USG

Getting the Interview

11 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Sales Representative Interview

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at USG in March 2014.

Interview Details – I was called for a phone interview that lasted about an hour. Due to a tight timeline, they were making hiring decision based solely on phone interviews with candidates, which really surprised me. During the hour call the interviewer gave a basic rundown of the position and products, asked questions unique to my resume and application, then asked questions that every candidate would be asked.

Interview Question – What three qualities do you think make someone successful in this role?   View Answer

Tax Manager (Sales & Use) Interview

Chicago, IL

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at USG in February 2014.

Interview Details – I was contacted by a Sr. Recruiter through LinkedIn. After brief email exchanges a phone screening was done that ended up taking 45 minutes, in the middle of my workday. Through the process of the phone screen, it was obvious the recruiter did not take the time to read or understand my qualifications as they would pertain to the position. At one point she was just rambling off portions of my LinkedIn profile that were completely irrelevant and asking me to expand on them. The phone screen ended with the recruiter promising to send me a copy of the position posting, and a follow-up phone screen with the hiring manager the next afternoon, and was never heard from again despite two follow-up emails from me. After the fact, it seemed as if I had been used to fill some kind of quota, instead of a serious candidate search.

Interview Question – I was asked the same question, whether I had directly managed any personnel, a minimum of three times.   Answer Question

Electrician Interview

Electrician
Mediapolis, IA

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at USG in January 2013.

Interview Details – Phone call then background check. Waited to here how things went with staffing agency and background check. Got a call to go interview and did at the company site. Interviewed and was told I would take a physical and once it came back I was hired.

Interview Question – Nothing really serious.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – N/A

Project Engineer Interview

Project Engineer

I applied through college or university and interviewed at USG.

Interview Details – Applied through campus and got a pre-screen interview. The interview lasted about 45 minutes with an HR rep. Interview was straight forward and conversation style. The HR rep made me feel extremely comfortable and was very friendly. No tough questions. She just wanted to know why I was interested in USG and any prior internship experience. After the interview, I got invited to a plant visit with a week. The plant interview was just to make sure I was a good fit in the culture.

Interview Question – How will your experience fit in   Answer Question

BUsiness Analyst Interview

Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university - interviewed at USG in January 2013.

Interview Details – On campus phone interview

Interview Question – Why transportation department   View Answer

Operations Interview

Chicago, IL

The process took a day - interviewed at USG in January 2008.

Interview Details – Interviewers were people familiar withe the job with long experience who asked good question and made useful statements about job requirements.

Interview Question – Most difficult business decision you have made   View Answer

Auditor Interview

Chicago, IL

I applied in-person and the process took 8 weeks - interviewed at USG in July 2010.

Interview Details – It was a little long. However, I interviewed internally in my company. Therefore everything had to go through my managers, HR, and so on. All the managers were cordial, but still asked difficult questions.

Interview Question – Who are your customers in your current accounting position.   Answer Question

Manufacturing Interview

Chicago, IL

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at USG in February 2008.

Interview Details – Discussion of experience, Salary needs, Specific job requirements

Interview Questions

Machine Operator Interview

Machine Operator
Semarang, Central Java (Indonesia)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 days - interviewed at USG in April 2008.

Interview Details – face to face interview with recruitmen,personality identifying,skill test,pshylogical test,medical test

Reason for Declining – i dont interested

Project Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at USG in October 2011.

Interview Details – My first interview was from the career services at my college campus. It was not technical at all, just typical interview questions to get to know the applicant. After the interview process, they told me that I would be put into their system resumes. It seems that any USG plant around the country (unless you indicate a geological preference) goes into the system when they need a new engineer. This happened to me about a month after the initial interview. I was contacted by HR at a plant across the country. A phone interview was set up between me, the HR representative, and the engineering manager. Again, basic interview questions to get to know you and see what you have accomplished while in school. A few weeks later, I received a letter thanking me for my interest and time but my qualifications were not a match for their needs.

Interview Question – What kind of things have you done that show you have good mechanical aptitude?   View Answer

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for USG? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at USG interview questions and advice. All 11 interview reviews posted anonymously by USG employees and interview candidates.