Uber Interview Questions

Updated Mar 25, 2015
Updated Mar 25, 2015

3.1

Operations and Logistics Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Uber in February 2014.

I applied online mid January and received a phone call mid February around 6:30pm on a Friday night.

Here are the steps that followed:

1) Sunday night: 5-10 minute phone call with someone at the Uber office I had applied to, general background questions, are you eligible to work in the United States etc. The person I spoke to also asked right off the bat what I was looking for in salary and stated that they had been hiring people between the $60 - $65K range, and that number was implied to be rather inflexible.

2) Tuesday: Two hour timed analytics test, completed online. You download two CSV files and use that data to answer 28 multiple choice questions. Twenty of the 28 questions had to do with straight data analysis (which 10 hour span in the course of two weeks had the most requests), while the remaining eight were a bit more interpretive (which of the following metrics would be most valuable for determining demand). The final four questions were free-form essay answers. Ones I recall are: Write a letter to drivers (can be for an upcoming holiday or just a general newsletter), which of two given bonus structures would be better in incentivizing drivers to work (fixed per ride, fixed per hour, variable but a minimum of rides required). I would say I am pretty good with Excel and a fast writer and I finished in about 1 hour 45 minutes. There were only about 3 questions that were very difficult.

3) Thursday/Friday: Two 20-30 minute phone interviews with members of the Uber team at the location where I applied. The first 10 minutes or so each time was comprised of the general tell us about your resume, why do you want to leave your company, why Uber in particular type questions. The next 10-15 minutes had questions like how would you sell an existing taxi driver on using Uber (biggest one was safety), why don't taxi drivers like using credit cards (taxes, a cut of the money gets taken out by processing fees, they don't get the money right away like cash) and some other questions that I can't recall. The last few minutes are opened up to the candidate to ask them questions.

4) Following Wednesday: Two hour interview at the Uber office consisting of four 30-minute panels. Each panel was 3-4 people asking me questions. There were at least three other people being interviewed for the same position concurrently, so the panelists rotated between us. Mine was conducted inside a room full of random Uber-related supplies and storage units. The interview took place from 6-8pm on a Wednesday night, which seems a bit asinine given that most people applying already worked a full day beforehand but perhaps Uber wants to see how candidates perform when they're both tired and stressed, who knows. In each panel maybe 2 minutes are devoted to hearing about you as a person or candidate (tell us about your resume... hmm I see here you've worked for X for Y years, tell us about that) -- after that they jump right in to questions. There is little to no time to make a connection with your interviewers, it's really all about being able to answer the specific questions they ask. Despite the fact that I heard over and over again how everyone who works at Uber came from other industries 100% of the questions were about Uber-specific processes or items, there was not a single general aptitude or skills question until the final panel asked "Tell us about a project you worked on that you were proud of," or something to that effect. See the "Interview Questions" section below for examples.

At the end of one of the panels, almost as an afterthought, the last question I was asked was: Tell us something you're passionate about. I thought, stupidly, that this was a genuine attempt to get to know me as a person so I answered with a legitimate answer -- let's say it was fine dining. Instead of the expected reply prompting me to share a human anecdote or a commonality between the interviewer and myself he replied "OK great, make a PowerPoint presentation about fine dining and send it to me by <looks at watch> 8pm tomorrow night." I asked for more direction and was told, essentially, sell me on fine dining. I wasn't told if this was supposed to be a test of my presentation skills, sales skills or just a signal that I was devoted to this job. I have a real life with other responsibilities, so I spent about 2 hours the next morning before work putting something together and sent it in.

The next time I heard from Uber was 5-6 days later I received a generic form email at 11pm informing me they'd decided to go in a different direction. I was not particularly inclined to inquire as to why I was not selected.

Interview Questions
    • From the in-person panel interviews:

- Uber is opening up a city remotely (i.e. Milwaukee will be operated out of Chicago). How would you make the drivers in Milwaukee feel equal to the drivers in Chicago. This was maybe the worst, most vague question of them all.
      - Uber drops you in a new market (i.e. Oklahoma City) and says you have two weeks until we open here - go! What do you do?
      - Say an Uber black car driver makes $30/ride with a 20% commission. How do you convince him to upgrade to a new made up service UberSuper with a 25% commission? What costs will the driver incur in upgrading. How much more will he have to make each week, etc. Note: it's not enough to just walk them through mentally how you'd do this, be prepared to do the math on the fly. Very annoying.
      - An Uber competitor opens in your city with unlimited cash capital, if you were them how would you steal Uber's customers? If you were Uber how would you convince drivers not to leave?

View Answers (53)

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Uber.

First had a phone screen with an engineer. The question wasn't that hard and the whole process seemed kind of disorganized. I didn't really know what the outcome would be, but I got an email the next day inviting me for an on-site.

