USAA

Relevance Date Difficulty

Financial Foundation Associate Interview

Financial Foundation Associate
Tampa, FL

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at USAA in March 2014.

Interview Details – After applying online at usaa.com, I was directed to complete two follow-on assessments. After passing the assessments online, I was contacted by a recruiter via phone who asked more sales-related questions about my sales history. After that interview with the recruiter, another phone interview was set up with a hiring manager to conduct another interview.

Interview Question – They mostly just asked sales experience related questions, about experience with up-selling and cross-selling products.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – The pay was not enough for me, I was offered 34,000 per year and that was the highest they could offer me.

Inside Adjuster III Interview

Inside Adjuster III

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at USAA.

Interview Details – Received email to complete typing test and additional questions. Received email to confirm phone interview.

Interview Question – What is an example that you had to deliver unfavorable information to an individual and how did you handle it.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. Pay was predetermined.

Financial Advisor Interview

Financial Advisor
Dallas, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at USAA.

Interview Details – The process is pretty straight forward. I didn't the online application first, several days later received an email about the online assessment test. The test was pretty common sense, some basic math questions and logic questions. Make sure you are in a quiet place when you take the assessment, there are some audio questions at the end. The idea is to mimic the condition you will be in later on, answering client calls and help them with their particular needs. I don't think you can really prepare for that, just pay attention to callers name and account number, they only say it once.

About couple days later, I got an email for phone interview. And the process was simple, basically just going through your pervious jobs, education and background. At this point they haven't ask any financial questions yet, they are just trying to get some idea about personal characters. I feel like they pay a lot attention on your voice and tone, it makes sense because all the business will be conduct over the phone later on. At the end, they actually scheduled the face to face interview with me.

The face to face interview is more formal. There are two people, one is from HR department, one is the hiring manager. They actually will type in all your answers in the computer, which made it a little comfortable for me, but not a big deal if you are not focusing on the typing noises. Very typical interview questions they will ask, strengths, weaknesses, previous boss comments, very typical. There will be couple scenarios, but not role play. They will give you clients information and ask what questions would you ask them, what products they need. Just be slow, don't rush the answers, they understand you need some time to think about it. Yes, make sure bring a pen and notebook. First it makes you look more professional and prepared, second, you can put down scenario information.

I did got an offer several days later, but I just couldn't late hours and Saturdays. They are open about it, when you first get in, you will get those not so favorable shifts.

This process is relatively pleasant and I do think it's a comfortable place for advisor who doesn't want to network and build their own business. Bottom line, all the clients are not attached to advisors at all, they are companies clients, and you get a salary for your work.

Interview Question – No unexpected questions.   Answer Question

USAA IT College Hire Interview

USAA IT College Hire
San Antonio, TX

I applied through college or university - interviewed at USAA in September 2013.

Interview Details – usual interview behavioral questions, then "test" problems/questions to see how innovative you can be. the interviewer was genuinely nice, and the interview was pretty casual.

Interview Question – how would you change how elevators work?   Answer Question

IT Intern Interview

IT Intern

Interviewed at USAA

Interview Details – I talked to their recruiters at a career fair at my school. They called me shortly after the career fair was over and invited me to a dinner with other potential recruits at a steak house the following evening. Prior to the dinner, I was also invited to the first interview.

The dinner was mostly informational (it was not an interview), though the person who eventually interviewed me was there. They mainly told us about the company, the interview process, and what to expect.

They recommend "business professional dress" for the interview, so have a suit and tie ahead of time, because the process moves pretty quickly at the beginning (they fly their recruiters in for the job fairs and want to get bang for their buck).

For the interview, it was an hour long with three behavioral questions (If you find a list of a few dozen behavioral questions online, they will probably be on there), three analytical questions (come up with something innovative given a certain scenario, design something that does something, etc).

After that, it was about two weeks before I was invited to a second interview. They fly you out to San Antonio, put you up in a nice hotel. There's a dinner the night before where you get to meet with some managers from the company. The next morning (early) they shuttle you from the hotel to the USAA Campus, serve breakfast, and then the interviews begin.

The second interview is almost identical to the first one, the only real difference is there are two people in the interview instead of one, and the questions are the same format, but different.

After that, they serve lunch, have various people come and speak about the company, internship program, etc, and give a tour of the campus (it is huge).

I was extended an offer about three weeks later.

Interview Question – Recall a time when you were in a situation where things weren't going well and no one was doing anything about it. What did you do?   Answer Question

Financial Foundations Associate Interview

Financial Foundations Associate
San Antonio, TX

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at USAA.

