Uber Interview Questions

Updated Aug 28, 2015

Operations and Logistics Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Uber in February 2014.

Interview

I applied online mid January and received a phone call mid February around 6:30pm on a Friday night. Here are the steps that followed: 1) Sunday night: 5-10 minute phone call with someone at the Uber office I had applied to, general background questions, are you eligible to work in the United States etc. The person I spoke to also asked right off the bat what I was looking for in salary and stated that they had been hiring people between the $60 - $65K range, and that number was implied to be rather inflexible. 2) Tuesday: Two hour timed analytics test, completed online. You download two CSV files and use that data to answer 28 multiple choice questions. Twenty of the 28 questions had to do with straight data analysis (which 10 hour span in the course of two weeks had the most requests), while the remaining eight were a bit more interpretive (which of the following metrics would be most valuable for determining demand). The final four questions were free-form essay answers. Ones I recall are: Write a letter to drivers (can be for an upcoming holiday or just a general newsletter), which of two given bonus structures would be better in incentivizing drivers to work (fixed per ride, fixed per hour, variable but a minimum of rides required). I would say I am pretty good with Excel and a fast writer and I finished in about 1 hour 45 minutes. There were only about 3 questions that were very difficult. 3) Thursday/Friday: Two 20-30 minute phone interviews with members of the Uber team at the location where I applied. The first 10 minutes or so each time was comprised of the general tell us about your resume, why do you want to leave your company, why Uber in particular type questions. The next 10-15 minutes had questions like how would you sell an existing taxi driver on using Uber (biggest one was safety), why don't taxi drivers like using credit cards (taxes, a cut of the money gets taken out by processing fees, they don't get the money right away like cash) and some other questions that I can't recall. The last few minutes are opened up to the candidate to ask them questions. 4) Following Wednesday: Two hour interview at the Uber office consisting of four 30-minute panels. Each panel was 3-4 people asking me questions. There were at least three other people being interviewed for the same position concurrently, so the panelists rotated between us. Mine was conducted inside a room full of random Uber-related supplies and storage units. The interview took place from 6-8pm on a Wednesday night, which seems a bit asinine given that most people applying already worked a full day beforehand but perhaps Uber wants to see how candidates perform when they're both tired and stressed, who knows. In each panel maybe 2 minutes are devoted to hearing about you as a person or candidate (tell us about your resume... hmm I see here you've worked for X for Y years, tell us about that) -- after that they jump right in to questions. There is little to no time to make a connection with your interviewers, it's really all about being able to answer the specific questions they ask. Despite the fact that I heard over and over again how everyone who works at Uber came from other industries 100% of the questions were about Uber-specific processes or items, there was not a single general aptitude or skills question until the final panel asked "Tell us about a project you worked on that you were proud of," or something to that effect. See the "Interview Questions" section below for examples. At the end of one of the panels, almost as an afterthought, the last question I was asked was: Tell us something you're passionate about. I thought, stupidly, that this was a genuine attempt to get to know me as a person so I answered with a legitimate answer -- let's say it was fine dining. Instead of the expected reply prompting me to share a human anecdote or a commonality between the interviewer and myself he replied "OK great, make a PowerPoint presentation about fine dining and send it to me by <looks at watch> 8pm tomorrow night." I asked for more direction and was told, essentially, sell me on fine dining. I wasn't told if this was supposed to be a test of my presentation skills, sales skills or just a signal that I was devoted to this job. I have a real life with other responsibilities, so I spent about 2 hours the next morning before work putting something together and sent it in. The next time I heard from Uber was 5-6 days later I received a generic form email at 11pm informing me they'd decided to go in a different direction. I was not particularly inclined to inquire as to why I was not selected.

