Uber Operations and Logistics Manager Interview Questions

Updated Jul 23, 2015

3.5

Operations and Logistics Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Uber in February 2014.

Interview

I applied online mid January and received a phone call mid February around 6:30pm on a Friday night. Here are the steps that followed: 1) Sunday night: 5-10 minute phone call with someone at the Uber office I had applied to, general background questions, are you eligible to work in the United States etc. The person I spoke to also asked right off the bat what I was looking for in salary and stated that they had been hiring people between the $60 - $65K range, and that number was implied to be rather inflexible. 2) Tuesday: Two hour timed analytics test, completed online. You download two CSV files and use that data to answer 28 multiple choice questions. Twenty of the 28 questions had to do with straight data analysis (which 10 hour span in the course of two weeks had the most requests), while the remaining eight were a bit more interpretive (which of the following metrics would be most valuable for determining demand). The final four questions were free-form essay answers. Ones I recall are: Write a letter to drivers (can be for an upcoming holiday or just a general newsletter), which of two given bonus structures would be better in incentivizing drivers to work (fixed per ride, fixed per hour, variable but a minimum of rides required). I would say I am pretty good with Excel and a fast writer and I finished in about 1 hour 45 minutes. There were only about 3 questions that were very difficult. 3) Thursday/Friday: Two 20-30 minute phone interviews with members of the Uber team at the location where I applied. The first 10 minutes or so each time was comprised of the general tell us about your resume, why do you want to leave your company, why Uber in particular type questions. The next 10-15 minutes had questions like how would you sell an existing taxi driver on using Uber (biggest one was safety), why don't taxi drivers like using credit cards (taxes, a cut of the money gets taken out by processing fees, they don't get the money right away like cash) and some other questions that I can't recall. The last few minutes are opened up to the candidate to ask them questions. 4) Following Wednesday: Two hour interview at the Uber office consisting of four 30-minute panels. Each panel was 3-4 people asking me questions. There were at least three other people being interviewed for the same position concurrently, so the panelists rotated between us. Mine was conducted inside a room full of random Uber-related supplies and storage units. The interview took place from 6-8pm on a Wednesday night, which seems a bit asinine given that most people applying already worked a full day beforehand but perhaps Uber wants to see how candidates perform when they're both tired and stressed, who knows. In each panel maybe 2 minutes are devoted to hearing about you as a person or candidate (tell us about your resume... hmm I see here you've worked for X for Y years, tell us about that) -- after that they jump right in to questions. There is little to no time to make a connection with your interviewers, it's really all about being able to answer the specific questions they ask. Despite the fact that I heard over and over again how everyone who works at Uber came from other industries 100% of the questions were about Uber-specific processes or items, there was not a single general aptitude or skills question until the final panel asked "Tell us about a project you worked on that you were proud of," or something to that effect. See the "Interview Questions" section below for examples. At the end of one of the panels, almost as an afterthought, the last question I was asked was: Tell us something you're passionate about. I thought, stupidly, that this was a genuine attempt to get to know me as a person so I answered with a legitimate answer -- let's say it was fine dining. Instead of the expected reply prompting me to share a human anecdote or a commonality between the interviewer and myself he replied "OK great, make a PowerPoint presentation about fine dining and send it to me by <looks at watch> 8pm tomorrow night." I asked for more direction and was told, essentially, sell me on fine dining. I wasn't told if this was supposed to be a test of my presentation skills, sales skills or just a signal that I was devoted to this job. I have a real life with other responsibilities, so I spent about 2 hours the next morning before work putting something together and sent it in. The next time I heard from Uber was 5-6 days later I received a generic form email at 11pm informing me they'd decided to go in a different direction. I was not particularly inclined to inquire as to why I was not selected.

Interview Questions

• From the in-person panel interviews: - Uber is opening up a city remotely (i.e. Milwaukee will be operated out of Chicago). How would you make the drivers in Milwaukee feel equal to the drivers in Chicago. This was maybe the worst, most vague question of them all. - Uber drops you in a new market (i.e. Oklahoma City) and says you have two weeks until we open here - go! What do you do? - Say an Uber black car driver makes $30/ride with a 20% commission. How do you convince him to upgrade to a new made up service UberSuper with a 25% commission? What costs will the driver incur in upgrading. How much more will he have to make each week, etc. Note: it's not enough to just walk them through mentally how you'd do this, be prepared to do the math on the fly. Very annoying. - An Uber competitor opens in your city with unlimited cash capital, if you were them how would you steal Uber's customers? If you were Uber how would you convince drivers not to leave?   76 Answers

Other Interview Reviews for Uber

Operations and Logistics Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Uber.

