USAA

Updated Dec 15, 2014
Updated Dec 15, 2014

2.8

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at USAA in July 2014.

I applied in June of 2014 for the June, July, and August classes. It took about 2 weeks until I received an email which asked me to take an assessment (on a Tuesday) and I received a call the next day to schedule me for an interview on Thursday. I was contacted promptly by USAA HR at the scheduled time and the interview lasted about 25 minutes. The questions were pretty standard for any first round interview. In the beginning of the interview they pretty much tell you the starting pay and the hours required to work and then get into the questions. It was pretty smooth for me. At the end of the interview the HR manager told me that they wanted to pass me along to the next round interview on campus with Hiring Managers. They gave me some feedback to prepare myself for the interview. My interview was scheduled the following Thursday, a week later. I was then emailed by the HR Manager with the interview details along with instructions to complete a background check and a drug screening. I made sure to arrive early for my interview since you have to go through security and the campus is quite large. The interview is with 2 Hiring Mangers, one typing and the other mainly asking questions. Both of them made me feel very welcome and comfortable. Once again standard interview questions. At the end of the interview I was told I would hear from the HR Manager in 3 business days. It took 2 business days and I was called with a job offer and sent an email with the official offer. Pretty smooth process overall and I am excited to start my training soon.

Interview Questions
    • You are asked a few questions in the SBO (Situation, Behavior, Outcome) format. Make sure you give details about the situation, how you felt and others felt during the situation, and then how it was resolved.   Answer Question
    No negotiation. This is an entry level position and it has a set starting salary. Very good pay for starting pay.

Financial Foundations Associate (Work-at-home) Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at USAA in July 2014.

There were test, interviews, background checks, drug test. It was difficult and uncomfortable. They don't pay very well. There are two interviews, one with a HR rep, and the other with two hiring managers. They expect a lot out of you for very little pay.

Interview Questions
    • From start to finish this has been the most extensive interviewing process I have ever gone through. I’ve interviewed for professional/executive type positions from sales, to medical, to human resources, and nothing has compared to this process. This is definitely a long, tedious measure for such a low position. The way these proceedings went you would think I was applying to be a director at a hospital or something. I mean this is ridiculous.
      My application was filled out online July 2nd. I received an email days later to take an assessment and a personality test. This was very extensive. At the end of the assessment, they ask you to take practice calls with a recording. If you pass, you move on. I did. I received a call August 6th to schedule an interview with a human resources recruiter. I completed that first interview with HR. The questions asked were easy: what is your availability? Can you offer a quiet/distraction free work area in your house? Are you available for training in Killeen? Tell me about your work experience. Can you work every Saturday? Tell me about yourself, ect. ect. ect….This interview lasted about 20 minutes.
      Then I received another call about 2 days later to schedule my interview with the hiring managers. I had it scheduled for Aug 21. On Tuesday Aug 19th I received an email with instructions to fill out a background check application (which is quite a process in itself) they needed documentation of everything. They use a company called Hire Right. This company is terrible and pretty much make you do your own background check. USAA is wasting money by using them. Then I received an email with an appointment to take a drug test.
      On the 21st my interview happened over the phone with two hiring managers. One was asking the questions and the other was taking notes. This interview lasted an hour. It was very “formalish” and uptight. The interviews did not use any technique to make you feel comfortable.
      The questions in the first 30 minutes: What is your perception of a call center? Tell me what you liked about your job? What did you not like about it? What is your experience with sales? What would your previous employer critique or criticize you about? What is your sales style? How do you approach selling something or a service to someone? If we called people you worked with in the past what would they say about you? What are your thoughts about this job, tell me what you think it will be like? What are your thoughts on USAA? How are you prepared for this position, i.e. does everyone in the family know you cannot be bothered at work, do you have a private area in your house? What have you done in the past that can prepare you for this type of work? What kind of problems do you think you will face with this job being a call center type job?
      Then the formal behavioral based questioned took up the rest of the interview, along with a more detailed explanation of the job. Questions: Tell me a time you had to sell something to someone who had objections? Tell me a time you had to handle a disgruntled customer? Tell me a time you had to make changes from the normal way of doing things to make a sale? Tell me a time that you sold something? There were too many questions to remember all of them. But that’s the jist of it.
      A couple of days later I was offered the job over the phone by the HR recruiter. She offered me 34,000 a year. I accepted.

