Uber

86 candidate interviews

Very Difficult Interview

Logistics and Operations Manager Interview

Philadelphia, PA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Uber in March 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online and got a quick response. Phone call with HR person from San Francisco HQ, Quynh, who was nice but definitely a bit all over the place with her questions and professional demeanor (heard lots of noise in background during phone call).

2 hour analytics test (28 multiple choice and 4 free response) as other people have noted. Pivot tables will get you most of the Excel answers, but there are about 5-6 questions that test your reasoning about what affects Surge Pricing the most, what KPI are most important for drivers to maximize earnings, best calculation of supply utilization, etc. The free response are not too bad.

Next, I had another short phone interview and was invited to interview in person. This is where I started to notice some undesirable traits about the company. First, I was given a red solo cup of tap water only after I requested a water. Second, the office itself was dirty (bathroom included), and not once was I offered a tour or anything. Third, I was put in a small room that was freezing for my interview. They make you bring in your own laptop for the interview, which is annoying.

I was told 1 day prior to interview that they had to reschedule and did not say sorry or explain themselves. So I had to wait 4 more days. Great job, Uber...

I had 3 sessions with different exercises in each. See questions section below for specifics. I found the GM and one of the Operations managers to be extremely awkward, cold and uninterested throughout the interview. I can only imagine how they interact with the drivers and other non-Uber users...no personality at all! They asked me exactly 0 questions about myself, experience or interests. They think their exercises are the only thing that matters, and that they can just sit there. In reality, the interviewers also need to put in work to make the experience better and more effective (good luck with that one!)

I had another offer, so I told them I needed to know that day and I ended up getting a one sentence, generic "moving in another direction" email from the GM that is beneath what I would send to an unqualified stranger, let alone a qualified applicant who spent hours at your office. So glad I am not working there (the potential payoff of an equity event would be my only motivation).

Interview Question – 1. Uber Luxury line...discuss the logistics from driver and rider perspectives.
2. Number of drivers and zeroes are increasing from last week...reasons why that might be?
3. Competitor comes in, what would you say to drivers to keep them (no retention bonuses)?
4. Positives/negatives of more Uber drivers going from part-time to full-time?
5. If all taxi/limo companies are exhausted, where would you look for drivers? How would you reach them and/or advertise?
6. If driver took quicker/more expensive route over longer/less expensive and rider complained...what would you do?
7. Rider accuses driver of demanding a tip (driver denies it), how do you deal with driver?

Modeling: Build business model for a single driver with given costs. Make sure you can explain assumptions fully. Then, price UberX given certain different info.
  Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Community Manager Interview

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Uber.

Interview Details – This was a very in depth, rigorous interview process. I submitted a cover letter and resume through their website and heard from them to set up an initial phone screening a week later. The phone screening was great to learn a little bit more about what exactly they were looking for and for me to share my background. General questions were asked; what do you currently do, what have you done that relates, how much are you looking to make, ect.

I was then informed that I would be sent a pdf of the next phase of the interview. This was a "homework assignment" which basically outlined the essential job functions. It was lengthy but really gave me a good understanding of what I would be doing in this roll. I had a few days to complete this.

I then heard from the recruiter two weeks later and was invited to do a one on one interview with the General Manager. This was about a 45 minute conversation with questions geared towards getting to know me as a person, my work ethic, personality, reactions ect. (I think). The GM informed me that I would be contacted for the final step.

A few days later I was invited to come in to do a 20 minute presentation and one on one interviews with the team and then meet the team for hours'devours. This was a great way to see if I would fit in and work well with the team.

Overall, the interview process took about two months from the time I submitted my resume to the offer phone call. I was able to show how badly I wanted to be a part of this company and see what the day to day would entail.

Interview Question – With no budget, how would you spread the UberLove?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No Negotiation

Operations and Logistics Manager

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Uber in February 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online mid January and received a phone call mid February around 6:30pm on a Friday night.

Here are the steps that followed:

1) Sunday night: 5-10 minute phone call with someone at the Uber office I had applied to, general background questions, are you eligible to work in the United States etc. The person I spoke to also asked right off the bat what I was looking for in salary and stated that they had been hiring people between the $60 - $65K range, and that number was implied to be rather inflexible.

2) Tuesday: Two hour timed analytics test, completed online. You download two CSV files and use that data to answer 28 multiple choice questions. Twenty of the 28 questions had to do with straight data analysis (which 10 hour span in the course of two weeks had the most requests), while the remaining eight were a bit more interpretive (which of the following metrics would be most valuable for determining demand). The final four questions were free-form essay answers. Ones I recall are: Write a letter to drivers (can be for an upcoming holiday or just a general newsletter), which of two given bonus structures would be better in incentivizing drivers to work (fixed per ride, fixed per hour, variable but a minimum of rides required). I would say I am pretty good with Excel and a fast writer and I finished in about 1 hour 45 minutes. There were only about 3 questions that were very difficult.

