Uber

153 candidate interviews

Operations and Logistics Manager Interview

Operations and Logistics Manager
Paris (France)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Uber in July 2014.

Interview Details – Applied mid July

1/ I was sent a link to take the 2hrs analytics test. As described the test was 32 questions. 17 of them were straight analysis from 2 Excel CSV files. The rest was about Uber metrics and ratios and the 3 last questions were essay answers. Exactly the same as described by the others. Be prepared with pivot tables, filters, V lookup. I missed a few minutes to finish the last written question but if you are fast at Excel, it should be ok.

2/ A few days later, I had a facetime call with the HR (little cases on Uber), lasted 1hr.

3/ 10 days later : had a 1hr interview in the Paris office with two Operations and Logistics Manager, very nice, little cases as well, very consulting style, motivation questions, fit, they wanted to know how I see Uber, what are the opportunities to grow, my ideas to help Uber in its growth. Be prepared to have fresh ideas and to think about numbers : how many drivers in your city, average trip time, the fixed and variable costs. The fit and motivation is very important here.

4/ In the last two weeks, I had two final interviews (1hr each) with the Regional Managers, one facetime and one in their office, again very consulting style.

The process was long but all the people from Uber I met were very nice and welcoming. The RH always kept me informed along the process. Excellent experience.

Interview Question – Some questions I remember from the interviews:
- How do you hire 200 drivers in one week in a new city (detailed process)
- How would you manage 1000 very angry drivers in front of the office
- What do you take into account fin your pricing / How do you come with a minimum ride price
- How can you flag a driver working with a competitor app
  Answer Question

Global Operations Analyst Interview

Global Operations Analyst
San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Uber.

Interview Details – Was referred by a friend to this role and was contacted ~2 weeks later for a phone screen. The interviewer was 10 minutes late and asked standard questions regarding different aspects of my current work experience. He was terse and did not try to make the discussion conversational. I heard back 2 days later that they would not proceed.

Interview Question – Tell me about your experience   Answer Question

Operations and Logistics Manager Interview

Operations and Logistics Manager

I applied online and interviewed at Uber.

Interview Details – Applied online. Within a week later, got an email back to attend a special event to meet the current employees. I was then told that they wanted to find out more about me, so then they gave me an analytics assignment to be completed before the initial phone interview. Assignment was fairly simple as long as you know how to use Excel, you're allotted 2 hours but I finished with about 20 mins to go. I thought the phone interview went well: normal "company fit" questions. Did not advance to the next stage (good conversation, exchange some laughs/jokes and seem like there was some genuine interest).

Interview Question – The analytics exam was the hardest portion and I only say that because it was timed.   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Community Manager Interview

Community Manager
Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Uber in July 2014.

Interview Details – I applied through the Jobs On Demand promotion and the whole process took 5+ weeks from start to finish.

After sending many "encouraging tweets" and creative instagram posts, I was given a creative assignment to showcase my skills. The assignment ranged from 3 idea proposals for Uber Promotions, to replying to angry tweets and emails, to using KPIs to analyze the expected cost of new promotions. The whole project spanned 15 pages of writing and it was encouraged to be completed over the weekend.

After this homework assignment, I was given a skype interview with a community manager. The interview was very short and the manager asked me to describe the creative assignment to him. I couldn't tell if he read it or not but I got comments about my ideas and how they meshed with the uber brand (think music, everyone at uber is a millennial.)

After this I was invited to an in person interview that was supposed to take 90 minutes. This interview was with the senior marketing manager and the head recruiter. In the email I was told to bring nothing and the interview with the recruiter lasted 50 minutes as she went over my resume and discussed company culture. Many times during this process it was emphasized that Uber employees work 60+ hours a week and they have very long days. I have to be ok with easily spending 10 hours a day including weekends and holidays in the office. There is remote working, but sick days and not showing up is very discouraged. I was also told that the first few months would be mostly responding to angry emails and tweets and eventually when the next round of new hires come in that I would transition into a marketing role.

The second person I talked to was the senior manager, who talked to me for 10 minutes. When we sat down she was confused that I did not have my resume even though I explained to her that the recruiter had it and took it with her. My only question then was "So why do you think you are qualified to work here?" and I tried to explain my previous positions to her as succinctly as possible.

