Uber Operations and Logistics Manager Interview Questions

Updated Oct 16, 2014

3.4

32 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Operations and Logistics Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Uber in February 2014.

I applied online mid January and received a phone call mid February around 6:30pm on a Friday night.

Here are the steps that followed:

1) Sunday night: 5-10 minute phone call with someone at the Uber office I had applied to, general background questions, are you eligible to work in the United States etc. The person I spoke to also asked right off the bat what I was looking for in salary and stated that they had been hiring people between the $60 - $65K range, and that number was implied to be rather inflexible.

2) Tuesday: Two hour timed analytics test, completed online. You download two CSV files and use that data to answer 28 multiple choice questions. Twenty of the 28 questions had to do with straight data analysis (which 10 hour span in the course of two weeks had the most requests), while the remaining eight were a bit more interpretive (which of the following metrics would be most valuable for determining demand). The final four questions were free-form essay answers. Ones I recall are: Write a letter to drivers (can be for an upcoming holiday or just a general newsletter), which of two given bonus structures would be better in incentivizing drivers to work (fixed per ride, fixed per hour, variable but a minimum of rides required). I would say I am pretty good with Excel and a fast writer and I finished in about 1 hour 45 minutes. There were only about 3 questions that were very difficult.

3) Thursday/Friday: Two 20-30 minute phone interviews with members of the Uber team at the location where I applied. The first 10 minutes or so each time was comprised of the general tell us about your resume, why do you want to leave your company, why Uber in particular type questions. The next 10-15 minutes had questions like how would you sell an existing taxi driver on using Uber (biggest one was safety), why don't taxi drivers like using credit cards (taxes, a cut of the money gets taken out by processing fees, they don't get the money right away like cash) and some other questions that I can't recall. The last few minutes are opened up to the candidate to ask them questions.

4) Following Wednesday: Two hour interview at the Uber office consisting of four 30-minute panels. Each panel was 3-4 people asking me questions. There were at least three other people being interviewed for the same position concurrently, so the panelists rotated between us. Mine was conducted inside a room full of random Uber-related supplies and storage units. The interview took place from 6-8pm on a Wednesday night, which seems a bit asinine given that most people applying already worked a full day beforehand but perhaps Uber wants to see how candidates perform when they're both tired and stressed, who knows. In each panel maybe 2 minutes are devoted to hearing about you as a person or candidate (tell us about your resume... hmm I see here you've worked for X for Y years, tell us about that) -- after that they jump right in to questions. There is little to no time to make a connection with your interviewers, it's really all about being able to answer the specific questions they ask. Despite the fact that I heard over and over again how everyone who works at Uber came from other industries 100% of the questions were about Uber-specific processes or items, there was not a single general aptitude or skills question until the final panel asked "Tell us about a project you worked on that you were proud of," or something to that effect. See the "Interview Questions" section below for examples.

At the end of one of the panels, almost as an afterthought, the last question I was asked was: Tell us something you're passionate about. I thought, stupidly, that this was a genuine attempt to get to know me as a person so I answered with a legitimate answer -- let's say it was fine dining. Instead of the expected reply prompting me to share a human anecdote or a commonality between the interviewer and myself he replied "OK great, make a PowerPoint presentation about fine dining and send it to me by <looks at watch> 8pm tomorrow night." I asked for more direction and was told, essentially, sell me on fine dining. I wasn't told if this was supposed to be a test of my presentation skills, sales skills or just a signal that I was devoted to this job. I have a real life with other responsibilities, so I spent about 2 hours the next morning before work putting something together and sent it in.

The next time I heard from Uber was 5-6 days later I received a generic form email at 11pm informing me they'd decided to go in a different direction. I was not particularly inclined to inquire as to why I was not selected.

Interview Questions
  • From the in-person panel interviews:

- Uber is opening up a city remotely (i.e. Milwaukee will be operated out of Chicago). How would you make the drivers in Milwaukee feel equal to the drivers in Chicago. This was maybe the worst, most vague question of them all.
    - Uber drops you in a new market (i.e. Oklahoma City) and says you have two weeks until we open here - go! What do you do?
    - Say an Uber black car driver makes $30/ride with a 20% commission. How do you convince him to upgrade to a new made up service UberSuper with a 25% commission? What costs will the driver incur in upgrading. How much more will he have to make each week, etc. Note: it's not enough to just walk them through mentally how you'd do this, be prepared to do the math on the fly. Very annoying.
    - An Uber competitor opens in your city with unlimited cash capital, if you were them how would you steal Uber's customers? If you were Uber how would you convince drivers not to leave?
      View Answers (12)

Other Interview Reviews for Uber

Operations and Logistics Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Uber in October 2014.

2hr analytic test = spreadsheet test that most of the good manager will fail. The spreadsheet junkie may do alright. The entry level question on business consulting is not clear.

