Uber

Updated Nov 9, 2014
Updated Nov 9, 2014

55 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Community Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Uber.

Applied online, went through 2 phone screens with HR, given an analytic test, brought in to meet the team on 2 separate occasions. Took a few weeks but finally got the job offer.

No negotiation, gave me right where I asked

Other Interview Reviews for Uber

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Uber.

I applied on their website. A couple days later, I received an email scheduling a phone interview. After a 30 minute phone interview, I received an email with 4 sections of problem sets from customer service to analytical thinking. After a couple follow-up emails from my end, I was notified about two weeks later that they were not moving forward with my candidacy.

Interview Questions
    • What have you learned form your experiences dealing with unhappy customers?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Uber in September 2014.

Very good phone interview with young recruiter. Then there was the home work. You get an assignment e-mailed to you and you get 24 hours to respond. It was very complex and took me many, many hours to do a good job. A couple of weeks later I got an e-mail rejecting me, but I still think the process was a good one. It really gives you a clear idea of what they will ask you to do if hired, and they get to see how you work under pressure.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Uber.

I was passed on through a reference and was contacted for a phone interview. The interview seemed to go well and I was sent a written assessment (about 3 pages long). I did the assessment and sent it back. Was contacted a few weeks later (after many emails from my end) and told they were not moving forward.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Uber in July 2014.

They first reached out to me a few days after applying online through their website. They then send you a creative exercise to work on. It takes time, so make sure you have time set aside to complete it. After I sent the exercise in, I was interviewed by another manager. Basic questions were asked about experience and they explained that Uber required 60+ hours commitment day and night.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do to keep drivers and riders happy and treat both equally?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Uber in July 2014.

I applied through the Jobs On Demand promotion and the whole process took 5+ weeks from start to finish.

After sending many "encouraging tweets" and creative instagram posts, I was given a creative assignment to showcase my skills. The assignment ranged from 3 idea proposals for Uber Promotions, to replying to angry tweets and emails, to using KPIs to analyze the expected cost of new promotions. The whole project spanned 15 pages of writing and it was encouraged to be completed over the weekend.

After this homework assignment, I was given a skype interview with a community manager. The interview was very short and the manager asked me to describe the creative assignment to him. I couldn't tell if he read it or not but I got comments about my ideas and how they meshed with the uber brand (think music, everyone at uber is a millennial.)

After this I was invited to an in person interview that was supposed to take 90 minutes. This interview was with the senior marketing manager and the head recruiter. In the email I was told to bring nothing and the interview with the recruiter lasted 50 minutes as she went over my resume and discussed company culture. Many times during this process it was emphasized that Uber employees work 60+ hours a week and they have very long days. I have to be ok with easily spending 10 hours a day including weekends and holidays in the office. There is remote working, but sick days and not showing up is very discouraged. I was also told that the first few months would be mostly responding to angry emails and tweets and eventually when the next round of new hires come in that I would transition into a marketing role.

The second person I talked to was the senior manager, who talked to me for 10 minutes. When we sat down she was confused that I did not have my resume even though I explained to her that the recruiter had it and took it with her. My only question then was "So why do you think you are qualified to work here?" and I tried to explain my previous positions to her as succinctly as possible.

There were no further questions after that and the interview ended half an hour early. I was still in shock as I left the office that I was told to not bring anything and the senior manager didn't even want to try to see why the recruiter thought I was a qualified candidate.

I wasn't given an offer at Uber and my comments on my interview focused on how the staff felt I didn't have the skillset to expand the company.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online – interviewed at Uber.

VERY UNPROFESSIONAL. Skype interview was scheduled for 4pm. 4:30 rolls around and I sent my interviewer an e-mail. He thought it was at 5pm (doubled checked my past e-mails, no.).
    The interviewer seems disinterested in everything I said from the beginning. I tried to stay positive and excited to speak with him. But, to everything I said, he responded either, "cool" "hmmhm".

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Uber in January 2014.

I'd like to start by saying I am writing this review a few weeks after my process ended. I wanted to let everything settle and see how I felt.

Initial phone screen interview with HR was followed by a short project. The project asked me to respond to a few emails and tweets and then come up with some creative marketing ideas and write a few blog post. A Skype interview with a current community manager to review the project followed.

I was then asked to come for an in-person interview. I first was given 30 min to do a small project based on an app of my choice. I then met with 10 people (in groups of 2 or 3) over the span of a couple hours and was sent on my way.

A couple of days after the in-person, I was email with yet another project. This one was more extensive. I had a week to promote and sign up as many new riders as possible using a personalized promo code provided by Uber. I spent a lot of time and put a lot of effort into this project. I won't share my ideas/techniques here.

I was then sent an email requesting another Skype interview, this time with the regional manager. He seemed extremely dis-interested in speaking with me. The interview lasted a mere 15 minutes. He asked what concerns I had about the job. I thought this was going to be to discuss the previous week long project. When I brought it up he said he had no questions. I was never given any type of feedback on the project at all. I asked multiple folks (from HR to community managers) for their thoughts and some numeric results, but was never given any.

After that Sykpe interview I waited a week without hearing anything. Through the process I had spoken to or been emailed by 1 person from HR, 4 different community managers and the regional manager. It wasn't clear as to who was my main contact. I reached out to one of the community managers and he said the "appropriate person" would reach out soon. The original HR women emailed me a day later saying that her first email must not have been sent properly, thanking me for my time, but that they had opted to go with another candidate.

Now at first I wasn't pleased. I had put a lot of time and effort into all the projects and interviews. All signs pointed to this panning out. But in retrospective I feel totally different. They kept saying Uber was a lifestyle. I was going to be moving to a new city. If I was going to move, I would want/need time to explore and learn my new city. The "Uber lifestyle" literally is a lifestyle. I asked about time to go to the gym and one guy said he schedules in an hour a day. One person mentioned there were in the office at 8 am, home by 7 pm (cause they had a dog) and back online (with the rest of the team) until almost midnight. If you're looking for a life-consuming job then this is for you. Some mentioned 50 - 60 - 70 - even 80+ hour work weeks.

In the end it wasn't for me and my search continues.

Office Culture: I was not given a tour of the office during my in person. I usually ask for a tour but they were moving offices in a few weeks and it would be a totally new space anyway. But the office was cluttered.

People: Most of the folks were very nice. Very friendly and talkative. I saw myself working with those type of people.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Uber in February 2014.

Applied online. Process took 2 months.

Interview Questions
    • Would working 80+ hours a week be something of interest as Uber is a way of life and not a typical job.   Answer Question

Community Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Uber.

I applied online and heard back from a recruiter about 3 weeks later. The recruiter was very nice, and sent me a Creative Assignment the next day. Heads up: the creative assignment takes a loooong time to complete if you really work at it. I thought it would take 30 to 45 minutes and I spent about 4 hours plus on it.

After that, I had a Skype interview with a Community Manager. The interview was fine — no unexpected questions — but he didn't once mention the creative assignment that I worked so hard on, nor did it seem like he even touched my resume or cover letter. He was also have tech issues (and kept blaming them on me, which was weird).

I do really appreciate that he did warn me that this job isn't for everyone. The hours often exceeded 100 hours per week, and he said you should plan on working every night and every weekend. That seemed really intense — I couldn't imagine spending 12+ hours a day every single day at a job like this, so this gig ended up not being for me. Although if you're the kind of person that really JUST likes to work, go for it.

He also made it sound like this job was all about customer service, and way less about the fun event planning and marketing events that the creative assignment made it seem like.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing too difficult and unexpected — they'll gauge your reaction to the insane hours, ask about customer service experience and ask about any marketing experience you have.   Answer Question