USAA

2.8

127 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

I applied through college or university – interviewed at USAA.

I had a phone interview and a second interview on-site. The phone interview was very laid-back. The questions are mostly based on how you solve problems not coding questions. The second interview was very similar. They ask a lot of "How would you solve this problem" and "Tell me about a time" questions. They also ask 3 questions that evaluate your developer skills, 1 was "Tell me an innovation that would better the customer experience during accident claims"

Interview Questions
    • The innovation question was kinda difficult because it caught me off guard.   Answer Question

I was offered an internship somewhere else and I accepted that one instead.

Risk Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at USAA.

Applied through university career website. Was contacted by university relations for a phone interview within a week. Phone interview was approximately 40 minutes, consisted of open-ended questions such as "tell me about yourself and about what you do at school", and then more behavioral questions such as "tell me about a time when...". Interview was very casual and seemed to be geared towards informing me about the company and further steps in the interview process.

After about a week, received a request to attend final-round interview in San Antonio. I was flown in and attended a pre-interview dinner with candidates for various internship positions and employees from different parts of the company. The next morning, the other candidates and I were taken to the company's main campus for breakfast, a building tour, an individual interview, and finally a presentation on employee benefits.

The individual interview was a very casual and comfortable process. Each candidate was sent off to interview with 1 or 2 senior employees. To my surprise, this interview was exclusively behavioral in nature and was described as solely intended to determine the candidate's fit with the company culture, as the best of the best had already been selected through the resume drop.

While the position is open to people from various business or math backgrounds, it seems that the majority of the people who work in Risk Management-type positions at USAA are very analytical and technical people with PhDs or Master's Degrees in statistics or mathematics. This could potentially be very offputting for someone who comes from a less analytical background, especially while having to socialize for long periods of time with those employees during the in-person interview process.

Overall, the company seems to have a very welcoming and personable culture. The culture is, of course, also very military oriented and appears to carry a hierarchical system of rank and respect which is not found in other companies.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you made a large transition in your life and how you handled it with many things going on at the same time.   Answer Question

I received an offer from another company for a similar position in which the pros outweighed the cons more so than with this position. The other company is larger and does not serve a niche market, so it offers its opportunities in several hubs around the country. To the best of my knowledge, a career in risk analysis with USAA requires relocation to San Antonio, at least in the early stages of your career. While this was not necessarily a factor in my decision, the other company also offered a higher wage. However, USAA has an amazing benefits package and its San Antonio campus can only be described as something out of your wildest dreams. I would describe the company as very state-of-the-art, tech-savvy and "cool".

Auto Adjuster II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at USAA.

Initial application filled out. Called by HR. Arranged phone interview with HR. Three days later offered to interview with department managers. One week later offered the position. Took drug test and went thru background which took about 25 days to complete. Final offer verbally and in writing. Offer accepted.

Interview Questions
    • How did you deal with a complex claims issue with a long time customer.   View Answer
    No negotiation. They offer what they know your talent is worth.

IT Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

I applied through college or university – interviewed at USAA in October 2014.

Found out about opportunity through university career fairs (they do alot of work with university relations). They have 2 interviews and always have 3 specific questions - one problem solving, one logical, and one creative. The problem solving is something like given a set of clues, can you figure out the solution to the problem? The logical question is coming up with a design, key features, or capabilities that a certain new product would need (innovative thinking). The creative questions is similar and asks you to come up with a unique solution or design to solve a certain problem at hand. All are very easy-going and do not require intense programming skills. They don't ask you to write code or anything like that. The interview is behavioral based and measures your personality as a fit to their culture.

Interview Questions
    • The design and logical questions (described above) was what I thought was most challenging. They are looking for certain key words from your answer.   Answer Question

Financial Foundations Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at USAA in July 2014.

I applied in June of 2014 for the June, July, and August classes. It took about 2 weeks until I received an email which asked me to take an assessment (on a Tuesday) and I received a call the next day to schedule me for an interview on Thursday. I was contacted promptly by USAA HR at the scheduled time and the interview lasted about 25 minutes. The questions were pretty standard for any first round interview. In the beginning of the interview they pretty much tell you the starting pay and the hours required to work and then get into the questions. It was pretty smooth for me. At the end of the interview the HR manager told me that they wanted to pass me along to the next round interview on campus with Hiring Managers. They gave me some feedback to prepare myself for the interview. My interview was scheduled the following Thursday, a week later. I was then emailed by the HR Manager with the interview details along with instructions to complete a background check and a drug screening. I made sure to arrive early for my interview since you have to go through security and the campus is quite large. The interview is with 2 Hiring Mangers, one typing and the other mainly asking questions. Both of them made me feel very welcome and comfortable. Once again standard interview questions. At the end of the interview I was told I would hear from the HR Manager in 3 business days. It took 2 business days and I was called with a job offer and sent an email with the official offer. Pretty smooth process overall and I am excited to start my training soon.

