USAA Software Developer Interview Questions & Reviews

2 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Plano, TX
Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

I interviewed online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at USAA in October 2013.

I applied online through the USAA website for one of several positions in their new Plano development office they are opening in 2014. Was contacted by someone in HR within two weeks and was scheduled for a day long interview at their office in Addison. I was one of ten people being interviewed that day and was never told by HR or any other USAA employee what position I was interviewing for. Only two people out of the group had been told which specific position they were interviewing for.

The first part of the interview you a paired up with the other candidates and placed at tables with several managers/project managers and developers and given instructions to complete a task together. Most of the tasks were around scrum practices (refining backlogs, prioritizing stories, etc) one was solving a large sudoku puzzle. The purpose was to see how you interact with the other candidates. After 4 rounds of this we were given lunch and then we started the individual technical interview.

The technical interview was with at least one manager and one developer. Most of the questions were Java related. There were 4 or 5 separate questions that required you to code or show a UML diagram on a whiteboard so be prepared for that. One of the whiteboard questions was poorly worded and neither the manager or developer could explain it well. There were several of the questions the developer admitted he didn't know the answer to or thought they were dumb questions to ask. The developer asked all the questions and was very friendly. The manager on the other hand sat at the table looking disinterested and was texting through 90% of the interview which was unprofessional. He definitely looked and acted like he was ready to head back to San Antonio. At the end of the interview they said they would contact everyone within two weeks and give a yes, no or maybe answer. A little longer than two weeks after my interview I received the generic thanks but no thanks email.

Interview Questions
  • There weren't really any oddball questions asked. Just be prepared to answer very low level java specific questions (which obscure method from an equally obscure library should you use for this specific use case). Also be prepared for several questions requiring the use of the whiteboard.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for USAA

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  San Antonio, TX
    Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

The process took 2 days - interviewed at USAA in March 2010.

Got invited to a pre-interview dinner the day before the actual interview. At the interview, they just asked behavioral questions. Then they emailed me for a final interview onsite. When we got there, there was another pre-interview dinner. The next day, two managers interviewed me. Its mostly situational questions, and behavioral questions. One logic question, just a math problem. And then they took us for a campus tour and thats it.

Interview Questions
    • Questions like 'if you are to teach several students a language you have never seen, how would you go about teaching it to the students'. Another one was "what is the greatest risk you've ever taken".   Answer Question

Worked for USAA? Contribute to the Community!