UT Southwestern Medical Center

Updated Nov 20, 2014
Updated Nov 20, 2014

2.6

Spanish Interpreter Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at UT Southwestern Medical Center.

Interview was formal with the HR department. They made me feel at ease though. Then I was interview by the department manager and asked me basic questions about my experience and qualifications. We performed a short mock exercise where I had to interpret for a Doctor and patient. Also, I took a test done by an independent company about Spanish and medical terminology.

Interview Questions
    • The interview was pretty much standard so there wasn't really an unexpected question. The manager asked me about my experience pertaining to medical terminology and knowledge about consecutive and simultaneous interpretation. Having said that, I did went into a little trouble during the mock exercise described below.

In the mock exercise there was one word during the interpretation I hadn't been exposed in the past and went blank for a moment. I was able to overcome that and went ahead to finish with the rest of the exercise.
        Answer Question

Medical Technologist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at UT Southwestern Medical Center in November 2013.

it was so ugly after i spent big time to reach to interview then i met with Lab manager (female) and two supervisors one of those is for chemistry which i applied for
    it took one or two minutes for the manager to excuse herself to leave me even before i start the interview for personal reason and then both supervisors told me to leave and i was sad asking what happened they said its ok the interview is done
    later i complained to recruiter which she is in different world and she wont listen or read my emails except she said we hvae gave the chance to be interviewed what you need more !!! believe me UT Southwester is not good place to work for with those kind of people who do not care about your right for interview i hope i am wrong here but i am sure this is the reality and god is my witness ,, stay away from them

Interview Questions
    • not even asked any question they just want to show equal opportunity is given to many people for the job and they know who they want to hire   View Answers (2)

Administrative Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at UT Southwestern Medical Center in October 2013.

Communication is usually by email to come in for an interview. The next level is to meet with other administrative staff, who also interview.

Interview Questions
    • What goals have you set for yourself, and if not reaching them, please explain why?   View Answers (2)
    Salary was agreed upon the standards of 10% increase. This is usually the standard set at UT Southwestern, if being promoted from within. Not sure what the standard is if coming in from the outside.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at UT Southwestern Medical Center.

A friend gave my name for an admin opening to her boss. I got a call that same week, but strangely, it was directly from her department and not from HR. This does happen, but the norm is to send your application online, you can choose to be considered for various jobs with the same CV. HR will email you if they think you could be a good fit, sometimes they will contact you not for the position(s) you applied for,but will present you with other opportunities. You will first have to set up an appointment to get tested at HR. In my case the dept. called to set a date and tell me who i was going to interview with (department admi coordinator, then dept. mgr, finally my direct boss. She ended not being available, and after 1-on-1 interviews with admin coord and department mgr, they re-schedule for the next week. My interview with the boss seemed to be more pro-forma, I had been approved by the other levels, and it seem to see if "the vibe was good" It was so, that say was ok. she after my interview the I was asked to arrange with HR to present my application and arrange to get tested. Not very much room for salary negotiation at this level,

Interview Questions
    • Nothing unexpected, no specific difficult question, kind of the normal for this type of position.   View Answers (2)
    No room for much of a negotiation, their attitude was very friendly, but the system seems to not give them too much room to wiggle.

Research Technician II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at UT Southwestern Medical Center.

1. Phone interview: PI asked about my education background and lab experience
    2. In person interview: PI further asked about my technical experience and why I wished to work in research. I was also asked about my future goals.

Interview Questions
    • There were no unexpected questions during this process   Answer Question

Spanish Interpreter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at UT Southwestern Medical Center in August 2013.

You talk to the HR person first, then with the department head. Both were polite. Head of department gives you a tour and introduces you to other interpreters. Head of department is not intimidating and is soft spoken. I was told interpreters take a shuttle to other buildings of UT Southwestern to interpret some of the appointments.

Interview Questions
    • How good of an interpreter do you think you are on a scale of 1-10?. How do you take constructive criticism? How did you solve a problem at work? What do you do when a co-worker is being mean to you?   Answer Question

Quality Control Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at UT Southwestern Medical Center.

Applied via email and scheduled a phone interview by email.After the phone interview you will know you get the offer or not within two working days. No further face to face interview needed.

Interview Questions
    • If your process has some problem what would you do to fix the problem?   Answer Question

Programmer/Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at UT Southwestern Medical Center.

Interviewed in the team area with the manager and one other team member, but the rest of the team sitting in neighboring cubes listening and intermittently participating. All things considered, the manager did a good job putting me at ease during the process through his manner of communication.

Interview Questions
    Simple, they did not play games. I was offered what was originally discussed.

Senior Administrative Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at UT Southwestern Medical Center.

I received a phone call from the HR recruiter for a group interview and testing. A few days later, the hiring manager called for an interview with the department. It helps if you know someone who works for company to get your foot in the door.

Interview Questions
    • Not difficult. Mainly questions on what would you do in this scenario   Answer Question
    I did not negotiate my salary; however, looking back I wish I did consider the merit increase are not much.

SURF Research Intern Interview

I just googled SURF at UT Southwestern and followed the link. There is an online application you need to do which includes your activities, essays, grades and references. Then you just submit and wait until they accept you.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to do research? Why are did you choose your specific department?   Answer Question
    No negotiation, its a 4000$ stipend but they put you up in a hotel all summer.