Ubisoft Interview Questions

Updated Feb 22, 2015
Updated Feb 22, 2015

2.9

Producer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Ubisoft.

Very standard job interview procedure. You get interviewed by three to five people to see if you are a good fit. If you’re assuming that a tight job market means that an employer doesn’t have to exert much effort to fill its open positions, think again.

Knowing how to “hire smart” is a must for any employer, no matter what the economy looks like. A company that does not think strategically about recruiting could miss out on the best candidates, fail to hire a diverse workforce or worse - expose itself to liability for discriminatory hiring practices.

Now is the time to take a critical look at your hiring process to make sure it is efficient and effective. Remember: A little bit of common sense goes a long way toward hiring the best employees.

What Do You Need in a New Employee?

The first step in your recruiting process should be to prepare a well thought-out job description that can be used for both hiring and employment purposes. When creating a job description, keep the following in mind:

Student Ambassador Interview

Filled out an application that was online. 30 minute phone interview, and found out in a week about acceptance to the position. All questions asked were expected, no curve balls.

Producer Interview

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Ubisoft in June 2014.

This is a write up for the San Francisco development team.

Standard process:
    Phone screen with HR - The HR contact, Shawn McGrady, was forthcoming with a significant amount of information about the process and what I could expect going forward. He was very helpful with information about staffing needs for the studio, current staffing, projects that were hiring for the position (without details about the actual project - keeping confidential info close to his sleeve until an NDA was signed), some details about the technology being used for the projects. He was forthright about how long the process would likely take - 6 months. (And was spot on in his estimate!) Asked standard questions: Relevant previous experience, why Ubisoft, why was I looking for a new position, strengths/weaknesses, etc.

Phone call with who would be direct supervisor - Standard questions about production experience. Conversation about exposure to both on and off site internal teams, communication style and channels, communication process, problem solving skills, experience with outsourcing and insourcing, how I evaluate for improving processes and come to a strategy, mentality about how to work with a team and leadership qualities, my thoughts on communication style for studios - open/semi-closed etc.

On site with who would be direct supervisor and studio head over lunch - There was a little more information about the project, not enough to know exactly what it was, but general things - genre, play style, production phase status and upcoming challenges. They were very open about studio culture information, discussion about what games they were currently playing, the good and bad about those games. It was clear that the studio is one full of people who enjoy games and who want to make great games. This seemed to mostly be about communication style, passion for games, and fit in the production group and project leadership.

Onsite with leads in the studio, most from the project I was being targeted for - 6 hours of mostly individual meetings with about 8 people. List of folks to chat with was HR Manager, Tech Lead for the studio, Studio Creative Director, Lead Designer, Associate Producer and Production Coordinator, Senior Producer and Studio EP. A lot of the questions were about what I thought I could help them with/how I could make an immediate impact, and in particular my communication style - open and frank. A few questions from folks about why Ubisoft and why SF in particular. And a LOT of talk about games. What I was playing at the time, what they were playing at the time and our thoughts on and experience with each. The full day interview included an off site lunch, and conversation over lunch was mostly about communication style and culture fit - not specifically about production and work but a general fit for the studio.

Interview Questions
    • All questions were pretty standard. No real curve balls.   Answer Question

Artist Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Ubisoft in April 2014.

HR was friendly and professional
    The requirements sounded like a perfect match for my skillset, so I applied. They answered, but sent an art-test. Unfortunanenly, it required a skillset which was clearly not listed in the requirements. Thus, it was a bit difficult.

Anyways, not complaining. probably just a small communication issue - can happen with thousands of applicants and openings.

Interview Questions
    • art test deviated strongly from the requirements of the job title.   Answer Question

Senior Business Intelligence Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Ubisoft in January 2014.

phone with HR and HM, then onsite

Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at Ubisoft.

There were about 3 to 4 rounds of interviews meeting with several people above and at the same level to your applied position.

Initially you communicate with a recruiter through email to coordinate a telephone interview. The phone interview starts with an extensive overview on how Ubisoft is structured then proceeds to your typical Q&A. Please make note the overview is a long-winded speech.

If invited back you meet with HR and everyone else . It's mostly conversational mixed with Q&A as opposed to situational or behavorial. The people seemed nice, easy to speak with, and has worked there for a very long time. Average 5+ years.

The crowd isn't diverse at all and it's a tight knitted group. You guys can do the math on this as some might approve but others might not.

It'll be interesting to see the stats on diversity: gender, ethnicity, openly LGBT, and also income disparity at this company. From my memory, there was only one person of color in the office.

PR Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Ubisoft in February 2013.

I was initially impressed with how quickly I was contacted after applying. I applied online and received an email from a recruiter less than two weeks later, scheduling a phone interview on the next business day. The interview was a pretty standard first round interview - Why are you interested in this company and this position, tell me about your experience, strengths and weaknesses, etc. I was told there were four other candidates being interviewed, and that I would know if I moved forward by the end of the week. I did (what I perceived to be) very well and was confident that I would advance. I followed up with the recruiter four times over the next three weeks, hearing little other than that the decision was still with the hiring manager. After three weeks, I followed up again and was told there were other candidates with interests that better matched the position. After keeping me on the hook that long, I would have appreciated some more specific feedback.

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Ubisoft.

3 phone interviews, 2 in person interviews. First in person interview was with Director and VP of sales which ran about 2 hours and included me doing a sales pitch/presentation on 3 new product launches. Second in person interview at corporate involved 8 interviews over 7 hours with a fly in and fly out day of. Was certain I wouldn't get an offer because several of the interviewers were brutal.

Interview Questions
    The offer was pretty firm and no opportunity to negotiate

Campus Brand Ambassador Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through other source. The process took a weekinterviewed at Ubisoft in January 2012.

Series of phone calls

Accepted contract offer

Business Development Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Ubisoft in July 2011.

Applied online. Contacted by email from internal recruiter. 1 Hour phone call with internal recruiter. 1 Hour phone call with VP.

Interview Questions
    • How do you compile and make a P&L?   View Answer
    • Regarding a development contract, what are the issues that take the longest to negotiate?   Answer Question