Uber

Updated Feb 19, 2015

3.4

Corporate Paralegal Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Uber.

It was really hectic. I had to get on like five different calls with different people and they were indecisive about how and when to interview me in the "final" round. I was exhausted by the end of everything - it was really weird and uncomfortable. There was also a research exercise on top of everything, which was a bit much. They also told me pay would be low up-front, so it didn't motivate me to try hard.

Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Uber.

Applied online and got an email on the same day from a recruiter for a phone screen. Shortly after phone screen, recruiter told me she will check with the team to see if they like my experience and then will pass over an assignment to me if I make it to the next stage. Next morning, I received an email with saying that I would have a phone interview with a team member as the next step. Scheduled an interview 2 days later via skype with a team member - he was pretty pleasant and nice. Basically told me on the spot that I'd make it to the next stage and to look out for an email with an assessment/assignment from the recruiter the next day. As promised, I got the assessment from the recruit it (I am based out of the east coast) and it was due Tuesday the following week.

Assignment was incredibly long, 5 questions with a minimum of 3-5 sub questions to each question - so I can see why people feel cheated upon not receiving an offer. Personally I didn't feel that way about the process, though the previous reviews really made me anxious about it.

Submitted my assignment and same day got an invitation to fly to San Francisco for an in person interview. Based on my busy schedule, managed to squeeze in a time for the following week.

Arrived in San Francisco and upon entering the office, I already felt an overwhelmingly consultant/investment banking culture atmosphere. Ladies at front desk were terribly unfriendly for what is a start-up/tech company. Reminded me of my days working in the fashion industry. During the interview, I met with 5 different people, panel style. Lots of questions - but ultimately it was definitely not a fit culturally. I don't think skillset wise it was a problem, but I did feel like they were basically asking me if I'd be willing to be worked super hard and be ok with not having a work life balance. At one point they asked something along the lines of, "Can you describe a time when you've worked super late/hard at work or school and how did you feel/how did you learn to cope"

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Uber.

An Uber recruiter contacted me via LinkedIn and scheduled a non-technical interview. He mostly talked about my background and things that I work on at my current job.
    Then they scheduled a technical telephonic interview. The interview pattern was pretty standard. I wrote programs on a shared screen. There were 2 simple programming questions (language of my choice) and one for a system design. He also asked me questions about what I work on and explained what his team works on. I got the response almost immediately that I had cleared the interview. They asked me for dates to fly to their HQ.
    Uber doesn't book anything for your travels, you are expected to book the flight, hotel and anything else you need.
    Every interview lasts for about 45 mins and there are about 5 interviews. There is a lunch break with the team for about half hour but other than that the interviews are back to back.
    The interview almost always started with questions about the most interesting project I worked on. That went on for about half of the interview.
    Then there was a programming question. The thing that was different here was that you can use your own laptop and any IDE of your choice. You can also Google for things - obviously not the algorithms but there are programming questions that may need additional input.
    I chose Eclipse. The good part about this is that you don't have to remember any functions or syntax (thank you intellisense!). The bad part (I thought) was that your program must work by the end of the interview. You get anywhere between 10 to 25 mins to do it. Write your code faster so you get time to debug your code.
    The interviewers were really nice to talk to. Very friendly and not at all arrogant.
    I was happy with the overall experience at the interviews but the scheduling process was really stressful. This is not a forum to complain but be prepared for this - They didn't send me a confirmation until 2 days before interview. I had actually lost hope. I had to book my travel and fly across the country in a day. It was a bit stressful.

Interview Questions
    • How would you find the words that became obsolete in English language between 16th and 17th century? You may use a search engine.   Answer Question

Software Engineer (Infrastructure) Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Uber.

*Phone screen with manager. He was nice asked about stuff I have worked on. Sent me online coding challenge.

*Invited onsite and had a bunch of paired interviewers. Most of them seemed really arrogant. Except one of them most of them seemed to be like technicians who had CCNA kind of certification and asked silly bookish questions. There was one from Infra who was a staff engineer and was extremely condescending. Most of the questions were very tough and the interviewers seemed to have a list that they would ask these questions from. I did not like the vibe of the people working there nor did I like the interviewers.

I think the company is doing financially very well and growing explosively but their culture is horrible and people are not nice. Do not recommend working for Uber. They are not very open and comfortable negotiating salary or stock options either.

