UT Dallas

UT Dallas Interview Questions

Updated Dec 24, 2014
Updated Dec 24, 2014

Student Computer Lab Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at UT Dallas.

Got mail and got asked for meet in person,asked for personal things and asked for time table and schedule of classes ,and got offer letter next day,than usual process as it is

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richardson, TX

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at UT Dallas.

I initially contacted one of the mechanical engineering department heads asking about current research projects that have openings for graduate students. It took about a week to get a response, in which he listed a few projects and their respective principle investigators but he mainly directed me to their online site that had a listing and description of the various projects in the department. After reading many of the projects and looking up CV's and backgrounds for the professors, I simply shot an email off to one of the more interesting projects PI. He got back to me the same day asking for me resume, and telling me he was excited about my interest and so on. Later that week he invited me to his lab office, and gave me the information I needed to get through security. He didn't give any details on what the interview was going to be over. When I arrived for the interview I went to his office he sat down with me and we talked about his research, and he ask questions about why I was interested in it, what skills I could bring as a researched, and what I wanted to take away from graduate school. Towards the end of the interview we just began to chat casually, he asked questions about what classes I was going to take, what I wanted to do after I was done with school, If i had seen the new marvel movie, etc. The whole proccess took less than an hour. And by the end he offered me the position, however he told me to not answer for a week becuase he was going to send me some papers relevant (his grant proposal and supporting papers) to the research that he wanted me to read. He said that he wanted to make sure I after reading them I was still interested in the project and the work we were going to be doing. I accepted a week later and It has been an amazing job to date.

Interview Questions
    • No really difficult questions, mostly questions about how my acquired skills could be applied to the research. The research was in the field of micro-fluid mechanics so there were questions about what I learned in my undergrad in that field and what I learned in those classes, any projects, out side study, future interests and how this research might apply.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation, the university had tuition and scholarships already set for research assistants.

I applied through college or university – interviewed at UT Dallas.

Formal application is required. depending on the availability and the skills, an interview session will be conducted. require graduate level understanding of the problem or the scope of the intended lab.

Interview Questions
    • It is important to be thorough with the lab principal investigator's work   Answer Question

Student Worker Interview

fit is the most important thing, you don't have to be the most outstanding person to be hired. managers just want student workers to help with basic stuff, they don't expect high. I guess different departments have different requirements. budget for student positions are tight. apply though cometcareers, the on-campus job application portal

Administrative Assistant I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richardson, TX

I applied online – interviewed at UT Dallas.

Most places on campus hire completely differently. It takes most places on campus weeks if not months to call people in for interviews. They all ask very bad questions(what are your weaknesses?) and don't seem to have a good idea on how to hire people who will be successful. They also tend to hire people who are either very inexperienced but will accept a low salary or people who are on campus who are well connected, instead of the best person for the job. So unless you are well connected or will accept pay $32,000 and under don't bother.

Student Computer Lab Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richardson, TX

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at UT Dallas.

Applied by giving my resume to the IR manager. He first said all of the spots have been taken, but keep in touch with me and I'll see what I have a couple of weeks, months down. After about a month, he contacted me for an interview, Interview process was a set of questions regarding computer related questions, as well as coworker relations questions.

Interview Questions
    • What computer/tech skills do you have? and What would you do if a fellow coworker was doing something unethical?   Answer Question
    No negotiation, standard wage

Tutor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at UT Dallas.

Take a comprehensive math test which covers calculus and linear algebra. there were about 20 questions. I was given 3 hours to solve the problems. i could refer to online material to review concepts. it was not too bad but some of the questions were indeed quite hard and tedious

Enrollment Support Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richardson, TX

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at UT Dallas.

It took about a month from the time I applied to be called for an interview. Then it took about a month after the interview to be offered the job. So, the process of getting the interview and getting the job is pretty slow. I later found out that this is standard because they have to go through all of these approval processes in order to move a sheet of paper from one bin to another (joke - it's a slow process though).

The interview itself was decent. There was a panel of ~3 people. I had to give a 3-5 minute presentation and then sit down for questions (they asked which I would prefer to do first: the questions or the presentation). The questions were standard, but their faces/responses were a bit hard to read.

Interview Questions
    • There were no real difficult or unexpected questions (they were the general: Tell me about yourself, name a time when you made a mistake, tell us about your experience supervising others); however, one thing that threw me off was the long job description in the very beginning of the interview. We sat down, made our interviews and then one person gave all of the answers to the standard questions I was going to ask when they ask you "What questions do you have?" - because you have to have questions. :-)   View Answer
    There's no room for negotiation with the starting salary (at least not for the position I was offered), and because you go through HR, counter-offers take about a day to relay. My experience with HR was great; however. They were very friendly.

Research Assistant Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at UT Dallas.

Interviewed on campus with the primary investigator. Not too many difficult questions. Mostly asked about my research interests to make sure my interests matched with those of the lab.

Email professor