3) Thursday/Friday: Two 20-30 minute phone interviews with members of the Uber team at the location where I applied. The first 10 minutes or so each time was comprised of the general tell us about your resume, why do you want to leave your company, why Uber in particular type questions. The next 10-15 minutes had questions like how would you sell an existing taxi driver on using Uber (biggest one was safety), why don't taxi drivers like using credit cards (taxes, a cut of the money gets taken out by processing fees, they don't get the money right away like cash) and some other questions that I can't recall. The last few minutes are opened up to the candidate to ask them questions.

4) Following Wednesday: Two hour interview at the Uber office consisting of four 30-minute panels. Each panel was 3-4 people asking me questions. There were at least three other people being interviewed for the same position concurrently, so the panelists rotated between us. Mine was conducted inside a room full of random Uber-related supplies and storage units. The interview took place from 6-8pm on a Wednesday night, which seems a bit asinine given that most people applying already worked a full day beforehand but perhaps Uber wants to see how candidates perform when they're both tired and stressed, who knows. In each panel maybe 2 minutes are devoted to hearing about you as a person or candidate (tell us about your resume... hmm I see here you've worked for X for Y years, tell us about that) -- after that they jump right in to questions. There is little to no time to make a connection with your interviewers, it's really all about being able to answer the specific questions they ask. Despite the fact that I heard over and over again how everyone who works at Uber came from other industries 100% of the questions were about Uber-specific processes or items, there was not a single general aptitude or skills question until the final panel asked "Tell us about a project you worked on that you were proud of," or something to that effect. See the "Interview Questions" section below for examples.

At the end of one of the panels, almost as an afterthought, the last question I was asked was: Tell us something you're passionate about. I thought, stupidly, that this was a genuine attempt to get to know me as a person so I answered with a legitimate answer -- let's say it was fine dining. Instead of the expected reply prompting me to share a human anecdote or a commonality between the interviewer and myself he replied "OK great, make a PowerPoint presentation about fine dining and send it to me by <looks at watch> 8pm tomorrow night." I asked for more direction and was told, essentially, sell me on fine dining. I wasn't told if this was supposed to be a test of my presentation skills, sales skills or just a signal that I was devoted to this job. I have a real life with other responsibilities, so I spent about 2 hours the next morning before work putting something together and sent it in.

The next time I heard from Uber was 5-6 days later I received a generic form email at 11pm informing me they'd decided to go in a different direction. I was not particularly inclined to inquire as to why I was not selected.

Interview Question – From the in-person panel interviews:

- Uber is opening up a city remotely (i.e. Milwaukee will be operated out of Chicago). How would you make the drivers in Milwaukee feel equal to the drivers in Chicago. This was maybe the worst, most vague question of them all.
- Uber drops you in a new market (i.e. Oklahoma City) and says you have two weeks until we open here - go! What do you do?
- Say an Uber black car driver makes $30/ride with a 20% commission. How do you convince him to upgrade to a new made up service UberSuper with a 25% commission? What costs will the driver incur in upgrading. How much more will he have to make each week, etc. Note: it's not enough to just walk them through mentally how you'd do this, be prepared to do the math on the fly. Very annoying.
- An Uber competitor opens in your city with unlimited cash capital, if you were them how would you steal Uber's customers? If you were Uber how would you convince drivers not to leave?
  View Answers (3)

Operations and Logistics Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Uber.

Interview Details – Initial interview was a simple fit phone call, with questions like "walk me through your resume" and "what are your salary expectations. Second Part is the Analytics test: 28 multiple choice question on excel data they provide for you and 4 open ended questions related to email communication with drivers, etc. It's a challenge mainly due to the timed aspect. If you know how to work pivot tables and manage your time well though, it's should be straightforward. Third came the in office interview, with several rounds of fit and consulting-style stress interviews. The key here is fit, because you will be spending a lot of time with would-be fellow employees. My recommendation is to use it as an opportunity to both show your best side and find out if you can see yourself working with the team.

Interview Question – Where do you see yourself adding value here?   View Answer

Product Manager Interview

Interviewed at Uber

Interview Details – The first interview was with an HR person. The interview started with him listening to my job history. Halfway through the interview, he asked about salary. When I said what I was making, he said that they couldn't match that and asked if there was flexibility. He quoted a number that was 20% less than than what I currently make and said that was the upper end of the range. At the end of the interview, he asked if I wouldn't mind doing a homework assignment. He said that the short homework assignment takes most people "about 4 hours to do" and could be done "in multiple evenings". I probably spent 6-7 hours writing it up and thought the end result was pretty good. The next day I was emailed a boiler plate rejection letter without explanation. I'm curious if other people had similar results to what I experienced.

