USAA

2.8

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at USAA in October 2014.

Met with them on the Career fair and had a behavior questions interview. Little math puzzle and some creative problem solving / problem solving approach.

After the 1st interview they contacted me a few weeks later offering me to go their campus in Plano, TX where they took us to Dinner and the next day more interviews and an more detailed overview of the company / benefits.

If you have any military connection be sure to mention it and bring it up. Most of the time they are asking for a fit for their culture and not a skillset.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at USAA in October 2014.

Talked to engineers at college career fair. Made a good impression and was emailed to set up an on campus interview within 5 days (despite being told that it was unlikely because I was a freshman). Interview was scheduled about three weeks after the initial contact at career fair. This interview (with an experienced developer turned manager) went well, and I received a phone call 5 days later asking to setup a second round phone interview (this time with two IT managers) for the end of the week. I received an offer 5 days thereafter. Altogether, the process took a little more than 4 weeks. My process was expedited, but I was offered an expenses-paid San Antonio visit/tour of the campus before my offer deadline.

Both interviews were /very/ similar. One mathematical reasoning question, two design/innovation questions. Nothing you can prepare for really.

Interview Questions
    • You have engineering resources to spare. Come up with a compelling product or idea to encourage innovation.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

I applied through college or university – interviewed at USAA in October 2014.

Found out about opportunity through university career fairs (they do alot of work with university relations). They have 2 interviews and always have 3 specific questions - one problem solving, one logical, and one creative. The problem solving is something like given a set of clues, can you figure out the solution to the problem? The logical question is coming up with a design, key features, or capabilities that a certain new product would need (innovative thinking). The creative questions is similar and asks you to come up with a unique solution or design to solve a certain problem at hand. All are very easy-going and do not require intense programming skills. They don't ask you to write code or anything like that. The interview is behavioral based and measures your personality as a fit to their culture.

Interview Questions
    • The design and logical questions (described above) was what I thought was most challenging. They are looking for certain key words from your answer.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at USAA in October 2014.

On campus interview the day after the career fair. 9 days later and offer to go to cooperate in5 days. After 1 week after the cooperate interview I was extended an offer.

Interview Questions
    • Explain a time a whole was greater then the sum or it's parts, where you worked together to achieve something bigger then you could've done on your own.   Answer Question

Auto Adjuster Interview

Received a typing test, was called in for an interview about 1 week later. 2 people interviewed, was a fairly short process, maybe 20 minutes. Asked a few personality questions, then explained the position itself.

Financial Foundations Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at USAA in October 2014.

The process was straight forward and quick. You are invited to take an online assessment, if you pass the assessment you have an initial phone screening with a recruiter. The phone screening last about 30 minutes, the recruiter describes the position and salary ($34,000 for this one) and gives you an opportunity to ask any questions. The recruiter will decide whether or not to recommend you for an interview with the hiring manager. During the interview, there are two people, one who asks the questions and another to type what you are saying. Questions are pretty standard and open-ended to get a better feel for your qualifications.

A Senior Or Lead Position Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at USAA in October 2014.

Contacted by USAA. Behavioral interview went well. USAA promised to contact prior to interview with Hiring Manager and did not do so. The Hiring Manager called and the first question asked was, "Am I supposed to interview you?" I had a tough time hearing her on the phone since she spoke very softly and seemed aloof. She sounded put out to have to do this on a Friday and it seemed as though she may have believed HR made an error placing my file in her basket. This is not "buying language" nor was it professional. The interview lasted about 30 minutes as the hiring manager asked me questions and I attempted to establish rapport. The hiring manager determined I had plenty of experience and said I would know either way in 2-3 weeks. USAA did not return my call when I called 3 1/2 weeks later. I received e-mail notification of being rejected in interview. I called USAA and asked for specific feedback on the interview, they had none and hung up the phone on me. It is my belief the Hiring Manager already had the team picked and I was not one of them. The lack of preparedness and professionalism, make me believe USAA is a lot of smoke and mirrors. Quite frankly, this really degraded my opinion of the organization. My impression is I learned more in this interview than I would have had everything gone smoothly.

Interview Questions
    • What did you do when you had a member of the team who refused to change?   View Answer

IT Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at USAA in October 2014.

Two rounds of interviews. First one was on my University Campus during career fair recruitment. The second interview USAA flew us out to San Antonio, stayed at the Omni Hotel and had a networking dinner the night before with various employees. The interview day, was filled with various presentations and a tour of the campus (which is huge and awesome)

Interview Questions
    • Design question, design an app that allows military to use in remote locations   Answer Question

Bodily Injury Adjuster Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at USAA.

I was contacted by an HR personnel by email and she scheduled a phone interview which went well. The interview with the HR representative was very informative and she was professional and nice. She set me up to meet with 2 managers in the New Tampa, FL office. They were ok at first (not nice, not mean). One asked questions as the other one typed. Towards the end, I asked about how long it would take for me to know about their decision because I had received another offer a few minutes after I had the phone interview but although the other company is also a great company and I am happy to work for, I sincerely was hoping to work for USAA when comparing the benefits and the distance.

One of the managers became extremely rude and insinuated that I was lying. He asked:
    "Whose hiring now?" He then said that he's friends with managers at most major insurance companies and knew that no one was hiring. He then mentioned the name of an insurance company as a way to insult and to mock me and asked "Is that where you'll be working?" The other manager appeared to have felt bad and kind of tried to make the situation slightly better by adding that he understood why I would want to know how long the process would take.

I had a major headache when I got home. I could not believe what I had just experienced. Nevertheless, I thank that rude manager for helping me make the best decision. At the other company, everyone was courteous and respectful. If he treated me that way when I'm not even working for him, how would he treat me if i was an employee. That manager did not know that I had received over 15 calls for different interviews in the 4 months following my graduation and that other companies recognize talents just like them. In addition, I do have a wonderful job that I love and that I am not desperate.

I emailed the HR rep. and told her that I no longer wished to pursue the position. I know that USAA is a great company and that the CEO would not be thrilled to learn how unprofessional that man is.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked so many questions around claim handling and STAR like questions. Overall, they were typical interview questions.   Answer Question

SMS Representative III Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Colorado Springs, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Colorado Springs, CO

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at USAA.

I applied on line a few weeks before getting out of the military. I did the online assessments, phone interview, in person interview. I'm almost 100% sure the only reason I got the offer is because I am a combat Vet. Out of the 18 people they hired in my group, I was the only one without a college degree.

Interview Questions
    • They asked me to sell them a phone. It was weird and uncomfortable having to give a sales pitch. If I didn't need the job I would have walked out right then and there.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation. It was take it or leave it.