Uber

Average Difficulty
3 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Uber.

Interview Details – Applied based on recommendation from a friend who is a Community Manager there. Had an initial 30 minute conversation with Recruiter Eden who was very nice and friendly. Asked about my experience, things I am most proud of, challenges and successes.

Next step was an analytics exercise for 2 hours using Excel. Give you a few hundred lines of data on drivers and usage and ask you 3 in depth questions on fleet management. Pretty challenging given the time limit and the fact that you have to make some pretty serious assumptions given the minimal additional information.

After a few week delay I was contacted for a potential follow up given the original opportunity was filled.

Interview Question – The analytics exercise. If you're rusty with pivot tables and data assumptions make sure to brush up before stage two.   Answer Question

Associate General Manager

I applied online - interviewed at Uber in June 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online, after a week or two, a recruiter contacted me, proposing to take a 2h test, which was, mostly, data analysis in Excel. After test was submitted, the recuiter never contacted me back, nor replied e-mails.
This behaviour completely ruined my, previously very positive, attitude to Uber company.

Guys, really, you just can't keep high-standard black mark and employ uncontrolled HR person. Do you control your drivers, after all?

Interview Question – Calculate, what will be the financial difference Uber driver (given # of weeks worked, car rent and insuarance rate, some other info), if the driver agrees to buy higher class car.   Answer Question

Associate General Manager

I applied through other source and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Uber in February 2014.

Interview Details – Similar to other responses - just want to add 2 key points on 2 quiz questions. The questions ask you to calculate the annual earnings of a driver using a set of variables they give you. One of the variables is that the driver takes 3 weeks' leave p.a., and one of the expense variables is Car lease costs. Now leasing a car would have to be for the full 52 months of the year, but it seemed their calc was to apply the lease cost for 49 weeks only (i.e. exclude the leave period). Doesn't make sense in a real world scenario. The leasing cost would surely be fore 52 months. (unless things work differently in the US to my country)

The second part of this question asks how much the driver income must increase to cover the cost of an outright vehicle purchase. Simple goal seek question, but what they dont say is that the driver must still make the same Net Profit p.a. AND cover the cost of the car. Unless I screwed it up, you have to assume this to come out with an answer that is in the multiple choice list.

Other than that, pretty straight forward, but you do need to work pretty snappily to come in under 2hrs comfortably

Interview Question – Unclear variables and assumptions made the "Determine Driver annual earnings" question trickier than it should have been.   Answer Question

Worked for Uber? Contribute to the Community!