Interview Question – There is a data point that indicates that there are more Uber drop-offs at the airport than pick-ups from the airport. Why is this the case and what would you do within the product to change that?   Answer Question

Operations and Logistics Manager

Interview Details – Round 1: Phone interview with HR Rep. Round 2: 2 hour analytics test. Downloaded a couple of flat files and answered ~35 questions (multiple choice and free response) using the provided data. Round 3: Phone interview with the hiring manager. Round 4: Superday on site at the office. 4 rounds of 30 minute panel interviews followed by a presentation to the whole team.

Interview Question – If nobody knew about surge pricing, how would you explain it and justify using it? How would you go about implementing it? Specifically, based on what factors would prices be changed and in what regions?   Answer Question

Community Manager Interview

Community Manager

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Uber in November 2012.

Interview Details – The interview process moves very quickly, but that's about the only positive I have to say for it.

You'll speak to an HR person for a few minutes (general screen), then you'll be asked to complete a creative review. While the concept is great, there are some serious flaws. The creative exercise took me quite a few hours. I had two write two blog posts, responses to customer emails and tweets, and a variety of other tasks. While I was in the middle of the responses, I was fine with this step in the process, but looking back, I felt it was overkill.

After that, they'll ask you to go through a series of Skype interview. Just a word to Uber: don't use Skype unless you have an internet connection to support it. I took the time to get a landline, headset, and find a quiet place to have the interview and you should likely do the same.

In my experience, I had a very difficult time scheduling my Skype interviews. I felt very much like a low priority. Their requests for interviews were last minute - I did my best to accomodate them during the holidays (Thanksgiving), but they changed the time several times, and stood me up on one skype interview. I was also asked to write MORE blog posts for a SECOND creative exercise after this.

After your skype interviews, you'll then have ANOTHER interview - this time, in person, potentially with several people. Another note for Uber - please be up front with your process in terms of how long interviews will be. An hour and a half is not a "quick meeting."

In the end, though I had gone through the entire process, talked to a variety of people and essentially reached the last step in the process, I received a form letter telling me that they would not be pursuing an offer with me. Form letter. From uber hr - not even a name.

For a company who relies on being personable to it's consumers, this was a shock. Uber would do well to remember that the people they are interviewing are likely ALSO consumers. Or were consumers, as the case is with me.

Interview Question – Come up with a creative marketing experience for UBER and write a blog post about it.   Answer Question

Mobile Applications Engineer Interview

San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Uber.

Interview Details – Phone interview and then coding exercise

Interview Question – They give the coding exercise for one simple mobile application and said that it should not take more than 4 hrs and if it does then no need to add new features. I worked on basic feature which took almost 8 hrs and had no time to improve UX. I submitted the exercise and they get back to me saying that they have decided to move on. One thing I didn't get is what they are looking for exercise? I have the basic feature working bug free. The UI was decent. The UX was not bad although it could be improved but had no time for that.

I believe Uber has product people working on UX then why they are looking for engineer who does great UX. Engineer is the person who will be converting product spec into working code. To evaluate or reject engineer based on incomplete UX is insane. I am glad that I did not wasted more time on that. Advice to interviewers: Change your thinking about engineer, you are hiring some one who will be engineer, not product manager with technical knowledge. Atleast he deserves the decent interview process. You can not waste anyone's 8 hrs on coding exercise and reject him not based on code or knowledge he has but based on UX.
  Answer Question

Operations and Logistics Manager

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Uber.

Interview Details – HR phone screen, 2 hour data test, 30 minute call with manager from nyc office, and 4 hour in person interview. It was overall a very well-run process, especially by Quynh in the SF office. The only downside that is a bit illogical is the fact that they cant share interview feedback because of the "competitive nature of the applicant pool". But if sites like glassdoor exists, then what is the point of holding back constructive criticism for candidates who dont get offers? Was annoyed by that but otherwise a great experience.

Also note that people in the NYC office told me they work crazy hours and miss holidays regularly.

Interview Question – Tell us about an app feature you'd like fixed and how you'd roll that out from a driver perspective.   Answer Question

Associate General Manager Interview

Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Uber.

Interview Details – Applied based on recommendation from a friend who is a Community Manager there. Had an initial 30 minute conversation with Recruiter Eden who was very nice and friendly. Asked about my experience, things I am most proud of, challenges and successes.

Next step was an analytics exercise for 2 hours using Excel. Give you a few hundred lines of data on drivers and usage and ask you 3 in depth questions on fleet management. Pretty challenging given the time limit and the fact that you have to make some pretty serious assumptions given the minimal additional information.

After a few week delay I was contacted for a potential follow up given the original opportunity was filled.

Interview Question – The analytics exercise. If you're rusty with pivot tables and data assumptions make sure to brush up before stage two.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Uber

Worked for Uber? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Uber interview questions and advice. All 86 interview reviews posted anonymously by Uber employees and interview candidates.