Uber Interview Questions

Updated Apr 27, 2015

3.1

Community Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Uber.

Interview

This was a very in depth, rigorous interview process. I submitted a cover letter and resume through their website and heard from them to set up an initial phone screening a week later. The phone screening was great to learn a little bit more about what exactly they were looking for and for me to share my background. General questions were asked; what do you currently do, what have you done that relates, how much are you looking to make, ect.

I was then informed that I would be sent a pdf of the next phase of the interview. This was a "homework assignment" which basically outlined the essential job functions. It was lengthy but really gave me a good understanding of what I would be doing in this roll. I had a few days to complete this.

I then heard from the recruiter two weeks later and was invited to do a one on one interview with the General Manager. This was about a 45 minute conversation with questions geared towards getting to know me as a person, my work ethic, personality, reactions ect. (I think). The GM informed me that I would be contacted for the final step.

A few days later I was invited to come in to do a 20 minute presentation and one on one interviews with the team and then meet the team for hours'devours. This was a great way to see if I would fit in and work well with the team.

Overall, the interview process took about two months from the time I submitted my resume to the offer phone call. I was able to show how badly I wanted to be a part of this company and see what the day to day would entail.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No Negotiation

Operations Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Uber (London, England (UK)) in January 2014.

Interview

Met an Uber recruiter at my MBA campus event following an awesome presentation about the company. I was seriously excited and the growth and story behind it is just incredible.

Follow up interview & coffee with the recruiter/HR rep to go into more detail about city operations and the role. The depth of this meeting was impressive and much more of a Q&A session. Very refreshing against formal HR screens.

Completed an online supply assessment (I'm from a consulting background, and it was tough) and the timed element made this very tricky.

Contacted straight away and attended an onsite interview two days later with the operational city team (they even sent me a code to take a free ride to the meeting). Interview covered my background, knowledge of Uber. A lot of the interview was around case studies and logical thinking. - The team seemed pretty awesome and were very passionate about Uber, but I did get the impression the role would involve long hours / weekend work.

Recruiter called me a couple of days later and unfortunately I didn't get the role. He did give me detailed feedback though which was really helpful. I'm currently interviewing with multiple firms and this really is a first. Disappointed at not getting the opportunity to work for Uber, but really enjoyed the process and have stayed in touch with the recruiter and even introduced classmates to him (one just got a job).

Felt by the end of the process that I really understood the role, and that's hard to do in an interview. Google & Amazon need to take some tips of these guys.

Community Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Uber (San Francisco, CA) in September 2014.

Interview

Very good phone interview with young recruiter. Then there was the home work. You get an assignment e-mailed to you and you get 24 hours to respond. It was very complex and took me many, many hours to do a good job. A couple of weeks later I got an e-mail rejecting me, but I still think the process was a good one. It really gives you a clear idea of what they will ask you to do if hired, and they get to see how you work under pressure.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Uber in August 2014.

Interview

Several steps to the interview process:

1. Initial screening with recruiter at corporate headquarters in San Francisco. This was very difficult to schedule as the recruiter missed our phone call appointment twice and didn't respond to emails so from initial contact to the actual interview was probably 1 1/2 months. Once we linked up, the interview went extremely well. It was 15-20 minutes and was mostly traditional interview questions to determine that I was knowledgeable and motivated about the business: a. Why UBER? b. How would you expand UBER to a new city? c. Why type of analyst experience do you have?

2. Online test. I found this more difficult than many of the reviews here led me to believe. It's NOT just a question of being able to use pivot tables in excel. I had to use many other formulas, on the fly calculations (have pencil and paper ready), graphs in excel, as well as value judgements as to what particular incentive programs would properly motivate drivers. At the very end there are a couple of letters that you need to draft so be speedy with all the quantitative analysis questions or you'll run out of time before you can get to the writing.

I was unsuccessful in passing the online test, which is probably a good thing as the focus on quantitative analysis in it led me to believe that this role is more for number crunchers and less for leaders/motivators. If your used to dealing with large quantities of data and can spit out answers in a hurry, you'll find this interview step easy.

Interview Questions

• Online test: Using this week's worth of driver data (eyeballs, zeros and completed rides), broken down hourly (168 sets of data, or 504 cells): a. which is the most busy 4 hour period? b. what key performance indicator would you use to assign new drivers? c. Use a visualization to determine the time at which demand exceeds available drivers.   1 Answer

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Uber in October 2014.

Interview

2hr analytic test = spreadsheet test that most of the good manager will fail. The spreadsheet junkie may do alright. The entry level question on business consulting is not clear.

I am assuming the test were made by a college graduate with some skills in xl, and zero work experience in the field

Software Engineer (Infrastructure) Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Uber (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

*Phone screen with manager. He was nice asked about stuff I have worked on. Sent me online coding challenge.

*Invited onsite and had a bunch of paired interviewers. Most of them seemed really arrogant. Except one of them most of them seemed to be like technicians who had CCNA kind of certification and asked silly bookish questions. There was one from Infra who was a staff engineer and was extremely condescending. Most of the questions were very tough and the interviewers seemed to have a list that they would ask these questions from. I did not like the vibe of the people working there nor did I like the interviewers.

