USAA

Updated Dec 14, 2014

2.8

Customer Service Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at USAA in April 2011.

Very tough interview process. Questions are predictable for the position, but the interviewers gave no feedback or expressions so it was impossible to tell whether I was doing well or not. Very professional as expected, but the long wait time and lack of feedback make it hard to know how well I did.

Mortgage Originator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at USAA in April 2012.

USAA is a great place for customer service for its members however, for those who wish to work there the process is very convoluted and disorganized at best.
    I originally applied for a Consumer Lending position to get my foot in the door. USAA is supposed to be a strong supporter of those transitioning from the military but to see how their HR staff fail to communicate any part of the process is a huge let down. I have just completed 20 years of active duty service and my bachelor's degree and throughout the entire process, HR staff were not available at all to return phone calls or answer emails to give a status update.
    In early April 2012, I applied and initially moved smoothly to the phone interview phase which consisted of basic behavioral and customer service questions. My position in the military was all customer service so this was not a problem. Within 7 days, I advanced to the in-person interview which consisted of 2:1 in-depth behavioral questioning, as well as situational response. Within a day after completing the interview, I was moved to the next step, background and drug screen. The HR emailed with the directions to fill out forms and complete the drug screen but never sent the information to complete the actions. I attempted multiple times over a week's time to contact with no success and when I did finally contact her, she told me the position was already filled and asked if I would apply for a Mortgage Originator position instead.
    After applying for the position, I quickly moved through the process. Before interviewing, she sent me the background check and drug screen information, completing this before either interview phase. After finishing both interviews, everything except one location of my background check came back clear (it should have since I was a military police officer), and I was emailed that upon return of the check, I would be extended an offer.
    After only 3 business days, the HR emailed stating the position I was applying for was filled AGAIN and to apply for an insurance position. I then spent the next 10-14 days trying to get in touch with her to speak in person with no success. Just yesterday, May 23, I received an email stating she would keep my information on file for future possibilities.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you had an irrate person to deal with due to mistrust and failed actions and how you overcame the situation. What was the result?   View Answer

Financial Foundations Associate (Work-at-home) Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at USAA in July 2014.

There were test, interviews, background checks, drug test. It was difficult and uncomfortable. They don't pay very well. There are two interviews, one with a HR rep, and the other with two hiring managers. They expect a lot out of you for very little pay.

Interview Questions
    • From start to finish this has been the most extensive interviewing process I have ever gone through. I’ve interviewed for professional/executive type positions from sales, to medical, to human resources, and nothing has compared to this process. This is definitely a long, tedious measure for such a low position. The way these proceedings went you would think I was applying to be a director at a hospital or something. I mean this is ridiculous.
      My application was filled out online July 2nd. I received an email days later to take an assessment and a personality test. This was very extensive. At the end of the assessment, they ask you to take practice calls with a recording. If you pass, you move on. I did. I received a call August 6th to schedule an interview with a human resources recruiter. I completed that first interview with HR. The questions asked were easy: what is your availability? Can you offer a quiet/distraction free work area in your house? Are you available for training in Killeen? Tell me about your work experience. Can you work every Saturday? Tell me about yourself, ect. ect. ect….This interview lasted about 20 minutes.
      Then I received another call about 2 days later to schedule my interview with the hiring managers. I had it scheduled for Aug 21. On Tuesday Aug 19th I received an email with instructions to fill out a background check application (which is quite a process in itself) they needed documentation of everything. They use a company called Hire Right. This company is terrible and pretty much make you do your own background check. USAA is wasting money by using them. Then I received an email with an appointment to take a drug test.
      On the 21st my interview happened over the phone with two hiring managers. One was asking the questions and the other was taking notes. This interview lasted an hour. It was very “formalish” and uptight. The interviews did not use any technique to make you feel comfortable.
      The questions in the first 30 minutes: What is your perception of a call center? Tell me what you liked about your job? What did you not like about it? What is your experience with sales? What would your previous employer critique or criticize you about? What is your sales style? How do you approach selling something or a service to someone? If we called people you worked with in the past what would they say about you? What are your thoughts about this job, tell me what you think it will be like? What are your thoughts on USAA? How are you prepared for this position, i.e. does everyone in the family know you cannot be bothered at work, do you have a private area in your house? What have you done in the past that can prepare you for this type of work? What kind of problems do you think you will face with this job being a call center type job?
      Then the formal behavioral based questioned took up the rest of the interview, along with a more detailed explanation of the job. Questions: Tell me a time you had to sell something to someone who had objections? Tell me a time you had to handle a disgruntled customer? Tell me a time you had to make changes from the normal way of doing things to make a sale? Tell me a time that you sold something? There were too many questions to remember all of them. But that’s the jist of it.
      A couple of days later I was offered the job over the phone by the HR recruiter. She offered me 34,000 a year. I accepted.

