Uber Interview Questions

Updated Oct 21, 2014
Updated Oct 21, 2014

3.1

Operations and Logistics Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Uber in February 2014.

I applied online mid January and received a phone call mid February around 6:30pm on a Friday night.

Here are the steps that followed:

1) Sunday night: 5-10 minute phone call with someone at the Uber office I had applied to, general background questions, are you eligible to work in the United States etc. The person I spoke to also asked right off the bat what I was looking for in salary and stated that they had been hiring people between the $60 - $65K range, and that number was implied to be rather inflexible.

2) Tuesday: Two hour timed analytics test, completed online. You download two CSV files and use that data to answer 28 multiple choice questions. Twenty of the 28 questions had to do with straight data analysis (which 10 hour span in the course of two weeks had the most requests), while the remaining eight were a bit more interpretive (which of the following metrics would be most valuable for determining demand). The final four questions were free-form essay answers. Ones I recall are: Write a letter to drivers (can be for an upcoming holiday or just a general newsletter), which of two given bonus structures would be better in incentivizing drivers to work (fixed per ride, fixed per hour, variable but a minimum of rides required). I would say I am pretty good with Excel and a fast writer and I finished in about 1 hour 45 minutes. There were only about 3 questions that were very difficult.

3) Thursday/Friday: Two 20-30 minute phone interviews with members of the Uber team at the location where I applied. The first 10 minutes or so each time was comprised of the general tell us about your resume, why do you want to leave your company, why Uber in particular type questions. The next 10-15 minutes had questions like how would you sell an existing taxi driver on using Uber (biggest one was safety), why don't taxi drivers like using credit cards (taxes, a cut of the money gets taken out by processing fees, they don't get the money right away like cash) and some other questions that I can't recall. The last few minutes are opened up to the candidate to ask them questions.

4) Following Wednesday: Two hour interview at the Uber office consisting of four 30-minute panels. Each panel was 3-4 people asking me questions. There were at least three other people being interviewed for the same position concurrently, so the panelists rotated between us. Mine was conducted inside a room full of random Uber-related supplies and storage units. The interview took place from 6-8pm on a Wednesday night, which seems a bit asinine given that most people applying already worked a full day beforehand but perhaps Uber wants to see how candidates perform when they're both tired and stressed, who knows. In each panel maybe 2 minutes are devoted to hearing about you as a person or candidate (tell us about your resume... hmm I see here you've worked for X for Y years, tell us about that) -- after that they jump right in to questions. There is little to no time to make a connection with your interviewers, it's really all about being able to answer the specific questions they ask. Despite the fact that I heard over and over again how everyone who works at Uber came from other industries 100% of the questions were about Uber-specific processes or items, there was not a single general aptitude or skills question until the final panel asked "Tell us about a project you worked on that you were proud of," or something to that effect. See the "Interview Questions" section below for examples.

At the end of one of the panels, almost as an afterthought, the last question I was asked was: Tell us something you're passionate about. I thought, stupidly, that this was a genuine attempt to get to know me as a person so I answered with a legitimate answer -- let's say it was fine dining. Instead of the expected reply prompting me to share a human anecdote or a commonality between the interviewer and myself he replied "OK great, make a PowerPoint presentation about fine dining and send it to me by <looks at watch> 8pm tomorrow night." I asked for more direction and was told, essentially, sell me on fine dining. I wasn't told if this was supposed to be a test of my presentation skills, sales skills or just a signal that I was devoted to this job. I have a real life with other responsibilities, so I spent about 2 hours the next morning before work putting something together and sent it in.

The next time I heard from Uber was 5-6 days later I received a generic form email at 11pm informing me they'd decided to go in a different direction. I was not particularly inclined to inquire as to why I was not selected.

Interview Questions
    • From the in-person panel interviews:

- Uber is opening up a city remotely (i.e. Milwaukee will be operated out of Chicago). How would you make the drivers in Milwaukee feel equal to the drivers in Chicago. This was maybe the worst, most vague question of them all.
      - Uber drops you in a new market (i.e. Oklahoma City) and says you have two weeks until we open here - go! What do you do?
      - Say an Uber black car driver makes $30/ride with a 20% commission. How do you convince him to upgrade to a new made up service UberSuper with a 25% commission? What costs will the driver incur in upgrading. How much more will he have to make each week, etc. Note: it's not enough to just walk them through mentally how you'd do this, be prepared to do the math on the fly. Very annoying.
      - An Uber competitor opens in your city with unlimited cash capital, if you were them how would you steal Uber's customers? If you were Uber how would you convince drivers not to leave?
        View Answers (12)

Marketing Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Uber.

I applied online after seeing the job posted on LinkedIn. After a few weeks, a recruiter reached out to me to set up a phone interview. We discussed my current role, why I wanted to work at Uber, and what my expectations of the position were. At the end of the interview, the recruiter told me they were planning on sending me a short assignment that I needed to complete in order to be considered for the next round.

The assignment was split into 3 sections, with 3 to 4 questions per section. If you know what you're doing and have experience in the field, none of the questions are inherently hard. However, they are incredibly time-consuming. Creating project plans, giving a laundry list of ideas, calling up local businesses and asking how they would want to partner with the company, answering customer emails, and analyzing promotional data were all included in the questions. I finished the assignment in 2 days and waited to hear back on next steps.

