UT Southwestern Medical Center Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Aug 20, 2014
69 interviews

2.6

Spanish Interpreter Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at UT Southwestern Medical Center.

Interview was formal with the HR department. They made me feel at ease though. Then I was interview by the department manager and asked me basic questions about my experience and qualifications. We performed a short mock exercise where I had to interpret for a Doctor and patient. Also, I took a test done by an independent company about Spanish and medical terminology.

Interview Questions
    • The interview was pretty much standard so there wasn't really an unexpected question. The manager asked me about my experience pertaining to medical terminology and knowledge about consecutive and simultaneous interpretation. Having said that, I did went into a little trouble during the mock exercise described below.

In the mock exercise there was one word during the interpretation I hadn't been exposed in the past and went blank for a moment. I was able to overcome that and went ahead to finish with the rest of the exercise.
        Answer Question

Accountant II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at UT Southwestern Medical Center in December 2009.

I had three interviews for the position before I was hired.

Interview Questions
    • There were not many difficult questions. They asked questions about Excel & Access but nothing too difficult   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation. I was out of a job and desparate. I took what they offered.

Administrative Assistant- Doctor's Office Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at UT Southwestern Medical Center in March 2011.

Hiring and application process was lengthy; many forms to be filled out & submitted. Interview went well, but when I asked about specific job duties, the recruiter & EA couldn't specifiy what I would be doing. Great interview with the doctor, but he too couldn't be specific as to what my duties would be. Found out my first day that his previous admin had retired 9 months earlier, & no one knew her filing system or how to do her job. other admins had taken over a few duties, but I was told upfront that no one could train me. I was told to simply make it mine, meaning create my own job role. I was also told that several of my days each week would be spent riding the campus shuttle, carrying patient files to various offices. That detail was not mentioned during the interview. Other bad surprises came up throughout my first day, & I decided to make my first day my last! I gave this feedback to the recruiting team, but I don't know if anything has changed. Also a big surprise was that it was mandatory that I have parking fees deducted from my paycheck. Had i known that I was required to pay for my parking, that fact would've played into my overall consideration of accepting the job, & would have definitely made me negotiate a higher salary to cover this monthly cost.

Interview Questions
    • None, really. I had the experience they were seeking, and my skills were transferable to the needs of the job. I was able to answer all interview questions easily.   View Answers (2)
    There was no negotiation on salary. I was told the start rate, and I accepted it because it was in the salary range I wanted.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at UT Southwestern Medical Center.

A friend gave my name for an admin opening to her boss. I got a call that same week, but strangely, it was directly from her department and not from HR. This does happen, but the norm is to send your application online, you can choose to be considered for various jobs with the same CV. HR will email you if they think you could be a good fit, sometimes they will contact you not for the position(s) you applied for,but will present you with other opportunities. You will first have to set up an appointment to get tested at HR. In my case the dept. called to set a date and tell me who i was going to interview with (department admi coordinator, then dept. mgr, finally my direct boss. She ended not being available, and after 1-on-1 interviews with admin coord and department mgr, they re-schedule for the next week. My interview with the boss seemed to be more pro-forma, I had been approved by the other levels, and it seem to see if "the vibe was good" It was so, that say was ok. she after my interview the I was asked to arrange with HR to present my application and arrange to get tested. Not very much room for salary negotiation at this level,

Interview Questions
    • Nothing unexpected, no specific difficult question, kind of the normal for this type of position.   View Answer
    No room for much of a negotiation, their attitude was very friendly, but the system seems to not give them too much room to wiggle.

Spanish Interpreter Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at UT Southwestern Medical Center in August 2013.

You talk to the HR person first, then with the department head. Both were polite. Head of department gives you a tour and introduces you to other interpreters. Head of department is not intimidating and is soft spoken. I was told interpreters take a shuttle to other buildings of UT Southwestern to interpret some of the appointments.

Interview Questions
    • How good of an interpreter do you think you are on a scale of 1-10?. How do you take constructive criticism? How did you solve a problem at work? What do you do when a co-worker is being mean to you?   Answer Question

Research Study Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I interviewed online - interviewed at UT Southwestern Medical Center in March 2011.

It did take a long time from when I submitted my application until the hiring manager called me. They have hundreds of posting but only let you apply to 5 per month!! Makes no sense.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing outside the typical interview questions about my experience and career aspirations.   Answer Question
    They offered a very low salary and did come up slightly after I requested more.

Administrative Assistant Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at UT Southwestern Medical Center in February 2013.

pretty easy. 20 mins no hard questions. had a second interview with the doctor.

Interview Questions
    I didn't negotiate and I should have. I was severely underpaid for the work I was doing and the stress I was put under.

Research Technician II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at UT Southwestern Medical Center.

1. Phone interview: PI asked about my education background and lab experience
    2. In person interview: PI further asked about my technical experience and why I wished to work in research. I was also asked about my future goals.

Interview Questions
    • There were no unexpected questions during this process   Answer Question

Quality Control Intern Interview

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 1 week - interviewed at UT Southwestern Medical Center.

Applied via email and scheduled a phone interview by email.After the phone interview you will know you get the offer or not within two working days. No further face to face interview needed.

Interview Questions
    • If your process has some problem what would you do to fix the problem?   Answer Question

Programmer/Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at UT Southwestern Medical Center.

Interviewed in the team area with the manager and one other team member, but the rest of the team sitting in neighboring cubes listening and intermittently participating. All things considered, the manager did a good job putting me at ease during the process through his manner of communication.

Interview Questions
    Simple, they did not play games. I was offered what was originally discussed.