The on-site round consisted of four separate interviews. Some of the engineers I interviewed with seemed overworked, but others seemed fairly happy with what they were doing. The questions themselves were pretty average in difficulty, but I get the impression that this is really dependent on the team you interview with. The process was fairly disorganized; they say you need to use a laptop in the interview, but none of the interviewers actually cared about that, so I just spent the whole time white-boarding. The interviewers themselves were nice to talk to, except one, who really tried to rush me through a solution as quickly as possible and kept cutting me off.

I wasn't happy with some parts of the compensation when I received the offer, and the company didn't really budge when I tried to do some negotiation. Uber apparently didn't like that I wasn't completely ecstatic about taking the job, so they decided to withdraw the offer after I asked the hiring manager some basic questions about working at the company.

Interview Questions
    • Phone screen: Fill in this function header, which is responsible for finding all vehicle stops closest to a user's GPS location.

On-Site:
      A design question (How would you design a ride-share application?)
      A technical communication question.
      A fairly simple coding question involving some OOP.
      A design discussion with the hiring manager.

Marketing Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 7+ weeksinterviewed at Uber.

I applied online through Uber.com's career page at the end of November and received my offer for Marketing Manager at the end of January. A very thorough, 2-month process. I submitted my cover letter/resume and answered the questions on the Uber.com application page.

After submitting my initial cover letter and resume, I was contacted by a recruiter about 4 days later to setup a first phone screening. At this point, I researched the position here on Glassdoor and saw some negative comments about "idea farming" from potential candidates, and became a bit jaded about the process, but still decided to continue and give it a shot. The 1st phone screening was as-expected, standard first-round questions. The first phone screening lasted about 25 mins and went well. The next day I was asked to participate in a second round of phone interviews with another recruiter. This was a similar process with similar questions, probably a bit more focused to the role in question.

After the second round of phone interviews, I got an email the next day asking me to complete the "Marketing Manager Creative Assignment" - just as I had read would happen from previous reviews here on Glassdoor. The comments about "idea farming" from potential candidates came to mind, yet I decided to still complete the assignment. I began slowly and it took me just over two weeks from the time I was given the assignment until the day I returned it to my recruiter. The Creative Assignment was pretty challenging. There were 5 total sections with specific objectives for each section. I ended up getting the offer for the position, so I don't feel like my ideas were stolen, however, if someone went through this whole process and completed the exercise, but they were not chosen for the role, I could see how they might feel their ideas/work were taken. However, the reality is that not everyone can get the role, you have to do the work and roll the dice, hoping that it works out in the end. My Creative Assignment was 11 pages long when I returned it to my recruiter and I felt pretty confident about the quality of my ideas, strategy, etc.

It took over a week after I submitted my Creative Assignment until I heard back from my recruiter. Granted it was partially during the holidays and she was sick during that time. After about 10 days, I heard back that I would be moved on to 2 more phone interviews, interview #3 & 4. They were scheduled both on one day, with two, 30-minute consecutive appointments: 11AM & 11:30AM. These 2 interviews were much more detailed and challenging. Asking questions about specific campaigns I have been involved with, what made them successful, how would I handle an event launch, describe a good on-demand stunt, etc. Some questions involved analytics to see how you think using number and promotional metrics. Each of these interviews ran just over 30 mins, about 35 minutes a piece. The final phone interviews were with senior level marketing managers outside of my market.

The day after the 3rd & 4th phone interviews I was asked to come onsite for my first in-person interview. This was my 5th interaction with an Uber employee and first in-person interview. I wasn't sure if this was the last step, but I believed that it would be the final step, either with or without an offer. It was a rather unstructured, yet very focused interview. I met with the General Manager (GM) of my market and he was a very sharp, analytical, and focused person. The onsite interview lasted about an hour and it was quite challenging. My previous work experience positioned me well for the Marketing Manager role and I was able to answer the questions well and provide relevant examples, give ideas, and reasons to support ideas/strategies. I left the interview feeling quite confident about my performance, but still wasn't sure.

I followed up the next day with an email to my recruiter with supplementary information about some of the ideas/strategies that I had discussed with the GM in my interview. This 1-page document gave a strategy for new markets in my city with data to support these strategies. Two days after I met with the GM, he called me in the afternoon with the good news that they would like to extend me an offer.

Overall, it was a very thorough process, but that's to be expected if you want to work for one of the most sought-after companies in the world. The salary is competitive and you get to work on some awesome projects. If I wasn't selected for the role, I would feel like my ideas were "farmed", but you have to "roll the dice if you want to play the game". I had a strong resume, backed by very relevant previous experience, and nailed every one of my interviews with good documents/followup.

Interview Questions
    • The Creative Assessment is what really weeds out/separates candidates for this role. This is the point where a good candidate stands out from the rest.   Answer Question
    I did not try to negotiate because I was happy with the initial offer. However, looking back, I feel like I should have just tried to negotiate because it seems like everyone should try to negotiate up.

Devops Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Uber in March 2015.

I was contacted by a recruiter on Linkedin about a Devops position. After the initial phone discussion with the recruiter, I was passed along to a senior recruiter to schedule my phone interview.

