UW Medicine

UW Medicine Interview Questions

Updated Sep 2, 2014
Updated Sep 2, 2014

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at UW Medicine.

Phone interview then one to two hours of interview with everyone on the team in a single room. Might have a 2nd interview for technical questions depends on schedule. Usually pick 1 out of 3.

Departmental Systems Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at UW Medicine in August 2014.

This position is not even posted yet on the UW job board. It is temporary back-fill for staff that is taking a medical leave of absence. I talked with the recruiter by phone for 1/2 hour. She was nice & pleasant.
    When we started talking about rate/salary, I discovered that UW Medicine's pay scales are significantly lower than market rate because of WA State restrictions that control the pay scale. Not sure what business it is of the government to dictate pay for this position nor do I know where the policy makers are getting their rate/salary data but they are way off. None the less, the rate/salary is not acceptable for the required skills & experience for this position. This position should pay $20 - $30 K more per year. Very disappointing!

Data Architect Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at UW Medicine in July 2014.

Received HR screening call the next day I submitted my application. The screening interview with the hiring manager was scheduled in a week. Another couple of weeks was spent waiting for the 3 hours panel interview which was around my presentation of the project of my choice. All questions was around the project and choices made related the data architecture and technical components implemented. The atmosphere was friendly and people were engaged.
    It was another 3 hours interview \ conversation scheduled because not all how could have in input in the decision were available for the first round , and another half an our conversation with the manager of the partner department. Overall it took 2 moths to receive the job offer but the fact that the search for the candidate has started 6 moths before I submitted the application might shorten the hiring process.

Interview Questions
    • Not sure I can rate the questions difficult. The were all relevant to what I do. May be the ones related to slowly changing dimension cold be interpreted as the one. Select the record that defines the names of the people for the specified date... not really difficult. The SQL question which required to grouping the transaction by specific category that had to be defined by case statement..   Answer Question
    The offer met my expectations

Intern Interview

They asked a lot of behavior question based on a book, and then ask the question one by one. I feel like that they have no idea of how to interview people. The good news is that they are nice people, and they don't pick on you.

Public Information Specialist Interview

I applied online – interviewed at UW Medicine.

I had a group interview and met with eight or ten people at once. after having an initial phone interview The group interview felt intimidating, but everyone was friendly. Most or all of the staff and leaders asked questions, and the questions were fairly standard.

Interview Questions
    • Someone asked a question about a volunteer position, and that was unexpected but in a good way. It showed that they really looked at my resume.   Answer Question
    Be aware that in time of tight budgets at the state level, you may not get a raise, and you may want to factor that into salary negotiations. This can last for years. Luckily I did get a few raises before this happened.

Research Scientist II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Had to apply through UW hires

Interview Questions
    • Nothing technical or regarding my lab skills more about my personality and goals. They were really assessing "fit" for the lab.   Answer Question

Research Associate Interview

Why do you want to participate in our company instead of the other company?
    The personal question
    Can you explain what is your future plan in this work?
    What do you expect in our company?
    How do you collaborate with other colleagues?
    How do you combine your research study with the future work?
    Do you have funding raising experience?
    How do you think the work circumstances that you will work in?

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to participate in our company instead of the other company?
      The personal question
      Can you explain what is your future plan in this work?
      What do you expect in our company?
      How do you collaborate with other colleagues?
      How do you combine your research study with the future work?
      Do you have funding raising experience?
      How do you think the work circumstances that you will work in?

Answer Question

Research Scientist I Interview

Got the job through connection. Worked as a student in a research lab that worked closely with the one that hired me. I had the skills they needed so they gave me the job. Met up and chatted with the PI about the job and that was the interview. Didn't need to go through a rigorous process since I had connections.

Interview Questions
    • I didn't have a formal interview, so wasn't really asked anything hard.   Answer Question

Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at UW Medicine.

several interviews with many levels of staff, physicians, administrators.

Help Desk Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at UW Medicine.

The supervisor contacted me for a phone interview first. I received a follow up call the next day for an in-person interview. In total, there were three people who interviewed me (two employees, one supervisor) and they took turns asking me questions. They asked me a series of questions, including problem-solving questions as well as behavioral questions.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you handled a time where a customer was very angry. How did you resolve the situation?   Answer Question