Uber Operations and Logistics Manager Interview Questions & Reviews

26 interviews

3.4

26 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Operations and Logistics Manager Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Uber in February 2014.

I applied online mid January and received a phone call mid February around 6:30pm on a Friday night.

Here are the steps that followed:

1) Sunday night: 5-10 minute phone call with someone at the Uber office I had applied to, general background questions, are you eligible to work in the United States etc. The person I spoke to also asked right off the bat what I was looking for in salary and stated that they had been hiring people between the $60 - $65K range, and that number was implied to be rather inflexible.

2) Tuesday: Two hour timed analytics test, completed online. You download two CSV files and use that data to answer 28 multiple choice questions. Twenty of the 28 questions had to do with straight data analysis (which 10 hour span in the course of two weeks had the most requests), while the remaining eight were a bit more interpretive (which of the following metrics would be most valuable for determining demand). The final four questions were free-form essay answers. Ones I recall are: Write a letter to drivers (can be for an upcoming holiday or just a general newsletter), which of two given bonus structures would be better in incentivizing drivers to work (fixed per ride, fixed per hour, variable but a minimum of rides required). I would say I am pretty good with Excel and a fast writer and I finished in about 1 hour 45 minutes. There were only about 3 questions that were very difficult.

3) Thursday/Friday: Two 20-30 minute phone interviews with members of the Uber team at the location where I applied. The first 10 minutes or so each time was comprised of the general tell us about your resume, why do you want to leave your company, why Uber in particular type questions. The next 10-15 minutes had questions like how would you sell an existing taxi driver on using Uber (biggest one was safety), why don't taxi drivers like using credit cards (taxes, a cut of the money gets taken out by processing fees, they don't get the money right away like cash) and some other questions that I can't recall. The last few minutes are opened up to the candidate to ask them questions.

4) Following Wednesday: Two hour interview at the Uber office consisting of four 30-minute panels. Each panel was 3-4 people asking me questions. There were at least three other people being interviewed for the same position concurrently, so the panelists rotated between us. Mine was conducted inside a room full of random Uber-related supplies and storage units. The interview took place from 6-8pm on a Wednesday night, which seems a bit asinine given that most people applying already worked a full day beforehand but perhaps Uber wants to see how candidates perform when they're both tired and stressed, who knows. In each panel maybe 2 minutes are devoted to hearing about you as a person or candidate (tell us about your resume... hmm I see here you've worked for X for Y years, tell us about that) -- after that they jump right in to questions. There is little to no time to make a connection with your interviewers, it's really all about being able to answer the specific questions they ask. Despite the fact that I heard over and over again how everyone who works at Uber came from other industries 100% of the questions were about Uber-specific processes or items, there was not a single general aptitude or skills question until the final panel asked "Tell us about a project you worked on that you were proud of," or something to that effect. See the "Interview Questions" section below for examples.

At the end of one of the panels, almost as an afterthought, the last question I was asked was: Tell us something you're passionate about. I thought, stupidly, that this was a genuine attempt to get to know me as a person so I answered with a legitimate answer -- let's say it was fine dining. Instead of the expected reply prompting me to share a human anecdote or a commonality between the interviewer and myself he replied "OK great, make a PowerPoint presentation about fine dining and send it to me by <looks at watch> 8pm tomorrow night." I asked for more direction and was told, essentially, sell me on fine dining. I wasn't told if this was supposed to be a test of my presentation skills, sales skills or just a signal that I was devoted to this job. I have a real life with other responsibilities, so I spent about 2 hours the next morning before work putting something together and sent it in.

The next time I heard from Uber was 5-6 days later I received a generic form email at 11pm informing me they'd decided to go in a different direction. I was not particularly inclined to inquire as to why I was not selected.

Interview Questions
  • From the in-person panel interviews:

- Uber is opening up a city remotely (i.e. Milwaukee will be operated out of Chicago). How would you make the drivers in Milwaukee feel equal to the drivers in Chicago. This was maybe the worst, most vague question of them all.
    - Uber drops you in a new market (i.e. Oklahoma City) and says you have two weeks until we open here - go! What do you do?
    - Say an Uber black car driver makes $30/ride with a 20% commission. How do you convince him to upgrade to a new made up service UberSuper with a 25% commission? What costs will the driver incur in upgrading. How much more will he have to make each week, etc. Note: it's not enough to just walk them through mentally how you'd do this, be prepared to do the math on the fly. Very annoying.
    - An Uber competitor opens in your city with unlimited cash capital, if you were them how would you steal Uber's customers? If you were Uber how would you convince drivers not to leave?
      View Answers (8)

Other Interview Reviews for Uber

Operations and Logistics Manager Interview

I interviewed online - interviewed at Uber.

Applied online. Within a week later, got an email back to attend a special event to meet the current employees. I was then told that they wanted to find out more about me, so then they gave me an analytics assignment to be completed before the initial phone interview. Assignment was fairly simple as long as you know how to use Excel, you're allotted 2 hours but I finished with about 20 mins to go. I thought the phone interview went well: normal "company fit" questions. Did not advance to the next stage (good conversation, exchange some laughs/jokes and seem like there was some genuine interest).

Interview Questions
    • The analytics exam was the hardest portion and I only say that because it was timed.   Answer Question

Operations and Logistics Manager Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Uber in June 2014.

