Uber

Updated Dec 10, 2014
Updated Dec 10, 2014

3.1

Community Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Uber.

This was a very in depth, rigorous interview process. I submitted a cover letter and resume through their website and heard from them to set up an initial phone screening a week later. The phone screening was great to learn a little bit more about what exactly they were looking for and for me to share my background. General questions were asked; what do you currently do, what have you done that relates, how much are you looking to make, ect.

I was then informed that I would be sent a pdf of the next phase of the interview. This was a "homework assignment" which basically outlined the essential job functions. It was lengthy but really gave me a good understanding of what I would be doing in this roll. I had a few days to complete this.

I then heard from the recruiter two weeks later and was invited to do a one on one interview with the General Manager. This was about a 45 minute conversation with questions geared towards getting to know me as a person, my work ethic, personality, reactions ect. (I think). The GM informed me that I would be contacted for the final step.

A few days later I was invited to come in to do a 20 minute presentation and one on one interviews with the team and then meet the team for hours'devours. This was a great way to see if I would fit in and work well with the team.

Overall, the interview process took about two months from the time I submitted my resume to the offer phone call. I was able to show how badly I wanted to be a part of this company and see what the day to day would entail.

No Negotiation

Operations Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Uber in January 2014.

Met an Uber recruiter at my MBA campus event following an awesome presentation about the company. I was seriously excited and the growth and story behind it is just incredible.

Follow up interview & coffee with the recruiter/HR rep to go into more detail about city operations and the role. The depth of this meeting was impressive and much more of a Q&A session. Very refreshing against formal HR screens.

Completed an online supply assessment (I'm from a consulting background, and it was tough) and the timed element made this very tricky.

Contacted straight away and attended an onsite interview two days later with the operational city team (they even sent me a code to take a free ride to the meeting). Interview covered my background, knowledge of Uber. A lot of the interview was around case studies and logical thinking. - The team seemed pretty awesome and were very passionate about Uber, but I did get the impression the role would involve long hours / weekend work.

Recruiter called me a couple of days later and unfortunately I didn't get the role. He did give me detailed feedback though which was really helpful. I'm currently interviewing with multiple firms and this really is a first. Disappointed at not getting the opportunity to work for Uber, but really enjoyed the process and have stayed in touch with the recruiter and even introduced classmates to him (one just got a job).

Felt by the end of the process that I really understood the role, and that's hard to do in an interview. Google & Amazon need to take some tips of these guys.

Operations and Logistics Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Uber in August 2014.

Several steps to the interview process:

1. Initial screening with recruiter at corporate headquarters in San Francisco. This was very difficult to schedule as the recruiter missed our phone call appointment twice and didn't respond to emails so from initial contact to the actual interview was probably 1 1/2 months. Once we linked up, the interview went extremely well. It was 15-20 minutes and was mostly traditional interview questions to determine that I was knowledgeable and motivated about the business: a. Why UBER? b. How would you expand UBER to a new city? c. Why type of analyst experience do you have?

2. Online test. I found this more difficult than many of the reviews here led me to believe. It's NOT just a question of being able to use pivot tables in excel. I had to use many other formulas, on the fly calculations (have pencil and paper ready), graphs in excel, as well as value judgements as to what particular incentive programs would properly motivate drivers. At the very end there are a couple of letters that you need to draft so be speedy with all the quantitative analysis questions or you'll run out of time before you can get to the writing.

I was unsuccessful in passing the online test, which is probably a good thing as the focus on quantitative analysis in it led me to believe that this role is more for number crunchers and less for leaders/motivators. If your used to dealing with large quantities of data and can spit out answers in a hurry, you'll find this interview step easy.

Interview Questions
    • Online test: Using this week's worth of driver data (eyeballs, zeros and completed rides), broken down hourly (168 sets of data, or 504 cells): a. which is the most busy 4 hour period? b. what key performance indicator would you use to assign new drivers? c. Use a visualization to determine the time at which demand exceeds available drivers.   Answer Question

Community Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Uber in September 2014.

Very good phone interview with young recruiter. Then there was the home work. You get an assignment e-mailed to you and you get 24 hours to respond. It was very complex and took me many, many hours to do a good job. A couple of weeks later I got an e-mail rejecting me, but I still think the process was a good one. It really gives you a clear idea of what they will ask you to do if hired, and they get to see how you work under pressure.

Operations and Logistics Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Uber in October 2014.

2hr analytic test = spreadsheet test that most of the good manager will fail. The spreadsheet junkie may do alright. The entry level question on business consulting is not clear.

I am assuming the test were made by a college graduate with some skills in xl, and zero work experience in the field

Software Engineer (Infrastructure) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Uber.

*Phone screen with manager. He was nice asked about stuff I have worked on. Sent me online coding challenge.

*Invited onsite and had a bunch of paired interviewers. Most of them seemed really arrogant. Except one of them most of them seemed to be like technicians who had CCNA kind of certification and asked silly bookish questions. There was one from Infra who was a staff engineer and was extremely condescending. Most of the questions were very tough and the interviewers seemed to have a list that they would ask these questions from. I did not like the vibe of the people working there nor did I like the interviewers.

I think the company is doing financially very well and growing explosively but their culture is horrible and people are not nice. Do not recommend working for Uber. They are not very open and comfortable negotiating salary or stock options either.

Uber Driver Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Uber in November 2014.

Extremely difficult. Only communication through e-mail. So much paperwork. Nothing went smoothly. During the whole process I was receiving texts from Uber telling me to hurry because I would be receiving a $1000 a weekend. When I was officially signed on, the e-mails abruptly stopped. The most that I have made on a weekend is less than $300 for 20hrs.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Uber in November 2014.

Uber was incredibly kind to me throughout the whole process. I had a phone interview, where we went through a matrix navigation problem to search for an element. In the final round interviews, I got to talk about economics, statistics, and computer science in each of three interviews, allowing me to see a really nice wholescale view of the company.

Interview Questions
    • Design a price surge system, both at a high level and the architecture   Answer Question

Operations Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Uber in August 2014.

Recruited via an MBA business school event in London and had a completely different experience to the one outlined below. I'm pretty sure that I could be the, quote "half wit" mentioned in the review, as I did get a job at Uber and do have a big bank on my CV.

My recruitment process lasted 3 weeks and was flawless.

Following the MBA event I completed an analytical exercise
    On completion, the recruiter confirmed that I had passed, and would be invited for interview
    Attended a pleasant comp/case based interview with two driver operations managers
    A week later I met with the UK Lead
    Offer followed - good base salary (slight increase on my pre MBA) but the equity is where I see the real upside.

My experience of the recruitment process was just like Uber, super fast paced! What I would say is that my experience working at a bank had no reflection on me securing the job, Uber interview on key competencies. I was already a big user and passionate about the company and what I could bring to the table.

Glassdoor is a great platform to research companies so I was keen to post a review and give a fair reflection of the Uber recruitment process. The team tries to find the best opportunity for you, and doing that sometimes takes time. I just hope you read this ex banker, half wit, Uber review :)

Interview Questions
    accepted first offer with increased equity

General Manager Interview

I applied through other source – interviewed at Uber in June 2014.

Con in contact with the SF based recruiter via a contact. Straightforward Skype interview, with some questions about the local market and several about how I would recruit and work with drivers. Passed onto analytics test, sent a dataset and given 2 hours to answer about 30 questions. Data required some pivot table work and some fairly detailed and nuanced answers (for someone not coming from a data heavy background). Two short essay type questions at the end, one involved writing a newsletter to drivers. Got an email the next day saying I had not passed the test.