Uber

20 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Mobile Applications Engineer Interview

San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Uber.

Interview Details – Phone interview and then coding exercise

Interview Question – They give the coding exercise for one simple mobile application and said that it should not take more than 4 hrs and if it does then no need to add new features. I worked on basic feature which took almost 8 hrs and had no time to improve UX. I submitted the exercise and they get back to me saying that they have decided to move on. One thing I didn't get is what they are looking for exercise? I have the basic feature working bug free. The UI was decent. The UX was not bad although it could be improved but had no time for that.

I believe Uber has product people working on UX then why they are looking for engineer who does great UX. Engineer is the person who will be converting product spec into working code. To evaluate or reject engineer based on incomplete UX is insane. I am glad that I did not wasted more time on that. Advice to interviewers: Change your thinking about engineer, you are hiring some one who will be engineer, not product manager with technical knowledge. Atleast he deserves the decent interview process. You can not waste anyone's 8 hrs on coding exercise and reject him not based on code or knowledge he has but based on UX.
  Answer Question

San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Uber in January 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online and got contacted by a recruiter very soon after. He was very nice and told me about the company in some detail. He then proceeded to tell me that there was a coding challenge that I had to complete before applying. I agreed to do the challenge and got the details.

For the challenge you get to pick one of a few applications that they want you to build. They say that it should only take you 4 hours, but I actually worked on it for the better of 2 days and still felt like I was missing details when I went through the code during the phone screen.

The phone screen is a 40 minute interview about the code you wrote. I got the feeling they were expecting a much more thorough job than the challenge suggests. In retrospect, I would have taken care of a lot more of my TODOs.

Interview Question – My coding challenge had to calculate the nearest transit stop given your current location. They asked for an efficient way to do this. The answer ended up being something I was not familiar with, Mongo DB and such database geo location built in functions.   Answer Question

Operations and Logistics Manager Interview

San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Uber in January 2012.

Interview Details – Not bad - personal fit then a job shop schedule as below

Interview Question – Let's throw a dose of reality in now:

If you could only allocate drivers on a minimum 8-hour shift basis and you could increase hourly drivers by 20% over the supply listed, how would that change your allocation strategy above?

Please do the following:
1. Explain your methodology for reallocation
2. Suggest the results you expect to result
3. How would you manage a fleet of drivers to do what you want?

Here's a description of the variables:

Compl = the number of completed trips

Eyes = the unique number of people who opened the Uber app

Zeroes = the unique number of people who opened the Uber app but when they did so they saw no cars available. A zero can occur because there is not enough supply (drivers) on the road or because the person looking at the Uber app isn't within a certain mileage range of the available cars.

Avail Drivers = number of drivers on the Uber network in total (receiving either commission or hourly payment)

Hourly = number of drivers on the Uber network receiving hourly payment

So, for example, from this data:
At 7am on May 16th, 6 people opened the Uber app and all of those folks saw cars available (0 zeros). We completed 1 trip. And, we had 6 drivers on the system of which 6 were scheduled and paid hourly. We had no drivers at that hour on the system out of their own free will. In contrast, at 8pm, we had 6 hourly drivers and 2 commission drivers.

Assuming you had hour-by-hour control of hourly drivers, how would you reallocate (not increase - just reallocate) the current supply of hourly drivers (given you have no control over commission hours) to better serve demand?

Please do the following:
1. Describe the metrics you would use to drive this decision
2. Explain your methodology for reallocation
3. Give a brief summary of your reallocation (please give specific examples)
4. Suggest the results you expect to result (please give specific examples)
  View Answer

San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Uber in September 2013.

Interview Details – Had an initial call with a recruiter who wanted to gauge my understanding of Uber's business model and interest in the company. Then had a phone call with the hiring manager before coming in for four onsite interviews. The interviewers all spent a good amount of time getting to know me before moving on to the technical portion, which was mostly coding on a whiteboard. Things were a bit hectic when I interviewed - Uber had outgrown the office and interviews were done in a quiet corner. Also, the list of interviewers changed quite a bit. Another notable thing was Uber was the only company that asked how I handle stress. All signs of rapid growth, but not necessarily a bad thing.

Interview Question – How do you handle stress?   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Uber in December 2013.

Interview Details – The process is very generalized even though the product team structure has a feature orientation. The pre onsite process entails : 1 HR Screener, 1 HWK assignment and 1 phone interview with a PM. The HR partner was not very professional and often took a week to return any emails after initiating the interview process. The phone interview itself focused on the basic PM questions (name a few products and explain what you like don't like and what you would do better, what else would you change with Uber, what is your process like at your current company). The evaluation criteria was not really clear and the interview was conducted by a junior level PM. The Product team is very young and does not boast any Google/Facebook pedigree on the team.

