USAA Interview Questions & Reviews

2.8

Financial Foundations Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I interviewed online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at USAA in May 2014.

Phone interview, followed by phone interview, drug testing, on line assessment, and background check. Final interview with HR mgr and dept mgr at home site. Less than one hour to complete.

Interview Questions
    • Pretending to be a travel agent and overcoming objections that have nothing to do with insurance.   Answer Question

Quantitative Risk Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Antonio, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at USAA in April 2014.

I applied online. About a week and a half later, I was contacted by a recruiter about the position. I had to take an online analyst assessment, which took about 45 minutes. It wasn't too bad. Following the assessment, I was set up with a phone interview, which was rather informal. The following Friday, I was brought out for an on-site interview. This consisted of 5 separate interviews with different team members. The next Monday, the recruiter contacted me with a job offer and I accepted.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked about how to develop a forecasting model given a a set of economic factors and limited years of available data.   Answer Question
    I am coming straight out of a PhD program, so there was little room for negotiation. Their offer was in line with other offers I'd received for similar positions.

Property Adjuster Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Tampa, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at USAA in November 2010.

They begin with a phone interview, then a 30 minute in person interview. The in person is in front of 2 people with 1 typing every word you say. Then they do an intensive background check including a drug test.

Interview Questions
    • This was a very easy interview. USAA is not the home of intelligence.   Answer Question
    They tell you during the phone interview what they are willing to pay. It was a take it or leave it situation. No room for quick advancement for woman once hired.

Financial Advisor Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  San Antonio, TX
    Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I interviewed online - interviewed at USAA in December 2013.

Apply on line. If they are interested they will send you an email to take a basic skills test. If I remember leaning toward some financial questions. Second I got a call to set up a telephone interview. The phone interview wasn't to difficult, I think it was more of a screening process. Then came drug testing and background check. The group panel was a little weird, because one of them is typing while you are answering a interview question. It can disrupt your train of thought if you are not focused.

Interview Questions
    • How did you handle something difficult you encountered in your previous job   Answer Question

Financial Foundation Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Tampa, FL
    Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

I interviewed online. The process took 4 days - interviewed at USAA in March 2014.

After applying online at usaa.com, I was directed to complete two follow-on assessments. After passing the assessments online, I was contacted by a recruiter via phone who asked more sales-related questions about my sales history. After that interview with the recruiter, another phone interview was set up with a hiring manager to conduct another interview.

Interview Questions
    • They mostly just asked sales experience related questions, about experience with up-selling and cross-selling products.   Answer Question

The pay was not enough for me, I was offered 34,000 per year and that was the highest they could offer me.

Inside Adjuster III Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at USAA.

Received email to complete typing test and additional questions. Received email to confirm phone interview.

Interview Questions
    • What is an example that you had to deliver unfavorable information to an individual and how did you handle it.   Answer Question
    No negotiation. Pay was predetermined.

Financial Advisor Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at USAA.

The process is pretty straight forward. I didn't the online application first, several days later received an email about the online assessment test. The test was pretty common sense, some basic math questions and logic questions. Make sure you are in a quiet place when you take the assessment, there are some audio questions at the end. The idea is to mimic the condition you will be in later on, answering client calls and help them with their particular needs. I don't think you can really prepare for that, just pay attention to callers name and account number, they only say it once.

About couple days later, I got an email for phone interview. And the process was simple, basically just going through your pervious jobs, education and background. At this point they haven't ask any financial questions yet, they are just trying to get some idea about personal characters. I feel like they pay a lot attention on your voice and tone, it makes sense because all the business will be conduct over the phone later on. At the end, they actually scheduled the face to face interview with me.

The face to face interview is more formal. There are two people, one is from HR department, one is the hiring manager. They actually will type in all your answers in the computer, which made it a little comfortable for me, but not a big deal if you are not focusing on the typing noises. Very typical interview questions they will ask, strengths, weaknesses, previous boss comments, very typical. There will be couple scenarios, but not role play. They will give you clients information and ask what questions would you ask them, what products they need. Just be slow, don't rush the answers, they understand you need some time to think about it. Yes, make sure bring a pen and notebook. First it makes you look more professional and prepared, second, you can put down scenario information.

I did got an offer several days later, but I just couldn't late hours and Saturdays. They are open about it, when you first get in, you will get those not so favorable shifts.

