Uber

Updated Apr 16, 2014

Getting the Interview

88 candidate interviews

Operations and Logistics Manager Interview

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Uber.

Interview Details – I was scheduled for a phone interview by the recruiter. The recruiter never called and sent out an email 15 minutes after the appointment stating "decided to move forward with a different candidate".

Extremely unprofessional of a company to waste candidates' time preparing for these interviews and giving no respect to their applicants.

Software Developer Interview

I applied online and interviewed at Uber.

Interview Details – I spoke with a technical recruiter at Uber and answered his questions. It was more of an investigation into my background and experience. At the end of the interview my information was passed on to the hiring manager but I never heard back which just seems like poor etiquette on their part.

Interview Question – There weren't really any difficult or unexpected question since this was a preliminary interview.   Answer Question

Community Manager Interview

I applied online and interviewed at Uber.

Interview Details – When I initially applied at Uber, I was really excited. Even more so when the recruiter got back to me quickly to set up a phone interview.

However, after reading all of the reviews of the interview process here I became a little skeptical. Regardless, I prepared for the phone screening and had a nice conversation with one of the recruiters. She was cordial and enjoyable to talk to. No problem there. But I didn't feel like I really did as well as I would have liked in the interview and, after having done some due diligence on Uber and the caliber of employees they have and are looking for, don't really feel like I warranted a second interview.

Surprisingly (or not), the recruiter suggested I move forward with the Community Manager Creative Assignment. It's pretty extensive (you can find the questions online if you google around a bit) and you can see why they would want you to complete it. I'm not opposed to the use of assignments during the interview process, but I was already skeptical of Uber's hiring practices so I ultimately (for a few different reasons) decided to excuse myself from the opportunity (without completing the assignment).

I emailed the recruiter and politely informed her that I wouldn't be moving forward in the process. I never heard back from her at all and that was it.

Interview Question – Give an example of a time you had to solve a problem creatively and how it worked, what happened, etc.   Answer Question

Community Manager

I applied through other source and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Uber.

Interview Details – Spoke with person for round 1 - after brief 10 minutes he/she said they would be forwarding me the creative assignment. extensive and ridiculous - i should have listened to all of those who came before me - you work hard to only find out that the company couldn't care less and will likely send you some generic email saying they've opted to go with someone else. entire process occurred within 1 month.

Interview Question – the creative project is an unethical method of stealing the ideas from those who aren't currently employed with the company. majority of questions on sheet focus on twitter responses, customer service and math.   View Answer

Atlanta, GA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Uber.

Interview Details – Initial phone screening was informal and brief. In line with the other candidates who have posted here, you are given a creative marketing assignment that is a grab bag of customer service replies mixed with different marketing initiatives that you would create, which incidentally some of the information given from my reply were incorporated into live Tweets...
Once I submitted my creative assignment I never received a confirmation email and had to send multiple emails to the recruiter who kept promising me that feedback would be returned, took a month to be told that I did not fit their mold.

I find it to be very unprofessional to keep telling a candidate that you will receive feedback on a certain date, to then not follow up and keep him or her in the loop.

Interview Question – Trying to figure out an ROI for an unknown client base.   Answer Question

Community Manager

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Uber.

Interview Details – I submitted an application, they responded by email 3 months later. First there was a phone interview, which lasted about 15 minutes and asked very basic first interview questions (tell me about yourself, why uber? tell me about being in a challenging situation and how you overcame it...etc). At the end of this interview they said the hiring process would be 3 weeks total and consist of 2 interviews, a homework assignment, and a group day project with existing employees and other applicants. The homework assignment was a very time-consuming marketing exercise full of hypothetical emails, tweets, blogs, and a "laundry list" of marketing ideas for the company. I kind of think they send this out to a bunch of hopeful applicants with no intention of hiring them just to get free ideas. I submitted the assignment within 3 days of the first interview and received an email a week later saying they are really busy and will get back to me soon. My next email was about a week after that saying it was not the right fit at this time.

Interview Question – part of the homework assignment ask specifics about marketing metrics and gave specific numbers and margins to analyze.   Answer Question

San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Uber in August 2013.

Interview Details – I am a little surprised at all the negative comments, but then again they are all on the internet which tends to be a cesspool of negativity. My experience, which may be clouded by the fact that I loved the product before I applied, and ended up receiving and accepting an offer, was a decidedly positive one.

I applied online and received an email from the Uber recruiter a day or two later asking when I was free to do the initial phone interview. After about a 20 minute chat about my background and how it applies to what I'd be doing at Uber, the recruiter said she'd send me the creative exercise and would like me to complete it in the next couple of days.