Interview Question – There is a data point that indicates that there are more Uber drop-offs at the airport than pick-ups from the airport. Why is this the case and what would you do within the product to change that?   View Answer

Community Manager Interview

Community Manager
San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 7 weeks - interviewed at Uber in August 2013.

Interview Details – Extremely unprofessional. Recruiters didn't get back on time, left me hanging for weeks at a time. The whole process took over 7 weeks.

Interview Question – Had to complete a whole 3 page assignment   Answer Question

Operations Coordinator Interview

San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Uber in November 2013.

Interview Details – I applied through an employee referral, and heard back from the recruiter within two days.

The interview process was quite intensive, much more so than I anticipated. It started with a phone screen from the recruiter which was really just a casual chat, a 1:1 Skype interview with an Operations Manager, a three-hour onsite interview to meet with the team (which was four rounds), and then a final phone-call followup about the onsite experience (with some additional questions). The recruiter was pretty consistent in scheduling each round within the next week - totaling to about a month for the whole process.

Overall, my interview experience was fairly positive. It's evident that the Operations team for SF (which is their biggest user base) puts a lot of effort into getting to know the candidate. They screen resumes pretty carefully and ask in-depth questions about each of your experiences, and seem to be looking for a very strong answer why I was in interested, particularly within Operations.

Salary and compensation was not discussed - however, this is an entry level position so I suppose it would not have been much of an issue to match.

They're definitely looking for strong talent who can handle the chaos of a rapidly growing company.

Interview Question – After learning more about the internal operations tasks and fluctuating consumer demands - I was asked to provide several changes I would make about their processes and how to address the issues discussed.   Answer Question

San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Uber in October 2013.

Interview Details – I apply on the career fair. Got two phone interview a week later. Not difficult algorithm problem. But I have difficult to hear on the phone. It seems it is very noisy at office. Then got an on-site invitation. Recruiter said the interview will be 3 hours but actually it is 2 hours with 3 people. It seems the interview is poorly organized. They ask me a lot of javascript question which i am familiar with.

Interview Question – A lot of javascript related   Answer Question

San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Uber in August 2013.

Interview Details – I was contacted by a recruiter via LinkedIn who was looking for a backend developer, I informed her that wasn't my speciality but if they were looking for <insert speciality here> I'd be happy to talk to them. She passed me off to another recruiter who set me up with a call with the hiring manager.

Call with hiring manager mostly covered non-technical topics, largely about how my speciality might fit in at Uber. After that I had an onsite interview scheduled.

The onsite was a technically rigorous interview with three sessions, it reminded me of the Google style interview process. Some whiteboard coding, lots of discussions about how my speciality could fit in at Uber and a lot of sysadmin style technology questions. Everyone I met was really pleasant and very smart.

I got a call just under a week later saying that they I had done well but weren't convinced that I had demonstrated sufficient software engineering skills (outside my speciality) and asked if I could do a take home coding test. I finished the test in a handful of hours over two evenings and got it back to them. From the sounds of things the code test normally happens before the onsite interview. A few days after that I heard that they wanted to make an offer.

At this point I was also waiting for an offer from another company and told them so and asked for some time. The recruiter was happy to give me time to consider other offers and went through the offer in some detail. The offer was a good (but not amazing) salary plus stock options, the stock options were worth almost as much as the salary at the present valuation of the company (according to the recruiter).

The story takes an unexpected detour here as my other offer is delayed due to problems at the other company. The recruiter was very understanding but grew a little frustrated as the delay turned into a multiple week saga. Eventually the other company made an offer that had a similar salary component but a much larger equity component. It was a hard choice but I was more interested in the market segment of the other company so I declined Uber's offer.

Everyone I met at Uber was great and I would have been delighted to work there.

Reason for Declining – I accepted a competing offer from a company in a different market segment with slightly better equity.

Community Manager Interview

Community Manager
San Francisco, CA

I applied online - interviewed at Uber in July 2013.

Interview Details – The interview process was professional and friendly. The recruiters were prompt in response. There were 3 interviews. One screening with the recruiter, one with the hiring manager, then and onsite with several current team members. There was a pretty time consuming creative exercise but it was reasonable.

Interview Question – I'm not the best at rattling off promo/event ideas when nervous.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Negotiated a little but didn't push too hard.

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Uber? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Uber interview questions and advice in San Francisco, CA. All 20 interview reviews posted anonymously by Uber employees and interview candidates.