I think the company is doing financially very well and growing explosively but their culture is horrible and people are not nice. Do not recommend working for Uber. They are not very open and comfortable negotiating salary or stock options either.

Uber Driver Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Uber in November 2014.

Interview

Extremely difficult. Only communication through e-mail. So much paperwork. Nothing went smoothly. During the whole process I was receiving texts from Uber telling me to hurry because I would be receiving a $1000 a weekend. When I was officially signed on, the e-mails abruptly stopped. The most that I have made on a weekend is less than $300 for 20hrs.

Operations and Logistics Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Singapore (Singapore)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Uber (Singapore (Singapore)) in December 2014.

Interview

Unpleasant recruitment process; HR - not accomodating, not co-operative; Unpleasant recruitment process; Requested for another day other than the days HR wanted for interview and got a reply from HR that they were not proceeding with the interview and all because I could not go for the days HR wanted to interview!

Marketing Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 7+ weeksinterviewed at Uber.

Interview

I applied online through Uber.com's career page at the end of November and received my offer for Marketing Manager at the end of January. A very thorough, 2-month process. I submitted my cover letter/resume and answered the questions on the Uber.com application page.

After submitting my initial cover letter and resume, I was contacted by a recruiter about 4 days later to setup a first phone screening. At this point, I researched the position here on Glassdoor and saw some negative comments about "idea farming" from potential candidates, and became a bit jaded about the process, but still decided to continue and give it a shot. The 1st phone screening was as-expected, standard first-round questions. The first phone screening lasted about 25 mins and went well. The next day I was asked to participate in a second round of phone interviews with another recruiter. This was a similar process with similar questions, probably a bit more focused to the role in question.

After the second round of phone interviews, I got an email the next day asking me to complete the "Marketing Manager Creative Assignment" - just as I had read would happen from previous reviews here on Glassdoor. The comments about "idea farming" from potential candidates came to mind, yet I decided to still complete the assignment. I began slowly and it took me just over two weeks from the time I was given the assignment until the day I returned it to my recruiter. The Creative Assignment was pretty challenging. There were 5 total sections with specific objectives for each section. I ended up getting the offer for the position, so I don't feel like my ideas were stolen, however, if someone went through this whole process and completed the exercise, but they were not chosen for the role, I could see how they might feel their ideas/work were taken. However, the reality is that not everyone can get the role, you have to do the work and roll the dice, hoping that it works out in the end. My Creative Assignment was 11 pages long when I returned it to my recruiter and I felt pretty confident about the quality of my ideas, strategy, etc.

It took over a week after I submitted my Creative Assignment until I heard back from my recruiter. Granted it was partially during the holidays and she was sick during that time. After about 10 days, I heard back that I would be moved on to 2 more phone interviews, interview #3 & 4. They were scheduled both on one day, with two, 30-minute consecutive appointments: 11AM & 11:30AM. These 2 interviews were much more detailed and challenging. Asking questions about specific campaigns I have been involved with, what made them successful, how would I handle an event launch, describe a good on-demand stunt, etc. Some questions involved analytics to see how you think using number and promotional metrics. Each of these interviews ran just over 30 mins, about 35 minutes a piece. The final phone interviews were with senior level marketing managers outside of my market.

The day after the 3rd & 4th phone interviews I was asked to come onsite for my first in-person interview. This was my 5th interaction with an Uber employee and first in-person interview. I wasn't sure if this was the last step, but I believed that it would be the final step, either with or without an offer. It was a rather unstructured, yet very focused interview. I met with the General Manager (GM) of my market and he was a very sharp, analytical, and focused person. The onsite interview lasted about an hour and it was quite challenging. My previous work experience positioned me well for the Marketing Manager role and I was able to answer the questions well and provide relevant examples, give ideas, and reasons to support ideas/strategies. I left the interview feeling quite confident about my performance, but still wasn't sure.

I followed up the next day with an email to my recruiter with supplementary information about some of the ideas/strategies that I had discussed with the GM in my interview. This 1-page document gave a strategy for new markets in my city with data to support these strategies. Two days after I met with the GM, he called me in the afternoon with the good news that they would like to extend me an offer.

Overall, it was a very thorough process, but that's to be expected if you want to work for one of the most sought-after companies in the world. The salary is competitive and you get to work on some awesome projects. If I wasn't selected for the role, I would feel like my ideas were "farmed", but you have to "roll the dice if you want to play the game". I had a strong resume, backed by very relevant previous experience, and nailed every one of my interviews with good documents/followup.

Interview Questions

• The Creative Assessment is what really weeds out/separates candidates for this role. This is the point where a good candidate stands out from the rest.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I did not try to negotiate because I was happy with the initial offer. However, looking back, I feel like I should have just tried to negotiate because it seems like everyone should try to negotiate up.

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Uber.

Interview

Met with some nice people, including the person who leads the team the position sits under.

Took a VERY difficult timed test, and the process ended there.

Everyone I interviewed with was great, and the process was generally positive. Appreciated that everyone was polite and on top of the process, even though I didn't do well enough on the test to move forward.