Ubisoft Developer Interview Questions

4.0

Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Ubisoft (San Francisco, CA) in January 2010.

Interview

I was contacted initially by a hiring manager. Spoke on the phone with two developers. I was flown out and interviewed in person by whole team. Flown home with offer following a few days later.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Short, but honest and fair.

Other Interview Reviews for Ubisoft

Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Ubisoft (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in June 2010.

Interview

Before we start, Ubisoft Toronto has received 260 million dollars in funding from the Ontario Government in an effort to create jobs. With that in mind let’s begin. I first applied to Ubisoft Toronto online. I was really impressed with their job board and I was eager to hear from them. Sadly, it after a month I haven’t heard anything. It was really hard to even get a hold at anybody in the company. I know it’s difficult to get a job in the video game industry and they have a lot of wannabes who apply to them every day. I completely understand why it is so hard and why the interview process would be so closed. But this really hurts people who know what they are doing and are trying to get a job. It took me several long distance calls over a period of about a week to actually get to the HR department at Ubisoft Toronto. I finally got the number and the right person to call. The interview started off. However, at every interview for a video game company you are going to get asked this question: “Do you have experience in the video game industry”. You pretty much have to say yes to this or else you won’t even get considered for a job. Luckily, I had programmed, designed and made the art to several games. I also satisfied the technical requirements to upload to console and mobile marketplaces. I made all of the parts of a game from scratch and uploaded them to commercial marketplaces to sell. The reason why I made these games is that few people in the industry have made commercial games by themselves (especially console games). This is where the interview took a sharp 180 degree turn. Apparently, all of my accomplishments on my resume were in-adequate. I should also point out I have a 4 year bachelor’s degree from a respected university as well. At this point the interviewer was a little bit rude and condescending which I felt was unnecessary. Instead of talking about my accomplishments he dismissed them. What was really needed was experience on a AAA game. This is problematic because in order to get experience on a AAA game you need a job first and most of the time a circular logic argument is presented. I had then told him how hard it was for me to actually program, make the art, design and satisfy the certifications to upload to the various marketplaces. I had told him that in order to actually get these games out to the marketplace I had to put in long hours after my job. For me being productive and ambitious were not just bullet points on my resume, I had proof and I did the absolute best job I could with the resources I had. The interviewer was not impressed, and I really got the sense that he didn't even want to talk to me further. I had then explained that my current job was very unsatisfying and I longed to be with creative and ambitious people like myself. It wasn't enough and the interviewer said something along the lines of “We really need people with AAA experience” I really tried to fight through that with as much logic as I could but that circular logic wall was put up at every turn. I made sure I had a regular portfolio and resume that a standard person would apply with. My name was in the credits for several indie games. But indie games are not AAA games and are therefore irrelevant at least in the particular interviewer’s mind. Eventually the interview questions and answers just went around in circles and I ended the conversation. I personally felt defeated. I should point out that if you go find the LinkedIn of employees that were hired most of them have not made and sold games. Lots of them don’t know how to code. In the following months I applied to Ubisoft and tried to contact the same person and other HR people at company but I had a feeling I had been blacklisted as my calls and emails were not returned. I would have loved to come for a programming test or something along those lines. If I had come in, got tested and failed I would have felt much better about the situation. For me, failing that test would have proved to me that I was not ready to work there. Instead the interview left me a little bitter for a few months after. Ubisoft grosses about 975 Euros or about 1 billion USD a year. Their net profits are around the 260 Euro range. Why they needed to use taxpayer money to fund their operation in Ontario is a little confusing. That 260 million dollars that was granted was supposed to create jobs in Ontario. In conclusion it was a difficult interview. As hard as I tried to make my resume competitive it simply wasn’t enough. The tone of voice and condescending remarks about my portfolio were a little unprofessional. I wish Ubisoft and other applicants the best of luck. If somebody from Ubsioft is reading this, then I suggest reviewing your hiring policies.

Interview Questions

• How many games do you play in your spare time?   1 Answer