Applied online. Within a week later, got an email back from a Recruiter to set up a phone interview. Unlike others have posted, I was given the analytics assignment to be completed before the initial phone interview. Assignment was exactly as others have described, took me about 1h45m (out of 2h given); didn't seem terribly difficult, as long as you know your way around Excel, it shouldn't be too bad. Phone interview went well: normal "company fit" questions. Did not advance to the next stage (I suspect it was at least partly due to not being located in the city where the position is), but did not receive a form email as others have indicated; mine actually referenced things from my interview.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing too odd.. especially after having had reviewed others' experiences here.   Answer Question

Operations and Logistics Manager Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Uber.

I applied online and I was contacted via email. The 10 - 15 phone interview quickly turned into the recruiter grilling me with all of these hypothetical questions about manager driver relationships. Relationships key with drivers- new partners- 15 managers 300 drivers- how do you foster relationships with drivers? Received positive feedback from my phone interview. Next steps is a test 32 questions 4 "essay." An essay including basically open ended to write to drivers to convince them to work on a major holiday. Know pivot tables for the test.

Interview Questions
    • An essay including basically open ended to write to drivers to convince them to work on a major holiday. Know pivot tables for the test.   Answer Question

Operations and Logistics Manager Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Uber.

Interview consisted of 4 skype calls and a 2 hour data mining/Excel 'test' (about 75% multiple choice and 25% open ended). The test is pretty straight forward and the multiple choice questions are pretty easy to back into, even if you are only slightly familiar with Excel

Interview Questions
    • If you were to bring Uber Lux to said city, how would you pilot it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee  in  Austin, TX
    Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I interviewed online - interviewed at Uber in March 2013.

I applied online and it took 2 weeks proces. I sent an email in March, and got a call back 1 month later. 5-10 minute phone call interview with general background questions

Interview Questions
    • How can you convince a driver to upgrade to a 25% commission ?   Answer Question

Operations and Logistics Manager Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Uber in January 2014.

I submitted my resume online, jumped on a first phone screen within a day, and then went through three more rounds of interviews, including a 2-hour data / analytics exam (which I took after a long day at work and passed), another phone interview and an in-person interview. The in-person interview was supposed to be with a panel/group but when I arrived, there was only one person to meet me and I got the feeling that they had already filled the position before I got there. I got a standard form email "thanks but no thanks" within a week or two. By the end of the process I was glad I didn't end up there. At the beginning of the interview process I was willing to take a significant pay cut to leave my consulting job but I actually left the process with a pretty negative vibe. I had probably taken Uber 100 times in the previous year but have since switched most of my rides to Lyft as I find their culture much more approachable and less condescending. I ended up joining another startup.

Interview Questions
    • During the in-person interview there was a standard problem where I was asked to model out how much an Uber driver would make based on all the relevant factors I could think of. We later discussed the model and talked about how other Uber offerings could cut into those drivers' pay, etc.   Answer Question

Operations and Logistics Manager Interview

I interviewed through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Uber.

I was scheduled for a phone interview by the recruiter. The recruiter never called and sent out an email 15 minutes after the appointment stating "decided to move forward with a different candidate".

Extremely unprofessional of a company to waste candidates' time preparing for these interviews and giving no respect to their applicants.

Operations and Logistics Manager Interview

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Uber.

Initial interview was a simple fit phone call, with questions like "walk me through your resume" and "what are your salary expectations. Second Part is the Analytics test: 28 multiple choice question on excel data they provide for you and 4 open ended questions related to email communication with drivers, etc. It's a challenge mainly due to the timed aspect. If you know how to work pivot tables and manage your time well though, it's should be straightforward. Third came the in office interview, with several rounds of fit and consulting-style stress interviews. The key here is fit, because you will be spending a lot of time with would-be fellow employees. My recommendation is to use it as an opportunity to both show your best side and find out if you can see yourself working with the team.

Interview Questions
    • Where do you see yourself adding value here?   View Answer

Operations and Logistics Manager Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Uber.

The entire hiring process only spanned the course of a few days and the people were awesome. It's the same format others have mentioned- phone screen, analytical test, phone convo with someone in a higher position (usually GM), then in-person interview for fit and a couple more questions.

Just a note, the analytical test has changed from what other people are posting. It's now 32 questions... ~28 are multiple choice questions and ~4 are open-ended questions like "Write an email to drivers" or "What would you do in x situation" type of questions. The multiple choice questions are based off of a couple excel files with ~2 weeks worth of data that you have to analyze. KNOW PIVOT TABLES. If you know pivot tables you'll be perfectly fine. If you have no idea how to do pivot tables, watch a couple Youtube videos beforehand for like 30 minutes and you'll be fine. Seriously, it's very easy if you can grasp the basic concept. A couple scenarios you can use V-Lookup I suppose, but I stuck with pivot tables (using filters, etc.) and it was easy.

Interview Questions
    • Probably the analytical test I guess. Overall not a difficult process if you've thought about it beforehand. Do some research, come up with some ideas you think would be good, and answer the questions that others have posted here to get an idea of what will be coming and you'll be fine.

Couple Questions:

If you were in this city, what/who wold you partner up with? How would that process go?

What would you say to a driver that wanted to quit?

Good Luck!
        View Answer

Worked for Uber? Contribute to the Community!