Answer Question
    Not able to negotiate. I met all of their "preferred" rather than minimum requirements and qualifications and was still only offered 34,000 a year. I have two degrees a B.A. and A.S, I am a veteran, a military spouse, with years of experience, compared to just a spouse with a H.S. diploma and yet we make the same amount of money.

Financial Foundations Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at USAA in January 2011.

I applied in October 2010 and received an email from the recruiter in December 2010 to schedule a phone interview. She asked basic behavioral questions and confirmed info on my resume. The same day I was scheduled for an in-person interview for about two weeks later. There I was interviewed by two individuals, one asking questions and the other typing mu responses. They asked tons of behavioral questions and about my career goals. It lasted about 45 minutes. I got a call from the recruiter about a week later offering me the position.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you had to deal with an irate customer and how did you handle it?   Answer Question
    I didn't negotiate because I knew the chance of getting more money would ne slim to none. However a coworker of mine did and got a slightly (very slightly) higher salary.

SMS Representative III Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Colorado Springs, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Colorado Springs, CO

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at USAA.

I applied on line a few weeks before getting out of the military. I did the online assessments, phone interview, in person interview. I'm almost 100% sure the only reason I got the offer is because I am a combat Vet. Out of the 18 people they hired in my group, I was the only one without a college degree.

Interview Questions
    • They asked me to sell them a phone. It was weird and uncomfortable having to give a sales pitch. If I didn't need the job I would have walked out right then and there.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation. It was take it or leave it.

Financial Foundations Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at USAA in July 2013.

phone interview consist of basic questions ...why did you leave your last job ..what made you choose usaa for employment ...what do you know about the job you apllying for. the if they like wha they hear the will set up a face to face ..that's when they ask for detailed answers like tell me time you didn't like what you manager was doing and how'd you handle that

Interview Questions
    • name a time some one came to you with an issue how did you fix the problem and why did it become an issue   Answer Question
    none

IT Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at USAA in February 2012.

Met a recruiter at Career Fair and passed my resume along to him. I received an interview from our university career website. I researched the company and the intern position description. The interview took about an hour with behavioral questions, calculating questions, and creative thinking questions.

Interview Questions
    • A business is about to go bankrupt. This business sells generic products. Choose one of the 4 products and how would you improve or change this product.
      1) Candle
      2) Piggy bank
      3) Mouse pad
      4) Towel

View Answer

Member Relationship Specialist III Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at USAA in October 2010.

Starts with the online application, if you are pursued you are sent an assessment to complete, if you pass the assessment you are sent for a drug test, after those results are received you are scheduled for an initial phone interview, then an in-person interview with two managers. If you are selected, you are sent an email confirmation to accept the job offer. You are placed in a new-hire group to start on a specific date.

Interview Questions
    • You do realize you will have to stay in your position at least 5 years before you will have a chance to apply for other positions or try something new because it is very competitive here, how do you feel about that?   Answer Question

IT Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at USAA in December 2011.

I had an initial interview with an IT employee at a Computing conference. The interview consisted of the usual behavioral questions and some thought provoking questions. There were also a couple of technical questions, dealing with database growth rates. A few weeks after the interview I was contacted for second round interviews at the San Antonio campus. They flew me out and put all the interviewees at the Omni. We had dinner that night then breakfast, interviews, and, a tour of the campus the next day. The interview was 2:1 and followed the same format of the first interview.

Interview Questions
    • What are the implications of moving the computing society to the cloud.   View Answer

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at USAA in January 2011.

Very through process.
    First phone interview, followed by an on site 1:1 interviews, background check (complete) and drug tests.
    Once accepted, have to go through a New Employee Orientation which is an excellent way to present the culture and philosophy of the company.

Interview Questions
    • Practical case. Was asked what would I do on a specific situation with no information whatsoever.   View Answer
    • Explain a situation that has represented a challenge for you and how you overcame it.   View Answer
    If you are comfortable with the offer, take it. The benefits are second to none and it is a great place to work overall.