This process is relatively pleasant and I do think it's a comfortable place for advisor who doesn't want to network and build their own business. Bottom line, all the clients are not attached to advisors at all, they are companies clients, and you get a salary for your work.

USAA IT College Hire Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  San Antonio, TX
    Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I interviewed through college or university - interviewed at USAA in September 2013.

usual interview behavioral questions, then "test" problems/questions to see how innovative you can be. the interviewer was genuinely nice, and the interview was pretty casual.

IT Intern Interview

I talked to their recruiters at a career fair at my school. They called me shortly after the career fair was over and invited me to a dinner with other potential recruits at a steak house the following evening. Prior to the dinner, I was also invited to the first interview.

The dinner was mostly informational (it was not an interview), though the person who eventually interviewed me was there. They mainly told us about the company, the interview process, and what to expect.

They recommend "business professional dress" for the interview, so have a suit and tie ahead of time, because the process moves pretty quickly at the beginning (they fly their recruiters in for the job fairs and want to get bang for their buck).

For the interview, it was an hour long with three behavioral questions (If you find a list of a few dozen behavioral questions online, they will probably be on there), three analytical questions (come up with something innovative given a certain scenario, design something that does something, etc).

After that, it was about two weeks before I was invited to a second interview. They fly you out to San Antonio, put you up in a nice hotel. There's a dinner the night before where you get to meet with some managers from the company. The next morning (early) they shuttle you from the hotel to the USAA Campus, serve breakfast, and then the interviews begin.

The second interview is almost identical to the first one, the only real difference is there are two people in the interview instead of one, and the questions are the same format, but different.

After that, they serve lunch, have various people come and speak about the company, internship program, etc, and give a tour of the campus (it is huge).

I was extended an offer about three weeks later.

Interview Questions
    • Recall a time when you were in a situation where things weren't going well and no one was doing anything about it. What did you do?   Answer Question

Financial Foundations Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Antonio, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

I interviewed online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at USAA.

I applied to USAA through the Careers section online. Applied on January 3rd but didn't get an email back until February 15th for the assessment, took about 40 minutes. The assessment basically measures common sense, typing skills, customer relation scenarios, personality test and so on. The next day I got a call asking if I would be interested in taking a phone interview. It was scheduled for the next day.

During the phone interview an HR Rep reviewed the job description along with when the training class would start. She went over my job experiences, what I learned from each job and why I left each job. She asked if the start date would be a problem and if I had plans to travel or have time off within the first 6 months. I did have a trip planned but I informed her I would not mind cancelling it if I got the job. She proceeded to ask me numerous What would you do if. . . and tell me about a time that . . . Once we finished with the 20 minute phone interview she asked me if I would be available to have a face-to-face interview with 2 hiring managers. She suggested that I mention my current GPA and mention my schooling in my next interview. I agreed I would be available the next day and was told I needed to go get a drug test as well as complete the background check information through a link that was emailed to me. I had 24 hours to get the drug test done if not I would be withdrawn from the process.

The face-to-face interview was with two managers. One was asking all the interview questions as the other just notated everything I was answering. At first they wanted to get to know me as a person. Asked of what my days consisted of, what hobbies I had, what I looked for in a company. She then went ahead and started asking me 4 main questions of what would you do if. . . and how would you handle . . . She stated some questions could be repeated from when the HR Rep had the interview with me but to try to provide different scenarios. Once we finished the 40 minute face-to-face interview she went over the training information, job description and more about the company as a whole.

That same day HireRight (the company that is contracted to do the background check) emailed me for paystubs of my current job, proof of start date and asked me to email them signed form to be able to release all the information found to USAA. That day I also got an email from my credit monitoring system that they had ran my credit. After that my status online remained as "interview in progress" for about 3 - 4 weeks.

I finally received an email from the HR Rep that did my phone interview stating she needed to speak to me and asked for a good time for her to call me. Once she got a hold me she informed me the training class which was in a week had to be rescheduled for another 2 weeks but that they wanted to offer me a position. She provided me with the offering salary as well as the bonus amounts and other benefits. She then sent me an email with the offer and a link which I had to accept or deny.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me what your typical day consists of.   View Answer
    There is a range pay for each position. Based on your experience and education they tell you what you will be getting paid.