Uber

Relevance Date Difficulty

Operations Interview

Operations
San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Uber in August 2012.

Interview Details – Overall the process was very fragmented. I originally applied for a position and never heard back, then popped up in an HR search and got a call about a different role. They had no feedback about the previous ding and didn't bother to check for me.

I went through 2-3 phone screens with HR, one with the hiring manager, and another in person with the hiring manager. I'm told final candidates meet with the CEO. There was a LOT of homework and I got the distinct feeling I was laying out frameworks for someone else to execute before I was dinged similar to some complaints with Air BnB. They asked behavioral questions but also questions like "design this program or manual" and kept your outline and notes -it seemed like that was the project they were working on that week and were just looking for ideas.

The hiring manager had 1 direct report at the time, but they seem to value skills like experience with one particular CRM software suite over managerial experience which still makes me scratch my head. For non engineering roles, they dont look for any skill sets that you couldn't learn in an easy weekend (like SQL, salesforce or similar).

You have to keep on them or they'll forget about you, and I got the sense they didn't care much about the candidates. Product of their own success I guess but I was turned off by the whole attitude and would've thought long and hard about accepting had I been offered a position.

Everyone takes a fairly simple quant test that mostly revolves around pivot tables and possibly a lookup or two. Expect lots of busy work homework so schedule interviews out in the future if you currently have a demanding job. Overall easy questions but very time consuming and a bit disorganized.

Interview Question – Design a manual   Answer Question

Worked for Uber? Contribute to the Community!