Interview Questions
    • You are asked a few questions in the SBO (Situation, Behavior, Outcome) format. Make sure you give details about the situation, how you felt and others felt during the situation, and then how it was resolved.   Answer Question
    No negotiation. This is an entry level position and it has a set starting salary. Very good pay for starting pay.

Paralegal Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at USAA in July 2014.

Contacted by recruiter and scheduled for phone interview with hiring attorney/director and other inhouse attorney. Phone interview lasted about 30 minutes. The position is remote so it was necessary to go onsite. After consulting with general counsel and recruiter, an offer was made.

Interview Questions
    there was no negotiation.

Financial Foundations Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at USAA.

I applied to USAA through the Careers section online. Applied on January 3rd but didn't get an email back until February 15th for the assessment, took about 40 minutes. The assessment basically measures common sense, typing skills, customer relation scenarios, personality test and so on. The next day I got a call asking if I would be interested in taking a phone interview. It was scheduled for the next day.

During the phone interview an HR Rep reviewed the job description along with when the training class would start. She went over my job experiences, what I learned from each job and why I left each job. She asked if the start date would be a problem and if I had plans to travel or have time off within the first 6 months. I did have a trip planned but I informed her I would not mind cancelling it if I got the job. She proceeded to ask me numerous What would you do if. . . and tell me about a time that . . . Once we finished with the 20 minute phone interview she asked me if I would be available to have a face-to-face interview with 2 hiring managers. She suggested that I mention my current GPA and mention my schooling in my next interview. I agreed I would be available the next day and was told I needed to go get a drug test as well as complete the background check information through a link that was emailed to me. I had 24 hours to get the drug test done if not I would be withdrawn from the process.

The face-to-face interview was with two managers. One was asking all the interview questions as the other just notated everything I was answering. At first they wanted to get to know me as a person. Asked of what my days consisted of, what hobbies I had, what I looked for in a company. She then went ahead and started asking me 4 main questions of what would you do if. . . and how would you handle . . . She stated some questions could be repeated from when the HR Rep had the interview with me but to try to provide different scenarios. Once we finished the 40 minute face-to-face interview she went over the training information, job description and more about the company as a whole.

That same day HireRight (the company that is contracted to do the background check) emailed me for paystubs of my current job, proof of start date and asked me to email them signed form to be able to release all the information found to USAA. That day I also got an email from my credit monitoring system that they had ran my credit. After that my status online remained as "interview in progress" for about 3 - 4 weeks.

I finally received an email from the HR Rep that did my phone interview stating she needed to speak to me and asked for a good time for her to call me. Once she got a hold me she informed me the training class which was in a week had to be rescheduled for another 2 weeks but that they wanted to offer me a position. She provided me with the offering salary as well as the bonus amounts and other benefits. She then sent me an email with the offer and a link which I had to accept or deny.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me what your typical day consists of.   View Answer
    There is a range pay for each position. Based on your experience and education they tell you what you will be getting paid.

Quantitative Risk Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at USAA in April 2014.

I applied online. About a week and a half later, I was contacted by a recruiter about the position. I had to take an online analyst assessment, which took about 45 minutes. It wasn't too bad. Following the assessment, I was set up with a phone interview, which was rather informal. The following Friday, I was brought out for an on-site interview. This consisted of 5 separate interviews with different team members. The next Monday, the recruiter contacted me with a job offer and I accepted.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked about how to develop a forecasting model given a a set of economic factors and limited years of available data.   Answer Question
    I am coming straight out of a PhD program, so there was little room for negotiation. Their offer was in line with other offers I'd received for similar positions.

Software Developer & Integrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at USAA in April 2014.

Two interviews, the first one with an technical manager, and the second (final) interview was with two senior managers. After the first interview, they booked us into a nice hotel in downtown San Antonio, took us to dinner, and then the next day they gave us a complete tour of the entire campus. It was between the tours that we did our final interviews.

Interview Questions
    • If you could design a more accessible/robust input interface to a computer, what would it be?   View Answer
    They give out sign on bonuses to those who ask for one, or those moving in from out of town. ASK FOR ONE. They give the people who worked there as interns an additional $2000 sign on bonus as well.

Inside Adjuster III Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at USAA.

First, I had an online assessment, then a phone interview. After the phone interview, I was asked to complete a drug test and background check. Then, I received an on-campus interview with 2 managers. One typed mainly and the other asked the questions. I received a call the next day offering me the position. I accepted it online and I start soon. It was a pretty straightforward, yet intimidating process!

Interview Questions
    • They were all difficult because I handle these on a daily basis--- name a time when you helped an upset customer, name a time you helped achieve a common goal, etc   Answer Question
    No negotiation but seems like a pretty fair salary so I didn't try.