Interview

Quick process. Truly revealing in terms of what it's like to work at Uber: awful. I've never met so many arrogant individuals in my life in the span of 3 hours. I wish I could say it was backed by some form of intelligence, but I cannot. They expect 90-100 hours for less than 65k. Calculate your per hour. It's a joke. They are not even willing to negotiate. Uber drivers beware. The general manager laughed at Uber drivers, saying theyd never get what they ask for (tips, better service), calling them desperate and uneducated. Look Uber, without the drivers, you are just an app. Treat your drivers right or they will flock to your competitors. Note: the ops job is mainly driver relationship management and recruitment. There's no strategy involved, very little logistics. Fancy title for driver managemenr.

Interview Questions

• Since many drivers come from uneducated backgrounds, how would you communicate with them? ( a guy seriously asked me this)   1 Answer
    • Think of a new Uber service and discuss it in detail.   Answer Question
    • How would you encourage drivers to get on the road during peak times/holidays?   Answer Question
    • How would you measure demand for Uber ice cream?   Answer Question

Operations and Logistics Manager Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Uber.

Interview

Applied through an "Expedited Interview" invitation via email. A recruiter reviewed my qualifications on my LinkedIn profile and sent me a general interest email. I then had about a week to complete a timed analytics test. Within a few days invited to a happy hour event to meet with the local team and see if we would be compatible; as it's a very small team and a startup-like atmosphere. From there, was invited to a formal interview. Whole process took about two weeks.

Operation and Logistics Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Telephone, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Uber (Telephone, TX) in July 2015.

Interview

have reached the telephonic interview stage after clearing the analytical test and a brief HR interview (telephonic) which basically was about my profile and why Uber. another telephonic is set up for tomorrow with business folks. small tip.. if you are ok with excel find out the essay type questions on the net and do a pre work. helped me to spend more time on analytical stuff.

Operations and Logistics Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Uber in June 2015.

Interview

The HR are very nice, coordinate the way they need to! It is somewhat intense to follow the process, and you need to be motivated. The excel test is not as difficult as you might read, now... you will need to focus for real! I got put aside on the 3rd stage of the process, the person that interviewed me on the phone me was, I guess, disturbed or too busy to pay attention, a lot background noises made it very difficult to communicate. That same person did not step out of the guide he was really reading a script... Was not fun.

Interview Questions

• What would you offer to driver of UBerX to deliver food ?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Uber (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Call with HR, 3-4 phone screens with current O&L Managers, culminating in a site visit where you have back-to-back-to-back interviews (1 hr each) with two interviewers for each interview. You also had to do an excel based data analytics homework before you could qualify for an interview. The screens consist of behavioral questions and the final round is mostly case. At the end of the final interview (typically with someone more senior), you get assigned homework which have you have to send in within a day or two. Ultimately no offer, and the recruiter offered feedback, but didn't really make a sincere attempt to get on the phone to give it.

Interview Questions

• If you started an uber competitor from scratch, how would you do it?   1 Answer

Operations and Logistics Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Uber in March 2015.

Interview

Applied through an internal reference. Took about 3 weeks to hear anything. Sent a 2 hour timed analytics test to complete from home within "24-48" hours. Was very nervous my answers had not been saved as the test timed out before I could press submit (the answers were saved--my email was promptly answered which was great). Heard back the next day from the recruiter that they were not moving forward.

Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Uber (Denver, CO) in June 2015.

Interview

Applied via the website and received a screening call from the recruiter. I took an analytics test and then did in-person general interview. There was a follow-up in-person which was presentation based (only 30 min).

Interview Questions

• Explain expected results of functionality roll out and impact it could have.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Uber (New York, NY) in April 2015.

Interview

Overall it was a fast experience. Took two weeks in total. I applied online and a recruiter contacted me over the phone and chatted for like 20 minutes. Seemed like they wanted to hire people very quickly. She told me that the company is hiring at a very quick pace. Then I did an online analtics test with 32 questions. Time is very limited for the test, you have to think a lot for some questions to get the tricks right and answer properly. It is mostly multiple choice questions and at the end there are 4 free-to-write type of questions (essays for some scenarios like write a letter to drivers). The test is pretty hard but I prepared very well using online resources so I passed the test. (the recruiter emailed me next day for the good news) Then I had 2 more onsite interviews. One is a panel like interview at the office and one with a senior hiring manager. Overall these in-office interviews were pretty tough, they are asking real life example questions and expect you to answer them like an experienced Uber employee, which you are not :) Some questions from the in-office meetings: How would you start in a new city? How would you make more drivers available? What is the best incentive to give to a driver to have him work for more hours during weekdays? etc. After these two in-office interviews, I got an email from the recruiter that they decided to go in another direction :( But overall it was a nice experience.

Interview Questions

• 100 drivers apply to uber to be a driver. X percent does not have city knowledge, y of them miss their screening meetings, z of them did not passed background check and can apply in 6 months etc etc.. Base on listed constraints, how many of them can start with Uber?   3 Answers

Operations and Logistics Manager Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Uber.

Interview

First I had an interview with a HR manager in San Francisco. The conversation was fairly straightforward since he wanted to get to know my background, what I knew about Uber and where I wanted to be after graduation. We moved on to the analytical exam and I'm still waiting on the results.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about Uber?   1 Answer