USG

2.3

Project Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at USG in January 2015.

Short screening interview over phone. No difficult questions. Then a plant visit, met the team and still no difficult questions. The interview process is just to make sure you fit in with the plant.

Interview Questions
    • General questions about your experiences.   View Answer

Electrician Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at USG in December 2014.

Applied through CareerBuilder.com and one week later received a phone interview. Once this was done it was two weeks before my second call was made. This time they invited me to come in and meet the electrical maintenance team. The interview was with the local HR lady, the electrical foreman, and a technician. The interview was easy enough asking about my skills and background in electrical maintenance.

Interview Questions

Pay was too low for an electrician in the Midwest. The starting pay was 23.47 an hour which is a good wage for middle America but a rather low one in the Chicago region. With heavy hitters like Ford, ArcelorMittal, U.S. Steel, and BP all hiring it was hard to settle for that low of pay.

Project Engineer Coop Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in State College, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in State College, PA

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at USG in October 2014.

Was chosen for an on-campus interview at my University. I was notified only a couple of days before the interview so it was pretty last minute. I was really considering blowing off the interview because I didn't know much about USG and was not prepared. Decided to go at the last minute. Not having high expectations probably calmed me down and made me comfortable. There were to women interviewing me, one was probably in her 40s, the other right out of college. The interview was very relaxed and there was much casual conversation. Both ladies were very nice.

About a week later I had a second "interview" with a plant engineer I would be working with. This was basically him just telling me about the plant and what they wanted me to do if I were to work there. Was barely an interview.

Interview Questions
    • Were you ever put into a situation without much knowledge before-hand?   Answer Question
    • Describe a situation when you disagreed with a superior and how you handled it.   Answer Question
    • Name a time of leadership.   Answer Question

Internship Interview

There were two phone interviews and one personal. Nice conversation and regular questions about who are you, your experience, knowledge of the company as for example relevant facts about the company

Interview Questions
    • What was the fact that surprised you more about the company history?   View Answer

Sales Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at USG in March 2014.

I was called for a phone interview that lasted about an hour. Due to a tight timeline, they were making hiring decision based solely on phone interviews with candidates, which really surprised me. During the hour call the interviewer gave a basic rundown of the position and products, asked questions unique to my resume and application, then asked questions that every candidate would be asked.

Interview Questions
    • What three qualities do you think make someone successful in this role?   View Answer

Tax Manager (Sales & Use) Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at USG in February 2014.

I was contacted by a Sr. Recruiter through LinkedIn. After brief email exchanges a phone screening was done that ended up taking 45 minutes, in the middle of my workday. Through the process of the phone screen, it was obvious the recruiter did not take the time to read or understand my qualifications as they would pertain to the position. At one point she was just rambling off portions of my LinkedIn profile that were completely irrelevant and asking me to expand on them. The phone screen ended with the recruiter promising to send me a copy of the position posting, and a follow-up phone screen with the hiring manager the next afternoon, and was never heard from again despite two follow-up emails from me. After the fact, it seemed as if I had been used to fill some kind of quota, instead of a serious candidate search.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked the same question, whether I had directly managed any personnel, a minimum of three times.   Answer Question

Project Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at USG.

Applied through campus and got a pre-screen interview. The interview lasted about 45 minutes with an HR rep. Interview was straight forward and conversation style. The HR rep made me feel extremely comfortable and was very friendly. No tough questions. She just wanted to know why I was interested in USG and any prior internship experience. After the interview, I got invited to a plant visit with a week. The plant interview was just to make sure I was a good fit in the culture.

Vacation Replacement (VR) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cloquet, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cloquet, MN

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at USG in May 2013.

It was a short process. I was interview by two people, both were men. Others have a woman from HR. They were all friendly and it didn't take long. They asked the general questions that are to be expected from every company. The interview went as good as it could possibly go.

Interview Questions
    • Why should we hire you? How will you improve the company?   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university – interviewed at USG in January 2013.

On campus phone interview

Electrician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mediapolis, IA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mediapolis, IA

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at USG in January 2013.

Phone call then background check. Waited to here how things went with staffing agency and background check. Got a call to go interview and did at the company site. Interviewed and was told I would take a physical and once it came back I was hired.

N/A