For me, this was an amazing opportunity to showcase my talent as a writer and my ability to come up with fun, relevant, and a little bit wacky ideas about how to grow the business and increase customer engagement. I don't think it is out of line to ask an applicant to complete a HW assignment that mirrors their would-be daily work. If you are the sort of person who thinks this is superfluous and not worth your time, then maybe you shouldn't apply there. Think about it from their perspective: if you're not motivated enough to complete their sample assignment (which by the way is a lot of fun), why would they think you would be motivated as a future employee?

Anyway, I completed the assignment and sent it in on a Wednesday afternoon. I didn't hear from my recruiter contact, so on the following Monday I sent her a follow up email. She responded promptly and said that my HW was under review. A day or two later she scheduled the second round interview.

Here is where my experience is going to differ from pretty much every other candidate. It just so happens that I currently work in the same building in which Uber is located (just 2 floors below), so when they asked when I would be free to do the video chat, I responded by asking if we could just go downstairs and meet for coffee. They liked this idea. The first attempt at the coffee round didn't work out due to some scheduling issues, but on the day that it actually happened, I had a really good conversation with my now new manager and one of my now new teammates about how I can help improve their team and help their customers. It certainly was to my advantage to have been able to meet them face to face rather than via a video conference, and whether it was because of that, or my promising potential, my recruiter emailed me later that day saying I had made it to the next round.

The final round involved meeting the team in San Francisco. I made the long trip up to the 5th floor and spent about 2 hours with all my future teammates and managers. What I liked most about this experience was the relevance of the questions they asked me -- there were none of the inane "what's your greatest weakness" sort of interview questions which only prompt the candidate to lie and conceal what his or her real weaknesses are. I loved everyone I met with, and it felt much more like a dialogue than a Q and A session. I felt like I really "clicked" with all of them and could easily see myself fitting in well there. They obviously felt the same way because I got an email from the recruiter a couple of hours later asking if I had time to talk the following day. The 'talk' as it turned out was to walk me through my job offer.

Overall, I had a very positive experience. I've interviewed with many companies and would rank this experience among the best. Not just because I got what I wanted, but because it felt like a human process -- in every round they were able to quickly decide if they wanted to move forward with me, much like you would if you met someone in a non-work environment. My recruiter was prompt, responsive, and overall just really friendly, positive, and nice.

I know my experience is a bit of an anomaly, but I would encourage anyone who loves Uber and would love to join our team to not be dissuaded by the adjacent negative reviews and apply with a positive attitude. Good luck!

Interview Question – How would you automate the lost item recovery process without eliminating the human element?   Answer Question

General Manager Interview

Interviewed at Uber

Interview Details – Hunter directly sent me an email in linkedin and asked if I'm interested in an opportunity from a famous startup from Silicon Valley - Uber. I said yes. Then, one week later, Uber HR, a nice guy, gave me a call, lasting for 60 minutes. He asked me to quickly go through my study and working experience from high school to current job, followed by some common questions.

Interview Question – What you will do to promote Uber in your city?   View Answer

Logistics and Operations Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Uber in April 2014.

Interview Details – I was called up and selected for an interview for the Logistics/Operations Manager role. I work on Wall St right now so I make about $90K base plus bonus. During the phone interview, I was told that I would have to take a reduction in the salary, but I'm compensated by equity/stock options. I spoke to another current Uber employee, who indicated that the salary is closer to $70K, but that his stock options will likely be worth $500K (I think this was an exaggeration) when Uber is worldwide and fully implemented (probably 10 years from now). When you think about it from a financial perspective, it really is not worth it for Wall St bankers/traders. Uber requires you to work 13-16 hours a day, including weekends, and wants to pay you a $70K base with stock options that will likely get extremely diluted (just look at how many job postings they have, that class of shares will continue to get diluted as they hire more people). Anyways, at my current position in 5 years I will likely be making $180K plus bonus and working 10-14 hours a day, and in 10 years it should be $300k plus bonus - so this did not really make sense for me.

I want to point out that it seems that Uber may be data farming through the hiring process. The questions they ask are mostly around what you would do different at Uber, and what your ideas are for the company's growth. I think that many of these job postings may just be methods of data farming to obtain new ideas for the company, instead of the company actually looking to fill the spot. Just a thought, unlikely but still possible - if this is the case, then it is a brilliant way to get new ideas without actually paying you for it.

That is pretty much why I withdrew from the interview process and did not want to proceed to the final round.

Interview Question – Whether I would be okay taking a salary reduction but working more hours...   Answer Question

Singapore (Singapore)

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Uber in December 2013.

Interview Details – got a one liner email to arrange a skype call, still to hear from them after one round of interview.

Interview Question – Not that difficult   View Answer

Reason for Declining – heavily unbalanced work life

Interviews for Top Jobs at Uber

Worked for Uber? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Uber interview questions and advice. All 88 interview reviews posted anonymously by Uber employees and interview candidates.