Interview Questions

• From the in-person panel interviews: - Uber is opening up a city remotely (i.e. Milwaukee will be operated out of Chicago). How would you make the drivers in Milwaukee feel equal to the drivers in Chicago. This was maybe the worst, most vague question of them all. - Uber drops you in a new market (i.e. Oklahoma City) and says you have two weeks until we open here - go! What do you do? - Say an Uber black car driver makes $30/ride with a 20% commission. How do you convince him to upgrade to a new made up service UberSuper with a 25% commission? What costs will the driver incur in upgrading. How much more will he have to make each week, etc. Note: it's not enough to just walk them through mentally how you'd do this, be prepared to do the math on the fly. Very annoying. - An Uber competitor opens in your city with unlimited cash capital, if you were them how would you steal Uber's customers? If you were Uber how would you convince drivers not to leave?   78 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Uber (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

The interview is ok in general. But I am really DISAPPOINTED by their onsite interview policy. Uber doesn't take care of your trip, you have to book the flight, hotel and car by yourself, and pay them yourself. The recruiter promised to reimburse the trip expense, and I submitted my reimburse report to their AP department. I DID NOT get my reimbursement back and they stopped answering my emails. Uber should have a standard travel reimbursement policy.

Interview Questions

• How would you improve Uber?   1 Answer

Marketing Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 7+ weeks. I interviewed at Uber.

Interview

I applied online through Uber.com's career page at the end of November and received my offer for Marketing Manager at the end of January. A very thorough, 2-month process. I submitted my cover letter/resume and answered the questions on the Uber.com application page. After submitting my initial cover letter and resume, I was contacted by a recruiter about 4 days later to setup a first phone screening. At this point, I researched the position here on Glassdoor and saw some negative comments about "idea farming" from potential candidates, and became a bit jaded about the process, but still decided to continue and give it a shot. The 1st phone screening was as-expected, standard first-round questions. The first phone screening lasted about 25 mins and went well. The next day I was asked to participate in a second round of phone interviews with another recruiter. This was a similar process with similar questions, probably a bit more focused to the role in question. After the second round of phone interviews, I got an email the next day asking me to complete the "Marketing Manager Creative Assignment" - just as I had read would happen from previous reviews here on Glassdoor. The comments about "idea farming" from potential candidates came to mind, yet I decided to still complete the assignment. I began slowly and it took me just over two weeks from the time I was given the assignment until the day I returned it to my recruiter. The Creative Assignment was pretty challenging. There were 5 total sections with specific objectives for each section. I ended up getting the offer for the position, so I don't feel like my ideas were stolen, however, if someone went through this whole process and completed the exercise, but they were not chosen for the role, I could see how they might feel their ideas/work were taken. However, the reality is that not everyone can get the role, you have to do the work and roll the dice, hoping that it works out in the end. My Creative Assignment was 11 pages long when I returned it to my recruiter and I felt pretty confident about the quality of my ideas, strategy, etc. It took over a week after I submitted my Creative Assignment until I heard back from my recruiter. Granted it was partially during the holidays and she was sick during that time. After about 10 days, I heard back that I would be moved on to 2 more phone interviews, interview #3 & 4. They were scheduled both on one day, with two, 30-minute consecutive appointments: 11AM & 11:30AM. These 2 interviews were much more detailed and challenging. Asking questions about specific campaigns I have been involved with, what made them successful, how would I handle an event launch, describe a good on-demand stunt, etc. Some questions involved analytics to see how you think using number and promotional metrics. Each of these interviews ran just over 30 mins, about 35 minutes a piece. The final phone interviews were with senior level marketing managers outside of my market. The day after the 3rd & 4th phone interviews I was asked to come onsite for my first in-person interview. This was my 5th interaction with an Uber employee and first in-person interview. I wasn't sure if this was the last step, but I believed that it would be the final step, either with or without an offer. It was a rather unstructured, yet very focused interview. I met with the General Manager (GM) of my market and he was a very sharp, analytical, and focused person. The onsite interview lasted about an hour and it was quite challenging. My previous work experience positioned me well for the Marketing Manager role and I was able to answer the questions well and provide relevant examples, give ideas, and reasons to support ideas/strategies. I left the interview feeling quite confident about my performance, but still wasn't sure. I followed up the next day with an email to my recruiter with supplementary information about some of the ideas/strategies that I had discussed with the GM in my interview. This 1-page document gave a strategy for new markets in my city with data to support these strategies. Two days after I met with the GM, he called me in the afternoon with the good news that they would like to extend me an offer. Overall, it was a very thorough process, but that's to be expected if you want to work for one of the most sought-after companies in the world. The salary is competitive and you get to work on some awesome projects. If I wasn't selected for the role, I would feel like my ideas were "farmed", but you have to "roll the dice if you want to play the game". I had a strong resume, backed by very relevant previous experience, and nailed every one of my interviews with good documents/followup.

