USAA

Relevance Date Difficulty

Claims Adjuster Interview

Claims Adjuster
San Antonio, TX

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at USAA.

Interview Details – After the application was filled out online I received an email to complete an online assessment. That consisted of a typing test and a "which best describes you" questionnaire. After this I was given a phone interview. The phone interview was questions such as: Tell me a time you had to deal with a difficult customer?, Tell me a time a decision didn't go as planned.
After the phone interview you go for a drug test and schedule an in-person interview. The in-person interview were essentially the same questions. During this process you are going through a background check also.

Interview Question – Tell me a time you led a group of people to reach a common goal.   Answer Question

Auto Adjuster III Interview

Auto Adjuster III

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at USAA.

Interview Details – I applied to USAA on a weekend via their website and heard back within a week about setting up a phone interview. The phone interview was very simple and straightforward. I mainly remember them asking about customer service (how you've demonstrated customer service, how you've gone above and beyond for a customer). There were only a few questions and the rest was just the HR rep giving background about the position like salary, work hours, benefits, etc. The woman was very nice, helpful, and polite. We set up my manager interview and a drug test. She knew from my application that I was a recent college graduate and gave me some advice for using my college experience in my interview since my work experience was part time.

My manager interview went very well. It was with 2 managers, but only one asked questions while the other transcribed. These again were very simple, typical interview questions and focused on customer service. There were 5 (he told me there would be 5 at the beginning) and most were worded as "Tell me about a time you..." including a time you delivered great customer service, a time you couldn't give a customer what they want, etc. After you give your answer, they will often ask follow up questions so be prepared to elaborate. I was then given the opportunity to ask the managers questions, which I did, and they seemed to really appreciate that. I was then given a tour of the office before ending the meeting.

At the interview I was given a date where we would hear back (either via phone call if we were offered a position or email if we were not). This date did not hold because of bad weather however. After not hearing back for a while, I emailed the HR rep and she called me to say that the training class had been downsized and unfortunately I was the one person who got cut. However, she said I would be a backup in case anyone decided to back out at the last minute. She also told me about an upcoming job opportunity in a similar position and told me should work with me and the HR rep for that position because the managers had been really impressed with my interview. I really appreciated her going this extra mile when she could have just told me I didn't get the job and left it at that. Ultimately, I was called back a week later at the last minute and offered the position because someone had dropped out.

All in all I was very impressed with USAA's hiring process. The only "snag" I hit was with HireRight, the company they use to do background checks for them. My USAA background check rep was very helpful, but the HireRight employees were less so and that process seemed very drawn out.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time you were in charge of a group/team   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation, from the initial phone interview they were very clear about the salary.

Financial Foundations Associate Interview

Financial Foundations Associate
Colorado Springs, CO

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at USAA in December 2013.

Interview Details – Interview process went very quickly. I submitted my application and was contacted the same day. I completed all my interviews within a 2 week period. But the background check took a while. They are very thorough with conducting the background checks, which is a good thing, but can be lengthy. The interview questions were situation based, but that is pretty common. Nothing too difficult.

Interview Question – Situation Based Interview Questions   Answer Question

Marketing Research Analyst - Intern Interview

Marketing Research Analyst - Intern

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at USAA in March 2014.

Interview Details – I applied for the Marketing Research Analyst Internship position through the USAA website. Several months later, I was contacted for an interview via a Skype-like service. I underwent two interviews, each lasting for approximately thirty minutes with two to three hiring representatives from different departments in USAA. I researched and prepared answers to common interview questions ahead of time, so I was able to answer quickly and with confidence. A week or so later, I was contacted again to set-up a phone conversation regarding feedback and the position. After receiving more information about the position and accepting their offer, I asked any remaining questions I had.

Interview Question – Describe a difficult situation and how you overcame it.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Considering this was for an internship position and not an offer for full-time employment, I declined to negotiate. I researched the expected hourly rate ahead of time and did state I expected my salary to fall within that range.

Claims Adjuster Interview

Claims Adjuster
Colorado Springs, CO

I applied online - interviewed at USAA in January 2014.

Interview Details – I applied on and I was required to take an assessment test. Then, I had to fill out another preliminary application. This process took about 2 weeks. Afterwards, I received an e-mail and had 24 hours to complete a urine test at a location by my house (the only reason this was stressful was because my husband had surgery, but regardless, I had to take the test and I passed it but then I had to run back to the hospital). I had a phone interview which I passed and then a second interview with two hiring managers. One of the hiring managers wasn't able to attend but the interview was still pretty relaxed and comfortable. Then, I had to go through a verification process through hire-right and had to send them copies of my W2 as well as a criminal history form for them to collect information from my home state. I received an offer via e-mail and was directed to a website to either accept or decline.