About a week later, the recruiter reached out and let me know they wanted to set up a Skype interview with another employee. During the Skype interview, we discussed a lot of the same questions during the phone interview. Again, nothing difficult if you know what you're talking about and have a genuine interest in the position. I asked a few questions, one being work/life balance, as a lot of feedback on these types of positions were related to working 16 hours/day. That was squashed pretty quickly, and it was much more on point with what you expect from an established start-up in the events and promotions world. The employee and I seemed to build a good connection and I expected to be moved on to the next round. However, after the interview, I was sent ANOTHER assignment.

This time, the questions were tailored specifically to things we discussed during the interview. During the original Skype interview, we talked about a specific event that Uber was activating at. One of the questions was to come up with ideas for that event and how to increase the company's presence at said event. This question put a sour taste in my mouth, as I knew these ideas could be used without an offer being made, but I was genuinely interested in the position, thought my ideas were better than what they currently use during activation, and that the connection I built with the employee would be weighed heavier than any of my answers. I finished this assignment in a day and turned it in to the recruiter.

After not hearing back after a week, I followed up with the recruiter to find out when I would hear about the next steps in the hiring process. I was shocked to find out they decided to go in another direction. I asked for any feedback to help understand why I did not move on, but the recruiter said it was company policy not to share details of the interview process.

I was bummed that I didn't get the job, but moved on in my job search. However, after seeing the same position posted back on LinkedIn a few days later, I realized I was completely taken advantage of. I am willing to jump through hoops for positions I am interested in and understand that a company of Uber's size and stature needs to weed out the applicants, but this seems like they blatantly farmed my ideas without the intention of hiring for the position in order to benefit them on their upcoming event.

While the employees were professional, the process that the company has put in place was one of the worst experiences I've dealt with. I think there are better ways to qualify applicants without making them feel like we are being taken advantage of.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult or unexpected questions, as long as you are familiar with the events and promotions marketing.   View Answer

Customer Service Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Uber.

1. Applier online and two business days later I received a homework assignment. The assignment was a pretty good indication of the type of work that you would handle.
    2. Completed and sent back the assignment as soon as I could and received an invitation for a Skype interview two days later.
    3. The actual interview was very positive. All smiles. My interviewer was very positive, funny, smart and it was a little laid back.

No negotiation. 15$ /hr

Operations and Logistics Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Uber in October 2014.

2hr analytic test = spreadsheet test that most of the good manager will fail. The spreadsheet junkie may do alright. The entry level question on business consulting is not clear.

I am assuming the test were made by a college graduate with some skills in xl, and zero work experience in the field

Community Operations Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Uber in October 2014.

I was contacted on LinkedIn about about an open position from a local recruiter, and set up a phone interview. I did all my research, read all the recent press (both good and bad). Recruiter spoke mostly about the role, and said it was just a pre-screen. She didn't get much into my actual experience. She did mention they have abnormal work hours.I asked questions about their interview process (where candidates are given an assignment), how employees deal with protests outside their office. (Two in a four a week period) I asked about next steps, and when I'd get the assignment every person on Glassdoor mentioned; the CEO preferred assignments as a great way to know a candidate. She said she'd talk to the team and get back. I never heard from her again.

Community Operations Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Uber.

Uber seems to vary by location on when they will contact you after submitting your application. San Francisco got back to me the next day, while NYC took a month or so. The first step is a phone interview with a recruiter to better get to know you. They will then send a worksheet exercise that goes over how you will respond to different customer situations, as well as your feedback on analytical information. This can take around 1-2 hours to complete, and I recommend you do your research to understand the pricing structure. I then received a Skype interview and eventually an in-person interview.

Interview Questions
    • During a phone interview: An Uber driver complains that a passenger vomits in their back seat. Do you help pay for the damages? If so, where do you get the money?   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to work at Uber?   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Uber in October 2014.

Post resume both at school and at website. Got contacted a week later. Schedule a phone interview and the interview was not confirmed until only a day or two before the interview. I had to reschedule my interview with other companies and i went for four different companies that day. Interviewed with a software manager.

Interview Questions
    • Mainly system design problem. Two problems and no coding at all. The interview difficulty varies from person to person and I can feel that they don't have a standard bar so just try your luck.   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Uber in September 2014.

I applied in August and was told that they'd finished hiring for that hiring phase, but would contact me again in the fall. Yesterday, I got an email asking me about my availability for a Skype interview, which I had this morning.

Community Support Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Uber.

I applied to this position was the excitement of being able to work from home. I applied via website by submitting an application with my resume attached. Within a day I received an email with a home work assignment that was absolutely ridiculous. Curious as to where they were going with this, I completely the home work within a few hours.

4-5 days later I received an email stating I would not move forward in the hiring process.

Interview Questions
    • The home work assignment was VERY lengthy and is truly a waste of time. I'm actually happy that I did not move forward as that company is headed on a downward slope.   Answer Question

Operations and Logistics Manager Interview

Interview consisted of 4 rounds. Starting with a simple phone fit interview with very basic questions, followed by a excel skill test which you can easily do with experience in pivot tables. Then your application gets forwarded to the local office and you have a first serious phone interview, after which you get invited to their office for a number of quick one on one interviews with the team.

Interview Questions
    • If we ask you to find us 100 new drivers this month. Describe what steps you would take?   Answer Question