA. That day I also got an email from my credit monitoring system that they had ran my credit. After that my status online remained as "interview in progress" for about 3 - 4 weeks.

I finally received an email from the HR Rep that did my phone interview stating she needed to speak to me and asked for a good time for her to call me. Once she got a hold me she informed me the training class which was in a week had to be rescheduled for another 2 weeks but that they wanted to offer me a position. She provided me with the offering salary as well as the bonus amounts and other benefits. She then sent me an email with the offer and a link which I had to accept or deny.

Interview Question – Tell me what your typical day consists of.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There is a range pay for each position. Based on your experience and education they tell you what you will be getting paid.

IT Interview

Interviewed at USAA

Interview Details – I met a recruiter at a school career fair, and turned in a resume. A couple weeks later I received an email setting up an interview, which was on campus. The interviewer was friendly, and the precess went smoothly. I later found out I did not make the final round of interviews, but it was still a good learning experience.

Interview Question – Describe a time when something needed to be done, but nobody was doing anything.   Answer Question

Member Relationship Specialist I Interview

San Antonio, TX

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at USAA in June 2010.

Interview Details – I had a total of 2 interviews. The first interview was over the phone and pretty simple. They asked one "tell me about a time" question. I then went in for a second interview which was with 2 managers. I was very nervous, but they made me feel comfortable. It was alot of the "what would you do in this situation" questions.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time where you messed up and what steps did you take to fix the problem. Also tell me one thing you would change about your work ethic. Things of that nature.   Answer Question

Software Developer III Interview

Software Developer III
Plano, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at USAA in March 2014.

Interview Details – The process took about 2 and a half weeks. Met them at the career fair and was invited to dinner at a fancy restaurant. Had an on campus interview the next day which took about an hour. About half of the interview was behavioral questions and the other half were design questions.

I got invited out for a final interview at USAA in Plano. It lasted around 5 hours plus lunch. They went over benefits packages and the company vision, etc. Another 1 hour interview same as the first one. Felt good about the interview and they made me feel like I was getting a job. Got a rejection email 3 to 4 days later.

Interview Question – What is an innovation you can produce for USAA's customer service program?   Answer Question

IT Intern Interview

I applied through college or university and interviewed at USAA.

Interview Details – 3 stages 1st Math Questions , 2nd Design Questions app for meeting scheduling for geographically distributed company. What will you consider. 3rd CRM with big data what all u can do with that data

Interview Question – Design Question catchy   Answer Question

Auto Adjuster III Interview

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at USAA.

Interview Details – I applied to USAA on a weekend via their website and heard back within a week about setting up a phone interview. The phone interview was very simple and straightforward. I mainly remember them asking about customer service (how you've demonstrated customer service, how you've gone above and beyond for a customer). There were only a few questions and the rest was just the HR rep giving background about the position like salary, work hours, benefits, etc. The woman was very nice, helpful, and polite. We set up my manager interview and a drug test. She knew from my application that I was a recent college graduate and gave me some advice for using my college experience in my interview since my work experience was part time.

My manager interview went very well. It was with 2 managers, but only one asked questions while the other transcribed. These again were very simple, typical interview questions and focused on customer service. There were 5 (he told me there would be 5 at the beginning) and most were worded as "Tell me about a time you..." including a time you delivered great customer service, a time you couldn't give a customer what they want, etc. After you give your answer, they will often ask follow up questions so be prepared to elaborate. I was then given the opportunity to ask the managers questions, which I did, and they seemed to really appreciate that. I was then given a tour of the office before ending the meeting.

At the interview I was given a date where we would hear back (either via phone call if we were offered a position or email if we were not). This date did not hold because of bad weather however. After not hearing back for a while, I emailed the HR rep and she called me to say that the training class had been downsized and unfortunately I was the one person who got cut. However, she said I would be a backup in case anyone decided to back out at the last minute. She also told me about an upcoming job opportunity in a similar position and told me should work with me and the HR rep for that position because the managers had been really impressed with my interview. I really appreciated her going this extra mile when she could have just told me I didn't get the job and left it at that. Ultimately, I was called back a week later at the last minute and offered the position because someone had dropped out.

All in all I was very impressed with USAA's hiring process. The only "snag" I hit was with HireRight, the company they use to do background checks for them. My USAA background check rep was very helpful, but the HireRight employees were less so and that process seemed very drawn out.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time you were in charge of a group/team   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation, from the initial phone interview they were very clear about the salary.

Interviews for Top Jobs at USAA

Worked for USAA? Contribute to the Community!

USAA Videos

USAA – Why Work for Us?

USAA's Mission The mission of the association is to facilitate the financial security of its members, associates, and their families through provision of a full range of highly competitive financial products and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at USAA interview questions and advice. All 253 interview reviews posted anonymously by USAA employees and interview candidates.