Interview Question – The questions were pretty straightforward:
1) What do you know about claims adjusting and this particular position?
2) Do you have any experience in adjusting?
3) Tell me about a time a customer was upset and how you handled the situation?
4) Have you ever had to deliver unexpected or upsetting news?
5) Why do you want to work for USAA?
6) What are your career goals?
  Answer Question

Developer Intern Interview

Developer Intern
Plano, TX

I applied through college or university and interviewed at USAA.

Interview Details – Only Technical questions. Given a sheet of questions and each questions had 5 mins to answer them.
The difficulty level was medium.

Interview Question – Regarding resume and few technical questions.   Answer Question

Financial Advisor Interview

Financial Advisor
Colorado Springs, CO

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at USAA in February 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online and it took about 2 weeks before I heard back. I was then emailed and instructed to complete a few assessments online, the typical questionnaires and tests. A few days later I was emailed to schedule a phone interview. Immediately after my phone interview I was offered a in person interview at the local campus with the HR manager. The interview with the manager was about 30 mins long. Questions were geared towards past work experience and how you would be able to fit this job. Shortly after the manager interview I was emailed yet again and asked to go and complete a drug screen as well as give permission for them to run a through background check. It took another 2 weeks before I heard back and was offered the position. This was a very professional interview process, just very thorough!!

Interview Question – All the questions were as expected just be up to date with your resume and how your past experience can relate to the position you are applying for   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Unfortunately had to decline because the week following my last interview we were informed my husband was deploying and you are asked not to take any leave for the first 6 weeks of training.

Financial Foundations Specialist Interview

Financial Foundations Specialist

I applied online - interviewed at USAA in February 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online to several positions and got rejections for most of them. Then finally i received an email with an assessment. I completed it and it took about 3 weeks for me to receive another email with a date and time for a phone interview. I have completed my phone interview yesterday. It wasnt too difficult just questions about my previous positions and why I left. No give me a "specific time" questions. My recruiter went over benefits, schedule and pay and asked if I needed to take time off for the next 3 months. At the end she said she will forward the information to a manager and decisions are made by the end of the week. I felt that the interview went okay, but after seeing some of the previous comments I am not too sure anymore. We shall see!!

Interview Question – Do you have any questions for me?   Answer Question

Auto Adjuster III Interview

Auto Adjuster III
Chesapeake, VA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at USAA in January 2013.

Interview Details – This was a strenuous interview process, mostly because it was tedious and lengthy. After completing the screening I was contacted to complete an application and several online assessments to include a typing test. I was then invited to complete a telephone interview with a HR representative about three weeks later. At the completion of the telephone interview I was told that I would be a candidate for an in-person interview with two interviewers at the local campus where I would be employed. I was also to initiate the background screening. This is where the tedious task list begins. Due to this being a position where a license is require there are strict background checks to include drug screening, credit check, fingerprinting, etc. Be prepared to pay for a notary for documentation and fingerprinting by the state police. You may have to provide W2's for any previous employers who are no longer in business. This interview process was very detailed with the background screening, however the interview questions were very straight forward and traditional based on your background, why you want to work for this employer, employment consistency and why you left former employers or want to leave.

I completed the application in November, had the telephone interview in December, group interview was in January and received an offer the end of the month.

The training date is most likely on the job posting.

Interview Question – Give an example of a time when you had to deliver bad news to a client. Where do you see yourself in the company within five years?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – The salary is based on experience and current or past licenses. This information was provided early during the application process, the salary was given and you must agree that you are willing to accept that pay. It was also reiterated during the telephone interview with the HR representative who confirmed that pay is acceptable.

Claims Representative Interview

Claims Representative

The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at USAA.

Interview Details – Very long interviewing process. Once application is filled you will receive a call to go over some general questions. Then a few days later you may receive another call to determine if you are eligible to come in for some testing. Once you have made it past the phone interviews you get to go to USAA to take your personality test, typing test, mock questions in a CSR scenario. If you make it past that HR will call you back (after what could be several weeks) and ask you to come in to meet with management. This interview lasts about 45 minutes and you are asked questions about your personal life, life experiences, and how you would handle this position.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself within the company in the next 5 years.   Answer Question
  • What is the most difficult news you have had to deliver to someone and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was given an offer that I believed was fair, but you are able to negotiate.