Interview Questions

• The Creative Assessment is what really weeds out/separates candidates for this role. This is the point where a good candidate stands out from the rest.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I did not try to negotiate because I was happy with the initial offer. However, looking back, I feel like I should have just tried to negotiate because it seems like everyone should try to negotiate up.

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Uber (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Time to explore new opportunities, so I submitted my resume to a few top Valley companies and startups including Uber. Got contacted by the recruiter a few days later after my online submisson. 1) Recruiter initial phone call. (30 mins) 2) TPS (1 hour) You need to solve the coding exercise via online code sharing editor. Some follow-up discussions. 3) Take home code challenge. I spent a weekend on building the solution and making sure I like what I submitted. I got feedback next day. Amazing efficiency. 4) 4 onsite interviews (4 - 5 hours) at Uber HQ. Jam with a group of Uber engineers, plus a nice onsite lunch break. Each interview is designed with 2 engineers except the Culture fit one which is a product discussion with one of the engineering managers. I did some coding questions on my laptop. 5) Wrap up with my recruiter. All questions are reasonable. Marked the interview as difficult in the sense that you definitely want to be well prepared. There were quite a few problems I never saw before. Know your stuffs well -- you should be OK. The interview process is very smooth. I have no issue with my onsite travel reimbursement, although it took ~3 weeks to get it completed. I got a call in the next one or two days after my onsite with an offer! The package is excellent. I chose Uber over other offers/opportunities because I really believe in Uber's mission that is happening in an incredible scale. And all the engineers I met are super cool, sharp and resourceful.

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

The initial process was incredibly great. I submitted my application for the internship online and received a reply within 3 hours. The next steps took a ridiculous amount of time. First, they said that once I told them a time that I was available for interview, that I must be able to make it or the interview would be canceled. However, what made things worse was that the interviewer canceled the phone interview by sending an email, within an hour of the interview, twice. This entire process took 6 weeks. No interview. I'm done with this company. You should save your time and apply somewhere else. (P.s. I applied to the New York office)

Operations and Logistics Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Uber.

Interview

Quick process. Truly revealing in terms of what it's like to work at Uber: awful. I've never met so many arrogant individuals in my life in the span of 3 hours. I wish I could say it was backed by some form of intelligence, but I cannot. They expect 90-100 hours for less than 65k. Calculate your per hour. It's a joke. They are not even willing to negotiate. Uber drivers beware. The general manager laughed at Uber drivers, saying theyd never get what they ask for (tips, better service), calling them desperate and uneducated. Look Uber, without the drivers, you are just an app. Treat your drivers right or they will flock to your competitors. Note: the ops job is mainly driver relationship management and recruitment. There's no strategy involved, very little logistics. Fancy title for driver managemenr.

Interview Questions

• Since many drivers come from uneducated backgrounds, how would you communicate with them? ( a guy seriously asked me this)   1 Answer
    • Think of a new Uber service and discuss it in detail.   Answer Question
    • How would you encourage drivers to get on the road during peak times/holidays?   Answer Question
    • How would you measure demand for Uber ice cream?   Answer Question

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Uber.

Interview

Apply directly through referal. Next step is a phone screening, then analytical test and finally 2 Skype interviews, one with current DOPs and one with the GM. In general, more like chatting and knowing eachother with a sense of what you are capable of and what the company can offer. It is not too exhaustive but very comprehensive and they put a lot of weight on FIT. But I guess it varies by cities/managers.

Interview Questions

• Mostly situational, no behavioral questions   1 Answer

Operations Coordinator Interview

Interview

Changed the team I was interviewing with 3 times. Had to do excel test, phone screen, Skype, and in person interview. Process took 2 months. Recruiter was really nice but would send emails at odd hours of the day (10 PM on business day). Overall positive experience but no offer

Marketing Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Uber.

Interview

got a test from HR first, then Skype interviewed with HR in Hong Kong, signal loss for many times, HR are rude and sounds in rush since the beginning.

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

I was contacted by HR on phone and was setup a phone screen. It was supposed to be a Skype interview, however, the interviewer ended up calling on phone. He was 15 minutes late. It was pretty hard to understand the accent as well.

Interview Questions

• Search and delete nodes in BST. Delete operation is pretty tricky and you should review that.   1 Answer