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Uber in October 2014.

Contacted the recruiter and soon got a phone call from the company. After 3 phone screens in the less than 10 days, I was scheduled for an onsite. They agreed to reimburse for the costs but since the interview they have been mute.

The onsite interview was supposed to be with 5 people, but it was cut short to only 4. The excuse was that the final interviewer had something emergent came up. In hindsight it seems they already decided not to hire, even though I thought I did relatively well.

Most of the interviewer seems very professional, except one, whose body language and facial expression was saying that I was wasting her time.

The recruiter was silent after the interview until I pinged her for an update. She told me that I was not a fit because the team was looking for a very specific candidate.

In hindsight, the statement from the recruiter and from some other reviewers cannot be more true: the company is looking for VERY SPECIFIC skill set and is not looking for anything remotely like a generalist. The position I applied for was in mapping and logistics and they seem to expect me to know all the algorithms in computational geometry. My friends who were hired by a different team in the company was hired because he knew exactly what the team was looking for. It looks like people were hired to solve problems that already have and not the ones that will come up in the future.

In other words, the company's hiring demeanor is very short sighted.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through other source. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Uber in October 2014.

The interview process has two parts: a phone interview an 3 to 4 onsite interviews. I have passed the phone one (one big coding question) and I am waiting for the second round. You absolutely need to know your data structures and basic algorithms, but other than that its all about practice and a bit of luck.

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Uber in September 2014.

The only reason I am writing this review is because I am still fighting with Uber account payables to get back the money I spent for my travel,hotel and meals.Yes,Uber do not make these arrangement, you have to make your own arrangement and then hope that you will get your money back.I was interviewed before by Amazon and it was a nice experience when it comes to Interview arrangements,but with Uber, I never expected such a bad experience.
    On interview front, it was a easy, unorganized interview.They don't ask you very tough technical questions but rather its more like a discussion to see if the candidate is a cultural fit in the team they are interviewing for.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult question.All the questions were open ended like how would you design netflix,online spreadsheet, tell me about a challenging situation/issue in your current/past project etc   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Uber in September 2014.

Submitted resume, contacted by recruiter 2 months later (this is because I stupidly didn't tell a friend I was applying so I didn't get referred. If you know someone there, get a referral!). Had a phone interview with recruiter about what I'm looking for and experienced in.

Skipped the technical phone interview because I knew people there, so I went straight to the on-site interview the next week. Technical interview was fair, not as difficult as I expected. I never claimed to be a pythonista as my experience is in C, but I can write python, so maybe they took it easy on me when I wrote some non-pythonic code.

Coding questions included string manipulation and graph traversals, pretty simple code but enough to gauge your algorithmic knowledge. Had one design question. Technical questions included trivia about working in a terminal and core computer science or programming language fundamentals. Afterwards had an open ended discussion with the hiring manager (now my manager) about Uber's system architecture.

Contacted by the recruiter a day or two later with an offer, and started 2.5 weeks later

Interview Questions
    • Design an API for a service, then layout how much data your service will hold and how many machines it needs. I was purposefully rushed by the interviewer to design this, so there wasn't time to design something great.   View Answer
    Yes. Go for equity.

Community Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Uber in September 2014.

Very good phone interview with young recruiter. Then there was the home work. You get an assignment e-mailed to you and you get 24 hours to respond. It was very complex and took me many, many hours to do a good job. A couple of weeks later I got an e-mail rejecting me, but I still think the process was a good one. It really gives you a clear idea of what they will ask you to do if hired, and they get to see how you work under pressure.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Uber in September 2014.

The most responsive and open interview process I have ever been involved with. From the very beginning I was given all star help and guidance. Began with a quick talk about the company and my background, aka the initial screening. This was followed by a coding challenge, unless I already had public code I preferred they look at. I enjoy a good challenge so I chose one of theirs: a full stack single page web application. After a week, I submitted and they had a single day turn around to review the entire project! The following day was a technical overview of my experiences. Later the SAME day, I was informed I was invited to an onsite at HQ. I was to front the bill for travel, but their expense reimbursements process is painless. They ultimately pay for everything. The onsite I will describe only as a pleasure and a challenge to respect their process.

Interview Questions
    Negotiations were available but limited, as their compensation is highly competitive...no other offer I had could beat it. Relocation assistance is considered a bargaining chip.