I am assuming the test were made by a college graduate with some skills in xl, and zero work experience in the field

Operations and Logistics Manager Interview

Interview consisted of 4 rounds. Starting with a simple phone fit interview with very basic questions, followed by a excel skill test which you can easily do with experience in pivot tables. Then your application gets forwarded to the local office and you have a first serious phone interview, after which you get invited to their office for a number of quick one on one interviews with the team.

Interview Questions
    • If we ask you to find us 100 new drivers this month. Describe what steps you would take?   Answer Question

Operations and Logistics Manager Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Uber.

Applied online. Within a week later, got an email back to attend a special event to meet the current employees. I was then told that they wanted to find out more about me, so then they gave me an analytics assignment to be completed before the initial phone interview. Assignment was fairly simple as long as you know how to use Excel, you're allotted 2 hours but I finished with about 20 mins to go. I thought the phone interview went well: normal "company fit" questions. Did not advance to the next stage (good conversation, exchange some laughs/jokes and seem like there was some genuine interest).

Interview Questions
    • The analytics exam was the hardest portion and I only say that because it was timed.   Answer Question

Operations and Logistics Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Uber in August 2014.

Applied via Uber's company website. Within a week I received an email asking to for my availability for a phone interview with an Uber recruiter. The call was 30 minutes and consisted of general background questions, and my experience using Excel.

More specifically, they asked me for specific instances when I processed data via Excel, and what pushback I anticipated experiencing if I were introducing Uber to the city I was applying for.

Following the phone interview, I was asked to take a 2 hour analytics exam, which was harder than I expected even though I'm fairly experienced in Excel. The questions aren't difficult if you had the time to work them out, but the time limit makes it more difficult. Know pivot tables, and don't waste too much time of the first 10 questions. If needed, skip questions you can't figure out, and take care of the final 22 questions before spending time on the questions you don't immediately know.

I passed this, and am now prepping for a video call with the GM at the location I'm applying to. We'll see how that goes.

FYI, regarding the question of "Did you get an offer," I'm answering "Yes, but I declined" since I'm not completely sure how things will turn out. So far so good though.

Interview Questions
    • 1. What obstacles do you expect to experience when bringing Uber to your city, and what are your proposed solutions?

2. Provide examples of when you processed a lot of data via Excel, and what the outcome was? What data exactly were you processing?
        Answer Question

Operations and Logistics Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Uber.

I applied online and I was contacted via email. The 10 - 15 phone interview quickly turned into the recruiter grilling me with all of these hypothetical questions about manager driver relationships. Relationships key with drivers- new partners- 15 managers 300 drivers- how do you foster relationships with drivers? Received positive feedback from my phone interview. Next steps is a test 32 questions 4 "essay." An essay including basically open ended to write to drivers to convince them to work on a major holiday. Know pivot tables for the test.

Interview Questions
    • An essay including basically open ended to write to drivers to convince them to work on a major holiday. Know pivot tables for the test.   Answer Question

Operations and Logistics Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Uber.

Interview consisted of 4 skype calls and a 2 hour data mining/Excel 'test' (about 75% multiple choice and 25% open ended). The test is pretty straight forward and the multiple choice questions are pretty easy to back into, even if you are only slightly familiar with Excel

Interview Questions
    • If you were to bring Uber Lux to said city, how would you pilot it?   Answer Question

Operations and Logistics Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Uber in June 2014.

Applied online. Within a week later, got an email back from a Recruiter to set up a phone interview. Unlike others have posted, I was given the analytics assignment to be completed before the initial phone interview. Assignment was exactly as others have described, took me about 1h45m (out of 2h given); didn't seem terribly difficult, as long as you know your way around Excel, it shouldn't be too bad. Phone interview went well: normal "company fit" questions. Did not advance to the next stage (I suspect it was at least partly due to not being located in the city where the position is), but did not receive a form email as others have indicated; mine actually referenced things from my interview.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing too odd.. especially after having had reviewed others' experiences here.   Answer Question

Operations and Logistics Manager Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Uber.

I was scheduled for a phone interview by the recruiter. The recruiter never called and sent out an email 15 minutes after the appointment stating "decided to move forward with a different candidate".

Extremely unprofessional of a company to waste candidates' time preparing for these interviews and giving no respect to their applicants.

Operations and Logistics Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Uber.

Initial interview was a simple fit phone call, with questions like "walk me through your resume" and "what are your salary expectations. Second Part is the Analytics test: 28 multiple choice question on excel data they provide for you and 4 open ended questions related to email communication with drivers, etc. It's a challenge mainly due to the timed aspect. If you know how to work pivot tables and manage your time well though, it's should be straightforward. Third came the in office interview, with several rounds of fit and consulting-style stress interviews. The key here is fit, because you will be spending a lot of time with would-be fellow employees. My recommendation is to use it as an opportunity to both show your best side and find out if you can see yourself working with the team.

Interview Questions
    • Where do you see yourself adding value here?   View Answer