There were no further questions after that and the interview ended half an hour early. I was still in shock as I left the office that I was told to not bring anything and the senior manager didn't even want to try to see why the recruiter thought I was a qualified candidate.

I wasn't given an offer at Uber and my comments on my interview focused on how the staff felt I didn't have the skillset to expand the company.

Interview Question – Why do you think you are qualified to work here?   Answer Question

Community Operations Manager Interview

Community Operations Manager
Atlanta, GA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Uber in August 2014.

Interview Details – I received an email from an executive in California on a Friday telling me about a position in my state. He responded quickly sent me plenty of information and then let me know someone from my state would be reaching out to me to talk about the position in more detail, he even included their contact information. That was it. I sent follow up emails to ensure the position hadn't been filled or that they were moving in another direction. No response.

Marketing Manager Events Interview

Marketing Manager Events
Charlotte, NC

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Uber.

Interview Details – Applied and contacted by HR rep a couple weeks later.

Uber is one the worst companies to interview with. I applied for the open position of Marketing Manager Events and received an email from HR setting up an interview for that position. In a nutshell,
she gets on the phone and says they changed their minds and are hiring for a Marketing Manager and basically hinted I wont be considered. I felt as though a professional HR rep would send an email and give a heads and maybe go as far as asking if I am still interested to interview so I could be prepared. She continued my interview for the Marketing Manager and sounded exhausted, unhappy and disinterested. I really dont think Uber is the fun company it pretends to be. I love the services but after this interview they lost my interest anyway. If you interview with Uber be ready for confusion and disregard.

Interview Question – They want to hear a lot about numbers and metrics.   Answer Question

Global Business Analyst Interview

Global Business Analyst

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Uber.

Interview Details – Applied online and immediately heard from them within a couple of days. Was scheduled for a 15-20 minute introductory call to assess fit and then a 2 hour assessment following that.

Interview Question – KPIs related to driver optimization, etc.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Uber Driver Interview

Uber Driver
Irvine, CA

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Uber in June 2014.

Interview Details – All you need to do is pass a state and federal background check. First you apply with Uber. They will ask you to take pictures of your driver's license, registration, insurance card, and a few pictures of your car to see if it is in good condition. During the process to do a background check you take your car to get an inspection. If you pass a background check they mail you an I phone 4 and you start driving.

Interview Question – They don't ask you any questions. You get hired within a month and start driving.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Uber in July 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online through their career section. Immediately got call from HR (in an hour; They are pretty efficient). They asked if I have any open source projects that they can take a look at. I sent some of my open source code but they wanted to see some concrete. So they sent me coding exercise which I finished in a week (It was simple exercise developing web app).

Again got call from HR the next day saying they liked it and wants to talk further. Had another phone interview with the engineer. It was very basic interview with questions like what are you working on, why are you looking to move etc. (nothing much technical).

Then interviewer asked me if I am open to come for onsite interview. They scheduled onsite interview immediately. Onsite was tough with 3 technical interviews testing my coding skills. I know i didnt do well in 1 interview (some rude guy with european accent -- as someone said earlier about him in another review) but other 2 went all right.

Next week got rejection email saying didnt meet the requirements. As far as company is concerned, it looks on the right path with lots of talented people around. But its not the best I have seen. If you are interviewing for the engineering position, read and practice system algorithms (especially caching related)

Interview Questions

• Implement LRU cache with get and set operations in constant time O(1).   View Answer
  • Given a regular expression pattern and a string, check to see if pattern matches the string.   View Answer

Community Manager Interview

Community Manager
Atlanta, GA

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Uber in July 2014.

Interview Details – They first reached out to me a few days after applying online through their website. They then send you a creative exercise to work on. It takes time, so make sure you have time set aside to complete it. After I sent the exercise in, I was interviewed by another manager. Basic questions were asked about experience and they explained that Uber required 60+ hours commitment day and night.

Interview Question – What would you do to keep drivers and riders happy and treat both equally?   Answer Question

Worked for Uber? Contribute to the Community!