Answer Question
    Not able to negotiate. I met all of their "preferred" rather than minimum requirements and qualifications and was still only offered 34,000 a year. I have two degrees a B.A. and A.S, I am a veteran, a military spouse, with years of experience, compared to just a spouse with a H.S. diploma and yet we make the same amount of money.

Financial Advisor III Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at USAA in July 2014.

Went to a meet and greet, hooked up with a recruiter who scheduled an interview with me.

Two interviewers, one who asked questions, and the other who typed on a computer, chewing gum the entire time. Not an overwhelming welcoming environment.

Interview Questions
    • husband and wife walk into your office. They are both 30 years old. They have a 1 year old, 10k in savings, 6k in credit card debt. What three questions do you ask them?

they then provided more information on the scenario and asked for three recommendations.

Answer Question

Paralegal Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at USAA in July 2014.

Contacted by recruiter and scheduled for phone interview with hiring attorney/director and other inhouse attorney. Phone interview lasted about 30 minutes. The position is remote so it was necessary to go onsite. After consulting with general counsel and recruiter, an offer was made.

Interview Questions
    there was no negotiation.

Claims Adjuster Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at USAA in July 2014.

Applied online, process didn't take very long. About a week later I got an email to set up a phone interview the following week. I did the phone interview and everything seem to go great. It took two days to receive an email saying I was NOT selected to move forward with the interview and all the other three different positions I had applied for were also changed to NOT selected.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you had to make a difficult notification.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

I applied online – interviewed at USAA.

Hiring process was pretty straight forward. Initial interview with recruiter followed by an interview at the facility with two managers. Whole process took about a month. One manager asked questions while the or he took notes.

Interview Questions

The salary was lower than I was looking for and I felt like the opportunity for time off down the road was slim. I just wanted to know that in case of an emergency with my kids I would be supported. When I questioned that with the recruiter I never heard back.

Auto Adjuster II Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at USAA.

Interview for entry was based on how well you answered questions about USAA core values. All answers should be in a behavioral format: situation, behavior, outcome. The company is all about finding the perfect fit. To get promoted have a strong understanding of current position and have complete well thought out answers. management is there to help you prepare for advancement and there are other employees dedicated to interviewing skills and resume updates.

Interview Questions
    There is no negotiating. USAA knows they are the best and it is foolish to decline

Financial Foundations Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at USAA in June 2014.

Was an easy process, applied online, got sent the assessment via email one week later and completed same day to get a call 2 days later for phone interview the next day, face to face interview the next day then the next week was offered the position.

Wealth Advisor III Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Addison, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Addison, TX

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at USAA in June 2014.

Applied online, and soon received a request to complete an online assessment. The assesment is done through a third-party vendor and is comprised of basic skills questions designed to discern whether you have a half brain or more. Also there is an online call-center simulation complete with a computer screen dashboard and audio of callers. Soon after this, I received an automated email indicating my application was incomplete and terminated. Then I received a voicemail from a recruiter telling me that was inaccurate and to please follow through with the application process and we could schedule a phone interview. Did the phone interview and was told that she would run it by the hiring board in the upcoming meeting and then let me know whether they want to do a full interview. She called me back and told me they wanted to interview me and would fly me to Dallas. At the interview there were two managers. One asked questions mostly, and the other typed my responses in a desktop. The format was ok. The interview process seems a little bit top-down in it's design - as in I imagine they probably feed the typed data into some kind of spreadsheet and then a whole hiring board selects the candidate based on scores. Just my hunch but certainly I could be wrong.
    One quirky thing that happened: The room we were in had a conference call telephone and an outside call rang in on it twice. The two managers looked at each other dumbfounded as to why a call would be ringing on this line. They answered the calls (on speaker) and it was a woman on a cell phone trying to call USAA Auto Insurance Claims to give her account of a motor vehicle accident she witnessed. They tried to forward her call but it rang back in on that phone. I felt good about myself not missing a beat in the conversation, even though the interviewers seemed quite thrown off.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time that you had a disagreement with your superiors. How did you resolve the situation?   Answer Question

Claims Representative Interview

Received call after 4 months since applying , went through two phone interview , first was with HR then second was with department manager, after that was sent a drug screen kit and background check authorization form. two weeks later received offer. Offer accepted.

No negotiation needed.