Interview Details – I applied to USAA through the Careers section online. Applied on January 3rd but didn't get an email back until February 15th for the assessment, took about 40 minutes. The assessment basically measures common sense, typing skills, customer relation scenarios, personality test and so on. The next day I got a call asking if I would be interested in taking a phone interview. It was scheduled for the next day.

During the phone interview an HR Rep reviewed the job description along with when the training class would start. She went over my job experiences, what I learned from each job and why I left each job. She asked if the start date would be a problem and if I had plans to travel or have time off within the first 6 months. I did have a trip planned but I informed her I would not mind cancelling it if I got the job. She proceeded to ask me numerous What would you do if. . . and tell me about a time that . . . Once we finished with the 20 minute phone interview she asked me if I would be available to have a face-to-face interview with 2 hiring managers. She suggested that I mention my current GPA and mention my schooling in my next interview. I agreed I would be available the next day and was told I needed to go get a drug test as well as complete the background check information through a link that was emailed to me. I had 24 hours to get the drug test done if not I would be withdrawn from the process.

The face-to-face interview was with two managers. One was asking all the interview questions as the other just notated everything I was answering. At first they wanted to get to know me as a person. Asked of what my days consisted of, what hobbies I had, what I looked for in a company. She then went ahead and started asking me 4 main questions of what would you do if. . . and how would you handle . . . She stated some questions could be repeated from when the HR Rep had the interview with me but to try to provide different scenarios. Once we finished the 40 minute face-to-face interview she went over the training information, job description and more about the company as a whole.

That same day HireRight (the company that is contracted to do the background check) emailed me for paystubs of my current job, proof of start date and asked me to email them signed form to be able to release all the information found to USAA. That day I also got an email from my credit monitoring system that they had ran my credit. After that my status online remained as "interview in progress" for about 3 - 4 weeks.

I finally received an email from the HR Rep that did my phone interview stating she needed to speak to me and asked for a good time for her to call me. Once she got a hold me she informed me the training class which was in a week had to be rescheduled for another 2 weeks but that they wanted to offer me a position. She provided me with the offering salary as well as the bonus amounts and other benefits. She then sent me an email with the offer and a link which I had to accept or deny.

Interview Question – Tell me what your typical day consists of.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There is a range pay for each position. Based on your experience and education they tell you what you will be getting paid.

Quality Assurance Specialist-Mortgage Interview

Quality Assurance Specialist-Mortgage
San Antonio, TX

I applied through other source and the process took 1 week - interviewed at USAA in March 2014.

Interview Details – Once I applied, I was selected for a Manager interview which consisted of 5 behavioral based questions. The interview itself lasted about 45 minutes, and at the end you are able to ask as many questions as you would like. I will note that they have another employee (typically a senior) in the room typing all of your answers.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you took initiative and demonstrated leadership.
What do you do better that others seem to struggle with?
Tell me about a time when you encountered a difficult situation; what did you do to overcome it?
What do you do in order to prioritize your work?
  Answer Question

Auto Adjuster III Interview

Auto Adjuster III
Chesapeake, VA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at USAA in April 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online. Received an email from my HR contact, giving me specific instructions to complete an online assessment (questions and typing test). You have only 48 to complete it. Then had a phone interview and then a interview with 2 managers on-site.

Interview Question – Most questions were describing stressful situations and how I handled them. Be ready to give examples. The unexpected question was: Explain a time you brought a group of people together & Explain a time you failed   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. The HR contact tells you the salary in the in-phone interview. The salary was exactly what glass door says. So I was not surprised.

Member Service Representative Interview

Member Service Representative

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at USAA.

Interview Details – Applied for a few positions. I finally had an email to take an assessment. About a week later I had a phone interview, then was scheduled the next day for a manager interview. I thought it went well considering they sent me on a drug test. Called today to give the recruiter some information (more than a week after interview) and was told I was not being hired. Glad they never bothered to tell me. I guess talk a lot they apparently want you to ramble on or you are to quite in their opinion. Its called being professional not quite.

Interview Question – Tell us about a time you had to have people work together   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Project Manager
San Antonio, TX

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at USAA in April 2010.

Interview Details – Pretty straight forward. Phone interview was very general, no surprises. F2F interview was a panel of Directors who asked a lot of questions around PPM systems and practices. No surprises there either.

Negotiation Details – They made an offer, I countered and they accepted. Pretty easy. Took about 3 days.