Immediately, I noticed that I was being scheduled to interview for a different position, specifically for a Software Engineer - Infrastructure position. Realizing this was the incorrect job, I e-mailed the recruiter back, asking if a mistake was made. The response was, “We’re opening a new office, so we’re interviewing for general engineering positions at this time.”

Another followup e-mail had the following, "I understand that you're making sure that you're interviewing for the right job, so it's OK to be concerned."

The phone interview came and went. Overall, the interviewer appeared to be an experienced interviewer. The first 10-15 minutes of the interview focused on my background, what projects I’ve done and how I’ve solved complex problems. The coding question itself was pretty simple, though I got caught up with some of the logic and acknowledged this. Despite the interviewer telling me, “You’re very close,” I was advised the next day they would not be proceeding.

Pros:
    - Discussion with the original recruiter was great.
    - Interviewer was experienced.
    - Interview was fair.
    - Process was very fast.

Cons:
    - Did not interview for the correct job despite assurances to the contrary.
    - A 45 minute coding interview alone cannot uncover enough breadth and depth for a “general engineering” position.

I've rated this as a negative experience mostly because I did not interview for the correct job and because there is more to a "general engineering" position than performance on a 20-minute coding interview.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Uber.

After applying online and talking to the recruiter on the phone I was asked to do a coding challenge. I had as much time as I wanted. The coding challenge was very open. They gave me 5 different public APIs I could use and asked me to build a web app using one of them. I choose one that gave me real time data on transit times and schedules.

After the coding challenge I got flown into their head offices in San Francisco. I had 4 interviews in total, 3 of them technical and the last one was more of a fit interview.

Everyone was very nice and sounded very excited about Uber and it's future. The technical interviews where mostly about algorithms, data structures, etc. They also asked me why I was interested in Uber, they want people that really believe in the product and on what Uber is doing.

Counsel Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Uber.

This is far and away the least professional organization I have ever encountered (and I've worked for start ups in the past).

They create false sense of urgency at random parts of the interview process, only immediately to go dark for months.

The majority of the lawyers I met were very arrogant (acted as if they were doing me a huge favor by interviewing me), but I really can't determine what merits that arrogance (they are not particularly impressive credential-wise, nor in terms of their presence, rather most of these lawyers seemed just to be lucky enough to get on the gravy train while the company was young). They did rave about how long their hours were, as if some kind of badge of pride when more it signaled to me how dysfunctional the legal group there was.

While very friendly, the HR team was pretty scattered, wrote ungrammatical emails, and had lousy follow up.

Interview Questions
    • No substantive interview questions, really just conversations -- and awkward ones at that. I met with 5 members of the legal team. Two of them left after 5 minutes because they were "too busy to meet." One of them was the most socially awkward people I have ever met, she made no eye contact at all, just sat there and checked her phone while we were talking, and then abruptly left because "something came up."

I sat in a tiny conference room by myself for about half the time I was there. Again really a lousy experience that smacked of arrogance and lack of professionalism.

A few weeks after the interviews they followed up with a written exercise that was not at all clear. I submitted it and apparently it fell into a black hole as no one contacted me after that until I sent a "what's going on" email to the recruiters.

Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Uber.

Needed to complete a skills assignment, which required identifying three new opportunities for Uber and developing a complete marketing plan for one. Dedicated a significant amount of time and energy to this assignment and was proud of responses. However, did not even get a phone interview. Agree with others saying Uber is farming ideas or at the minimum not respecting applicants. A case study test asking what is wrong with a particular campaign could reveal the same skills and would not put Uber in the awkward position of looking like it is farming ideas.

Interview Questions
    • Identify Uber's three biggest opportunities for demand growth that can be improved or solved
      with marketing initiatives. Choose one from three you listed and develop a marketing campaign that involves a partner.

Global Operations Analyst Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Uber.

Met with some nice people, including the person who leads the team the position sits under.

Took a VERY difficult timed test, and the process ended there.

Everyone I interviewed with was great, and the process was generally positive. Appreciated that everyone was polite and on top of the process, even though I didn't do well enough on the test to move forward.

Cannot Disclose Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Uber.

Highly disorganized recruiter, probably the worst I've ever dealt with. Recruiter stood me up for two separate phone screens without even sending a note until 30 minutes after scheduled time. Link for skill assessment was broken, so I had to follow-up for that. After taking skills assessment and waiting a few days, I had to ping the recruiter for follow-up. He apparently didn't received a notification, but again I'm having to hold his hand through the process when it should be the other way around. He moved me to next step of the process to have a phone screen with hiring manager. Hiring manager asked real-world case questions of business operations that in my opinion make more sense in-person rather than for a 30 minute phone screen.

Operations and Logistics Manager Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Uber.

The interview process lasted a little over a week and a half. The first phone interview was a simple tell me about yourself and I'll tell you about the role sort of thing. Next came the analytics test which consisted of 32 questions. I don't think I answered the long answer questions properly so I didn't make it past that step.